Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Heat make offer to Stepania - but he doesn't bite

Walker signs with Heat, eager to work with Riley

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff writer
Posted August 2 2003

MIAMI ยท Samaki Walker might not have been the Los Angeles-based forward at the top of the Heat's shopping list, but the feeling wasn't mutual.

As expected, on Friday the Heat signed the 6-foot-9, 255-pound Walker to a one-year deal believed to be the minimum $876,179 for a seven-year pro.

"We've always looked at Miami for coach [Pat] Riley's style of coaching and play," Walker said at AmericanAirlines Arena. "I'm excited about having an opportunity that's wide open for myself, not just to play, but to prove to the rest of the league that I'm still adamant and hungry about this game."

Walker, 27, the ninth overall draft pick in 1996 by Dallas, has shown flashes of double-double potential, but mostly he has been an underachieving backup dwarfed in the enormous shadows of Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan the past four seasons.

"I see myself as a scorer, but on those type of teams I definitely played a role," Walker said. "That builds character, which I think every player needs. I got a chance to play with some great players, some great veterans as well, and I learned a lot."

Walker's still not sure how he went from starting power forward for most of the Lakers' 2001-02 championship season to O'Neal's seldom-used backup last season.

"I'm still asking that question," said Walker, who posted career-best numbers in 1997-98 for Dallas when he averaged 8.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, but slumped to 4.4 and 5.5, respectively, last year.

The signing was held up because apparently the Heat wanted its medical staff to examine his left arm, which was broken in a July 9 one-car accident near his hometown of Columbus, Ohio. The cast and stitches were removed Friday, replaced with a Velcro splint.

Walker said he will begin rehabilitation today and should be ready for the start of training camp Oct. 1. Walker, who said he fell asleep at the wheel, explained that the DUI charge was dropped and his license reinstated.

"We are very excited to bring in a player of Walker's experience," said Heat General Manager Randy Pfund in a written statement. "He's a very good rebounder, and he can play both forward and center."

Walker's agent Tony Dutt said he has been talking with the Heat since the start of the free-agency period July 1.

"They've had their eye on him for a while," Dutt said. "This was the best fit for him to expand his game, where he can really explode and show his talents to what they really are."

Walker believes his work ethic has been unfairly maligned (by Kobe Bryant) and that Riley, the king of reclamation projects, is the best coach to bring out his potential.

"Everybody knows Ike Austin," Walker said. "I look at that guy and Pat Riley's system and what Pat was able to do for him. ...

"Coming in with the opportunity to work with Pat, I think the sky's the limit."

Walker, a career 46.8 percent shooter, was often the fifth scoring option on a talented Lakers squad and hopes to land a starting spot on the still-developing Heat roster.

STEPANIA SHOPPING

While the Heat ponders whether to give Clippers forward Lamar Odom an offer sheet, it offered one to Vladimir Stepania, its free agent 7-1 center, but not enough to keep him from testing the market.

"The Heat has made a respectable offer, but it's not what Vladi is looking for right now," agent Marc Fleisher said.

Stepania, 27, second in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes, made $1.35 million last year.

Fleisher compared Stepania's numbers to Elden Campbell's, who signed a two-year deal worth a reported $8.4 million with the Pistons.

Harvey Fialkov can be reached at hfialkov@sun-sentinel.com.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Heat make offer to Stepania - but he doesn't bite

Where is Santa Claus?

Old 08-04-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

I guess he won't take Cubes offer of .5 mill
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:44 AM   #4
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Where is Santa Claus?
I guess the Mavs have been naughty and are getting a lump of cole.