Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump View Post
Here's another...

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf

hover your mouse of "Programs That Help"
Yeah. Programs that help other fundie Christians--or those we hope we can convert. That's not charity, bro. That's an investment.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Yeah. Programs that help other fundie Christians--or those we hope we can convert. That's not charity, bro. That's an investment.
Since you chose to make those comments in response to the Salvation Army link, are you trying to say those bell ringers at Wal Mart are there only in hopes of converting us all to their religion, so we can go ring bells too?

Sure, most churches hope to convert others, but that should not be presumed to be their only motivation when it comes to charity. If you're going to second guess the Salvation Army, who's slogan is Doing The Most Good, then what are you going to say the United Way's under-handed motive is?

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Last edited by jefelump; 12-25-2008 at 11:08 PM.
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
Since you chose to make those comments in response to the Salvation Army link, are you trying to say those bell ringers at Wal Mart are there only in hopes of converting us all to their religion, so we can go ring bells too?

Sure, most churches hope to convert others, but that should not be presumed to be their only motivation when it comes to charity. If you're going to second guess the Salvation Army, who's slogan is Doing The Most Good, then what are you going to say the United Way's under-handed motive is?
I used to give those guys some change, but now that I have learned they are a religious organization, they won't be seeing any more money from me. I believe in helping my fellow man, not helping my resident wacko church and its churchgoers.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So many church "hatas" on the left. Sad really.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
I used to give those guys some change, but now that I have learned they are a religious organization, they won't be seeing any more money from me. I believe in helping my fellow man, not helping my resident wacko church and its churchgoers.
Exactly.

Democrats: Church is shit and only wackos attend church and donate their money there. The money so donated is used to make ministers rich and for backhanded processes like recruiting more wackos.

I wish Obama had explained the Dem position on this so well. see post #19 again
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wmbwinn; 12-25-2008 at 11:16 PM.
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
The United Way a religious organization? Perhaps, I really don't know. I stopped supporting them when they withdrew support to the Boy Scouts. Had nothing to do with religion.

But your comments here are very telling. You don't want to designate churches as charities, because you're anti-church. It really has nothing to do at all with the charitable work they do. If they are religious, f@#$ em.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
You don't want to designate churches as charities
Churches AREN'T charities! Churches may or not engage in charitable works, but churches at essence are not charities.

That's just silly, to claim that they are.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Churches AREN'T charities! Churches may or not engage in charitable works, but churches at essence are not charities.

That's just silly, to claim that they are.
as Mavdog pointed out, the IRS defines churches as charities. So, you have a definitions problem.

Further, both you and Mavdog did not realize the Salvation Army was a Church. They are so obviously devoted to charitable work that you didn't even recognize it as a Church.

They are obviously a charitable group. They are also a Church.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn View Post
as Mavdog pointed out, the IRS defines churches as charities. So, you have a definitions problem.
WHAT? you have severe comphrehension issue!
the irs does NOT define churches as charities.
in fact the irs has registration requirements for charities, they don't have the same requirements for churches.

get a clue...

Quote:
Further, both you and Mavdog did not realize the Salvation Army was a Church. They are so obviously devoted to charitable work that you didn't even recognize it as a Church.

They are obviously a charitable group. They are also a Church.
yes, they are a "church", but they are not a typical church in how almost every other church is structured. the military framework, their work outside of a set facility, they are very singular in many ways.

Last edited by Mavdog; 12-25-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
why do you refer to the salvation army as a "church"? they don't.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

The Salvation Army is a church. You can study that out for yourself if you really care to.