Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-25-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I was at the '86 World Series before I wasn't....and I ran in the Boston Marathon...what's next? The internet?

Al Gore must be his Idol and Hero......

Despite doubts by watchdog groups about the logistics of being at two events at the same time, Sen. John Kerry did attend both a political banquet in Boston and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series in New York on the same night 18 years ago, according to the Democratic presidential candidate's senior campaign advisor.

In interviews with ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine, Kerry recalled his sufferings as a Boston Red Sox fan as Bill Buckner failed to field a ground ball hit by Mookie Wilson with two outs in the 10th inning. The Mets rallied to win that game, 6-5, and Game 7 two nights later, extending Boston's World Series drought that followed its title in 1918.

"Do I believe in it?" Kerry said in response to a question about the Red Sox's supposed Curse of the Bambino. "No, but it certainly makes a powerful argument from time to time. I mean, I don't believe in curses, but I do think that we've been under a cloud here and there. I was 30 yards away from Billy Buckner in that famous Shea Stadium game in '86. So I've been there in the heartbreaks. And I was screaming at the television set when Grady [Little] did not pull Pedro [Martinez] out."

Web bloggers point to a Boston Globe article from Oct. 26, 1986, the day after Game 6 of the World Series, in which Kerry was noted to have attended the Massachusetts Latino Democratic Committee banquet the night before at the World Trade Center in South Boston.

"Sen. Kerry attended a public event in [Massachusetts] in the early evening and hopped a shuttle flight from Boston to NYC. [Kerry] got to Shea with the game in progress," Michael Meehan, Kerry's senior campaign advisor, wrote to ESPN.com in an e-mail. "Remember the Sox were up 3-2 so all of Red Sox Nation was planning for a Series win."

Kerry had also claimed to have ran in the Boston Marathon in the late 1970s or early '80s, though no records of his finish exist. Meehan said Kerry ran the race unofficially "as a bandit." Running the race without a number was more commonplace 25 years ago than it is today.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:I was at the '86 World Series before I wasn't....and I ran in the Boston Marathon...what's next? The internet?

Let's just say that his running the marathon as a bandit sounds marginally more plausible than the scenario he paints about having attended he ball game, and leave it at that.

I wonder if he still has the ticket stub? Or if, given his alleged proximity to the action, there exists any film footage of his horse-faced mug in the background.

I also wonder what he remembers his marathon finish time as.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:I was at the '86 World Series before I wasn't....and I ran in the Boston Marathon...what's next? The internet?

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
I wonder if he still has the ticket stub?
I think he threw his stub back over the fence in protest. Or maybe that was someone else's stub he threw over. What's really confusing is that some people were using the words "receipt" and "stub" interchangeably back then . . .
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=john+lovitz/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=11ikfnmc3/*-http%3A//www.punditmark.com/archives/lovitz.jpg[/img]

I was, um, in Boston, but I hopped a flight to New York and got to the game in progress. Yeah, I hopped a flight to New York, got to the game in progress, and was 30 yards away when Billy Buckner let the ball slip through his legs. Ol' Billy, he's a friend of mine. Yeah, he's a friend of mine, and we were all heartbroken. Almost as heartbroken as the time that I nearly won the Boston marathon. Yeah, I nearly won the Boston marathon, and I was running...without a number...yeah, that's what it was. I was running without a number, because I was...a bandit! A bandit is what I was, and speaking of bandits, there were a lot of those when I visited Cambodia on Christmas Day in 1968. Yeah, I was in Cambodia on Christmas Day in 1968, and more recently I held a summit with the U.N. Security Council, and one of the ambassadors was from Cambodia.

Yeah, that's the ticket!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I think that there should be an investigation to see if he used his influence as a public official to obtain what I'm sure were difficult-to-obtain, and expensive tickets.

Also, did he use any inappropriate influence to gain priority in an airline traffic control queue, either in taking off from Logan, or in landing out at LGA. (Does he recall, in fact, whether it was LGA or JFK into which his plane landed. I know that personally it would be seared, seared into my memory.)

Finally, what kind of example does it set for him to have run in a race without paying any entry fee. Banditting a race like that is the equivalent of theft--taking advantage of services provided, without paying an entry fee. It contriubtes to the potential for unsafe event conditions when more people particiapte in an event than were planned for and provided for logistically. Did he take a cup of Gatorade prepared for another runner, who DID pay the entry fee? Did he smear balm on his nipples resulting in an insufficient supply of balm for other runners, whose own nipples went parched by the chafing fires of a too-tight polyester singlet? Oh the callous indifference to the plight of the comman man's nipples shown by John Kerry. I would bet money that he his a nipple-balm scofflaw.

Then he probably usurped some of the glory of the official entrants, trying to ride their coattails. I wonder if there is any documentary photographic evidence whatsoever that he didn't quite on Heartbreak Hill. Surely some other runner would remember seeing him.

I would like to see some photographic documentary evidence that he actually started and finished the race, and that he didn't enter the course somewhere along the way.

This just further demonstrates Kerry's attitude of being above the rules, of his sense of "entitlement".

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I was at the '86 World Series before I wasn't....and I ran in the Boston Marathon...what's next? The internet?

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=john+lovitz/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=11ikfnmc3/*-http%3A//www.punditmark.com/archives/lovitz.jpg[/img]

I was, um, in Boston, but I hopped a flight to New York and got to the game in progress. Yeah, I hopped a flight to New York, got to the game in progress, and was 30 yards away when Billy Buckner let the ball slip through his legs. Ol' Billy, he's a friend of mine. Yeah, he's a friend of mine, and we were all heartbroken. Almost as heartbroken as the time that I nearly won the Boston marathon. Yeah, I nearly won the Boston marathon, and I was running...without a number...yeah, that's what it was. I was running without a number, because I was...a bandit! A bandit is what I was, and speaking of bandits, there were a lot of those when I visited Cambodia on Christmas Day in 1968. Yeah, I was in Cambodia on Christmas Day in 1968, and more recently I held a summit with the U.N. Security Council, and one of the ambassadors was from Cambodia.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Absolutely one of the top ten greatest posts ever.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote