Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #41
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, not that I would put the Mavs near the top, but dang...borderline playoff team...really?

I'm tagging this puppy so we call laugh at these fools later on.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 10-23-2008 at 01:49 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #42
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

my reaction to the article... who cares?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 10-23-2008 at 03:12 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #43
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

And the naysayers cast the first stone once again...to these fish monger fools , I say Impossible is nothing. To these Benedict Arnolds I say.....BRING IT ON M'FERS!!!!!!! pardon my language moderators..

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:01 AM   #44
GMFFDHT

GMFFDHT is on a distinguished road

I don't think the team looks that bad this season. There are some guys of the bench that are or could be (green.....) more important, and starters look good to (if Josh plays his heart out this season - everything is good). And don't forget: if the west works like last year, there will be only some wins between 3rd and 9th seed.

My prediction: 4-7 and then it's up to how you match up in the playoffs. There will be more upsets of higher seeded teams. Anything can happen. Remember the 67 wins: there were so many close games we won - could have been 60 or 55 wins as well. The Team wasn't that much better then - and is not that bad now.

From my standpoint the seeding sytem has to be changed. Blow the whole thing up - it's not fair. Not within a conference (why prefer a division winner if his winning percentage is bad) or between the conferences. But if you still want to keep the conferences - let at least play the 1st seed of the west the 8th of the east and vice versa.
Probably my thinking is to european and I don't feel the history of having these Divisions and conferences - but why let crappy teams play in the playoffs (even if it's only one round) - when others have to sit and watch only because they are in the wrong Conference.
GMFFDHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #45
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

This is perfect, we will be under the radar for quite a while. Even when we are doing well, the jackarses that make all these predictions will be safe until the playoffs. They will say "yeah they surprised everyone with a solid season but this is the same team that collapsed in the playoffs for the last 3 years."blah blah. We have a long wait to stick em but it will be well worth it!

The Suns and Nuggets would not surprise me to miss the playoffs.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #46
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be absolutely stunned if the Nuggets are even in the running for the last playoff spot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #47
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

..Barring some sort of trade.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #48
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about
Default Thanks, Dude!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
F'em...
Couldn't say it any better...

Still don't trust the league though...

Last edited by GermanBlitzkrieg; 10-23-2008 at 10:36 AM.
GermanBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #49
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

I welcome the low expectations. These are about the lowest they can realistically be. It reminds me of what Pop or Belichick always do to make sure their guys don't slack off and to make the opponent overconfident.

I guess its possible that we could scrape into the playoffs near the bottom, but most of these guys are just taking the 1-8 seeds of last year and leaving them at about that point. Brilliant!
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #50
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Kidd's at his best when the expectations are low.....01-02 Nets.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #51
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Damn... why is Marc Stein the only one with some sense???

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #52
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
just re-read chris sheridan's splurge of intelligence again. The "although" doesn't even make any sense. That would make sense if he was going to compliment the mavs maybe... What a moron.
It just shows how the standards of journalism have gone way down. The Although conjunction is English 101, 7th grade type shyt.

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #53
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Well last year I remember everyone on ESPN had us in the top 3, and we finished 7th. let us hope this time it flips
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #54
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post

Marc Stein - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 6 Just a thought: If they won 51 games last season when everyone in Mavsland was so unhappy, should we hold off on all those obituaries until we see how the Mavs look (and feel) under Carlisle?
I agree with this one. In fact, I predict we beat all of these predictions. I think we can be as good as anybody

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #55
The Franchise
Banned

The Franchise is infamous around these partsThe Franchise is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
J.A. Adande - SOUTHWEST: 3 | WEST: 8 Would feel better about having Jason Kidd around for a full season if he hadn't looked so average during the Olympics. Rick Carlisle has a tough job changing the mentality of a team that has folded in its past three playoff series.

Jon Barry - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 7 Time for this team to be broken up. It's not the right mix since the 2006 Finals meltdown. Just not a championship-quality team. Maybe they'll deal Howard if they get off to a slow start. Don't be surprised if Cuban mixes it up.

Chris Broussard - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 8 The Mavs are younger than the Suns, but the story lines are the same: Like the Kings of C-Webb, Bibby & Co., they missed their opportunity for a ring. Carlisle's newness will have them all saying it's not the same ol' song. But it is.

Ric Bucher - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 8 Biggest challenge of Rick Carlisle's career. He'll get more out of Jason Kidd, but this team needs a major overhaul. The psychological scar of the 2006 collapse is still visible.

Chad Ford - SOUTHWEST:4 | WEST: 8 The Mavs' problem is that they didn't make that significant infusion of youth to an aging franchise -- they went opposite. The trade of Devin Harris and two first-round picks for Jason Kidd will haunt them for the next five years.

Jemele Hill - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 8 Dirk Nowitzki is a franchise player who is unable to be a closer. The Mavericks have been sliding backward since going to the 2006 NBA Finals. This might be the year they don't make the postseason.

John Hollinger - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 7 The Jason Kidd panic trade likely ended their title-contending days, but any team lining up Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard at the forward spots should at least make the playoffs, especially given new coach Rick Carlisle's track record.

Jalen Rose - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 9 It will be very important for this team to get off to a fast start. Especially with so many changes made and distractions this offseason. They will be led by Nowitzki, Kidd and Howard. Rick Carlisle has proven to be a great coach.

Chris Sheridan - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 9 Although owner Mark Cuban tries to subcategorize all of ESPN's talent by what he sees as their respective shticks, we'll categorize his team as what it is: a mediocre assemblage of talent whose long-term hopes were ruined by the Jason Kidd deal.

Marc Stein - SOUTHWEST: 4 | WEST: 6 Just a thought: If they won 51 games last season when everyone in Mavsland was so unhappy, should we hold off on all those obituaries until we see how the Mavs look (and feel) under Carlisle?
Dallas Mavericks 2008-2009 NBA Champions!!!!
The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #56
The Franchise
Banned

The Franchise is infamous around these partsThe Franchise is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I agree with this one. In fact, I predict we beat all of these predictions. I think we can be as good as anybody
Look buddy. If you're going to post at DallasMavs.com stay off the drugs.
The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #57
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

After hitting the midway point of the season, here are my predictions (barring any major trades and/or injuries):

Mavs 51-31.
6th seed in the West.

LA
SA
NO
Den
Pho
Dal
Hou
Port

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #58
Willstar

Willstar is on a distinguished road

the experts may have been right.

Willstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #59
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Very courageous of you to pick PHO to finish 5th at this point, as they look like Doney Donerton these last few games.

Last edited by Dim499; 01-25-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #60
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't that difficult to peg where the Mavs would fall, people around here just have too high of expectations (leave the unrealistic optimism for the players).

And I'm still pretty sure Hill has no f'en clue who Dirk Nowitzki is, did she even watch the 2006 playoffs or just the finals?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #61
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
After hitting the midway point of the season, here are my predictions (barring any major trades and/or injuries):

Mavs 51-31.
6th seed in the West.

LA
SA
NO
Den
Pho
Dal
Hou
Port
Phoenix 5th in the West? Wow. I've completely lost faith in Phoenix, and I sincerely doubt they will be anything more than an 8th seed if they make the playoffs.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #62
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Wow, not that I would put the Mavs near the top, but dang...borderline playoff team...really?

I'm tagging this puppy so we call laugh at these fools later on.

Screw me.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #63
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

^^Still laughing, have to spread some rep.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #64
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I see us finishing with 47 wins as presently constructed.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #65
ghazi
Platinum Member

Make that 45.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #66
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Hell, who knows. I guess a Micheal Redd trade is out of the question now...

Last edited by craggmac; 01-25-2009 at 05:59 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #67
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

I agree with Utah being the team that doesn't make the play offs. Too many injuries, and only bad things can come from this Boozer drama.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
espn bullcrap, magic 8-ball says "wat", predictions, wat