Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-31-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

This is my list:

1. Two Towers
2. Harry Potter 2
3. Road to Perdition
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Goldmember
6. Lilo & Stitch
7. Ice Age
8. Signs
9. Minority Report
10. Reign of Fire

I only included the movies I saw. There was a lot of internal debate, but Spiderman doesn't make the list. The more I think about it, I just can't see what the big deal was. Reign of Fire wasn't on the list, but I realized I had included Monsters, Inc., which came out in 2001. Black Hawk Down would be on there, I am sure, but I never got to see it. Goldmember probably makes it from the first 5 minutes alone.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2002, 11:00 AM   #2
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

good post and I agree with most, but my question is what's so great about Reign of Fire? I love SiFi and Fantasy, but this movie didn't really work. I'm a huge fan of MM and still had issues, except for his performance. Monster Inc. is also very good, but your right, it is a 2001 film. Hated the 1st Harry Potter, so I didn't see no. 2.

BLG
Old 12-31-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I liked Reign of Fire quite a bit. To me, and several critics felt the same way, the acting was superb. The actors treated the script as something more than just a campy sci-fi film. They took it seriously. And I though the effects were consistently good. In many films, including SW:AOTC and LOTR:TTT, some effect shots are great and some are less so. But Reign of Fire's effect shots were consistent.

You may be the first person that I have come across who did not like Harry Potter. Everybody I know loved it. And I thought the second one was better than the first.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:39 AM   #4
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

harry potter should'ne even be on the list.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:44 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Well, it is my list. I can do what I want. I thought it was a hell of a lot better than Spiderman, which so many people seem to loved.

I also left off Solaris, which I did not see, so I could not include it. And considering the wide range of reactions to it, I can't be sure how I would rank it.

Old 12-31-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

Not that anyone cares, but here's my view on the Top 10...

1T. Attack of the Clones (Yoda was just too cool! & Natalie Portman)
1T. Two Towers (Gollum was awesome, but just too much of Liv's character.. barely mentioned in 1st 2 books... even less consistent with the book than the 1st one)
3. Spiderman (what's not to like? Follows the Spidey story, nice wet T-Shirt shot)
4. Goldmember (too freakin' hilarious!)
5. Harry Potter 2 (where's Peeves?)
6. Lilo & Stitch (way better'n I thought it'd be)
7. Signs (haven't seen it yet... based on sheer "wanna see it&quot
8. Minority Report (see Signs)
9. Reign of Fire (Mad Max with a few dragons... nothing special & they forgot about the egg...)
10. Road to Perdition (haven't seen, yet, but if it was good enuf for your #3, I'll keep it on my list)
Old 12-31-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

what about 8 Mile
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:11 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< what about 8 Mile >>

Did not see it. I was interested in it, though. But my movie watching decreased dramatically after August.

Old 12-31-2002, 01:59 PM   #9
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

hmmm.... I watch a lot of movies, the Transporter was one I really enjoyed. I thought the Ring might make a list.
Here's mine:
1. Two Towers
2. Gangs of New York (This movie was VERY well acted IMO, esp. Daniel Day Lewis)
3. The Transporter
4. Attack of the clones
5. Road to Peridition
6. Goldmember
7. Minority Report
8. Signs
9. Spiderman
10. The Bourne Identity
Old 12-31-2002, 06:21 PM   #10
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I did not see 10 movies this year, but here's what I did see.

1. Ice Age
2. The Ring
3. Minority Report
4. Analyze That
5. Lilo &amp; Stitch

Only 5 movies?! I think I might have seen one or two more, but I can't remember. This is sad!

Also saw Pluto Nash, but can't put it in my top 10.

New Year's resolution #2: See more movies.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:01 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

This is everything I saw, I think, ranked in descending order of interest/enjoyment, with my personal rating of 1-10 noted in parentheses:

1. The Hours (8.5)
2. Pauline et Paulette (8.0)
3. Roger Dodger (7.5)
4. Ararat (7.0)
5. Italian for Beginners (7.0)
6. L'emploi du temps (7.0)
7. Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (7.0)
8. Business of Strangers (6.5)
9. Y tu mam&aacute; tambi&eacute;n (5.5)
10.Solo m&iacute;a (5.0)

Bonus Coverage:
11. Mostly Martha (4.5)
12. Tadpole (4.5)
13. Spiderman (4.0)
14. Red Dragon (3.5)
15. Sweet Home Alabama (3.0)
16. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (3.0)
17. Austin Powers and Goldmember (2.5)

Bonus-Bonus Coverage:

Anyone not familiar with Internet Movie Data Base?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:19 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i probably saw 35-40 movies last year..so it would be hard to rank them... let me see what i can come up with.

#1. TTT
#2. Frailty
#3 My Big Fat Greek Wedding
#5 We Were Soldiers
#6. The Bourne Identity
#7 Sum of All Fears
#8 Changing Lanes
#9 Signs
10 Bowling for Columbine
other movies i liked
adaptation, HP2, 8 mile, spider-man(although a bit overrated), road to perdition, reign of fire, ..i really can't remember anything right now.

i don't like the #4 that well..so, i pulled it from my list
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:45 PM   #13
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Murph, you already ranked fraility number 2, then you mentioned it again?
Old 01-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

good point uber..come up with a list and stop criticizing me
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:23 PM   #15
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Oh my friend, how can I come up with a list when I already made one?

Or would you like another? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

come up with a GOOD list..one worth mentioning

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #17
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

I guess this would be a good list, no? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

#1. TTT
#2. Frailty
#3 My Big Fat Greek Wedding
#4 8 Mile
#5 We Were Soldiers
#6. The Bourne Identity
#7 Sum of All Fears
#8 Changing Lanes
#9 Signs
10 Bowling for Columbine
Old 01-01-2003, 11:43 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

a little better.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:11 AM   #19
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Really enjoyed:

Bowling For Columbine
Hours
Talk to Her
Y Tu Mama, Tambien
Human Nature
25th Hour
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Road to Perdition
Catch me If you Can
Gangs of New York

With a nod to &quot;Far from Heaven&quot; as the most creepy, strange, fascinatingly odd movie that recreates and spins the melodramas of the 50's.

Total Disappointment:

Wind Talkers
Panic Room

Slight Disappointment:
TTT
Minority Report
Signs

Biggest Surprise:

8 Mile. By 100 miles !