Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 PM   #401
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@NickNeppach: With nine regular season games, plus the post season to go, Mo Bamba just blocked his 93rd shot of the season. That breaks the record for blocks in a season at Texas. Bamba has five blocks tonight against Texas Tech.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 PM   #402
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Bamba returned to the game, but he had to leave with a foot injury. I'd like to see a replay of it. On the broadcast they say he had to leave the court & go back to the locker room to be examined in the previous game. Something to keep an eye on.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:42 PM   #403
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Bamba returned to the game, but he had to leave with a foot injury. I'd like to see a replay of it. On the broadcast they say he had to leave the court & go back to the locker room to be examined in the previous game. Something to keep an eye on.
Could be something that comes up again, could be a sign of toughness if he overcomes it (which would alleviate a bit of concern I have about his skinny frame).

Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #404
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Not sure if Bamba will get many/any All-Star nods in his career, but he should be a perennial contender for the NBA All-Defensive Team right out of the gate.

He isn't so much a star as he is a cornerstone player -- Dennis/Barnes/Bamba would still be one FA superstar away from being a serious contender, but it's a good core... You've got DSJ orchestrating the offense and dunking on fools, Harrison playing the Robin role, and Mo locking down the paint, getting put-backs/lobs, and cleaning the glass. That could work.
Just for discussions sake what player do you think would put us into contender status with that core? Let's omit a few names as they are unattainable/won't come here. Lebron, KD, Curry, Harden, Westbrook, CP3.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #405
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Just for discussions sake what player do you think would put us into contender status with that core? Let's omit a few names as they are unattainable/won't come here. Lebron, KD, Curry, Harden, Westbrook, CP3.
How would that Dennis/Barnes/Bamba core look with a healthy Kawhi Leonard and a few sharpshooters?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #406
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

I really like how this breaks down for the Mavs. They're on a 5 game losing streak. By all reports the Mavs locker room was majorly bummed out after their 2 pt loss to DEN on Matthews missed buzzer beater 3. PHX just kicked their butts, and they're on 9 day road trip.

SAC on the other hand had a 12 pt 4th qtr comeback win on the road in MIA, not to mention they just took down the Pelicans in NO, and they've won 3 of their last 4. Granted they do face Golden State the night before they play us, but Golden State might literally blow the hinges of the door, seeing has how the Kings are next up for the defending champs after losing by 30 to Utah. I could see SAC's starters/vets getting plenty of rest in the 2nd half of that game. Plus, SAC is a young team, anyways. They might even get fueled up vs the Mavs, if they get embarrassed by GSW.

If we give DAL losses @ GSW and @ HOU, then how do we get to 19 wins before the break when our only other games are @ SAC, @ LAC, vs LAL, and vs SAC?

Best case scenario we split with SAC, and split with the 2 LA teams. That only gives us 18 wins at the break. I think there's a chance this team is in a real funk, mentally & it's possible they only win 1 more game before the break.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:22 AM   #407
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Side note: ORL has some very winnable games now until the All Star break. If the Mavs can stay 18 wins or fewer, or drop both games to SAC, I think they have an excellent shot at having the 2nd worst record in the league at the break. That would have to send some sort of message to the front office.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #408
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Arizona crushed Washington St. Ayton very impressive (altho consider the competition spent most of his time being guarded by guys listed at 6-8/6-9).

Jaren Jackson Jr saw the floor for just 12 minutes tonight. He had 3 blocks but 4 personal fouls. He had to sit a lot of time vs Maryland on Saturday late in the 2nd half because he was sitting on 4 fouls in that game too, and when he did come in, he wound up fouling out (altho not before collecting a pivotal, very impressive block off the backboard). Nonetheless, foul concerns have me questioning his stock just a bit.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #409
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

BKN knocking off Philly and collecting their 19th win of the season shouldn't go overlooked either.

As far as Team Tank goes, this has been an amazing run, all things considered, since the upset win vs WAS
Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #410
Underdog

Old 02-01-2018, 03:41 AM   #411
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
If we can somehow drop these next 2 games with SAC before the All Star break, I think I'd actually favor us to finish with the 2nd worst record in the NBA this season.

Unfortunately, ATL is next to impossible to surpass because they don't have any young talent to bring off the bench that can possibly steal a game here or there. Those players are named John Collins and Terry Dorsey. Good luck with that.

However, we see what the Mavs are when JJ Barea and/or Devin Harris sit. This is a bad team. If... well I won't even say if anymore, WHEN we wind up with 17 or 18 wins at the All Star break, and we the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the league, the Mavs' Front Office is going to have to face reality. That's when we should start to see Motley called up, Jalen Jones added to the roster, and hopefully they give Kyle Collinsworth a contract for the rest of the season & start giving him minutes over Barea & Harris. It's when we should start to see players like Barnes & Matthews sit the second night of a back-to-back; although, Matthews is pretty bad imo. Honestly, I'd rather see him play. He's been helping our tanking efforts quite a bit lately.

You really gotta look at this record & say we haven't even tried to tank yet, and we have the most losses of any team in the NBA, tied with ATL. Only 2 teams have fewer wins than we do, ATL & ORL at 15, and we only have 16. We have the 3rd worst winning pct in the league, and we're within reach of the worst winning pct in the league, and we haven't even been trying yet.

I just heard Seth Davis talk about some of these college prospects. I'm pretty fired up!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #412
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Could be something that comes up again, could be a sign of toughness if he overcomes it (which would alleviate a bit of concern I have about his skinny frame).
5th video down, left-hand column shows the injury scare Bamba had that I was talking about.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400989264

Man seeing him laying on the ground with those toothpick legs in the air. This kid is going to need time to fill out and physically develop. Time in the weight room too. Say Mavs are drafting 6th, and take Bamba as the best BPA/need player on the board. We're right back in the lottery next year too (not necessarily a bad thing) because Bamba isn't ready to handle the physicality of the NBA right now. In that respect, Bamba and Ayton are light years apart. Actually, in that respect Ayton and every other big man Bagley III, Jackson Jr, etc are light years apart. Bamba in particular (along with Jackson Jr) are just so gosh darn skinny.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 AM   #413
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
IMO Trae Young isn't some can't-miss generational talent. He's a crafty point with deep range and a below average defender/ rebounder. Throttling both his and DSJ's development by putting them together would be a severe mistake. If he's what's left of the 'tier 1' guys when we pick, then trade down to pick up one of the Bridges and get a future 1st out of it.
Just listened to Seth Davis on with Chris Mannix of Yahoo Sports. I like the way he put this.

Mannix asked, "I have a lot of people telling me they see Trae Young as the 8th or 9th best prospect in this draft with a lot of room to move up if he has a big NCAA tournament performance. Where do you see Trae Young?"

Davis said, "Do we have to over think this? I guess we do or otherwise guys like you and I don't have jobs. Look Trae Young is leading the country in points and assists. Do we really have to over think this? What are we worried about? That he can't hit NBA threes? He's hitting NBA threes already. Did you see how he made a game-to-game transformation in his game going 7 of 9 for 26 pts vs Kansas? This kid is a prodigy. Like I said earlier (regarding Jayson Tatum), the bar for being an exceptional athlete is lowered when you're an exceptional shooter. Guys have to come out and guard you. Trae Young is an athlete, a good enough athlete for the special kind of shooter he is. That kid is going to be a special player in this league for years to come."

He went on to say that he thought Steph Curry would be a better defender in the NBA if he had to be.

I don't know, but every lottery pick comes with some inherent risk. I damn sure wouldn't pass on Trae Young because of stupid, faulty reasoning that had the Minnesota Timberwolves pass on Steph Curry twice taking Jonny Flynn and Ricky Rubio in front of him. If anything, I'd be scared to pass on Trae Young.

I don't see anyway Trae Young slides out of the top 5 in this draft. I'll probably have him in my top 3 by the time June rolls around.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #414
Underdog

Can't find the source right now, but I saw someone reputable on Twitter mention that Memphis could be interested in pairing Trae Young (or Colin Sexton) with Mike Conley now that Tyreke Evans is on his way out... Not sure how well they'd fit together, but it could be one more team (in addition to Orlando) looking to take Trae off the board so we don't have to make that tough decision.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-01-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #415
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Lottery watch - Strength of remaining schedule
8) Grizzlies +3.0 (22nd hardest schedule)
7) Nets +3.0 (13th hardest schedule)
6) Bulls +2.5 (4th hardest schedule)
5) Suns +2.0 (3rd hardest schedule)
4) Kings +1.0 (12th hardest schedule)
2) Magic === (22nd hardest schedule)
2) Mavs === (27th hardest schedule)
1) Hawks -0.5 (15th hardest schedule)

Last night was a great night to be a Mavs fan. Mavs fall into a tie for 2nd. Suns get bumped back further.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-01-2018 at 10:03 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #416
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Arizona crushed Washington St. Ayton very impressive (altho consider the competition spent most of his time being guarded by guys listed at 6-8/6-9).

Jaren Jackson Jr saw the floor for just 12 minutes tonight. He had 3 blocks but 4 personal fouls. He had to sit a lot of time vs Maryland on Saturday late in the 2nd half because he was sitting on 4 fouls in that game too, and when he did come in, he wound up fouling out (altho not before collecting a pivotal, very impressive block off the backboard). Nonetheless, foul concerns have me questioning his stock just a bit.
Jackson Jr. is only 19 though and foul trouble is usually just a function of learning the mental part of the game. But he or Bamba are going to take a few years to get up to speed. Also, Bamba's injury was a fluke- his guy fell back into him.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #417
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
If I recall correctly, it was a thigh contusion and he returned after getting examined. That was the previous game, did not catch the foot injury.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #418
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
If I recall correctly, it was a thigh contusion and he returned after getting examined. That was the previous game, did not catch the foot injury.
The thigh injury was minor. He left the floor and came back in the second half to put up
25pts 15reb 4blocks

Bamba had a minor ankle/foot tweak in the Texas Tech game last night, but he walked it off and ultimately played until he fouled out. He ended up with:
12pts, 10reb, 7blocks.

As far as I can tell, the only significant injury he's had was a concussion in October.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-01-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #419
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

LAL vs BKN tonight. Somebody has to get the W. I like the revenge narrative for DeAngelo Russell. Hopefully, he has a big game tonight!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #420
Underdog

Quote:
LAL vs BKN tonight. Somebody has to get the W. I like the revenge narrative for DeAngelo Russell. Hopefully, he has a big game tonight!
Flip a coin, don't really care who wins since they're tied... Rooting hard for SAC, PHX, ATL, CHA tonight though.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #421
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Flip a coin, don't really care who wins since they're tied... Rooting hard for SAC, PHX, ATL, CHA tonight though.
I think BKN is the less talented team. They're a team who could lose more games than the Mavs without trying to tank. Every win the Nets get should be a fist pump for Mavs' fans. Granted, if the Lakers win tonight, then I'm happy about that too. But, I don't think the Lakers will lose more games than the Mavs this year. For reasons I outlined in my mega post awhile back.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #422
Underdog

Quote:
I think BKN is the less talented team. They're a team who could lose more games than the Mavs without trying to tank. Every win the Nets get should be a fist pump for Mavs' fans. Granted, if the Lakers win tonight, then I'm happy about that too. But, I don't think the Lakers will lose more games than the Mavs this year. For reasons I outlined in my mega post awhile back.
Okay, you convinced me... Go, Nets.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #423
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

The thought of pairing Doncic and DSJ is really intriguing.

I think Bamba impact on defense is really impressive. He seems to have a solid offensive skillset that just needs to be developed. I'd love to see the Mavs with big who can make a living on the FT line. He had hit 17-18 FT's going into the Tech game.

I think the top 7-8 players are really close in this draft. Glad to see it looks like the Mavs will land one.

I like Bates-Diop and was hoping for him in the 2nd round but his stock seems to be rising to the 1st round.

Last edited by sig; 02-03-2018 at 01:45 AM.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:52 AM   #424
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post
I like Bates-Diop and was hoping for him in the 2nd round but his stock seems to be rising to the 1st round.
That's a guy I'd be interested in if we somehow landed a late first before the deadline... Agree that he probably won't be there in the second round.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #425
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

nbadraft.net just updated their mock, and they have Bates-Diop going in the 2nd round, 50th overall. Although, nbadraft.net doesn't have the best reputation for accuracy from what I read.

I can't seem to find any real clips of Bates-Diop. Either of you guys have a highlight reel link for him?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #426
Underdog

Quote:
nbadraft.net just updated their mock, and they have Bates-Diop going in the 2nd round, 50th overall. Although, nbadraft.net doesn't have the best reputation for accuracy from what I read.

I can't seem to find any real clips of Bates-Diop. Either of you guys have a highlight reel link for him?
I can't find any highlight reels, but here are the highlights from the MSU game that first caught my attention (notice his super-soft touch as most of his shots early in the game hit the front of the rim, but still end up rolling into the bucket): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8uxrTz1Tw

Range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGByogIfJd4

Dunk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9ikmj_hMc

Efficiency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHcIrXWaUc

7'2" Wingspan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gs_xzbisH0

Old 02-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #427
Underdog

@MavsDraft: right now 8th in tank race is on pace for 29 wins. Mavs would have to go 13-17 the rest of the way to get the 8 seed. While I think Rick is magnificent and could do it, I don't see it.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #428
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@MavsDraft: right now 8th in tank race is on pace for 29 wins. Mavs would have to go 13-17 the rest of the way to get the 8 seed. While I think Rick is magnificent and could do it, I don't see it.
Rick could absolutely go 13-17. That's not some ridiculous record or insurmountable feat by any means.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #429
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Rick could absolutely go 13-17. That's not some ridiculous record or insurmountable feat by any means.
When you're 16-36 it is... You're telling me we can win about the same amount of games in half the tries? With this squad? No amount of coaching can change the lack of talent on the floor. And thank goodness for that -- less chance of killing our draft position.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-03-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #430
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When you're 16-36 it is... You're telling me we can win about the same amount of games in half the tries? With this squad? No amount of coaching can change the lack of talent on the floor. And thank goodness for that -- less chance of killing our draft position.
As long as there are games, I worry.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #431
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It is with the talent on this roster.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #432
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

The more I watch Jaren Jackson Jr the more impressed I am with him. Tonight 10 pts 3 rebs 2 assts 7 blks 1 stl 1 trey
Old 02-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #433
Underdog

Quote:
The more I watch Jaren Jackson Jr the more impressed I am with him. Tonight 10 pts 3 rebs 2 assts 7 blks 1 stl 1 trey
Yeah, I’m really starting to warm up to him.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #434
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And he’s like 18 or something. I think I remember reading he’s the youngest legit draft eligible player?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #435
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
And he’s like 18 or something. I think I remember reading he’s the youngest legit draft eligible player?
I don't know if he's the youngest eligible, but he's definitely the youngest being projected at the top of the draft.

EDIT: looks like Jontay Porter (Missouri) is actually younger -- some mocks have him going at the end of the first, some don't even have him getting picked.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-04-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #436
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Lottery watch - Strength of remaining schedule

6) Nets +1.5 (16th hardest schedule)
6) Grizzlies +1.5 (24th hardest schedule)
6) Bulls +1.5 (4th hardest schedule)
5) Suns +0.5 (3rd hardest schedule)
4) Mavs === (23rd hardest schedule)
3) Kings -0.5 (14th hardest schedule)
1) Magic -1.0 (24th hardest schedule)
1) Hawks -1.0 (17th hardest schedule)

Mavs jump from 2nd to 4th with the win. Three teams breathing down our neck within 1.5 games

Edit, Suns about to lose too. They'll close the gap to 0.5

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-04-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #437
mac222b
Diamond Member

8th pick here we come. Culture!

Last edited by mac222b; 02-04-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #438
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Pisses me off so much. I just fired off an email to Mark Cuban about it.

Hawks won today too. If the Mavs had any common sense, they would of taken their L last night & today they'd be in a virtual tie for the worst record in the league.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #439
Underdog

Quote:
Pisses me off so much. I just fired off an email to Mark Cuban about it.

Hawks won today too. If the Mavs had any common sense, they would of taken their L last night & today they'd be in a virtual tie for the worst record in the league.
Mark Cuban can't do anything about players wanting to win... And why wouldn't they? They don't benefit from losing -- some of these guys are going to be FAs this summer, and none of them aside from Barnes/Powell/Dennis are guaranteed contracts past next season.

And it's not like you can bench all the vets without a good reason either -- their next payday depends on the minutes they play now. If you bench them, then no veteran FAs are gonna want to play here.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-04-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #440
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Mark Cuban can't do anything about players wanting to win... And why wouldn't they? They don't benefit from losing -- some of these guys are going to be FAs this summer, and none of them aside from Barnes/Powell/Dennis are guaranteed contracts past next season.

And it's not like you can bench all the vets without a good reason either -- their next payday depends on the minutes they play now. If you bench them, then no veteran FAs are gonna want to play here.
I don’t think it’s that black and white. Players aren’t going to not sign here because Harrison Barnes got some rest days or JJB didn’t play in the 2nd half of a meaningless February game. They likely wouldn’t even know the difference. Doing the right thing in their instance is almost like doing it in a vacuum. Our “culture” hasn’t tangibly benefited us in any significant way since 2011. What we’ve seen is that star players want to play with other star players. More significantly their buddies. Which made it harder for us to lure another star to play with Dirk. Do the players all know that RC is one of the best coaches and that Cuban is a “cool dude”. Of course. But these star types make their own rules. If Westbrook and George want Donovan gone he’s gone tmrw.

The best way to lure a future star FA is to lose this season as much as humanly possible and have two young foundation pieces for 2020 or 2022 or whenever it is that we have a legit shot at the superstar FA. That or have the assets to trade for him.

If everyone is on the same page there are subtle ways to tank. We don’t have to bench all the vets. I think they have to two strong personalities and a yes man in charge. It’s lead to a series of mistakes and half measures.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-04-2018 at 08:14 PM.