Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #201
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I know Dirk's ankle is bad, but being the devils advocate I'd have to point out how out of sync we were going into the playoffs last year because of resting down the stretch.

Maybe <20 minutes might be good for him during the last couple games.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #202
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I know Dirk's ankle is bad, but being the devils advocate I'd have to point out how out of sync we were going into the playoffs last year because of resting down the stretch.

Maybe <20 minutes might be good for him during the last couple games.
agreed. Sometimes you just have to work the ankle out in order to strengthen it. And you just can't go through life saying "what if" this happens?.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #203
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i dunno....i thought dirk's slidin' (and hence the team's slide) started in march, and the restin' was in part of the response to the slidin', not the other way around.

dirk's rebounding in the latter part of the year always stands out to me -- take a look at the gamelogs...link

the guy almost never went back to back games under 10 rebounds, but then in the last month of the season he only hit double digits in boards once. in his first 64 games of the season, dirk had 5 or fewer rebounds in 8 games. In the last 14 games he had 10 games with 5 or fewer boards....and it wasn't like he was playing dramatically fewer minutes, either.

i maintain that dirk hit a wall, or something, in the last month of the season, and this carried through to the playoffs. the restin' might not have fixed it, but it didn't cause it either.

Last edited by alexamenos; 04-09-2008 at 01:19 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #204
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that makes sense.. and that was the year after the finals run.. plus he played with the national team as well between the seasons right? Not much rest for the big guy.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #205
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
i dunno....i thought dirk's slidin' (and hence the team's slide) started in march, and the restin' was in part of the response to the slidin', not the other way around.

dirk's rebounding in the latter part of the year always stands out to me -- take a look at the gamelogs...link

the guy almost never went back to back games under 10 rebounds, but then in the last month of the season he only hit double digits in boards once. in his first 64 games of the season, dirk had 5 or fewer rebounds in 8 games. In the last 14 games he had 10 games with 5 or fewer boards....and it wasn't like he was playing dramatically fewer minutes, either.

i maintain that dirk hit a wall, or something, in the last month of the season, and this carried through to the playoffs. the restin' might not have fixed it, but it didn't cause it either.
Mavs moneyball has something on this.
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/story/2008/4/8/2121/85405
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #206
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

^^thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #207
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So WHAT'S UP LADIES!

Funny stuff..

Quote:
Post-Game: Cuban Backs Avery as Mavs Roll
Date Posted: 4/8/2008 11:32:00 PM By: Bill Ingram
The Mavs got off to a sluggish start, but ultimately managed to blow out the Sonics in a game they had to have as they continue their quest for a playoff berth. With the 99-83 win the Mavs move within two games of clinching a playoff berth, and await the Utah Jazz on Thursday.

Dallas used an 18-4 run in the fourth to put things away. Jason Terry said Avery's half time "pep talk" got his team focused and prepared for the task at hand.

Avery talked about the way he's been working to change his offensive sets since the acquisition of Kidd, which he said sparked a run of "Kidd watching" as the team got used to having a future Hall-of-Famer on their squad. Now he's got them doing a lot more cutting and moving away from the ball to help create easy shots off of Kidd's passes.

Jason Kidd decided he needed to tidy up his locker area before talking to the gathered media, so he picked up box scores and random uniform articles, saying he felt he should "clean up a little bit." He then dropped everything he had picked up on Antoine Wright's chair . . .the next locker over . . .with a big grin on his face.

Dirk usually walks into the locker room calling "What's up ladies!" - though there are actually few "ladies" in the press corps. Tonight was not different, except he called out "What's up ladies - hey HoopsHype." Brandon Bass immediately corrected him saying, "That's HOOPSWORLD, fool." Dirk shrugged at him and said, "I know - I'm just giving them (crap)."

When he got down to business, as he does when the cameras come on, Dirk admitted he's really not quite up to speed since the injury. Avery said he'd like to limit Dirk to 24 minutes per game through the rest of the season, but Dirk said he's not likely to settle for that. Should be interesting to see who wins that battle.

On the Seattle side, PJ said he felt his team played hard, but not smart. He liked what they did with their zone defense, but thought his team lost Jason Terry (22 points) too much - especially in transition. He also was very complimentary of Brandon Bass (13 points) off the bench.

These two teams will meet again in Seattle next week . . .and Jet said he has about 80 tickets set aside for friends and family in what will likely be his last trip to Seattle to play a basketball game. He was very upset about the team leaving his home town, where he grew up watching Gary Payton and the Sonics in their hay day.

Be sure to catch HOOPSWORLD TV for more from tonight's game!
And you should, there are postgame videos with kidd, dirkster, jason, josh and ko'ach..

It's kind of weird, maybe I'm missing these being at the game or something. But I see lot's of local media with microphones but I don't hear these post games very often. Are they right after the game or something?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-10-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #208
fluid.forty.one

I just watched my favorite dirk video and it just made me so mad how much crap dirk gets from the media. He is so freaking awesome.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #209
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

what a cold-blooded, BAMF game-winner tonight by DIRK.

the fight in this guy is freaking unbelievable. NEVER QUESTION IT.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #210
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #211
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

huh this dirk nowitzki guy is pretty good

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #212
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong thread.

Last edited by bernardos70; 04-11-2008 at 02:02 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #213
dude1394
Guru

I will call him mini-me.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #214
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I will call him mini-me.

I noticed that on the tv last night...they had a shot of Dirk doing it, and then they cut to Avery and I giggled. (I believe that was after the bs no continuation call)

Norm just said that Dirk absolutely "drowned" that 3 pointer.... Norm...he drained it. He didn't drown it.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-11-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #215
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I noticed that on the tv last night...they had a shot of Dirk doing it, and then they cut to Avery and I giggled. (I believe that was after the bs no continuation call)

Norm just said that Dirk absolutely "drowned" that 3 pointer.... Norm...he drained it. He didn't drown it.
Dirk murdered that 3 pointer.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #216
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk seriously took advantage of that three last night...call CPS.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #217
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just watched my favorite dirk video and it just made me so mad how much crap dirk gets from the media. He is so freaking awesome.
is the video the one with never too late by three days grace?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #218
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible thread. Dirk is not randomly great, Dirk is ALWAYS great.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #219
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Dirks rebounds last march were down because he played through a sprained ankle and took it easy on the contact/jumping (much like yesterday vs utah) so that stat isn't all its cracked up to be. Especially since the mavs were so far ahead that it didnt really matter. I think dirk should have fully cured his ankle last season instead of playing through it. but hindsight is always 20/20.
edit: cant find which game he sprained it in - i found my old post from last year mentioning it though.
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpo...41&postcount=3

Last edited by Lor20; 04-11-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #220
fluid.forty.one

Jim, Around the Horn, PTI

I can't wait to heat their reaction to Dirk's shot. That wasn't even the only clutch shot of the game though for him... he hit a jumper with like 36 seconds too.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #221
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
is the video the one with never too late by three days grace?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEAG...eature=related

honorable mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9oONJ862SA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3...eature=related - not really a dirk video, but almost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v4_r...eature=related - ending sucks obviously
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vy0kI4SMvo - no pump-you-up music here, but still satisfying to watch from start to finish

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-11-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #222
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Good call...That is definitely my favorite as well.
jleefilled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #223
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Jim, Around the Horn, PTI

I can't wait to heat their reaction to Dirk's shot. That wasn't even the only clutch shot of the game though for him... he hit a jumper with like 36 seconds too.
it was with 29 seconds left, from around the left elbow, and it put the mavs up by 3.

I stood up out of my chair and cheered as soon as it became apparent that this shot was going to open up....there was never a doubt that dirk was gonna knock it down.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #224
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

And I looked, and behold a blue horse: and his name that sat on him was Dirk, and the Mavs followed with him.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #225
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
it was with 29 seconds left, from around the left elbow, and it put the mavs up by 3.

I stood up out of my chair and cheered as soon as it became apparent that this shot was going to open up....there was never a doubt that dirk was gonna knock it down.
ahh, I knew it was some time around then.

good to see dirk hitting 2 clutch shots in a game right before the playoffs. I also had NO doubt that that 3 was goin in at the end.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #226
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Dirk heard that ko'ach was going to go smallball and he just got depressed.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #227
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Last night after Dirk hit the three, my wife said "what is with the pulling the jersey out from his body like that?" It does seem shallow to think that Dirk is just doing that to show his number 41 or to say he is the man. So, I didn't know how to respond other than it's just an uncontrollable man thing.

What I didn't say was, Dirk is just so humble and reserved that when he does something spectacular FOR HIS TEAM, that is how he releases the pressure built inside him. I saw one of the videos above and he was doing it probably since his rookie year.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #228
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
Last night after Dirk hit the three, my wife said "what is with the pulling the jersey out from his body like that?" It does seem shallow to think that Dirk is just doing that to show his number 41 or to say he is the man. So, I didn't know how to respond other than it's just an uncontrollable man thing.

What I didn't say was, Dirk is just so humble and reserved that when he does something spectacular FOR HIS TEAM, that is how he releases the pressure built inside him. I saw one of the videos above and he was doing it probably since his rookie year.
Did you notice the "jersey tug" right after Deron's shot?

First of all, the first thing Dirk always does at halftime and after the game is untuck his jersey. I guess he just finds that more comfortable. Second, pulling the jersey up from the bottom sometimes covers up both the team name and the number, which is why it's so funny.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-12-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #229
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

He's such an awkward goober.

He's supposed to pull it from the top, (a la Kobe).... Dirk you are a nerd.

And that's what makes you great.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #230
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Old 04-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #231
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

^Yeah, see?

Quote:
He's such an awkward goober.

He's supposed to pull it from the top, (a la Kobe).... Dirk you are a nerd.

And that's what makes you great.
What's funny is that Marc Stein picked on him for doing that during the Suns game, and he still did it against Utah. It's good to know that he puts all external thoughts aside while he's playing. And celebrating.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-12-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #232
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I will call him mini-me.

That is what you do with your arms when you feel like punching the ref.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #233
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk

He's not doing it to show off his name or number or anything, it's just a way of celebrating, sort of like a fist pump or something. Just a way of releasing emotion, not cocky or anything at all.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #234
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
^Yeah, see?

What's funny is that Marc Stein picked on him for doing that during the Suns game, and he still did it against Utah. It's good to know that he puts all external thoughts aside while he's playing. And celebrating.
Unless Stein went up to him and tapped him on the shoulder and said that, I doubt that would ever get to Dirks ears.

These guys don't have time to sit around and read the internet all day, do they?

Shoot...if I were an athlete, I wuold make it a point not to read or listen to a damn thing that anyone in the media had to say. It's all worthless.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #235
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

i think its his way of showing he's proud to be a mav and that was one for the team (atleast thats what it kind of means here (in germany) when soccer players do that sort of thing to their shirts after scoring).
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #236
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Unless Stein went up to him and tapped him on the shoulder and said that, I doubt that would ever get to Dirks ears.

These guys don't have time to sit around and read the internet all day, do they?

Shoot...if I were an athlete, I wuold make it a point not to read or listen to a damn thing that anyone in the media had to say. It's all worthless.
It was an interview... at least I think it was Stein, maybe it was someone else.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:50 AM   #237
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
PHOENIX -- Dirk Nowitzki stumbled about 18 times by his own count as he drove left, gathered himself with one crucial step to rattle in a fallaway baseline dagger out of nobody's textbook, then showed us his truly unorthodox move.

Nowitzki didn't pop his jersey in celebration. He tugged it from the bottom.

Instead of grabbing it at the top to puff out the DALLAS on his chest, like Kobe Bryant and everyone else does, Nowitzki commemorated the biggest basket of the Mavericks' season by pulling tightly on his shirttail, trying for the same effect.

"I was too hyped up," Nowitzki said later with a laugh, "to even know what I was doing."
It's not as clear as I thought. Since we don't see the literal question being asked, we can only guess Stein (or someone else) brought up the particular subject of the jersey pull to him.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #238
dude1394
Guru

I think I read somewhere that it was similar to a soccer player, I don't watch soccer so I don't know.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #239
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Random Dirk is great post
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #240
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
He's not doing it to show off his name or number or anything, it's just a way of celebrating, sort of like a fist pump or something. Just a way of releasing emotion, not cocky or anything at all.
I believe that is what I said.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer