Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Could the Mavs...

Clinch the playoffs before winning 50 games?

I believe the magic number is 6 for clinching the playoffs...Denver is the 8th seed with 26 wins and the Mavs have 46...I believe there are 26 games left +/-

With that in mind and the magic number around 6, could the Mavs clinch a spot with less than 50 wins recorded, this early in the season?

If so, will this be the earliest that any Mavs team in History has clinched a playoff spot?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The formula is 83 - (our wins) - (their losses). If the magic number reaches zero, then our team beats out their team no matter what happens next.

To clinch a playoff spot, we have to beat out seven of the other 14 teams in the West. Seven (actually eight, two are tied at 29) teams have 29 losses or more, so the magic number is 83 - 46 - 29 = 8.

Of course, lots of teams clinch playoff spots before winning 50 games. Heck, many teams clinch playoff spots without winning 50 games at all. That's because opponent's loss totals are enough to compensate.

Earlier in the season, loss totals are fewer, so in order to clinch playoff berths early on, win totals must be higher. In other words, it would be impressive for the Mavs to not clinch a playoff spot until they have MORE than 50 wins. You have it backwards.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 02-26-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Not backwards...just a bit misunderstood...

Let me try the question a little differently...

Could the Mavs clinche a playoff spot before the play 60 games?

46-9 = 55 games...with the magic number being stated being 8, Could the Mavs actually officially clinche the playoffs before reaching game 60?

Trust me, I and all of us expect and want more...but to me it's interesting to see how far this organization has come...from barely winning 10 games a season to clinching the playoffs with over 20 games to be played!!!

I am simply enjoying the ride and I believe we will it all this year...heck I thought we would win it all last year and we nearly did...with last years loss, this team is destined to win and quite possibly win for a few years...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
ballin_boi
Banned

ballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the rough

how is clinching a spot before 60 games supposedly more difficult than clinching one before 50 games?
ballin_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
bdsterne

bdsterne is on a distinguished road

I think the first time he meant 50 wins not games.
bdsterne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter