Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default Scary teams - East and West

Golden State Warriors -- Lottery heaven...Just about every guy on their roster is a first round pick and most of them are lottery picks. They go two deep at EVERY position. Unless they pull off a trade to send multiple players in exchange for one player, playing time/bitching/moaning can be an issue. On the other hand, if they gel.....

Lineup:

pg - davis/fisher/ellis
sg - richardson/pietrus/cheaney
sf - dunleavy/pietrus/cabarkapa
pf - murphy/diogu/biedrins
c - foyle/taft/biedrins

geez...

Cleveland Cavaliers -- I think they're going to make an incredible run next year, very deep into the playoffs. The marko jaric, wilcox trade sealed the deal for me. They shipped out two super spares(pavlovic and gooden) to get a bruising big man and a 6'7 point guard, that plays defense.

Lineup:

pg - jaric/snow(if he's there) or jasikevicius(doubting the cavs pick him up, since Utah pulled off the ostertag trade to get him)
sg - hughes/jackson/newble
sf - lebron/newble/jackson
pf - marshall/varejao
c - ilgauskas/wilcox/traylor/andriuskevicius

obviously jaric has to stay healthy, which he's had a hard time doing
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Scary teams - East and West

There’s not a team in the league that I enjoyed watching more than Golden State in the last two months of the season. Things were not looking good for Chris Mullen last summer after he hired a college coach and committed $88MM to Derrick Fisher and Anonal Foyle but that trade turned things around. Now all of those young players have somebody to get them the ball. Barron Davis is as good of a fast break PG as there is in the league and while he’s not as unselfish in the half court as Kidd or Nash, he’s a better option than Jason Richardson who was dominating the ball in the 4th quarter before the trade.

Like rakesh said, they go two deep at every position and they have the young trading chips to bring in a big time player if they want to go that direction in the future.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Cavaliers are improved. Im not afraid of Golden State at all. They will win 42 or 45 games, they'll be on the cusp of the playoffs, but ultimately will fall pretty easily
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Last year before the season, there were lots of teams that looked scary - and that werent. The same will happen this year.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The marko jaric, wilcox trade sealed the deal for me. They shipped out two super spares(pavlovic and gooden) to get a bruising big man and a 6'7 point guard, that plays defense.
I like Cleveland too but Wilcox is a bruising big man who has spared everybody to death for three years. For a player so big and so bruising he’s not that great of a rebounder and doesn’t block many shots.

Jaric has potential but he’s pretty undependable (58 games per year) and despite being 6’7 he’s an average rebounding PG and hasn’t been much of an offensive threat.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Scary teams:
WEST: SA, Houston (still a PG away -- hope NVE and Watson don't sign there), Phoenix (they'll outscore if you don't run with them)
EAST: Detroit, Miami, Indy, Cleveland

Seattle, Minn, Denver, New Jersey, Chicago should make some noise. Golden State is still Golden State.

I can't say as anyone else is really all that scary...at least not off the top of my head.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Default RE:Scary teams - East and West

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Last year before the season, there were lots of teams that looked scary - and that werent. The same will happen this year.
True but we're not out of the woods yet...a couple of those teams that looked scary last year but weren't should be better this year...Denver and Houston come to mind.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
True but we're not out of the woods yet...a couple of those teams that looked scary last year but weren't should be better this year...Denver and Houston come to mind.
And then there's always those teams-- Sonics and Suns last year-- that don't scare anybody but turn out to be great.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
MrCheerios

MrCheerios is on a distinguished road

Spurs are still the best team in the nba. They've still got their core, they're young, athletic, and versatile. It'll take a couple of good roster moves and some luck for any team to beat them. I don't see any reason why they can't repeat, barring injury.
MrCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hate to bring this up, guys...but WE were once where Golden State is. I definitely think they'll make some noise next year. After they got Baron their season turned around. Imagine if they have him a whole season.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:53 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Hate to bring this up, guys...but WE were once where Golden State is. I definitely think they'll make some noise next year. After they got Baron their season turned around. Imagine if they have him a whole season.

And it seemed like a key player was hurt just about every game. They should definately be feared by teams around the league. Jason Richardson is due a breakout season.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #12
MavsMandy

MavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really nice

i definitely agree on the warriors. i live in the bay area, so i watched a whole lot of their games last year. once they got b-diddy they were definitely rolling. even before that, they played like a better team than their record. honestly, there were so many games that they were in even in the last minute, but they always found a way to lose. really in absurd ways sometimes. my personal favorite was their two point fourth quarter effort. but basically they didn't really try on defense (even though they have the talent to be a pretty decent defensive team) and their offense always broke down at the end of games because it was usually a j-rich isolation, which fails because 1) other teams know it's coming and 2) j-rich just isn't clutch. they must have been the worst fourth quarter team in the league, no joke.

but then they got davis, and they won something like eight or nine in a row at the end of the season, and they were beating good teams, too. they beat phoenix and seattle in that stretch, and then they lost an amazingly exciting game to the spurs in two overtimes. the fourth and the overtimes were the baron davis show, and he ended up with like 40 points and a couple of buzzer beaters, if i recall correctly. too much reminiscing. anyways, the point is that davis made them a much better fourth quarter team, which was one of their biggest problems the whole year. so, yes, i agree that golden state is going to be good next year...not championship material, but i think they'll finally make it out of the lottery.

as far as cleveland...they're putting together a nice supporting cast for lebron, but we all know that how good they are all depends on lebron. i'm expecting great things from him...the third year is supposedly the breakout year for players straight out of high school (like amare this year). since last year was his "sophomore slump" and he averaged 27/7/7, i'm hoping for 30/10/10 from king james.
MavsMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

30/10/10 would prob be the best season by any player in the history of the league, especially in today's game.

with more scorers on his team, he shouldnt have to average 30
somewhere around 24/9/9 or 24/8/8 would be an mvp season since they are probably going to win right around 50 games..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:01 AM   #14
MavsMandy

MavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really nice

yeah, 30/10/10 is a little unrealistic, but the man is 20 years old and already an mvp candidate. i don't think it's too too much of a stretch to say he could average something like that at some point in his career. but for next season, yeah, it's a little out there. but i said it because it sounds so round and nice and because i want to have lebron's babies. seriously.

and in the last month of the season he averaged 32/10/7. that's absurd.
MavsMandy is offline   Reply With Quote