Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-17-2002, 12:55 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the story

Wallace Matthews
New York Post
February 17, 2002 --

I NEVER thought I would write the words that appear in the next sentence.
I am beginning to feel sorry for Mike Tyson.

I am beginning to believe that Tyson may be on to something, that the world may be out to get him, and that he is now being exploited as crassly by hack politicians as he was by the Cus D'Amatos, the Don Kings and the Sheldon Finkels of the world.

Unlike the Jordan Rules, which give preferential treatment to the man for whom they are named, the Tyson Rules guarantee that he will be treated worse than anyone else committing the same offenses.

Holy double standard, Batman! Just what has this man done to deserve being blackballed by every state in the union?

He served his time for the rape in Indiana and the assault in Maryland and the ear bite in Las Vegas.

And while we keep hearing that Nevada will indict Tyson "any day now" for not one, but two sexual assaults, so far that is just rumor, gossip and hearsay.

So he got into a brawl with Lennox Lewis at a press conference. There is no way anyone can pin sole blame for that on Tyson.

He had plenty of help, from the inept organizing to the non-existent security to the foolishness of Lewis' bodyguard to the cheap-shotting by Lewis himself.

You can't bar Tyson for that while allowing everyone else to go unpunished.

Right now, Mike Tyson stands guilty only of being selfish, rude, vulgar and woefully in need of maturing and self-control. Meaning, he's no different from most of the professional athletes I deal with, and these same politicians routinely welcome into their states with open arms and wallets.

Last week, the great states of Colorado and Texas decided Mike Tyson was not fit to inhabit their environs.

But I have yet to hear the governor of Colorado, one Bill Owens, declare that the Baltimore Ravens should be barred from coming in to play the Broncos because their roster includes Ray Lewis, who was accused of murder and, rather than go to trial to clear his name, copped a plea to clear his paycheck.

I don't recall any of the governors of Texas - not even future President Dubya - declare the Dallas Cowboys to be a bad influence on their women and children, in spite of the insidious presence of one Michael Irvin in their locker room.

The governor of Georgia, Roy Barnes, doesn't want Tyson around either, and yet he never tried to bar Darryl Strawberry from playing in the World Series a few years ago, despite his history of drug abuse and wife-beating.

And our own Madison Square Garden, which now deems Mike Tyson unworthy of gracing its boxing ring, had no problem rewarding coach-strangler Latrell Sprewell with a $64 million contract a few years ago.

So why is Tyson different?

Is it because he has no high-powered players union to fight his battles for him, only the nauseating Finkel? Or is it something else?

Is it the inherent racism and elitism that always comes to the fore when politicians and businessman deal with the fight game?

Face it, politicians and businessmen and celebrities love to get their faces on camera from their ringside seats when big fights come to their town.

But it is just as easy for them to wipe their Bruno Maglis on fighters when they no longer need them because no one will come to bat for them.

If Mike Tyson were an athlete in any other sport, or an entertainer in any other field, the public would be up in arms over what appears to be a nationwide campaign to bar him from practicing his chosen profession.

Believe me, it pains me to write this because helping Tyson means helping Finkel take a chunk of Tyson's money. And it means helping Viacom and its bag man, Jay Larkin, take another chunk. And it means helping AOL/Time Warner, which doesn't need anyone's help.

But right is right, and what is happening to Mike Tyson ain't right.

What has Mike Tyson done to deserve this kind of treatment?

Apparently, just being Mike Tyson was enough.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no matter what they do to tyson, it won't be any more than he deserves...he's not even a human being any more... he's pure hatred and stupidity
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:34 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Heck no he is not getting a bad rap. The guy should be in (and likely will be in) PRISON! He is pure stupidity and hatred and a bigot and a racist. It really cheeses me off when a guy like John Rocker gets crucified for making a stupid statement (which he deserved for a while anyway) and then a guy of color pops off like Tyson ripping on gays and whites and nothing is said about it. He can kiss my backside. Tyson is currently a suspect in three rapes. I hope they nail him. He is pathetic.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:08 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

doc..i can see we finally agree on something...
Old 02-19-2002, 12:14 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

I just joined tonight....have we been in disagreement?

Doc
Old 02-19-2002, 12:23 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

yep..sure have..
and be prepared..i'll make a point to disagree with youon a regular basis
Old 02-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Bring it on! As long as you post intelligently, you will have my full attention!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Doc
Old 02-19-2002, 12:33 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

no problem with that doc.
I'll bring in enough stats and opinions to make your head spin