Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #81
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
Next year’s draft is really weak, maybe only 4-5 guys with starting potential. If you’re going to give up a 1st round pick next year is the year to do it. The Mavs just need to do their best to win so that it’s as low a pick as possible.
Regardless how "weak" a draft class is considered I'd be willing to bet there are 3-4 all stars in each one. Meaning if you have good scouts and you let them do their job you should be able to find good players.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #82
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Regardless how "weak" a draft class is considered I'd be willing to bet there are 3-4 all stars in each one. Meaning if you have good scouts and you let them do their job you should be able to find good players.
Much easier said than done...

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm
Old 06-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #83
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
In the U.S. players are measured with shoes on?! I'm even taller than I realized then. I'd be like 6' 5" to 6' 6" depending on the shoes.

I believe at the Combine is the only time US players are measured with no shoes. Colleges and high schools always measure with shoes on to give their player an inch or two on their height.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #84
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post

Yeah I hate the whole "it's a weak class" mantra that's being used. Your job is to build your team and do it right now with cheap young players. Barrett and Teddish can come right in and help this organization. You have to find the right guys.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #85
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Yeah I hate the whole "it's a weak class" mantra that's being used. Your job is to build your team and do it right now with cheap young players. Barrett and Teddish can come right in and help this organization. You have to find the right guys.
Well it's a silly defense to the fact that we gave up a lot because the lottery screwed us over. We should have had the 3rd pick to begin with.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #86
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I’d wager we’re at least .400 next year. 5th and 10-12th for 3rd isn’t bad
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #87
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well it's a silly defense to the fact that we gave up a lot because the lottery screwed us over. We should have had the 3rd pick to begin with.
Know what I hate about the lottery? We don't get to see the process. It should be like the Texas Lottery. I feel like it's rigged. Otherwise, we'd see it.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #88
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah I'm a little pissed about that. We had to give up a extra first just to be where we should've been.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #89
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Most excited I've been for a mavs season in a long, long time.

Dirk is the perfect mentor for this kid, too.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #90
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Started seeing more footage of Doncic last couple days I hadn’t seen prior to the draft. And I seriously can’t believe we got him. I was flat out wrong ranking JJJ above Doncic (time will tell but I believe it).

Originally I favored JJJ and Bamba over him. They’ll still be good but we have something for the next decade with Luka.

Can’t wait for the season.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #91
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still worried about his lack of speed and athleticism, but I think he will respond well to some strength and conditioning.

I like this video where he admits he needs to work on that and his shot. However, if he parks like that in Texas, then that car will be getting key marks all over it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlU2It2d4Q

Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #92
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm still worried about his lack of speed and athleticism, but I think he will respond well to some strength and conditioning.

I like this video where he admits he needs to work on that and his shot. However, if he parks like that in Texas, then that car will be getting key marks all over it!

I think the athleticism is there but the speed is lacking. Working out, having rest, and slimming a wee bit will go a long way. I do think we’ve gotten a long time starter. It will be interesting to see how Barnes is played. He is so much more comfortable at the 3
Old 06-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #93
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I think the athleticism is there but the speed is lacking. Working out, having rest, and slimming a wee bit will go a long way. I do think we’ve gotten a long time starter. It will be interesting to see how Barnes is played. He is so much more comfortable at the 3
Yea, when Rick said Luka will be immediately starting with Dennis and Barnes it certainly sounded like Wes is coming off the bench. Barnes is unquestionably a 3. It's going to be interesting to see what we do with our 4 and 5 spots. I dont see how Dirk starts anymore, hes the least mobile in the league probably. I've said before that they need to delay his pre game warmups and bring him in around the 6 minute mark in the 1st and he and wes can come off the bench together going forward. As it stands I would go:
Dsj
Luka
Barnes
Powell
Motley/Salah.

I know we are addressing the center position but I want Powell to start at the 4 because of his hustle and pnr. He has tremendous hands and finishes lobs really well. If he keeps trending with his mid and perimeter shot he will solidify that position with how our team has evolved.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #94
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Lmao that parking job jumped out to me too. I was like woah there buddy... you can thread the needle on the court and are so much fun to watch... but you better go get ur ass back in that car and park it right.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #95
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yea, when Rick said Luka will be immediately starting with Dennis and Barnes it certainly sounded like Wes is coming off the bench. Barnes is unquestionably a 3. It's going to be interesting to see what we do with our 4 and 5 spots. I dont see how Dirk starts anymore, hes the least mobile in the league probably. I've said before that they need to delay his pre game warmups and bring him in around the 6 minute mark in the 1st and he and wes can come off the bench together going forward. As it stands I would go:
Dsj
Luka
Barnes
Powell
Motley/Salah.

I know we are addressing the center position but I want Powell to start at the 4 because of his hustle and pnr. He has tremendous hands and finishes lobs really well. If he keeps trending with his mid and perimeter shot he will solidify that position with how our team has evolved.
Yeah I don't see them not starting Wes. I see them having Barnes at the 4 and Wes at the 2 and Doncic at the 3.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #96
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I think Barnes and Doncic will have some time at the 4 but I'd be shocked if Barnes started at the 4 with all the comments from Rick and Barnes about how much more comfortable/better he is at the 3.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #97
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I think Barnes and Doncic will have some time at the 4 but I'd be shocked if Barnes started at the 4 with all the comments from Rick and Barnes about how much more comfortable/better he is at the 3.
Unless they plan on starting Doncic at he 2 and Wes at the 3.....I just don't see Wes coming off the bench.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #98
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unless they plan on starting Doncic at he 2 and Wes at the 3.....I just don't see Wes coming off the bench.
It seems the most logical to me. Rick said Luka will be stsrting between Barnes and Dsj in the presser.

I can easily see Wes and Dirk coming off the bench this season. The tide has turned.

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-24-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #99
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer to run out a lineup of:

DSJ - JJB - Brunson
Wes - ??? - Collinsworth
Doncic - McDermott - DFS
Barnes - Dirk - Kleber
???? - Powell - Salah

I think with a strong center (Capela or *sigh* DeAndre) that lineup gives us a lot of flexibility switching on the perimeter and spacing on offense... I know Barnes doesn't do as well as the four, but in today's NBA guys that are married to one position (especially one wing position) are inherently less valuable (basically Barnes needs to step up).
Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #100
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

NBA Draft 2018: With Luka Doncic, the Mavericks finally have more answers than questions
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platfo...mpression=true

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #101
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
It seems the most logical to me. Rick said Luka will be stsrting between Barnes and Dsj in the presser.

I can easily see Wes and Dirk coming off the bench this season. The tide has turned.
You just have too much invested in Wes money-wise to have him come off the bench. I also think for a 6th man you need a Jamal Crawford or a Lou Williams type or JET Terry. I need a guy who can get others involved as well as score at will. I don't think that's the best spot for Wes honestly. And
Old 06-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #102
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
You just have too much invested in Wes money-wise to have him come off the bench. I also think for a 6th man you need a Jamal Crawford or a Lou Williams type or JET Terry. I need a guy who can get others involved as well as score at will. I don't think that's the best spot for Wes honestly. And
I get your point but Wes isnt going to provide what Doncic will offensively. If hea not producing then he isnt logging heavy minutes. Hes maybe our 6th best player and that's even debatable. His performance hasn't been worthy of a starter or heavy minutes and with Doncic here his minutes are decreasing no matter how you slice it.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #103
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:

I don’t think Rick gives a crap about his contract. Rick is going to play the 5 guys that fit the best. If that means Wes has to come off the bench then so be it. He would never let the amount of money a guy makes dictate who he can and cannot start.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #104
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
NBA Draft 2018: With Luka Doncic, the Mavericks finally have more answers than questions
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platfo...mpression=true
Good read. I like the part that none of us talked about but is really obvious once it's pointed out in this article. Doncic allows Barnes to be Barnes and not force him into a playmaking role.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #105
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Good read. I like the part that none of us talked about but is really obvious once it's pointed out in this article. Doncic allows Barnes to be Barnes and not force him into a playmaking role.
And Matthews.

Dear god, watching Matthews create his own shot was painful. Hopefully Doncic, Brunson, and Smith’s development will mean no more posts and drives from Matthews

Barnes is surprisingly good at creating his own shot, but you want that as a second or third option once the primary playmaker has disrupted the defense and caused a switch. You don’t want Barnes creating in a setup offense play after play. Looking forward to seeing Barnes’ development on that feont

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-24-2018 at 06:55 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #106
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
And Matthews.

Dear god, watching Matthews create his own shot was painful. Hopefully Doncic, Brunson, and Smith’s development will mean no more posts and drives from Matthews

Barnes is surprisingly good at creating his own shot, but you want that as a second or third option once the primary playmaker has disrupted the offfense and caused a switch. You don’t want Barnes creating in a setup offense play after play. Looking forward to seeing Barnes’ development on that feont
Oh God yes. I think we all cringed when Matthews got the ball in an iso situation. I think he could improve the most with Doncic honestly. Maybe not a huge jump in points but the efficiency should be much better.

Edit-
Provided we don't trade him as an expiring contract.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 06-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #107
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I get your point but Wes isnt going to provide what Doncic will offensively. If hea not producing then he isnt logging heavy minutes. Hes maybe our 6th best player and that's even debatable. His performance hasn't been worthy of a starter or heavy minutes and with Doncic here his minutes are decreasing no matter how you slice it.

I don't think we know what Doncic is yet.....but Wes is our best 2 guard. I don't think Doncic will effect Wes minutes or vice versa.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #108
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
I don’t think Rick gives a crap about his contract. Rick is going to play the 5 guys that fit the best. If that means Wes has to come off the bench then so be it. He would never let the amount of money a guy makes dictate who he can and cannot start.

I disagree. Rick is not benching a guy getting 20 million a year. He couldn't stand Parsons and still played him.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #109
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where people are getting the idea that Wes will come off the bench -- you want instant offense as your 6th man, and he's not that. Plus, like it or not he's still our best defender, which means we need him in the starting lineup... I think it's a pretty sure bet that Barnes is moving back to the 4, at least as long as Wes is still on the roster (with Doncic in more of a point-forward role, similar to how Rick wanted to use Parsons):

DSJ
Wes
Luka
Barnes
[center]

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #110
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

And then going in 2019 after Wes replacement

Wes expiring
Barea expiring
Dirk expiring
Powell maybe opting out
Barnes maybe opting out to secure another long contract (starting below his old 25m contract)

We could even throw to Butler his 32.7m max offer after he realized that he is going nowhere with Wiggins and KAT

Pipedream
DSJ
Butler
Doncic
Barnes
Cousins

Last edited by sefant77; 06-24-2018 at 11:10 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:33 AM   #111
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
And then going in 2019 after Wes replacement

Wes expiring
Barea expiring
Dirk expiring
Powell maybe opting out
Barnes maybe opting out to secure another long contract (starting below his old 25m contract)

We could even throw to Butler his 32.7m max offer after he realized that he is going nowhere with Wiggins and KAT

Pipedream
DSJ
Butler
Doncic
Barnes
Cousins
IF he's going nowhere with KAT and Wiggins....where does he plan on going here in Dallas lol?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 AM   #112
trukop

trukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the rough
Cool

Hi guys,

You've got a new fan from Spain (Europe). I'm a Real Madrid fan and I'm really happy because Dallas signed Doncic. Best team for him, great city and wonderful fans.

I've seen Luka Doncic since he was playing for Real Madrid young academy when he was a little boy (12 years old). He is amazing, guys. I would like to talk about a few topics:

-In Europe we measure without shoes. He is 6'7. He is 2'01 tall (no shoes). But, he is 19 years old (02/26/1999) and last two years he grew up 1 inch. It's possible that he will grow up a little more.
-In Europe he is an all-around combo player. He can play 1-4 posititions. His best poition is: SG on defense. PG on attack.
-Signature movement. Step back. This movement is an ankle killer. It's very similar than James Harden one.
-Strenths. IQ, rebounds, personality, all-around, pick&roll, easy to get stadistics, passing and face the ring. He has one of the highest IQ that I've ever seen in my life. He sees the basket very easy. He is a huge rebounder man (in Europe one of the best).
-Weaknesses. Defense on small and speed PGs. He is very big and he can't defense guys like Isiaa Thomas for example. However, Dallas is perfect for him in order to hide this weakness. He must to improve his large shoot. He is a very good shooting man, however, he only has 31% three point successful. Is very low but, I have to write that he is a very good shooter on stop feet position. His stadistics go down due to the fact that he uses so much the step back and crazy shoots. In Spain, we call it "mandarina" (tangerine) LOL.
-Issues to improve. Shoot percentage and athletic. I'm sure that Mavericks will give him the best personal trainer and in a short time he we'll have muscles over the muscles
-Player to compare. I've read on USA forums about Luka Doncic seems Lebron James. I don't agree. In my opinion he seems Larry Bird.

Finally, I give you a couple pretty videos.

Is Luka Doncic the new Larry Bird?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RupuylGUy0&t=1s

Luka Donc's highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-t9j71jbp0

Remenber guys. Euroleague + Spanish ACB are >>>>>>>>> than NCAA. And Luka Doncis is Euroleague MVP regular season and MVP F4. And MVP ACB regular season. He won 2017 Europen cup (against Pau Gasol, Porziņģis, Gobert and so on). He won Euroleague and Spainsh ACB on 2018. Third guy to reach a triple-double on ACB history. 2º highest history PIR on Euroleague regular season It's crazy!!!!!
trukop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:35 AM   #113
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome trukop!
Great first post and thank you for the info.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #114
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukop View Post
-Player to compare. I've read on USA forums about Luka Doncic seems Lebron James. I don't agree. In my opinion he seems Larry Bird.
LOL, I can live with that...

Welcome to the board!

Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #115
trukop

trukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Welcome trukop!
Great first post and thank you for the info.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
LOL, I can live with that...

Welcome to the board!
The comparasion is due to "the bird" was an amazing all-around player with the biggest IQ and a huge personality. Doncic is the same case. However...ths shoot range and % is not the same, obviusly. But I'm sure that Doncic will improve his 3% percentage to around 40% in the next seasons.

Last edited by trukop; 06-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #116
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukop View Post
The comparasion is due to "the bird" was an amazing all-around player with the biggest IQ and a huge personality. Doncic is the same case. However...ths shoot range and % is not the same, obviusly. But I'm sure that Doncic will improve his 3% percentage to around 40% in the next seasons.
Yeah, hopefully Luka can put in some time with Dirk's shooting coach, Holger Geschwindner.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #117
trukop

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully Luka can put in some time with Dirk's shooting coach, Holger Geschwindner.
If Shaquile O'Neal could improve his free shoot a little bit with Palubinskas. I'm sure that Holger will improve Doncic's longe range as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqfVN0oQBMw

I'm imagining the current Doncic's step back with a better shoot...oh my god...I'm gonna grab my "Dirk" and double click...

Last edited by trukop; 06-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #118
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Pfft, who wants Larry Bird on their team?

Yeah, the euro James Harden is a comparison we've heard a lot. What is somewhat encouraging about that comparison is the fact that Harden is also not very athletic and a bad defender. Gosh, I hope Doncic can defender better than him though.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #119
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I wonder if he'll put Luka through those rigorous workouts to help with his conditioning. Have you seen those Dirk squat lunges that he did across the court when he was younger? Must be murder on the knees, but it'll probably add an inch or two to Luka's vertical.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #120
trukop

Quote:
Pfft, who wants Larry Bird on their team?

Yeah, the euro James Harden is a comparison we've heard a lot. What is somewhat encouraging about that comparison is the fact that Harden is also not very athletic and a bad defender. Gosh, I hope Doncic can defender better than him though.
Doncic is not a bad defender. He has problems with small and fast PG or heavy PF or centers after pick&roll. But he is very a good defender for the weak side and average global defender. In USA there is a thougth about Doncic and his defence, But his problem is with small people because in Europe he always plays as a PG on atack and on defence. So, last two seasons he has cried when he defended speed people. But it wil not a problem on Dallas. Dallas has got people as dennis Smith or Barea to take PGs.