Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #601
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting for the inevitable bitching about how we didn't get Aaron Gordon for JJ's expiring contract and a 2nd round pick.

Fournier to the Celts for two second rounders is frustrating, but keep in mind that we have a better record than them, so their picks are higher than our picks.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #602
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Waiting for the inevitable bitching about how we didn't get Aaron Gordon for JJ's expiring contract and a 2nd round pick.

Fournier to the Celts for two second rounders is frustrating, but keep in mind that we have a better record than them, so their picks are higher than our picks.
You guys complain about fans bitching I don't know what is worse bitching about he bitching or expecting fans to all have the same opinion on the matters at hand....
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #603
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Yeah that is the stuff that makes me mad

He got traded for peanuts and it was reported for a week that they only wanted 2nd round picks
Just giving him away......I don't understand it.....
Old 03-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #604
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
They have done a great job replacing Plumlee and Grant from last years roster with McGee and Gordon.

I have them as 2nd in the west by seasons end.
Pistons are the losers there.....how do you let Woods go just to sign those two? Granted, Grant has played solid as well as Plumlee but man....Woods looks like the real deal.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #605
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
IF the Mavs would've sucked with Luka for a few years and put some pieces around him I could've got behind that but they missed the chance to build around him with draft picks so now they are kind of stuck in his purgatory where they are fighting for 8th seeds and don't have much trade bait.
Unfortunately that is pretty much the long and short of it. You need to be in the lottery for like 3-4 years to build a contender. The KP trade was supposed to be the thing that catapulted us a head and make us a real contender. But unfortunately KP just isn't as good as we thought he was.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #606
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
You guys complain about fans bitching I don't know what is worse bitching about he bitching or expecting fans to all have the same opinion on the matters at hand....
ooh, sick burn bro.

For the record, I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me. I just find it hilarious how some fans seem to think the Mavs' assets are magically worth more than other teams' objectively more valuable assets.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #607
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Unfortunately that is pretty much the long and short of it. You need to be in the lottery for like 3-4 years to build a contender. The KP trade was supposed to be the thing that catapulted us a head and make us a real contender. But unfortunately KP just isn't as good as we thought he was.
I asked this question in the GDT last night

Why does KAT get a pass as opposed to KP?

He misses just as much time and is his game really that more reliable than KP's?

You claim KP is not a top 30 player but most consider KAT a top 15-20 player.

KP and KAT put up identical #'s just about and you can make a case that KAT defense is worse than KP
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #608
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just giving him away......I don't understand it.....
Who says we didn’t make the same offer? As already stated Boston has a worse record, so their picks are higher. We can get upset that we didn’t get him, but we don’t know that the Mavs didn’t make the same offer.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #609
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

IMO for what is left and what we have asset wise the Mavs best bet at being better is getting better play from guys we have like Jrich. The 2 losses against Clippers and Blazers were the 2 worst games of the month from Jrich where he scored a combined 10 points. Outside of those games he's been a lot better in March than he was earlier in the year so there's that.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #610
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
ooh, sick burn bro.

For the record, I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me. I just find it hilarious how some fans seem to think the Mavs' assets are magically worth more than other teams' objectively more valuable assets.
so your saying guys like Brunson, THJ and Richardson have no value around the league?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #611
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I asked this question in the GDT last night

Why does KAT get a pass as opposed to KP?

He misses just as much time and is his game really that more reliable than KP's?

You claim KP is not a top 30 player but most consider KAT a top 15-20 player.

KP and KAT put up identical #'s just about and you can make a case that KAT defense is worse than KP
Who said KAT is a top 20 player? I don't consider KAT a top 20 player. Who gives him a "pass?" What are we supposedly giving him a "pass" for?

He is better than KP though, dude. Be honest. Maybe not THAT much better, but his numbers are not "identical." They're a little better than KP's. I don't watch the Wolves at all. Only when they play the Mavs, really, so I don't have that much of a feel for his game, but I do know that KP is maddeningly inconsistent. He's one of those guys who can score 35 one night and then not score double digits the next. Is KAT also like that?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #612
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
so your saying guys like Brunson, THJ and Richardson have no value around the league?
Would you have traded Brunson, TJH, and Richardson for Fournier?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #613
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Would you have traded Brunson, TJH, and Richardson for Fournier?
That wasn't the question

But I would have engaged Orlando for Gordon
Old 03-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #614
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
That wasn't the question
Uh, it was MY question. I responded to your question with a question of my own, because I found your question to be dubious.

No, sir, I did not say that TJH, Brunson, and Richardson have "no value" around the league. I do think though that some of the posters around here seem to overrate their trade value quite a bit. Case in point....

Quote:
But I would have engaged Orlando for Gordon
And Orlando would have said no, because Denver gave them a better than anything the Mavs could.

Do you in fact know that the Mavs didn't engage Orlando for Gordon?

No, you do not. In fact I would be downright shocked if the Mavs didn't at least ask about Gordon.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #615
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Who said KAT is a top 20 player? I don't consider KAT a top 20 player. Who gives him a "pass?" What are we supposedly giving him a "pass" for?

He is better than KP though, dude. Be honest. Maybe not THAT much better, but his numbers are not "identical." They're a little better than KP's. I don't watch the Wolves at all. Only when they play the Mavs, really, so I don't have that much of a feel for his game, but I do know that KP is maddeningly inconsistent. He's one of those guys who can score 35 one night and then not score double digits the next. Is KAT also like that?
I'm just saying most fans on here and the media would claim KAT is top 20 player.

I personally think KP is better but hey that's just my opinion.

You seem to think KP is chopped liver and I think he gives you the same production as some of the other so called top big's.

Yes he has missed lots of games but we've had this convo before there are other guys who people seem to give a free pass to that has missed lots of games as well.

I believe the Mavs have two of the top 20 players in the NBA in Luka and KP and to me the issue is building a roster around those two which allows you to compete seriously in the playoffs and not just a roster that gets you to the playoffs and exit in the 1st round.

I will go on record and say that KP won't be the reason why Dallas goes home in the 1st round this year.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #616
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not have the assets to be competitive for guys like Gordon, Fournier, Norman Powell, or Vucevic then you should look to shore up the middle and bottom part of your bench. The Mavs' middle bench is streaky at best. Brunson is a keeper and maybe so is THJ. But who else on the Mavs bench makes a consistent contribution? My point isn't that the Mavs' bench sucks, but rather there should be opportunities to upgrade the roster with the assets they have in hand and who knows, maybe one of them catches fire and exceeds expectations. One example, would be Wayne Ellington. Why not see what it would take to make that trade. He would fill a role similar to Seth Curry. Small trade but potentially big payoff.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #617
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Uh, it was MY question. I responded to your question with a question of my own, because I found your question to be dubious.

No, sir, I did not say that TJH, Brunson, and Richardson have "no value" around the league. I do think though that some of the posters around here seem to overrate their trade value quite a bit. Case in point....

And Orlando would have said no, because Denver gave them a better than anything the Mavs could.

Do you in fact know that the Mavs didn't engage Orlando for Gordon?

No, you do not. In fact I would be downright shocked if the Mavs didn't at least ask about Gordon.
I think it's hard to upgrade when your telling your fan base that you love your boys in blue and your content with the top 11 players on your roster.

That is what Donnie said on the fan 105.3 the other day.

So to me the Mavs probably tried to low ball someone and I get it your not trying to give up a ransom for a player like Gordon but your also not getting that type of talent back unless your willing to trade value back.

IT wouldn't shock me if the Mavs refused to trade some of those guys

Hell it was reported that they tried to Collins for Kleber

Would trade Collins for Kleber if you were Atlanta?

Those are the type of deals it seems like the Mavs are hoping to fleece people with and if it doesn't work they will stay the course with their boys in BLUE.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #618
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I'm just saying most fans on here and the media would claim KAT is top 20 player.

I personally think KP is better but hey that's just my opinion.

You seem to think KP is chopped liver and I think he gives you the same production as some of the other so called top big's.

Yes he has missed lots of games but we've had this convo before there are other guys who people seem to give a free pass to that has missed lots of games as well.

I believe the Mavs have two of the top 20 players in the NBA in Luka and KP and to me the issue is building a roster around those two which allows you to compete seriously in the playoffs and not just a roster that gets you to the playoffs and exit in the 1st round.

I will go on record and say that KP won't be the reason why Dallas goes home in the 1st round this year.
Oh come on, stop putting words in my mouth. We have had this conversation more than enough times for you to know what my opinion of KP is. You know very well that I don't think KP is "chopped liver." I have said many time- to you- that I think KP is a good player, just not a great one. I think he's a top 40 player. I might go as high as 35. That's hardly "chopped liver."

You clearly think he's better than that. Fine. But let me just list 20 players off the top of my head without even thinking about it too hard.

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Giannis
4. Luka
5. Harden
6. Kawhi
7. Embiid
8. Jokic
9. Davis
10. Lillard
11. Curry
12. Kyrie
13. CP3
14. George
15. Beal
16. Tatum
17. Zion
18. Butler
19. Simmons
20. Gobert

That's 20 I just rattled off without thinking. I could probably add at least 10 more. Do you honestly think KP is better than anyone on that list, and if so, who?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #619
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh come on, stop putting words in my mouth. We have had this conversation more than enough times for you to know what my opinion of KP is. You know very well that I don't think KP is "chopped liver." I have said many time- to you- that I think KP is a good player, just not a great one. I think he's a top 40 player. I might go as high as 35. That's hardly "chopped liver."

You clearly think he's better than that. Fine. But let me just list 20 players off the top of my head without even thinking about it too hard.

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Giannis
4. Luka
5. Harden
6. Kawhi
7. Embiid
8. Jokic
9. Davis
10. Lillard
11. Curry
12. Kyrie
13. CP3
14. George
15. Beal
16. Tatum
17. Zion
18. Butler
19. Simmons
20. Gobert

That's 20 I just rattled off without thinking. I could probably add at least 10 more. Do you honestly think KP is better than anyone on that list, and if so, who?
George, Zion, Simmons and Gobert are debatable

Zion doesn't defend or rebound
George isn't the same player he was 3-4 years ago and I think the dude is vastly overrated
Old 03-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #620
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I think it's hard to upgrade when your telling your fan base that you love your boys in blue and your content with the top 11 players on your roster.

That is what Donnie said on the fan 105.3 the other day.

So to me the Mavs probably tried to low ball someone and I get it your not trying to give up a ransom for a player like Gordon but your also not getting that type of talent back unless your willing to trade value back.

IT wouldn't shock me if the Mavs refused to trade some of those guys

Hell it was reported that they tried to Collins for Kleber

Would trade Collins for Kleber if you were Atlanta?

Those are the type of deals it seems like the Mavs are hoping to fleece people with and if it doesn't work they will stay the course with their boys in BLUE.
Allow me to point out what I think is a contradiction in your argument. You seem to be arguing that the Mavs are not being aggressive enough in making trades, and then you turn around and argue that the Mavs are making low-ball offers. I find it ironic, because I think you, not Donnie or the Mavs, are the one overvaluing the Mavs assetts.

The Mavs offered Kleber for Collins. That was the ENTIRE offer? Do you have a link for this? Because from what I've read, Kleber was only part larger offer involving other assetts. The Hawks were not impressed. Fair enough. And no, I would not at all trade Collins for Kleber if I were the Hawks. I probably wouldn't trade for any package the Mavs could afford to offer, because the Mavs don't have much to offer at all.

As for the "we love our boys in BLUE..." I mean, what exactly is Donnie supposed to say? "Nah, we don't like our guys that much. We're actively looking to trade them." How exactly does that increase their value????
Old 03-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #621
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
George, Zion, Simmons and Gobert are debatable

Zion doesn't defend or rebound
George isn't the same player he was 3-4 years ago and I think the dude is vastly overrated
They are not debatable. I mean, you can make that debate if you want, but I don't think it's one worth having.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #622
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Looks like buy out market for Mavs

I think Drummond was traded to Clippers

Maybe Porter gets a buy out from Orlando
Old 03-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #623
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Who says we didn’t make the same offer? As already stated Boston has a worse record, so their picks are higher. We can get upset that we didn’t get him, but we don’t know that the Mavs didn’t make the same offer.
That post wasn't in regards to what the Mavs may have offered. I was simply saying I don't understand how the Celtics got him for that.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #624
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
ooh, sick burn bro.

Naw it wasn't a burn I was just commenting on what I'm witnessing. I get it. It sucks to read negativity about the Mavs especially when its the same ol' same ol'....but damn it feels like this organization is running the same ol' same ol'. I keep giving them the excuses that they didn't have the trade bait to get certain guys but I'm not sure if its just an excuse or actual truth. I think they really like how their team is constructed and basically want to trade a Datsun for a Range Rover.

Quote:
I agree. And for the record, I'd still do that trade for KP......I'm not entirely sure if they would've drafted a guy of his caliber with those draft picks anyway....but when teams are selling its tough to try and buy without recent 1st round picks available.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #625
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Looks like buy out market for Mavs

I think Drummond was traded to Clippers

Maybe Porter gets a buy out from Orlando
I wanted Ottomatic for a long time. Would love that move very much, almost like a long tryout with a playoffs for the summer/fall FA season.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #626
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
That post wasn't in regards to what the Mavs may have offered. I was simply saying I don't understand how the Celtics got him for that.
I will agree, it seems bizarre that nobody offered more than that.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #627
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Giannis
4. Luka
5. Harden
6. Kawhi
7. Embiid
8. Jokic
9. Davis
10. Lillard
11. Curry
12. Kyrie
13. CP3
14. George
15. Beal
16. Tatum
17. Zion
18. Butler
19. Simmons
20. Gobert

I'd for sure say KP is as good or better than Simmons, Robert, CP3 and Paul George.......
Old 03-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #628
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I will agree, it seems bizarre that nobody offered more than that.
Even as a contender.....and I know a lot of these teams don't have 1st round picks next season but if you're a top team....don't you trade a 1st for Fournier? I know I would. I'm not even that in love with him like that but he's a viable starter in this league.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #629
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I wanted Ottomatic for a long time. Would love that move very much, almost like a long tryout with a playoffs for the summer/fall FA season.
Porter sucks.....but I mean...who knows what he can do with a guy like Luka though. Seems to fit that "complimentary" role they seem to want guys to have here. A viable role player.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #630
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Porter sucks.....but I mean...who knows what he can do with a guy like Luka though. Seems to fit that "complimentary" role they seem to want guys to have here. A viable role player.
He's been injured lately

But I don't think he sucks.

He's still a solid wing defender never lived up to that contract extension he signed.

He would at least be on DFS level when he's healthy and that is enough for me since the Mavs need another tall wing player.

I'm crossing my fingers he gets bought out but then again he might just run to LA or Brooklyn
Old 03-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #631
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
He's been injured lately

He's still a solid wing defender never lived up to that contract extension he signed.

He would at least be on DFS level when he's healthy and that is enough for me since the Mavs need another tall wing player.

I'm crossing my fingers he gets bought out but then again he might just run to LA or Brooklyn
See...my viewpoint of Porter is that he's a guy that does nothing great. I think DFS is a better defender then him. Not a very good scorer but can shoot somewhat. Its just a very "blah" move and I understand that's all we have and trust I'd take him but to me he sort of becomes redundant when you already have guys like Richardson and DFS on the team.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #632
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Not sure if this is true but they are reporting Clippers looking into both Rondo and Drummond.

Does that make them and Denver top two out west?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #633
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Naw it wasn't a burn I was just commenting on what I'm witnessing. I get it. It sucks to read negativity about the Mavs especially when its the same ol' same ol'....but damn it feels like this organization is running the same ol' same ol'. I keep giving them the excuses that they didn't have the trade bait to get certain guys but I'm not sure if its just an excuse or actual truth. I think they really like how their team is constructed and basically want to trade a Datsun for a Range Rover.
Fair enough. But I would argue it's not necessarily that just want to trade a Datsun for a Range Rover. I think they simply have a Datsun, and need a Range Rover.

I'm not saying the Mavs have been perfect by any means. But I do think some posters on this forum have consistently either overestimated the Mavs assets, or they underestimate how hard it is to actually make trades. There's a reason only like 6 teams make noteworthy trades at the deadline each year, and the other 24 don't. They don't all love their guys so much. The fact is, for most teams, there simply isn't a rush or incentive. It just makes more sense to wait until the offseason.

I don't know exactly how much they really like their boys in blue vs. how much that is just PR talk. I think they like their team better than some of the posters here- because reading the GDT's, I'd swear this is actually a Rockets forum and the Mavs are the ones who just lost like 20 in a row. Most people don't seem to think or feel that the Mavs have actually been pretty damn good since early February and have quietly put together a very respectable season.

But I guarantee you they do not love their boys in blue so much that they don't want to make the team better. Reports came out last year that the Mavs considered everyone outside of Luka and KP expendable, and then this year it got out that they were gauging KP's value around the league- yes they denied it, but I don't buy their denials. I think they absolutely were quietly shopping KP.

So, that tells me that everyone outside of Luka is on the table as far as the MBT is concerned. So I don't share the impression that they haven't made a trade happen because they simply value their guys too much and have been unwilling to trade TJH or Brunson or someone.

Quote:
I agree. And for the record, I'd still do that trade for KP......I'm not entirely sure if they would've drafted a guy of his caliber with those draft picks anyway....but when teams are selling its tough to try and buy without recent 1st round picks available.
For the record, I agree. I would also still do the KP trade. KP is flawed and limited, but he's still probably better than anyone they would have drafted and DSJ has basically washed out of the league.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #634
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's been injured lately

56 games played in '19, 14 in '20, and 25 so far this year.

Not real encouraging. I wouldn't say no to adding him but I wouldn't rly be expecting much from him either. He also looked rly clunky and slow last time I saw him so idk if that was him coming off injury or if he just put on weight but that wouldn't bode well for defense.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #635
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I'd for sure say KP is as good or better than Simmons, Robert, CP3 and Paul George.......
The only one that's even close to debatable is George, and that's only because he's fallen off quite a bit. The dude has been a top 10 player for much of his career and was 3rd in MVP voting just a couple of seasons ago.

CP3 is still one of the best point guards in the league and has been responsible for an almost Nash-like turnaround in Phoenix.

Gobert may not be quite the defensive juggernaut he was in years past, but he's still elite and by the way, is either the best or the second best player on the team that has been the #1 seed throughout the season.

Simmons... Simmons is so much better than KP that I'm kind of shocked anyone would even argue otherwise. Simmons might be the best defensive player in the league, and is probably this year's DPOY.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #636
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fair enough. But I would argue it's not necessarily that just want to trade a Datsun for a Range Rover. I think they simply have a Datsun, and need a Range Rover.

I'm not saying the Mavs have been perfect by any means. But I do think some posters on this forum have consistently either overestimated the Mavs assets, or they underestimate how hard it is to actually make trades. There's a reason only like 6 teams make noteworthy trades at the deadline each year, and the other 24 don't. They don't all love their guys so much. The fact is, for most teams, there simply isn't a rush or incentive. It just makes more sense to wait until the offseason.

I don't know exactly how much they really like their boys in blue vs. how much that is just PR talk. I think they like their team better than some of the posters here- because reading the GDT's, I'd swear this is actually a Rockets forum and the Mavs are the ones who just lost like 20 in a row. Most people don't seem to think or feel that the Mavs have actually been pretty damn good since early February and have quietly put together a very respectable season.

But I guarantee you they do not love their boys in blue so much that they don't want to make the team better. Reports came out last year that the Mavs considered everyone outside of Luka and KP expendable, and then this year it got out that they were gauging KP's value around the league- yes they denied it, but I don't buy their denials. I think they absolutely were quietly shopping KP.

So, that tells me that everyone outside of Luka is on the table as far as the MBT is concerned. So I don't share the impression that they haven't made a trade happen because they simply value their guys too much and have been unwilling to trade TJH or Brunson or someone.

For the record, I agree. I would also still do the KP trade. KP is flawed and limited, but he's still probably better than anyone they would have drafted and DSJ has basically washed out of the league.
So you think they are just getting lowballed for their guys or teams just don't value their guys like we think?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #637
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
The only one that's even close to debatable is George, and that's only because he's fallen off quite a bit. The dude has been a top 10 player for much of his career and was 3rd in MVP voting just a couple of seasons ago.

CP3 is still one of the best point guards in the league and has been responsible for an almost Nash-like turnaround in Phoenix.

Gobert may not be quite the defensive juggernaut he was in years past, but he's still elite and by the way, is either the best or the second best player on the team that has been the #1 seed throughout the season.

Simmons... Simmons is so much better than KP that I'm kind of shocked anyone would even argue otherwise. Simmons might be the best defensive player in the league, and is probably this year's DPOY.
OH if we are comparing careers for sure I'd say PG and CP3 are better.
But in 2021? CP3 is a great point guard. He's also been on 3 different teams in the past few years for a reason. It wasn't like the Suns gave up the house to get him. And if I'm being honest.....Devin Booker was a better player before CP got there but they seem to be a better team. They were also trending up last year even with Rubio.

Simmons is a great defensive player. Won't take that from him. Solid passer. He's offensively challenged however. Which is why the Sixers right now are trying to trade for Kyle Lowry because they understand how offensively challenged a offense can be in the playoffs when your distributor can't shoot.

You can argue either way that KP is better or worse than those guys......I'm more so saying that once you get to about #16 in the league....everyone else is debatable from about #16 to about #25-30.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #638
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not sure if this is true but they are reporting Clippers looking into both Rondo and Drummond.

Does that make them and Denver top two out west?
I mean arguably it would but I don't know I do not like the pieces they are surrounding around these guys. Individually they are fine players but these are not guys who compliment each other to win a championship. Maybe Rondo help with that.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #639
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Reddick to Mavs
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #640
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Yikes....Raptors look like sellers....