Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 10:03 PM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarelooms View Post
Think gotta reset now. Try dump thj/and other bad contracts for someone like Westbrook. Need try get under cap h3ll and have some $ next few season. Horrible.
Dear god, no f**king thank you on Westbrook.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 PM   #2
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Same but he means as an expiring contract so we can have cap space next year. I have no faith in us using cap space for good players though and plus we just made the WCF losing Brunson doesn't make us a lottery team.

Last edited by JustJay; 06-28-2022 at 10:07 PM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would be awful for a year, but it would clear a lot of salary. And Cuban loves him some salary clearing.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:06 PM   #4
Amarelooms

Amarelooms is a jewel in the roughAmarelooms is a jewel in the roughAmarelooms is a jewel in the roughAmarelooms is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Rental one year. His contract up. We likely not good enough this coming year. Need be able shed salary so can get free agents.
Amarelooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #5
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Rental one year. His contract up. We likely not good enough this coming year. Need be able shed salary so can get free agents.
Plan powder worked out so well for us.

But I know we got Luka now, I'm not sure he's a big FA attraction though.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:12 PM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not even for a one year rental. Hard pass. And the Mavericks have never, ever, ever been a free agent destination. FFS, we can't even keep OUR OWN free agents. So deliberately blowing up our locker room to gamble in free agency is not a good plan.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:20 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not even for a one year rental. Hard pass. And the Mavericks have never, ever, ever been a free agent destination. FFS, we can't even keep OUR OWN free agents. So deliberately blowing up our locker room to gamble in free agency is not a good plan.
I mean are we really considering Tim Hardaway Jr as "blowing it up"?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:25 PM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I mean are we really considering Tim Hardaway Jr as "blowing it up"?
Losing THJ? No. Adding Westbrook? Yes. The dude is fucking cancer.

I consider that basically punting an entire season- sacrificing an entire year of Luka's career in the (ridiculous) hope that we can attract free agents in the future- because you know, the Mavs have such a great track record attracting free agents.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #9
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Losing THJ? No. Adding Westbrook? Yes. The dude is fucking cancer.

I consider that basically punting an entire season- sacrificing an entire year of Luka's career in the (ridiculous) hope that we can attract free agents in the future- because you know, the Mavs have such a great track record attracting free agents.
Well I mean we can't blame Nico and co. for this teams past sins because they weren't here for it. So we really don't know that this group can't bring in free agents.

But let's not kid ourselves here. Free agents go where the money is and where the relationship is. We've failed in the past because Dirk was our superstar and he wasn't in the "in" with the best players in the league. And Luka may be in the same boat but the Nico hiring was suppose to even things out a bit in regards to player relationship.

I'm not a big Westbrook fan myself...but if you're telling me for Powell and Hardway I could get Westbrook? I'd do it. But its more about trusting in Kidd than it is Westbrook. In regards to our talk earlier about Dragic...I think Westbrook actually offers some things in rebounding and defense and the ability to attack the paint that we don't have. He's getting the blame for the Lakers lack of success last year but it really wasn't his fault. He keeps getting in these piss poor situations with teams and now he has the reputation of a cancer.....
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:38 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Well I mean we can't blame Nico and co. for this teams past sins because they weren't here for it. So we really don't know that this group can't bring in free agents.

But let's not kid ourselves here. Free agents go where the money is and where the relationship is. We've failed in the past because Dirk was our superstar and he wasn't in the "in" with the best players in the league. And Luka may be in the same boat but the Nico hiring was suppose to even things out a bit in regards to player relationship.
I don't think it's any of those things. I think it's just the simple fact that there are three cities in all of America that NBA players actually want to go do, and Dallas isn't one of them. New York, LA, and Miami. I suppose you could add San Francisco/bay area to that list now because the Warriors are the glamor team of the current era. But that's it. No owner, GM, coach, or star player will ever change that.

Quote:
I'm not a big Westbrook fan myself...but if you're telling me for Powell and Hardway I could get Westbrook? I'd do it. But its more about trusting in Kidd than it is Westbrook. In regards to our talk earlier about Dragic...I think Westbrook actually offers some things in rebounding and defense and the ability to attack the paint that we don't have. He's getting the blame for the Lakers lack of success last year but it really wasn't his fault. He keeps getting in these piss poor situations with teams and now he has the reputation of a cancer.....
I dunno, I'll admit that I didn't watch that much of the Lakers last year, but I've watched most of his career, and the guy just doesn't get it. I'd rather take my chances with Dragic and whatever else we can find on the scrap heap.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:08 AM   #11
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The short term result would be so horrid you?re risking Luka asking out. Westbrook is that bad.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:12 AM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
The short term result would be so horrid you?re risking Luka asking out. Westbrook is that bad.
Exactly. And for what? The chance to chase more free agents? No thank you. I'll take Dragic and whatever else Nico can scrape together.

Meanwhile, let's all cross our fingers and hope that Hardy actually turns out to be a quality NBA shooting guard. And two a lesser extent, lets hope that Josh Green can become an NBA player at all.