Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #81
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
your going to ****up the win streak dude totally not cool
He's 6-0, he can do what he wants.

Edit: It has to be started after 12am CST. He gets no choice there.

Last edited by mary; 02-26-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: cussing
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #82
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
He's 6-0, he can do what he wants.

Edit: It has to be started after 12am CST. He gets no choice there.
It's mavs777 who has been starting the GDTs.

Last edited by monty55555; 02-26-2010 at 11:15 PM.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #83
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Don't want to be the one who taps the breaks, but I might prefer getting a game like this from Kidd in... let's say the 3rd game of the finals. There are not many wonders in this world, and Kidd going on like that till the games which really matter start - oh well.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany

Last edited by Zaknaf3in; 02-26-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #84
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

i have a feeling butlers "reaction to medication" is more likely a case of: we gave him the wrong meds and he may test positive for doping if tested so we are gonna not play him until it is out of his system.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #85
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555 View Post
Nowitzki4Prez started the winning streak... then mavs777 stole it from him at like 12:01 am on the 19th. mavs777 bitching about anyone "breaking up the winning streak" is just absurd.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #86
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd post game interview:
http://www.nba.com/video/games/hawks...s=iref:nbahpt2

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #87
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Watching the Orlando/NO game and if NO plays like this Sunday and Kidd has another night like tonight that game will be no contest.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #88
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

As someone who hadn't watched a lot of NBA basketball until 2006 because of literally no TV coverage over here in Germany, I can't tell those of you, who've been following this league for a long time and know all the great players, how awesome it is to watch a living legend like Jason Kidd play basketball. It seems to me that to this day, at age 37, he possesses certain God given qualities that no other player has in his repertoire. This combination of BBIQ, leadership, anticipation, distribution, will to win--he turns basketball into art.

Oh, and as far as downloads of this game are concerned, I'll gladly try and assist German Dunk with his providing download links.

Last edited by dalger; 02-26-2010 at 11:21 PM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #89
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the game. Hawks fans can be pretty rude to visitors, but whatever, what a win by the good guys, and that three in ot by Dirk shut them all up and sent them headed for the exits. I'm using my wife' blackberry so sorry for the sloppy post.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #90
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Nowitzki4Prez started the winning streak... then mavs777 stole it from him at like 12:01 am on the 19th. mavs777 bitching about anyone "breaking up the winning streak" is just absurd.
Ah... I see.. Well, whatever works.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #91
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforlife09 View Post
While it was an amazing game by Dirk, Kidd and co., the Mavs, at some point, are really going to have to start putting together complete games. We seem so damn complacent at times, it kills me. Especially when we have Dirk/Jet/Kidd/Haywood in the game and I see JJB/Marion take and miss 4-5 shots in a row, or give up turnovers. In my opinion, there should never be a period where those two guys should take that many shots in a row....

Like I said, I'm loving the result of the game, but the 2nd/3rd quarters were absolutely ATROCIOUS. Nonetheless, I am unbelievably optimistic. This 6 game winning streak, if nothing else, will do absolute wonders for this teams morale. Another bright spot: the schedule now gets much, much easier. One of the most difficult 7 games of the season, we went 6-1. I don't know about you guys, but I call that a success, and DAMN does it make me excited!!!
Man I cannot believe you can talk like this is just another game that the mavs didn't come out to play. This is a very good hawks team at their place. This is playoff basketball, it's close, it's tight and just a few plays makes the difference.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #92
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
Just got back from the game. Hawks fans can be pretty rude to visitors, but whatever, what a win by the good guys, and that three in ot by Dirk shut them all up and sent them headed for the exits. I'm using my wife' blackberry so sorry for the sloppy post.
Hotlanta is crazy. You can't walk five feet in downtown Atlanta without getting hit up for money/drugs/access to a "club".
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #93
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Man I cannot believe you can talk like this is just another game that the mavs didn't come out to play. This is a very good hawks team at their place. This is playoff basketball, it's close, it's tight and just a few plays makes the difference.
Agree. Atlanta is a dominant team at home. This was only their 6th home loss right?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #94
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaknaf3in View Post
Don't want to be the one who taps the breaks, but I might prefer getting a game like this from Kidd in... let's say the 3rd game of the finals. There are not many wonders in this world, and Kidd going on like that till the games which really matter start - oh well.
So jkiddo should save himself for that game???????? Of course you know that without this type of effort they never get to those games.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #95
dude1394
Guru

It appeared that jkiddo really,really was playing at a different level. I mean when he would sit there and patiently bait josh smith to double him so that he could kick it out. All of the mavs seemed to actually be thinking a little ahead of atlanta. Vet team I guess.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #96
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Agree. Atlanta is a dominant team at home. This was only their 6th home loss right?
I actually heard they had only lost to one other western conference team. But if folks remember the spurs/mavs playoff series, every game was a roller-coaster, it's the way of playoff basketball when two teams are really close.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #97
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

J Kidd has been playing at a different level since the trade. Very reminiscent to the way Dirk was re-energized before and after the Kidd trade, it seems like Kiddo is a kid in a candy store right now. This team has so many weapons, and now that we have big Haywood under the basket grabbing boards, he's just running with these guys.

I love this excerpt from DallasNews.com on the Kidd-Woodson play.

Quote:
"Dirk Nowitzki hit the free throw to draw the Mavericks within one point. When the game went into overtime, that extra point obviously was bigger than any other.

And when Kidd went to the bench at the timeout, he pointed to his right temple as he passed jeering fans and mouthed the word: "Smart."
Kidd takes smart basketball to another level. There are very few players in the league that would even know that specific rule, let alone seeing what was happening and then making something happen to help the team. That move by Kidd was absolutely brilliant.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 02-26-2010 at 11:36 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #98
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Those who have ESPN360 can watch the replay on the site.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #99
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
"I don't know the rule book, but he wasn't wearing a uniform. I was just hoping he stayed there."

That play [getting the t on the atlanta coach] was a gamble. Mavs had momentum, but both teams were trading shots. It had kinda turned into who would miss first. Kidd's play totally changed the pace and energy, and there was some chance they wouldn't call the t on Atlanta. Crazy. Glad Kidd was quick enough to get there while they could still say the coach was interfering.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 02-26-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #100
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
Those who have ESPN360 can watch the replay on the site.
do you know how long they keep the NBA games up?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #101
CadBane
Banned

Kidd and Dirk are such savvy players. It's great to have two floor leaders with such high BBall IQs. Dirk never turns it over, for someone that has the ball in his hands so much, his paucity of turnovers is just ridiculous. And the patience to wait for double teams, getting guys all those open threes. Kidd just has a nose for the ball. He really knows when to push it and when to slow it down. A nice play he had too, the Hawks doubled Dirk again, Dirk kicked it out, Kidd was open for the three, but waited, swung it back to Dirk for an open J. I think this is the best I've seen Dirk and Kidd play together, possibly since he came here from NJ. They really are playing off each other beautifully.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #102
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:

ATLANTA - Jason Kidd needed to take control. Hawks coach Mike Woodson gave him a perfect opportunity.

Kidd bumped into and briefly argued with Woodson, the spark Dallas needed to overcome a 15-point deficit in the fourth quarter and beat Atlanta 111-103 in overtime on Friday night.

"The coach is not supposed to be on the floor," Kidd said. "You see that a lot in games. The NBA has so many rules, and there is a coaching box, and some of the coaches do stretch that box. For me, it's just a reaction. Make something happen. It was a big play for us."

Dirk Nowitzki scored 37 points, Kidd had 19 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds, and the Mavericks won their sixth straight.

Kidd had his first triple-double this season and 104th of his career, third-most in NBA history behind Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson.

"This one, I will treasure as much as the first one I had," Kidd said. "At 36, I feel great. A triple-double at 36 is special."

Joe Johnson scored 27 points for Atlanta, which dropped to 22-7 at home. The Mavericks won their Western Conference-best 19th on the road, one more than their total last season.

Josh Smith forced overtime with a putback that tied it at 99.

With 1:37 left in regulation, Kidd bumped into Woodson after the Atlanta coach took too long to step off the court as the guard was dribbling near the left sideline.

"I said, 'You can't be on the floor. You don't have a uniform on,"' Kidd said. "It was just a play. We move on."

Woodson seemed to be pulling his right foot off the floor when Kidd used his left arm to push the coach back rather softly into the scorer's table.

"The officials got it right," Kidd said. "I thought from there, mentally, we took control of the game. That play just presented itself. It's just a reaction and just understanding what the team needs. Rules are rules. The coach isn't supposed to be on the floor."

Lead official Mark Wunderlich quickly called timeout, cleared the players from the floor and brought Dallas coach Rick Carlisle over to speak with Woodson before whistling the Atlanta coach for a technical foul.

After Nowitzki hit the ensuing free throw that cut the Atlanta lead to 97-96, Johnson missed a jumper before Kidd hit a three in front of the Hawks' bench to put Dallas ahead 99-97.

Woodson later credited Kidd with being alert.

"He made a heck of a play," Woodson said. "Jason Kidd is an all-star. He's a (potential) Hall of Fame guard. He's had a hell of a career. He did what he had to do. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to favour the team. I've got to take the hit for that."

Atlanta missed its first eight shots of overtime before Smith's layup cut the lead to 108-103 with 30 seconds remaining.

Hawks sixth man Jamal Crawford hit a pair of free throws with 8:23 left in regulation to make it 86-71 for the game's biggest lead. But he and his teammates soon lost their shooting touch, as Crawford combined with Al Horford, Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams to finish just 17 for 54 from the field.

"They were smart enough to stay in the zone (defence) until late in the game," Crawford said. "When they (switched), we were up 13 in the fourth quarter. We got some great shots. Shots that, if we came in here tomorrow, we'd knock down most of them."

Nowitzki hit 15-of-26 shots for the Mavs, and teammate Shawn Marion finished with 14 points after going 7 for 11 from the field.

The story, however, was Kidd, who had nine points, four rebounds, three assists and one steal in the final 4:53.

"Well, it wasn't at first," Kidd said. "I missed a lot of open shots and I thought I was letting my teammates down."

NOTES: Kidd's rebound total was a season high, and his assist total tied a season high. ... Mavs F DeShawn Stevenson, who started his second straight game because Caron Butler is having a negative reaction to medication, finished with three points. ... Dallas improved to 22-6 when scoring 100-plus points and 22-5 when outrebounding opponents. ... Smith's seven steals were a career high.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...lly-past-hawks
Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #103
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Kidd and Dirk are such savvy players. It's great to have two floor leaders with such high BBall IQs. Dirk never turns it over, for someone that has the ball in his hands so much, his paucity of turnovers is just ridiculous. And the patience to wait for double teams, getting guys all those open threes. Kidd just has a nose for the ball. He really knows when to push it and when to slow it down. A nice play he had too, the Hawks doubled Dirk again, Dirk kicked it out, Kidd was open for the three, but waited, swung it back to Dirk for an open J. I think this is the best I've seen Dirk and Kidd play together, possibly since he came here from NJ. They really are playing off each other beautifully.
Nice post...they really were playing like they were the only two guys out there weren't they. Beautiful to watch.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #104
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Atlanta
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #105
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Quote:
Jason Kidd's unusually clever play

By John Hollinger

Mike Woodson took a charge from Jason Kidd that ended up costing Atlanta.

ATLANTA -- Jason Kidd may be an old dog, but he still has some new tricks up his sleeve.

With 1:36 left in regulation in the Mavs’ 111-103 overtime win over the Hawks, Kidd made a move he said he’d never tried at any level. It was the veteran move to end all veteran moves -- a player drawing contact from an opposing coach.

“That play just presented itself,” said Kidd. “It’s just something that’s reaction and understanding what the team needs.”

Atlanta led 97-95 at the time as Kidd dribbled down the left sideline and saw Hawks coach Mike Woodson a full step into the court directing his players where to be on defense. Woodson didn’t see Kidd barreling toward him, but Kidd knew exactly how to take advantage.

The 36-year-old vet dribbled even further left than normal, straight toward Woodson, and made sure he drew contact. Woodson leaped away at the last minute, but he’s been retired for 20 years now and his instincts aren’t quite as sharp as when he was starring for the Kansas City Kings. The result? Contact between Kidd’s extended forearm and Woodson’s chest, and an automatic technical foul on Atlanta. Dirk Nowitzki’s free throw gave Dallas a key point that cut the Hawks’ lead in half -- one that proved crucial since the game eventually went to overtime.

“I went in a straight line,” said Kidd. “If I can’t beat him [to the spot], I’m in trouble.”

“[The official] said I was on the floor,” said Woodson. “I tried to move back and I was moving back and [Kidd] reached over the line and grabbed me.”

As near as anyone can tell, this was only the second time such a play had ever happened – the first coming when Milwaukee coach Del Harris collided with Denver guard Michael Adams in 1991. That play, however, happened because Harris walked on to the court to protest a call; Adams never intended to cross paths with him.

This play, on the other hand, happened because Kidd forced it to happen. Teammate Jason Terry called it the smartest play he’d ever seen.

“I saw him on the court, and we needed to get us a point somehow,” said Kidd. “I made the officials make something happen. He’s not supposed to be on the floor but for some reason it’s a fashion thing for coaches to be out on the floor…I’m surprised it hasn’t happened more.”

Kidd and Woodson shared some words immediately afterward, but it wasn’t bad blood as much as immediate lobbying to the refs for what to call.

“He was talking like I tried to take him out,” said Kidd. “I was saying you can’t be on the floor, you’re a coach, you’ve got no uniform on.”

As both Carlisle and Mavs owner Mark Cuban pointed out afteward, it should have been a technical foul on Woodson regardless since he was well out of the coaching box. But it likely would have slid had Kidd not forced the officials to make the call -- Woodson isn’t the first coach to wander on the court while giving defensive instructions.

“Sometimes you take a step or two [out],” said Mavs coach Rick Carlisle. “It’s very rare to see a coach out as far as he was, but it does happen.”

Kidd’s veteran move was one of two rare plays he contributed to in the fourth to help rally Dallas from a 13-point deficit in the last five and a half minutes of regulation. The other was a five-point play with 4:50 to go that cut Atlanta’s lead from 11 to six. First, Dallas got a foul and basket from Brendan Haywood. When he missed the subsequent free throw, Kidd grabbed the offensive rebound and quickly pitched it out to an open Jason Terry, who sank a 3.

That sequence was part of a lightning fast 12-0 Dallas run that took just 1:39. Kidd’s fingerprints were all over it -- after the five-point play, he stole a pass to Joe Johnson and threw ahead to J.J. Barea for a run-out lay-up, then found Dirk Nowitzki for a wide-open 3 on the next trip.

Kidd, who finished with 19 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds in what Carlisle termed “an all-time great performance,” then teamed with Nowitzki (37 points) to finish off the Hawks in OT. Kidd posted Mike Bibby with the Mavs up by four and 1:06 left and, when Atlanta’s Josh Smith inexplicably doubled him, kicked to an open Nowitzki for a 3-pointer that all but sealed it.

Nonetheless, it was a play Kidd made that did nothing for his own stat line that everyone in both locker rooms talked about afterward.

“He did what he had to do,” said Woodson. “I’ve got to take the hit for that.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...ly-clever-play

Last edited by aurelino9; 02-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #106
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Clearly, the Mavs have just been too hot and have overcome that bad mojo created by the GDT change. Was it that Miami game when Mavs777 took over? Piss-poor game but Mavs still came out on top, exhausted but satisfied with a win?

And yes, before anyone tells me, I know that's what she said on that last part.

Last edited by tcat075; 02-27-2010 at 12:25 AM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #107
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Mavs about to be pass Utah for 3rd place.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #108
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had a real bad feeling about the game today, I don't have numbers to support it but I feel that a team like Atlanta can give us fits. They're long, and athletic...guys like Smith and Horford can cause problems on defense. Then you've got a guy like Joe Johnson who is a stud scorer.

But then you realize they really don't have "it." They are a young team, they have been for a couple of years. Sure they were answering right back with timely baskets but they still aren't ready for the big stage. They don't have the consistent killer instinct, in the big games they don't have that close out factor.

Experience and talent won out tonight.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #109
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555 View Post
Not his right. The credit goes to the other guy.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #110
CadBane
Banned

I'd like to add, people always say "Oh, they've got so and so, he's long and athletic, he can bother Dirk." Josh Smith is supposed to "bother" Dirk. Dirk has just torched him in both outings, over 30 points both times. That's with a lot of hard doubles. The fact is, there is not a SINGLE player in the NBA that can really bother Dirk 1 on 1. Look at guys like Kmart, Josh Smith, Luc Richard w/ Mill, SJax, Odom. Dirk has gone off on all these guys, yet you still hear "oh, they have a long, athletic forward who can bother Dirk." No, they don't. No one does.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #111
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:

Mavs 111, Hawks 103: The Genius Of Jason Kidd, As Described By, Among Others, Del Harris
Kidd's Purposeful Collision With Atlanta Coach Shows Brains, Takes Guts
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Try to follow along here, because this is as unusual as it is complicated:
Friday in Atlanta, with 1:37 left in regulation, Jason Kidd intentionally bumped into Hawks coach Al Roker. … er, Hawks coach Mike Woodson. Woodson was on the floor at the time of the collision, which is technically illegal on Woodson’s part. That gave Dallas a free throw, part of a run that allowed the Mavs to overcome a 15-point fourth-quarter deficit and win 111-103 in overtime, for the Mavs’ sixth consecutive victory.
The play was vintage Kidd BBIQ … and ESPN’s John Hollinger, attending the game, writes that it’s so clever unusual for a player to crash into a coach that the last time anybody can remember it happening, head coach Del Harris was involved.
And as it all happened … as Kidd was intentionally bumping into Woodson … guess who I was intentionally bumping into?
That’s right. Friend-of-DB.com Del Harris.
“Well,’’ Del told me as we watched the game together in Frisco, “that’s just genius. Genius.’’
Virtually everything the Mavs did in this challenging bout between West and East contenders was genius. Dallas dictated pace early, storming ahead by 10 after the first period before settling for a 50-all tie at the half. The Mavs played without Caron Butler (a continuing negative reaction to medication) but still got offensive production from Dirk Nowitzki (37 points) on down. The Mavs shot 53 percent as Jason Terry scored 17 off the bench. Joining him from there was JJ Barea (eight points, six assists, five rebounds). Brendan Haywood recorded another double-double (11/11, with three blocks). Shawn Marion was high-percentage inside with 14 points.

When it was all over, the Mavs had won their Western Conference-best 19th road game, had vaulted to 38-21, and had that season-best six-game win streak.

But the hero of the night was Kidd, who has been terrific in all seven games since the All-Star Break and the Wizards trade (his scoring numbers: 12, 10, 10, 18, 21, 14 and now 19). Here he outplayed everybody on the floor (19 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds gives him his 104th triple-double of his career, third most behind only Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson) … and on one occasion outplayed one guy who wasn’t supposed to be on the floor.
''The coach is not supposed to be on the floor,'' Kidd said. ''You see that a lot in games. The NBA has so many rules, and there is a coaching box, and some of the coaches do stretch that box. For me, it's just a reaction. Make something happen. It was a big play for us. … I thought from there, mentally, we took control of the game.’’
(Sidebar Video: Kidd on NBA TV afterwards.)
It was rather odd to see Al Roker arguing with Kidd as he did. What was the Hawks coach’s point?
“He was talking like I tried to take him out,” said Kidd.
Yes, and that made Al Roker look ridiculous. What, like Kidd was going ape-shit, forgetting about the game itself, so he could Dick Butkus some coach? Really? Woodson thought this was some sort of Sharks-vs.-Jet knife fight?
Said Woodson, in his own lame defense: “(The official) said I was on the floor. I tried to move back and I was moving back and (Kidd) reached over the line and grabbed me.”
Sure, Weatherman. Kidd “grabbed you.’’ He tackled you, roundhoused kicked you, and then stole your lunch money. Really? (I'm still baffled by this: Does Al Roker not understand that ANYTHING KIDD MIGHT'VE DONE TO YOU IS LEGAL BECAUSE YOU CANNOT BE ON THE COURT!?)
What Kidd did was this: Record season-high-tying marks for assists and rebounds, notch his first triple-double of the year, and in the final 4:53 of regulation contribute four rebounds, three assists and one steal … oh, and in the final two minutes of regulation, he scored nine points.
“An all-time great performance,’’ Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said. "I've never seen a guy have this kind of impact on a game. You don't get winning streaks without special performances, like the one that Jason had. This was one for the ages. … "I don't know if there's ever been a smarter player in this league than Jason Kidd. There may be a few equals out there: Magic, Bird, Jordan."
“He made a heckuva play,’’ NBC weatherman Al Roker said. “He did what he had to do.’’
“The smartest basketball play I've ever in my career,’’ Terry said.
And John Hollinger’s take? Let’s go to it:

As near as anyone can tell, this was only the second time such a play had ever happened – the first coming when Milwaukee coach Del Harris collided with Denver guard Michael Adams in 1991. That play, however, happened because Harris walked on to the court to protest a call; Adams never intended to cross paths with him.
Really, I’m a Mavs writer who leads a charmed life, because as Hollinger is typing these words about Kidd bumping into a coach and referencing the only other time “as near as anyone can tell’’ a player did such a thing … and that it involved Del Harris. …
I am sitting next to Del Harris.
Del, last seen as a Nets assistant but now back in Frisco ready to re-up as a D-League team exec, has 50 years of experience with this sort of thing. And, Hollinger is referencing him. So. …Del?
“Well, it’s unusual, but the refs got it right; the coach cannot be out there,’’ Harris told me as we reviewed the replay together. “It’s not only smart by Jason. It’s gutsy. It takes confidence to know you are right to do it, to know that the refs will have to acknowledge that you’re right.
“It’s genius, really.’’
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2649
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #112
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Best game I've ever attended. Almost kicked a hawk fan's ass.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #113
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Not his right. The credit goes to the other guy.
No problem at all from me
Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #114
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Is it wrong that I consider this win more impressive than the one over the Lakers?

I mean...they were at home...it was the Lakers. Motivation + home court + embarrassment the last time they played LA + national television... all equaled an ass-load of motivation and a really nice win.

So I considered this to be an unavoidable letdown game that followed that big win. They were still without some guys...they were in a really tough building...I just didn't think they were going to get it done.

Once again...I'm impressed.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #115
dude1394
Guru

Certainly the hawks were not "bored" as the lakers will claim (possibly honestly).
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #116
CadBane
Banned

Orlando, Phoenix, LA, Atlanta.

How many of those do you think we win pre-trade?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #117
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Orlando, Phoenix, LA, Atlanta.

How many of those do you think we win pre-trade?
none of them...and I'm not tossing that out as shock value either. They weren't good enough with gooden.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #118
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

We may have beaten Phoenix.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 02-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #119
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Cross off Atlanta.

Chicago and Portland are the only two teams left the Mavs have yet to beat this season.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #120
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
none of them...and I'm not tossing that out as shock value either. They weren't good enough with gooden.
I'd say we beat Phoenix and MAYBE Orlando. We already beat Phoenix at home. And we always match-up well with Orlando. But with no Damp...I doubt we win. So 1-3 is my guess.

Tags
big nut bust, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!