Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lakers And Wizards Agree To Kwame Trade

Lakers And Wizards Agree To Kwame Trade

14th July, 2005 - 3:28 am

LA Times - The Lakers have taken another bold step to remake their roster, agreeing in principle on a trade that would bring forward-center Kwame Brown from the Washington Wizards and would send Caron Butler and likely Chucky Atkins to Washington.

Brown, 6 feet 11, was drafted No. 1 overall in 2001 and fell on hard times last season with the Wizards, but he has the potential to be an impact post player.

Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Wizard President Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment Wednesday, but sources said the components of the deal were in place involving Brown and Butler. The Wizards could choose small forward Devean George instead of Atkins to complete the deal.

NBA teams cannot announce free-agent signings or sign-and-trade transactions until a league moratorium is lifted July 22.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Lakers And Wizards Agree To Kwame Trade

Good trade for the Lakers. Although it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if Kwame averaged 18/9 next season, they are putting a lot of hope on he and Bynum.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Lakers And Wizards Agree To Kwame Trade

Wonder where this leaves Odom.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a lot to give up for an un-proven F/C. Butler AND Atkins provided a lot for them last year. Hopefully its George, otherwise they have a huge hole at point guard.

Good trade for the Wizards though. It was a good thing after losing Hughes for nothing. If they get the athletic George, then they could start as the 2-3 with Jamison at the PF. If Atkins, then a solid back-up to Arenas. Overall a solid move.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Pretty fair trade. I have to say I think its better for the Lakers. Bynum, Odom, Brown is a pretty athletic and big frontline. They just need to pick up a good PG and they'll be in business again, assuming they don't have serious chemistry issues.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

The reward for the Lakers could be HUGE...Jermaine O'Neal anyone?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't the GM (Kobe) and Butler have problems with each other last year?

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Jemaine O'neal? A ridiculous comparison. Kwame had every chance to be an elite power forward on the wizards. O'neal had to battle for minutes behind Sabonis, Rasheed Wallace, Dale Davis.

This is all blinded optimism. The fact is, the Lakers gave up more actual production on the court for an un-proven player. I'm sorry but I don't see what there is to get that excited about. Maybe 3 years down the road the lakers can be good with that front court. Maybe.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

if bynum is part of that frontline rotation, then they are in trouble lol..

kwame is 22, 23 years old?

jermaine's first breakout year (double digit scoring average) came when he was 22, 23 years old..
first year in indiana, he averaged 12 points

i dont think that is farfetched for kwame, to be techincal about it, he may be ahead of jermaine =\

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
they'll be in business again, assuming they don't have serious chemistry issues.
chemistry issues? no way, they have Kobe... he's good at everything (especially making friends)

seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Kobe and Kwame, can't think of a couple more deserving of each other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirt_dobber
Didn't the GM (Kobe) and Butler have problems with each other last year?

Yes. I'm in Los Angeles right now and that is all the talk shows are talking about. They are not being kind to GM Showbe the drama puss....nor should they be. Butler was obviously very well liked here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

The fact is...the Lakers were never going to win a championship with Butler and Atkins...they're not even a playoff team. However, if Kwame can, under the instruction of PJAX, find his game...they have the potential to be very good.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

kobe/odom/brown looks pretty good to me, you have athelticsm and size for your top 3 guys, they need a spot up shooter and they can probably finish around 6th in the west..

what about fin. ouch

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I just see this as a very lop-sided trade for the Wiz. Kwame could not only start for the Wiz but hell he couldn't even back up for them either. Was this guy not about to be let go by the Wiz? You could've probably went after him in free agency and kept Atkins and Butler or traded them for something better. Seems like the Lakers are really trading for potential that I just don't see.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
kobe/odom/brown looks pretty good to me, you have athelticsm and size for your top 3 guys, they need a spot up shooter and they can probably finish around 6th in the west..

what about fin. ouch
"kobe/odom/brown " sounds like a future episode of American Justice.