Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future
Default MAVS 130 - JAZZ 101 Post Game Recap

Well... since no one started a post-game thread, I took it upon myself to make one.

First of all... THE MAVS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!! Its quite an accomplishment to be in the playoffs for 9 consecutive years. And they did it in style!

Great win tonight. It was pretty much a great team effort from the start. Everyone from the starters to the subs came in and played really well.

Dirk was again amazing. He was very efficient on the floor and he was not only attempting jump shots, he was actually trying to drive on certain occasions. He was also active on the boards. JET really shot well in the early goings. He made consecutive 3s and that pretty much started the great run by the Mavs.

Kidd had a good game. Not one of his best but he directed the flow well. He controlled the tempo well. He only had 5 points but considering that the others were shooting it well, he probably felt that he didn't need to score as much.

Howard was very active tonight, specially defensively. He was hustling and rebounding well. He had 7 steals. He didn't shoot well but I surmise it was because of his eye being injured. He has been playing really great defense these past few games. If he plays this way consistently, this Mavs team is going to be a lot tougher than most people think.

Damp was great tonight. He was battling it out there with the Utah bigs. He really rebounded well. 7 offensive boards! He had a few turnovers but I forgive him. He really made it up with his rebounding and hustle out there.

I have to give a lot of credit to JJB tonight. He really played well. It was probably one of his finest games. He shot well and didn't force too many plays for himself. He dished out a season high 9 assists. That's pretty good for a backup PG. Usually when he plays too many minutes, the defense really falters but tonight, he wasn't a negative factor (defensively) at all.

Wright again didn't shoot well but he was good defensively. He really defended Deron well. I believe his defense on Deron was also a key to the Mavs win.

Gotta love Singleton. He was very productive out there. He was rebounding and hustling all over the court. I loved the sequence when he had 2 consecutive offensive rebounds and then he made the layup. Hardworking and hustle players are always an asset and this guy is truly an asset.

Hey, even Matt Carroll hit a 3!!! So that just goes to show you that the Mavs were destined to win tonight!

Overall, our beloved Mavericks played extremely well to deserve a big win over the Utah Jazz. Their offense was terrific tonight. They played great defense. They crashed the boards. Total team effort. The total recipe for a great win!

Hopefully, this win will give them some momentum going into Friday's game against the Hornets. Try to move up Mavs!!!

Last edited by monty55555; 04-09-2009 at 12:05 AM.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of
Default Mavs 130 Jazz 101

BG slacking as always, and we banished GHAZI from GDT's why?

well, good win for the boys. The body and ball movement was pristine and we hit our shots. Shout out to our beloved Damp tonight. Lots of offensive rebounds, 2nd chance points were lopsided in favor of Mavs. Dirk was efficient as ever tonight. Terry hit his shots. Kidd was solid. Are there really any complaints? None from me.

J-Ho had a poor shooting game, but I liked his hustle and body "language".

Great passes and slashing from barea as well. Although I'm vexed by his lack of ideal height at times I must say, he is a solid back up PG in this league.

Loved the energy from Singleton as always.

Again, really no complaints. We went out there and did what we had to do. There is more work to be done. Let's beat the Hornets. I've watched them for the last 7 weeks, they've been trash. Let's kick a dog while it's down baby!

Discuss

Last edited by ghazi; 04-09-2009 at 12:00 AM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Oh sorry, I made a post game recap as well. I didn't see this thread.

Mods, kindly merge.

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

lol, we posted within 15 seconds of each other probably.

Anywho to reiterate: we went out there and beat a team we were supposed to beat.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

I can go to sleep now
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

JJB is the real deal. I'm honestly getting a bit tired of all the whining about the guy. Yes, he is far from a great defender. Yes, he's too small. Yes, he needs to be a bit more judicious with how long he holds on to the ball. But the guy is just plain good. The Mavs are lucky to have him as our backup PG--he's a hell of a lot better than what other teams are rolling out there, and he's one of the reasons the Mavs have probably the best bench in the NBA.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
JJB is the real deal. I'm honestly getting a bit tired of all the whining about the guy. Yes, he is far from a great defender. Yes, he's too small. Yes, he needs to be a bit more judicious with how long he holds on to the ball. But the guy is just plain good. The Mavs are lucky to have him as our backup PG--he's a hell of a lot better than what other teams are rolling out there, and he's one of the reasons the Mavs have probably the best bench in the NBA.
With you on that.

My only complaint is that I'm not sure how much I like him taking shots at the end of the game though...

Other than that, he does everything we need him to do:
- Energy
- Instant offense
- Penetration
- Takes care of the ball

To think...we wanted Lue to back us up last year...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Howard's renewed defense is the surprise of the season IMO. I didn't think he would ever go back to playing that good on that end of the floor. I really didn't.

I agree with Longhorn about people ragging on Barea. Isn't a guy who has completely exceeded expectations deserve not only a little but a ton of credit? Gotta give Donnie credit on this one as well.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Howard's renewed defense is the surprise of the season IMO. I didn't think he would ever go back to playing that good on that end of the floor. I really didn't.
Josh has been great these past few games. He has been outstanding defensively. He is hustling and diving for lose balls. Moreover, his body language is so different from how it has been in the early part of the season.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
and we banished GHAZI from GDT's why?

|
|
|
V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post

Anywho to reiterate: we went out there and beat a team we were supposed to beat.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The best bench in the NBA? Definitely not. Under healthy circumstances:

Chris Anderson, J.R. Smith (who has come off the bench more games than started), Kleiza, Anthony Carter, Petro.

AK47, Millsap, Knight, Korver, Price, Harpring.

Travis Outlaw, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez, Greg Oden, Channing Frye, Bayless.

Odom, Farmar, Walton, Sasha, Powell, D'Benga, Brown

That's four benches better than ours right there.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
ghazi
Platinum Member

Wouldn't say we have THE best bench in the NBA but it is 1st in league in scoring! (cause of Terry)
Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed the Mavs only had 14 fast break points out of their total of 130.

So much for no Jason Kidd in the half court.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post

Chris Anderson, J.R. Smith (who has come off the bench more games than started), Kleiza, Anthony Carter, Petro.

Travis Outlaw, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez, Greg Oden, Channing Frye, Bayless.

As much as I appreciate your completely subjective, totally arbitrary list, I (obviously) disagree. The Mavs have the highest scoring bench in the NBA (37.9 pts). As far as I'm concerned, scoring is the most important thing a bench does. Thus, the Mavericks have the best bench in the NBA.

Only two of the four you listed (Utah and Denver) are even arguable. The fact that you'd say that this year's Lakers bench is better than the Mavs' either tells me: 1) you still think it's the 07-08 season, or 2) you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I thought it was widely common knowledge that the Lakers' bench this year has massively underperformed. I guess common knowledge eludes you?

As for Portland, are you kidding me? Their bench sure didn't look better than the Mavs' when JJB and Bass were running them (and their starters, for that matter) up and down the court for an entire half in Portland on X-mas.

I also find it humorous that your list probably doesn't include a single player who's having a better year than Terry. All of those benches, except maybe Utah's, are relatively top-heavy, so the fact that none of them have a better player than Terry sure says a lot.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-09-2009 at 01:40 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the Mavs just outscored Utah's bench 63-30 tonight (guess I should say last night).

So talent wise, there may be better benches. Doesn't it really just come down to production though?

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-09-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #17
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post

No way that is a pretty weak bench Walton's defense is suspect, Farmer is an average back up, Odom is solid but that is it, Lakers have the best starting 5 no doubt, but there bench is far from a strong point. I think Dallas and Denver have the best benches in the nba
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #18
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

“It kept bleeding. I was playing with one eye. But I was able to see the ball to steal it,” said Howard, who was only 3-of-11 shooting. “As long as my eyeball wasn’t falling out or I was half dead, I was going to come back out there.”

God I love this.

And the Mavs completely destroyed the Jazz with the pick and roll. I thought the Jazz would be able to make some sort of adjustment at halftime, but they weren't able to do a thing. JJ Barea was able to penetrate all day long and he was making the correct pass and the boys were making the jumpshots. Guys were doing a great job all night long making that extra pass to the open man. The Mavs were also extremely aggressive on the defensive end. The help defense tonight was awesome as were defensive rotation. As great as the demolishing was of the Suns I thought they played the best all year last night both offensively and defensively. They did everything well.

Getting back to Josh real quick though. This guy has picked it up significantly. He's playing that style of basketball which made him an all star a couple years back. He's playing good defense, excellent help defense. He's really getting his hands dirty and crashing the boards hard, and I personally believe that kind of play can be contagious. It makes other guys want to bust their butt just as much. I've been as down on Josh as anybody, and I have to admit I wanted him traded, I thought they were at the point of no return with him. But I got to say, we need Josh Howard on this team if we're going to win anything, it's that simple. If he continues to play like this, with the heart and determination then this team can be a very, very tough out in the playoffs.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 04-09-2009 at 02:10 AM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #19
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As much as I appreciate your completely subjective, totally arbitrary list, I (obviously) disagree. The Mavs have the highest scoring bench in the NBA (37.9 pts). As far as I'm concerned, scoring is the most important thing a bench does. Thus, the Mavericks have the best bench in the NBA.

Only two of the four you listed (Utah and Denver) are even arguable. The fact that you'd say that this year's Lakers bench is better than the Mavs' either tells me: 1) you still think it's the 07-08 season, or 2) you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I thought it was widely common knowledge that the Lakers' bench this year has massively underperformed. I guess common knowledge eludes you?

As for Portland, are you kidding me? Their bench sure didn't look better than the Mavs' when JJB and Bass were running them (and their starters, for that matter) up and down the court for an entire half in Portland on X-mas.

I also find it humorous that your list probably doesn't include a single player who's having a better year than Terry. All of those benches, except maybe Utah's, are relatively top-heavy, so the fact that none of them have a better player than Terry sure says a lot.
Lol. You call my list subjective, yet discount Portland's bench because of their performance solely against THE MAVERICKS this year. Portland's bench is far better and that is not really debatable. Don't even try that "our bench leads the NBA in bench scoring." That's BS and you know it. Terry is a starter and plays starter minutes. No other team has a starter like Terry come off the bench in that capacity sans S.A at times with Manu. Without Terry our bench scores a whopping 18 PPG. Our bench is only 4 deep. MC, Green and Hollins hardly ever play, with MC and Green being essentially worthless, and Hollins not being a scorer.

So you're telling me you think Bass, Singleton and JJB constitute the best bench in the NBA?

You are really coming off ignorant right now by bringing up Terry every 5 words. OBVIOUSLY those benches don't have a player who's a better scorer than Terry, because they are BENCHES, composed of reserves. Terry is a starting NBA PG/SG. Guess what? ONE player does not make a bench. The rest of our bench is solid, but far from the NBA's best.

If NJ suddenly decided to bring Carter off the bench, guess what? They'd have the highest scoring bench in the NBA! Would that make them the best bench in the NBA?

Look at Portland. Outlaw averages 13 a game. Rudy 10. Oden 9. Sergio and Frye 5 each. That's called balance. It isn't top heavy like our bench. And it goes 7 deep. Our bench goes 4 deep. Denver's bench is deep and complimentary. Our bench uses no real center, no defensive stopper, one legitimate scorer in Terry. A solid backup PF in Bass, a solid backup PG in Barea and a energy guy in Singleton. Using your logic, Denver's bench is superior because they killed us four times this year while ours sucked.

Take off the homer glasses.

Last edited by CadBane; 04-09-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #20
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
No way that is a pretty weak bench Walton's defense is suspect, Farmer is an average back up, Odom is solid but that is it, Lakers have the best starting 5 no doubt, but there bench is far from a strong point. I think Dallas and Denver have the best benches in the nba
Thanks for that insightful analysis. Almost as insightful as your prediction of Dirk having an "ok" game tonight.

Singleton's offense is suspect, JJB is an average back up, Terry is solid, but that is it.

See how easy that is?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

You know, we've been saying all along that the Lakers might tank the last game to get us instead of Utah, but if the Lakers were watching tonight, that might not still be their gameplan.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #22
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

130 ? Wat ?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #23
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I especially loved how the Mavs tore apart that pitiful excuse of a zone defense without missing a beat.

Did you even notice when Utah tried to play zone?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #24
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 04-09-2009 at 03:19 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:51 AM   #25
ghazi
Platinum Member

Arbitrary stat of the night: Mavs are 10-1 in their last 11 games in which JET/Dirk/J-Ho play in the 2nd half, with a +10.6 margin of victory.

Hoho !
Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #26
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Wow. What a complete game. What a complete spanking... over an actually good team too. The Mavs dominated in every aspect.

What I loved most about this game is that the Mavs won not just by outhustling their opponent (which they did) and outscoring their opponent (which they did) and playing tougher defense than their opponent (against a team which most would rate as much better defensively than the mavs)... but most importantly by playing SMARTER than their opponent.

It was like the Mavs were playing a Chess game out there while the Utah Jazz were playing Checkers.

The way the Mavs picked apart the Utah zone was a thing of BEAUTY.

And please please please let this be the long awaited return of the REAL Josh Howard. The guy who plays smart, maximum effort defense and takes it hard to the basket regardless of the consequences to his body. The guy who gets in the paint and rebounds hard, even if it's against guys twice his weight. I don't care how many points he scores, if Josh Howard plays like this every night the Mavs might shock everyone in the playoffs.

If the Mavs beat New Orleans, I'm totally on the band wagon. Could this team actually be streaking into the playoffs on a hot streak for the first time?

Last edited by cinemablend; 04-09-2009 at 04:03 AM.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #27
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Team starting to peak at the right time? I sure hope so.
Great win Mavs!!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #28
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Lookin' good. Can't wait to see if we can move up in the standings at all and/or do some damage in the playoffs.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #29
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing game from Josh. Playing through a little pain, and 7 steals. 7 steals. That's sick. Also, nice to see him get to the free throw line (7/8) when his shot wasn't falling (3/11). Not to mention the 2nd most rebounds on the team (8).

Dampier with a lot of the dirty work inside. Also had the best +/- (+20) of the starters, so that has to say something.

Kidd with a consistent 10 assists.

Dirk is Dirk, carrying this team through the 3rd.

Barea with the highest +/- (+22), with some nice shooting numbers and 9 assists. We can dog this guy all day for his defense, and deservedly, but how can you complain when he puts up these types of offensive nights?

Wright makes his way back into the starting rotation. In my mind, his benching was as much due to Barea matching up well with Nash than it was his poor play.

MaTT CARol1 hITS hiis 1stt 3hree!!!! OMG!!@!!111!@!

Now he's 1/8 .

Last edited by tcat075; 04-09-2009 at 06:57 AM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #30
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
It was like the Mavs were playing a Chess game out there while the Utah Jazz were playing Checkers.
Greatness...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, am I the only one that laughed out loud at Mark Jackson after Josh got hit in the face last night?

They showed the replay, and admittedly it was tough to tell what exactly happened. It really didn't look like that much contact. But given Josh's reaction unless you think he's flat out faking then you just assume the camera angle was funny.

Well Jackson sees the replay and says "that's not a knockout blow; that's not something that should have him on the bench". And IMMEDIATELY after he says that, Casey Smith moves out of the way just enough for us to catch a shot of Josh's face, and it looks like he's just rounding out a 12 round boxing match. He has a huge cut under/on his eye, there's blood smeared on his cheek and dripping from his nose. And his eyelid is already heavily swollen.

Honest to God laugh out loud moment as Jackson's voice fades into nothingness.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-09-2009 at 08:28 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #32
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
BTW, am I the only one that laughed out loud at Mark Jackson after Josh got hit in the face last night?

They showed the replay, and admittedly it was tough to tell what exactly happened. It really didn't look like that much contact. But given Josh's reaction unless you think he's flat out faking then you just assume the camera angle was funny.

Well Jackson sees the replay and says "that's not a knockout blow; that's not something that should have him on the bench". And IMMEDIATELY after he says that, Casey Smith moves out of the way just enough for us to catch a shot of Josh's face, and it looks like he's just rounding out a 12 round boxing match. He has a huge cut under/on his eye, there's blood smeared on his cheek and dripping from his nose. And his eyelid is already heavily swollen.

Honest to God laugh out loud moment as Jackson's voice fades into nothingness.....
Mark Jackson is worse than Screamin' A. Absolutely worse.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #33
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He is like 8th in the league for taking charges, thats solid defense. His height keeps him from really shining man to man defensively. I like me some JJB.

Underdog, Josh needs a big nutted squirrel picture for his effort last night. Actually he has been playing well since the ASB.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #34
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

What I saw was a hungry team tonight. I don't think they would have lost to anyone tonight just because they weren't going to let themselves. It seemed like every player was trying for every rebound. In the first part of the 3rd Dirk missed a couple jumpers so he decided to start driving and drawing fouls which then got him back in his rythem.

Now the challange is for Carlisle to remind them they won these last two games in part to talent, but mainly because of that thing in their chest. Great win. I was proud to be a MAvs fan last night. (Well I always am but it felt extra good seeing all the faces on the Utah fans).

Also, regarding the bench. Terry is a bench player. Wright is a starter. THey don't designate your position based on minutes. He might be our 3rd best player but he plays off our bench. Its a strategy. So since Terry does come off our bench and lots of time plays while some of the other starters take there rest he is a bench player. Terry, Bass, Singleton, Barea, Hollins and Green all count as bench. Everyone of these guys has started at least 1 game this year so don't say they are just bench foder. They play roles when we need them and usually very well. One of the top 5 benchs in the NBA.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #35
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
It seemed like every player was trying for every rebound..
That is very true. Wright early on in the game finally used that athleticism to sky for a few really good rebounds. When you see that, you don't want to be the opponent.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #36
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Underdog, Josh needs a big nutted squirrel picture for his effort last night. Actually he has been playing well since the ASB.
Josh will have to earn those big nuts through consistency - I still wanna see how he performs in the playoffs...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #37
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yah Mark Jackson is a jerk...but, to tell you the truth, I laughed when Josh went down.

After that first camera angle, I literally said out loud..."who the F cares, this guy is always injured."

There's this guy at the local gym that gets hurt every single game. Every time he is just laying there on the floor...makes me so mad, hahah.

But, yah...felt bad about it when I finally saw how messed up Josh's face was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
One of the top 5 benchs in the NBA.
Great...LD says the Mavs have the best bench and Cadbane says 4 other teams have better benches...giving us 5 teams...

Way to ride the fence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
Team starting to peak at the right time? I sure hope so.
Great win Mavs!!
I sure hope we're not peaking right now...wouldn't that mean from here on out would be a decline?

----

Oh, and I have not had that much fun watching a Mavs game in too long. Go Mavs!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 04-09-2009 at 10:32 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #38
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd like to ask Jackson why he doesn't do his patented obnoxious go-to-commercial growling commentary when the break comes after a big Mavs play like he does with other teams... but I only watched ESPN very sparingly last night.

Thank god it was on KTXA.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...ds-impact.html

Quote:
"You don't see me complaining," Howard said. "I don't give a dang. I'm just playing for my team. As long as my eyeball wasn't falling out or I wasn't half dead, I was going back out there."
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #40
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Ok, I will say we have one of the top 2 benchs. I think Denver has a very good bench.

Tags
college is a cashbah, dirk = clutch...again, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, hulkamania, idots, josh rocks the cashbah, what's a cashbah?, yur mom is a cashbah