Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default LeBron James' mother charged with DWI, other offenses

LeBron James' mother charged with DWI, other offenses

January 21, 2006

AKRON, Ohio (AP) -- LeBron James' mother was arrested for driving while intoxicated, disorderly conduct and other charges.

Gloria James was pulled over Friday night by two off-duty officers, who were working security for the Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority, said Akron Police Lt. Rick Edwards.

"I don't have all the info of what's going on," LeBron James said Saturday night before the Cleveland Cavaliers played the Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City. "Once I find that out and once I sit down with my family, you know, I'll be able to comment on it a little bit better."

The officers said Gloria James almost hit their unmarked car with her 2004 Cadillac Escalade, Edwards said.

The officers said the 37-year-old James smelled of alcohol and she appeared to be disoriented, Edwards said.

She struggled with police as they attempted to put handcuffs on her. They put her in the back seat of the housing authority car where she yelled obscenities at the officers, Edwards said.

"She kept leaning forward, screaming, hollering and carrying on," he said.

James was taken to a police station, where she refused to take breath or sobriety tests. She posted a $2,500 bond and was released after being charged with reckless operation, speeding for driving 50 mph in a 30-mph zone, operating a vehicle while intoxicated, disorderly conduct and damaging police equipment, Edwards said.

She is scheduled to appear in Akron Municipal Court on Monday.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is rather unfortunate.

Out of curiosity, I have a question.

If you can refuse to take a breathalyzer or sobriety test, then why would you volunteerily offer evidence against yourself by taking a breathalyzer?

I'm not sure if that question makes sense...its late. I guess what I'm wondering is why anyone who is intoxicated would agree to a breath test, when they have the right to refuse.

Or to ask another way, did LeBron James' mom hurt, or help her legal standing by refusing the breath test?

Last edited by mary; 01-22-2006 at 01:37 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
Lwin

Lwin is on a distinguished road
Default re

With my limited understanding of the law, if you take a breathalyzer test, you provide evidence for a jury to convict you of a DUI, and therefor a criminal conviction. If you refuse, your license is suspended for x amount of days (longer than if you were tested for above the legal limit), and you take some DUI class.
Lwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Well, this is rather unfortunate.

Out of curiosity, I have a question.

If you can refuse to take a breathalyzer or sobriety test, then why would you volunteerily offer evidence against yourself by taking a breathalyzer?

I'm not sure if that question makes sense...its late. I guess what I'm wondering is why anyone who is intoxicated would agree to a breath test, when they have the right to refuse.

Or to ask another way, did LeBron James' mom hurt, or help her legal standing by refusing the breath test?
May depend on the state, but I think that at least in some places the penalty for refusing to take a breathalyzer is the same as a conviction for DUI. It's as if "refusal" = "no contest".
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote