Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold
Default KG to Golden State talks heat up

Hammering out KG deal

Talks between Minnesota and Golden State about a trade that would send Kevin Garnett to the Bay Area are real and advanced, according to a person involved in the discussions. But it's too early to say whether No. 8 pick Brandan Wright, reigning "most improved player" Monta Ellis and an assortment of fat and/or expiring contracts will be enough. Wright can't be traded for 30 days because he signed his rookie contract Friday

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

...as predicted on this forum by the great and knowledgable Darth Ape (who is refining his self-congratulatory Mike Fisher impression)
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Key words in this post here "too early"

Funny about Fish though.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think Nellie would shut the hell up about wanting more money if they got KG, and come back to work?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Do you think Nellie would shut the hell up about wanting more money if they got KG, and come back to work?
no
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

GS might be able to make it work, but one of two things is true.

Either 1) Minn is extremely stupid and they take Foyle contract or
2) GS guts their team entirely giving up all the talent they have to get BDiddy and Garnett together without any other players with talent.

If GS trades Harrington, Jackson, Jasikevicious (expiring), Biedrins, and Ellis, and then offers the trade exception for a combination Blount, Madson, Hudson or Hassell --- they can get it done.

Problem for GS is that it leaves their team as BDiddy, Foyle, Belinelli, O'Bryant, Pietrus/Barnes, Wright, Garnett, and the combination they get from the TE, plus the MLE

* I didn't include Wright in the trade because that would take 60 days then, and they seem to think this is a done deal.

I don't think this GS team would be as good as the GS team last year. They would be "hands" tied just like Minn is. They would have 2 rookies in their top 8 players, and have to resign Pietrus and or Barnes.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

I am so sick of these KG rumors. I bet this guys doesn't go anywhere until the TD during the season.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

damnit
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

send him there.

Send him straight to GS.

I hope he enjoys whoever Nellie has running practices in March.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

it would take baron davis and al harrington to equal KG's salary.. this trade talks is only a rumor. Golden State's office isnt that stupid... At least I dont think they are
Player
Baron Davis 16m
Adonal Foyle 9m
Al HArrington 8.4m
Stephen Jackson 6.6
the rest are not worthy of mentioning. this trade is dead.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

You only have to match salaries within 25%. KG makes $22 mil, so Golden State only has to cough up about $17.6 mil to match. Foyle, Harrington and Ellis get that done. Plus the Warriors have that trade exception from the Richardson deal where they can just absorb one of Minnesota's undesireable contracts, like Troy Hudson, without having to give anyone back. That's instant cap relief for Minnesota.

I'm not saying a deal is going to happen, but it's definitely workable cap-wise.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Baron/Jackson/KG = yikes

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Brandon Wright - $2.3M
Jasikevicius - $4.0M
Ellis - $0.7M
Harrington - $8.4M
O'Bryant - $2.2M
Total: $17.6M

for

Garnett - $22M

17.6M / $22M = 80%

But it must wait until August 5th due to Brandon Wright's trade restriction.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Darth Ape
Banned

PG: Baron Davis
SG: Kelenna Azubuike
SF: Stephen Jackson
PF: Garnett
C: Andres Biedrens

Bench: Pietrus, Belleneli, Pierre Pierce, Kosta Perovic

... and that's without using thier mid-level exception or trading their trade exception for a $10M superstar.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have two questions:

Does anyone know how much KG's trade kicker is?

Does a trade kicker count in the salary base for meeting the 25 % requirement?

Thanks in advance.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

KG does have a trade kicker, which I forgot about, but I don't know how much it is. I do know that the acquiring team does have to include the TK in their calculations, but the sending team does not use the TK in their calculations.

EDIT: If I'm reading Larry Coon's CBA page right, the most that TK could be worth is 15% of the remaining value of his contract. Years after an ETO do not count, so in figuring out his TK it would be 15% of the $22 mil he will make next year, or $3.3 mil. That $3.3 mil would up his salary from the Warriors point of view to $25.3 mil, which backs out into $20.16 mil in salary the Warriors would need to send out.

Last edited by DelNegro; 07-10-2007 at 02:55 PM.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
PG: Baron Davis
SG: Kelenna Azubuike
SF: Stephen Jackson
PF: Garnett
C: Andres Biedrens

Bench: Pietrus, Belleneli, Pierre Pierce, Kosta Perovic

... and that's without using thier mid-level exception or trading their trade exception for a $10M superstar.
Wow! That's a scary roster.... and in the end Nellie will still not make the finals. Assuming he is still coaching of course....
Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

if i were minnesota id demand bellinelli with wright and ellis/#1
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Under Nellie's basketball philosophy, they will never win the NBA Finals fyi. =]

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-10-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Wright can't be traded for 30 days. The trade exception can't be apart of the equation. Every time KG almost goes to Phoenix or LA it doesn't happen. If you read about it. It won't happen.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #20
Darth Ape
Banned

My theory is that there's a reason Brandon Wright has been held out of summer league with a bizarre, previously undetected rotator cuff injury.

The trade exception can be traded to Minnesota. It just needs to be officially part of a separate trade..

Trade 1:
Harrington, Ellis, Wright and change for KG
Trade 2:
Trade Exception for Mark Madsen and Troy Hudson

Two seperate trades excecuted at the same time. It can happen.... but I don't even think the Warriors need to do that. Trade 1 should be enough to get Garnett. It works under the cap and is more attractive than anything else Minny is going to get.

Last edited by Darth Ape; 07-11-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Not really sure why mavs fans would spend so much time figuring out GS trade possibilities....
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #22
alby
Guru

Could you imagine the Warriors if this were to go down? sigh................

Contact Me
Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My theory is that there's a reason Brandon Wright has been held out of summer league with a bizarre, previously undetected rotator cuff injury.

The trade exception can be traded to Minnesota. It just needs to be officially part of a separate trade..

Trade 1:
Harrington, Ellis, Wright and change for KG
Trade 2:
Trade Exception for Mark Madsen and Troy Hudson

Two seperate trades excecuted at the same time. It can happen.... but I don't even think the Warriors need to do that. Trade 1 should be enough to get Garnett. It works under the cap and is more attractive than anything else Minny is going to get.
Problem with Trade 1 ---- CHANGE = Jackson, Foyle, or BDiddy. I will assume that BDiddy is going nowhere, Minn doesn't want Foyle, and I am guessing they don't want Jackson either. That means that you have to add Sarunas and Biedrins (expiring) to get there monetarily or you have to do a SNT of Barnes or Pietrus.

If GS does move Harrington, Ellis, Wright, Biedrins, and say SNT Pietrus to Minn for Garnett -- they would be left with what for KG to play with?
BDiddy, Jackson, Barnes, Garnett, Foyle with Madsen, Hudson, OBryant, Sarunas, and Belinelli on the bench is not a championship type club, IMO.

You have to totally GUT that team to get KG or get Minn to accept Foyle.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #24
Darth Ape
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Problem with Trade 1 ---- CHANGE = Jackson, Foyle, or BDiddy. I will assume that BDiddy is going nowhere, Minn doesn't want Foyle, and I am guessing they don't want Jackson either. That means that you have to add Sarunas and Biedrins (expiring) to get there monetarily or you have to do a SNT of Barnes or Pietrus.

If GS does move Harrington, Ellis, Wright, Biedrins, and say SNT Pietrus to Minn for Garnett -- they would be left with what for KG to play with?
BDiddy, Jackson, Barnes, Garnett, Foyle with Madsen, Hudson, OBryant, Sarunas, and Belinelli on the bench is not a championship type club, IMO.

You have to totally GUT that team to get KG or get Minn to accept Foyle.
nah. Change could equal Sarunas and O'Bryant.. see my previous trade proposal

Monta Ellis, Harrington, O'Byrant, Brandon Wright... that's 4 pretty bright prospects right there. Sarunas is also very well thought of by some in the league. It provides Minnesota with cap relief as Sarunas comes off the books next year. In my opinion, Golden State wouldn't even need to include the trade exception. The deal is already a windfall for Minnesota. But if needed... no big deal.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #25
Darth Ape
Banned

..forgot about Matt Barnes. Sign and trade is always a possibility.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #26
alby
Guru

They would have Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Andris Biedrins, and others to team up with KG--scary

Contact Me
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #27
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
nah. Change could equal Sarunas and O'Bryant.. see my previous trade proposal
I wouldn't take it if I were Minn., but with Minn who knows.

Quote:
Monta Ellis, Harrington, O'Byrant, Brandon Wright... that's 4 pretty bright prospects right there. Sarunas is also very well thought of by some in the league. It provides Minnesota with cap relief as Sarunas comes off the books next year. In my opinion, Golden State wouldn't even need to include the trade exception. The deal is already a windfall for Minnesota. But if needed... no big deal.
Sarunas -- 32 and let's face it, only an expiring contract.
Monta Ellis, I like, good addition. No where close to an all-star though.
Harrington has nine years in the league already and 27. Not an all-star in the West.
Brandon Wright, unknown rookie.
O'Bryant -- Couldn't make GS active team, on a team dying for size, played only 16 gms and avg less than 2pts game.

This is the best option they could get for Kevin Garnett ? ? ? I must value him a little higher than you do.

Dallas offer, IF I were Mark.

Josh Howard (27) -- All-star in the West.
Diop -- young 7' who has played for the championship and is still 25.
Terry or Damp or Ager or Bucknor -- which ever they prefer or none.
SNT for a 1 year of Cro or KVH whichever I could get to do the SNT.
N. Fazekas -- draft rights since he hasn't been signed yet.
Dallas pick up the TK.
$3M
Next years 1st rounder

Yea, I guess Bright prospects are in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #28
Darth Ape
Banned

in related news... Pietrus may be on the block.

Though Ron Artest's agent said Artest would have welcomed a trade to the Heat (among other places), the Kings now say they plan to keep him. . . . Happy Walters, the agent for Golden State restricted free agent Mickael Pietrus, said the Heat's Randy Pfund told him he plans to contact the Warriors about a potential sign-and-trade for the 6-6, multiskilled, 25-year-old small forward.

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/166777.html
Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #29
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

In other related news, all of Darth Ass' last ten reps came from chumdawg.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #30
alby
Guru

I gave him reps too. GS has the pieces to get KG without giving up Baron. To me, that is scary--just another team that is better than the Mavs imo.
The bright thing about him going to GS is that it means he didn't land in LA or Phoenix.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-12-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #31
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
In other related news, all of Darth Ass' last ten reps came from chumdawg.
I gave him good rep for his impressive Mike Fisher impersonation.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote