Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Game Winning Shots

82 games has an interesting study on game winning shots up.

Link here.

I don't have time to copy/paste or summarize all of it, so check it out for yourself.

Suffice to say, Dirk hits big shots, despite some people swearing to the contrary.

<insert UD's favorite pic here>

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Francis?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Steve Francis?
From that page, above where the table is listed: "So we're looking at five full regular and playoff seasons, with additionally the current 08-09 season so far."
Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I know. It's still amazing that Stevie is on there.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking on the 08-09 clutch players.

Dirk is obviously pretty high in scoring, but what I found interesting is that Barea was above anyone on the Mavericks besides Dirk and Jet in scoring (not Bass, not Kidd). He had not a missed a 3PT in "clutch" time, although he may have only taken that game winner, which would make him 1/1.

Kidd, on the other hand, averages 4.5 steals in clutch time per 48 (2nd to only Trevor Ariza) and shoots 63.6% from 3s. 8th in assists per 48 in clutch situations.

Bass was in the top 20 in rebounds in clutch times per 48, with 14.6. Also shot 75% in clutch situations.

Josh Howard, believe it or not, has the largest +/- in clutch time, with +41, +1 more than Lebron. Guess who's 3rd on that list? Brandon Bass, with a +37.

Interestingly, Dirk, Kidd, Jet and Barea are all in the top 20 as well, so that kind of puts a damper on the Howard stat (who averages merely 0.4 points per 48 in clutch situations than Jason Kidd).

That's 6 Mavs in the top 20 +/- in clutch situations. Cavs only have 3, LAL only have 3, Boston only has 3, Denvers and Hornets only have 2, and Spurs have 1.

Josh also has not missed a FT in clutch situations. I'm going to blame that on the fact he's taken maybe 2 FT's in clutch situations...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem with it is this:

It should not be deemed game winning shots. They are including shots a player hits even when the opponent comes down the floor and hits a shot as well. To steal a line from The Princess Bridde.. I don't think that word means what they think it means.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
The only problem with it is this:

It should not be deemed game winning shots. They are including shots a player hits even when the opponent comes down the floor and hits a shot as well. To steal a line from The Princess Bridde.. I don't think that word means what they think it means.
That's semantics.

If you're shooting a shot in the last 24 seconds to take the lead, you're shooting for the game. The other team may come back and make a shot on top of yours, but that doesn't reduce the clutchness that was required to make your shot.

Just because everyone forgets about it doesn't mean it wasn't significant.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's semantics.

If you're shooting a shot in the last 24 seconds to take the lead, you're shooting for the game. The other team may come back and make a shot on top of yours, but that doesn't reduce the clutchness that was required to make your shot.

Just because everyone forgets about it doesn't mean it wasn't significant.
I agree with the line of reasoning. Dirk made a clutch as hell shot against the Spurs in Game 5. But he wasn't rewarded because they called the phantom foul.

Dirk is a lot more clutch than people realize. The problem is everyone associates him with one moment. When you think of Jordan's clutchness, what springs to mind? It has to be the shot over Ehlo, or the shot over Russell or the j at NC. Bar none. But no one remembers the misses.

Dirk suffers from the opposite effect. Everyone points out the free throw yet no one remembers the clutch shot over Shaq in the Finals, the clutch shot over Quentin Richardson against Ph, the shot over Marion, the shot over Bowen, the shot over the entire Grizzlies, the shot over Bonner, the shot over Kaman, and this year the shot over Reggie Evans...

But why deem it gamewinners when it isn't? That defeats the purpose of the nname. If you aren't going to hold to a strict definition then the name should not so strict.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Looks like Flip Murray is the guy the Mavs need for those situations.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

What i got from that article is that the ability to hit last second shots is about the single most overrated thing in the NBA. How many times have we heard that the mavs need to trade Dirk for a player like Lebron or Kobe who can make the clutch shots to win -- well, they're 34% and 25% respectively.

I think these stats are pretty telling overall. I wish they would filter out the desperation heaves (maybe take out shots from further than 30 feet out), but overall, this is probably a pretty good sample. I do think superstars should "defer" to other player's more down the stretch, even though the fans/media would probably criticize them if they did.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
...or were you referring to THIS one?

Last edited by Underdog; 02-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Rogue

Rogue is an unknown quantity at this point

kidd's game-tieing shot versus bulls was more valuable that most of those winning shots IMO.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Good to see the American flag...... on a completely flat, unwrinkled surface.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Do yall believe there is a difference in between taking a last second shot when you are down 1/2 points or when the game is tied?

Psychologically / Mentally speaking...
Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Do yall believe there is a difference in between taking a last second shot when you are down 1/2 points or when the game is tied?

Psychologically / Mentally speaking...
The physics are the same, but a missed shot during a tie doesn't lose the game like a missed shot when you're down...

I'd imagine it would be psychologically stressful for most players in the NBA - not Dirk or JET, but most players...

Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

That is my friend's argument. That those stats need to have a breakdown for that. Because there is a big psychological difference. One you go to OT and the other you lose.

I don't feel that way. In basketball, towards the end of a game..many plays happen on improvisation where you don't have time to think about that stuff. No matter what you are just trying to score.

But either way there are way too many variables to study this. And I am guessing in this study the notion of ceteris paribus applies.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

"proud asian-american"

I wish it showed who makes which tags because I would rep the crap out of this person.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
That is my friend's argument. That those stats need to have a breakdown for that. Because there is a big psychological difference. One you go to OT and the other you lose.

I don't feel that way. In basketball, towards the end of a game..many plays happen on improvisation where you don't have time to think about that stuff. No matter what you are just trying to score.

But either way there are way too many variables to study this. And I am guessing in this study the notion of ceteris paribus applies.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much it affects players. It affects fans, but my bet is that athletes in the heat of the moment don't really have time to think about that sorta stuff.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Steve Francis?
Yeah, that was really surprising. The real Steve Franchise is Steve Novak anyways.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk = clutch...again, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, josh clutch? never., proud asian-american