Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 01:47 AM   #1
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
He doesn't make us better than Hortford, Walker, Butler........now none of these guys are probably even a option to begin with but I'm not going to use my cap space just because Brogdon is the best of the bunch. I'd look into some type of trades. Brogdon isn't the scorer Walker is and if its about defense I can look at Danny Green for a 1/4th of the cost.
Yes he does with the possible exception of butler. 1) he is an absolutely elite defender. He should have made the all NBA defensive team and he has a lot of position flex defensively. He can guard 1-3 and can switch on 4s credibly but can't guard them over a whole game. He's a better defender than all of them, including butler. 2) he's by far the best shooter available since klay is hurt. He's a career 41% 3pt shooter and a career 90% ft shooter. 3) he's used to playing off the ball. Outside of horford this is one of his biggest strengths. The third star in a big 3, is always going to be marginalized touches wise. Luka and kp are both so high usage it's going to be an adjustment playing with each other let alone a third ball dominant player ala kemba or butler. Brogdons ability to be productive without touching the ball every possession is a plus. 4) he can't be attacked in games at the highest level on either end. This is mostly true of jimmy too though he isn't a great shooter. But kemba? Can attack his d, vuc same thing.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Yes he does with the possible exception of butler. 1) he is an absolutely elite defender. He should have made the all NBA defensive team and he has a lot of position flex defensively. He can guard 1-3 and can switch on 4s credibly but can't guard them over a whole game. He's a better defender than all of them, including butler. 2) he's by far the best shooter available since klay is hurt. He's a career 41% 3pt shooter and a career 90% ft shooter. 3) he's used to playing off the ball. Outside of horford this is one of his biggest strengths. The third star in a big 3, is always going to be marginalized touches wise. Luka and kp are both so high usage it's going to be an adjustment playing with each other let alone a third ball dominant player ala kemba or butler. Brogdons ability to be productive without touching the ball every possession is a plus. 4) he can't be attacked in games at the highest level on either end. This is mostly true of jimmy too though he isn't a great shooter. But kemba? Can attack his d, vuc same thing.
Elite defender is extreme.
He holds on his own on defense. I'm not going to say he's All NBA defender territory.

I'm not arguing that Brogdon can't help this team. Just not for the price. If I'm spending that type of money I want a game changer on offense. I want a elite scorer. I also want someone who can run the offense when Doncic needs a breather. Brogdon is a solid shooter and solid defender. Probably even a better shooter and for sure a better defender than Kemba. But he's not the scorer Kemba is and never will be.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Elite defender is extreme.
He holds on his own on defense. I'm not going to say he's All NBA defender territory.

I'm not arguing that Brogdon can't help this team. Just not for the price. If I'm spending that type of money I want a game changer on offense. I want a elite scorer. I also want someone who can run the offense when Doncic needs a breather. Brogdon is a solid shooter and solid defender. Probably even a better shooter and for sure a better defender than Kemba. But he's not the scorer Kemba is and never will be.
You have 2 elite scorers and if you don’t want to count Luka then one elite proven scorer in KP and one very very good scorer on Luka. No other team has 3 elite scorers other than GS the last few years.

We need someone to play good D, score 15-20 points and as you said run the offense when Luka is out. Brogdon easily meets all that and don’t forget that we also have Brunson who proved last year as a rookie that he is very good at that and should only get better.

We have game changers in Luka and KP...we need a solid 3rd guy and again Brogdon can be that although maybe at a higher price then we would like but that’s how it works out sometimes.

Last edited by AO41; 06-29-2019 at 04:30 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win now