Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-01-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default 7/31 ESPN- David Aldridge Chat

David Aldridge: Afternoon, everyone. Thanks for taking the time to look in on our chat. Lots of movement means lots of questions...so let's get to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel (Ohio): What do think about Utah's inability to get any free agents to sign (especially big name ones)? They are almost $20 million under the salary cap. You would think that with that much money, they could at least sign SOMEBODY. What's their next move?

David Aldridge: When you're a bad team and you're trying to get free agents, you only have one option--overpay. That's what the Wizards had to do to get Gilbert Arenas, and that was a special circumstance because the Warriors couldn't match under the rules. When a good team agrees to pay, like the Kings did with Brad Miller, bad teams have little chance. I think the Jazz can only wait until next summer, when they might have even more room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dave ac, nj: Hey DA, hows it going? what are your thoughts on g karl/ is he done? did the bucks hold him long enoupg that he could interview for other openings?

David Aldridge: I talked to George last week and he didn't sound like he was in any hurry to coach next season. I think he'll sit out this season and see what's out there next summer.

Greg from MPLS: Do you think the t-wolves have improved enough to challenge the spurs for the division title? When KG has the ball on the block, where are they going to hide the Kandi man....Rasho could shoot the elbow jumper, Kandi can not.

David Aldridge: Greg, they're not in the Spurs' class yet, but I do think the gap has closed between the Wolves and the top four teams. I think Minnesota should be able to compete with Dallas and Sacramento, for example, for one of the top four spots...but I believe the Spurs and Lakers are a little ahead of everybody else now.

Ramon: (Plano, TX):: With the Mavericks losing out on Mourning and practically every other good center left in free agency, and losing out on Pippen and Horry, what do you see as some possibilities for them to improve this offseason?

David Aldridge: I can't see Cuban saying on the sidelines much longer. I don't know this, but I would suspect he's trying very hard to get someone like a Theo Ratliff or a Brian Grant. I know he's said the Mavs may have to develop some of their own young bigs, but they're not good enough.

Mike (Arizona): Hey, Dave, Do you think the San Antonio Spurs can repeat as NBA champions next season? Also, do you think they have done a good job in free agency, by acquiring Nesterovic, Mercer, and Turkoglu?

David Aldridge: The Spurs are well-positioned for next season. I think they're a much deeper team with those additions (and don't forget Horry). They will miss David Robinson to be sure, but I think they'll be a more athletic, deeper squad. And it's not outside the realm of possibility that they re-sign Stephen Jackson, either.

Shannon, Phoenix AZ: It seems the Phoenix Suns are the only team not participating in this free agent frenzy this summer. Do you think they will be able to get rid of Tom Gugliotta's and Penny Hardaway's contracts in order to sign a free agent in the near future?

David Aldridge: Googs comes off the books after this season. It's going to be hard to move Penny with his numbers. I think I said this last week: the Suns aren't really going to be able to do anything for a while, with Steph, Marion and Penny making $37 milion this season. And they'll have to pay Amare in two years as well.

Scott: Hollywood, MD: David, Could this be the year the Pacers are finally able to do something with all that young talent? Do you think Reggie can bounce back from his dismal playoff performance and show critics he's not done?

David Aldridge: They want to upgrade at the point, and if they can, I think they have a chance. I don't think Pollard is as much a downgrade over Miller as some seem to.

Colby (Brandon,Ms): How much longer does Allen Iverson have on his contract with the sixers and do you see him leaving when he becomes a free agnet?

David Aldridge: Allen has two years remaining (including 03-04). I think he'll observe their moves over the next two years before deciding. When you're a superstar player in the east it's hard not to stay where you are, because you have a chance.

Juan (Los Angeles, CA): What up DA, love your work! Forget all the hype surrounding the Laker's Fab Four for a minute. Do you think they have the right personnel to run the triangle or will Phil cut his stars some slack and allow them to play more one-on-one basketball?

David Aldridge: Phil believes in the triangle. I don't see any changes in offensive philosophy. It'll be up to Payton and Malone to adjust.

Calvin, CA: Do you see it funny (as I do) that Cleveland is getting air time cuz of LeBron? Nobody knows how he will do in his rookie year, and I think it is ridiculous that broadcastings are putting them in the air without ANY guarantees.

David Aldridge: People want to see LeBron, Calvin. I don't think anybody should make any apologies for putting him on the air. Every place he goes is sold out and there's a buzz in the air. I'm curious to see him myself.

John: Bellaire, Texas:: Is there anyway the Houston Rockets can retain James Posey?

David Aldridge: You can color him gone, John. The Rockets won't match the offer. That's why they moved so quick to sign Eric Piatkowski.

andrew (warwick,Ri): Do you think the celtics will start Kedrick Brown, Eric Williams, or Jumaine Jones at SF?

David Aldridge: I think Eric Williams, Andrew. He's been a solid defensive player over the years and he knows what O'Brien wants. Kedrick has just been too inconsistent and I can't see Jumaine being able to step in right away.

Alain, Atlanta: what do you think of the Jason Terry situation in Atl and what kind of additional moves do you expect from the new management before season starts?

David Aldridge: I'm not sure Jason won't wind up staying in Atlanta. From talking to the Jazz I haven't gotten the indication that they're going to aggressively pursue him. As I said earlier I'm sure there will be a lot of teams trying to get Ratliff.

Kerry (Charlotte, NC): David, do you think Speedy Claxton is the answer to the Warriors point guard problem? Can he really run his own team?

David Aldridge: I like Speedy a lot and I think he's going to be a solid starter for them. He's not the scorer that Arenas is, but I think he's a pretty good defensive player and he can hit open shots.

Mansa(L.A.): How's it going David? I wanted to know is there any talks whatsoever involving the Blazers. Is Rasheed still on the trading block? And if so, who do you think they are looking for in return considering the storng play of Randolph.

David Aldridge: The Blazers are trying to move Patterson, but there haven't been a lot of takers so far. I think they'd move Rasheed if they got a star back, but considering he's a free agent after this season, keeping him has value, too.

Adrian: (Cincinnati, Ohio): Hey DA, Please answer my question.I feel that the Nets wasted $5 million by resigning Lucious Harris..Whats your opinion about that. Wouldnt they be much better by signing a player like jim jackson. Thanks

David Aldridge: I disagree, Adrian. Lucious is a really solid player who's been in their system and knows the plays and personnel. He's respected by everybody. Giving him $5 million isn't a waste; it's a relative bargain.

Armaan (Madison, WI): DA, please tell me the Bucks will do something to stop the torture I have went through these last few months? Will they at least attempt to move Kukoc's expiring salary during the season for the inside force they failed to acquire for Robinson, Cassell or Allen in past trades?

David Aldridge: I don't think moving Toni will get them a legit post presence. I think Milwaukee is done paring salaries for now and will play with the team it has.

Geoff (Saskatoon, Canada): Hey DA. Today's my birthday and all I want is for you to give the Grizzlies a little love. What are the chances they can sneak into the 8th playoff slot?

David Aldridge: None, Geoff. But happy birthday just the same.

Danny: Fairfax, VA: DA you da man! How do you think the Wiz will do with Arenas and Stack in the backcourt along with (hopefully)breakout seasons from Jared Jeffries and Kwame at the 3 and 4? Any playoff chances? Where does Larry Hughes fit? THANKS.

David Aldridge: The Wizards' chances depend on Kwame, Jeffries and Haywood. If their young bigs improve, the team will improve. I like their 1-2-3 positions, but you don't win with those. You win inside.

marcos ,fairfield,ca: Please give me a reason to remain an optimist Sonics fan, can they sign anybody better than Daniels , tell me that Wally is in his out please

David Aldridge: I can't see Seattle being a major factor in the west. I think Ridnour and Collison will help in time, but right now, they just don't have the productive guys inside that you need.

Dave (Boulder, CO): Hey David. It seems like a realistic possibility that Earl Boykins will be joining the Nuggets soon. I'm wondering about someone like Stephen Jackson though? Lamar Odom? Your thoughts on these players?

David Aldridge: Jack is looking at the Nuggets, Jazz and Hawks. I think he'd be a better fit for a system team like Utah, even though his skills would seem more apt for a team that wants to run like the Nuggets. Denver doesn't seem very interested in Odom.

Chris in NH: David, what impact do you think Marcus Banks will have this season? Can he make the Celtics a running team?

David Aldridge: Marcus looked really good running the team in the summer league. Now, I know summer leagues are traditionally guard dominant, but he looked strong, decisive and quick. I think he'll be the starter at the point when the season begins. Looks like a real good pickup for Boston.

Gregg (Torrance,CA): Is the salary cap really working relative to increasing fan support?

David Aldridge: That's hard to say, Gregg. I think the cap has been good at keeping the smaller-market teams together, like Sacramento and San Antonio. And keeping good teams together is good for the league, I think.

Marius (Tromso, Norway): Hey David. Could you PLEASE answer this question for me. This is probably the 100th time I have posted this same question over the last year or so. Which player holds the record for the longest streak of games with double digit scoring, and who is currently the closest to breaking that record?

David Aldridge: Marius, I'm pretty sure that's Michael Jordan, but I have no idea what active player is next in line. I'll be happy to hear from the peanut gallery on this one.

São Paulo - Brasil: How do you see the future of Nuggets? Are they in the right way? Who is the better SG to play with Melo/Nene/Skita/Mille(I hope)?

David Aldridge: It's going to take a while. But Carmelo and Nene are going to be a pretty good tandem. I think Miller will be there; haven't heard anything about the Clippers matching at the last moment. So that would be three pretty good pieces to start with.

Jerome, Dayton: I like the signing of Elden Campbell for the Pistons. However, do you see them making anymore moves via trade or free agency to get a better scorer at the 2 or 3 position. Sorry, I am a true Detroit fan and I am not yet sold on the "Prince".

David Aldridge: I think you can pretty much count on the Pistons moving one or more of those half-dozen bigs they now have. My guess would be either Rebraca or Okur and Robinson. You may not be sold on Prince, Jerome, but they are.

David Aldridge: I've gotten a couple of folks saying Kareem holds the record for consecutive double-digit scoring games, by the way.

LC (Anchorage): With Pip back in Chicago, and yet another solid center (Brad Miller) out of the east is this the year the Bulls young guys taste the 8th spot? Curry will be an offensive monster very soon.

David Aldridge: You know, it's not an impossibility. I think Scottie can be a real good influence on that team, but I wonder how Jalen will handle Pip's presence. Curry certainly made strides at the end of last season.

Dustin (Yorba Linda, CA): Why is this offseason being hailed as a Clipper success? Sure, Sterling actually spent some money, but the Clippers have still lost Miller and Piatkowski, and haven't added any players...and the Clips weren't exactly great last year

David Aldridge: You have to give Donald Sterling his due. I have been critical of him like everyone else, but he's made commitments to a solid head coach in Dunleavy and the two most prominent free agents he had. If the Clips can work something out with Odom I think they've had a tremendous offseason. You have to crawl before you walk, Dustin.

Joel (Orlando,FL): Mr. Alridge. Isnt it safe to say that the Magic are now more than ever likely to make the eastern conference finals? Last year they were one game away from beating detroit, and they did it without howard, lue, gaines, bogans, and pachulia. Thanks for the reply.

David Aldridge: Orlando has had a strong offseason. I like what they did to shore themselves up at the point. I still am not sure that Howard isn't a duplication of Gooden, but the Magic certainly should be right there with Detroit and Indy as the Nets' challengers.

Rod, Detroit, MI`: Besides Kevin Garnett, who are the top potential free agents in 2004? Also, might it be too early to ask you to predict what potentially will happen with these free agents?

David Aldridge: The top free agents, in no particular order: Kobe (says he'll opt out), Rasheed Wallace, Antoine Walker (has an opt out, and I think he'll use it), Vlade Divac, Keon Clark, Bones Barry, Antonio McDyess, Jamaal Magliore, Toni Kukoc, Adonal Foyle. Among the restricted free agents would be Jamal Crawford, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson and Kenyon Martin.

David Aldridge: Folks, the hour has flown by. Thanks for taking the time to take part. There were 1,900 questions in the queue this week. At the end of July! That tells you how much people are into pro ball these days. Thanks again and we'll do it again soon.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default 7/31 ESPN- David Aldridge Chat

Excerpt:
Quote:
Ramon: (Plano, TX):: With the Mavericks losing out on Mourning and practically every other good center left in free agency, and losing out on Pippen and Horry, what do you see as some possibilities for them to improve this offseason?

David Aldridge: I can't see Cuban saying on the sidelines much longer. I don't know this, but I would suspect he's trying very hard to get someone like a Theo Ratliff or a Brian Grant. I know he's said the Mavs may have to develop some of their own young bigs, but they're not good enough.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote