Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Dirk shows how the Mavs have changed

In watching last nights game and today's lovefest with Lebron, little if anything has been mentioned about the Mavs and how they have changed.

To me one play defines the Mavs under Avery Johnson, and it was done by Dirk!!! By the way, it was a physical defensive play.

That's right Dirk with Physical Defense!!!

Late in the game with the Cavaliers on a roll and trying to get the tie for overtime or potentially take over the game, LeBron was running in for an easy lay-up, when Dirk fouled him hard and put him into the seats. LeBron went on to miss two free-throws and ultimately two clutch 3 point opportunities.

Instead of praising the greatness of LeBron, what about the greatness of Dirk who basically took LeBron out!!! It was crunch time and it was Dirk who came through on the DEFENSIVE end of the floor. It was the right time for the right foul and it wasn't soft...

Anybody else here see the significance of the Mavs winning thanks to Dirk's "D"?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was very appreciative of Dirk's hard foul at the end.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
In watching last nights game and today's lovefest with Lebron, little if anything has been mentioned about the Mavs and how they have changed.

To me one play defines the Mavs under Avery Johnson, and it was done by Dirk!!! By the way, it was a physical defensive play.

That's right Dirk with Physical Defense!!!

Late in the game with the Cavaliers on a roll and trying to get the tie for overtime or potentially take over the game, LeBron was running in for an easy lay-up, when Dirk fouled him hard and put him into the seats. LeBron went on to miss two free-throws and ultimately two clutch 3 point opportunities.

Instead of praising the greatness of LeBron, what about the greatness of Dirk who basically took LeBron out!!! It was crunch time and it was Dirk who came through on the DEFENSIVE end of the floor. It was the right time for the right foul and it wasn't soft...

Anybody else here see the significance of the Mavs winning thanks to Dirk's "D"?
Of course not every east coast media person saw it that way. And had to point it out, of course. Anyone see the replay?
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...02/Blame_James

Quote:
Dirk committed the foul and LeBron went crashing into the baseline cameras, hurting himself in the process. (Meanwhile, the announcers praised Dirk’s “good foul” for making sure LeBron didn’t score, but the replay showed Dirk just kinda swiped at him.)
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to go back an watch it. I only saw it once, but it was at least a hard enough foul to keep him from getting a lay-up.

Also wasn't it Dirk that allowed the "and one" on the previous possession??

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it was a "hard" foul after seeing it again. It was the appropriate foul for the situation.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk has some Karl Malone defense in him. He swipes for the steal like Malone did, rather than go for the block a lot of times. Now Dirk has a little Malone physique in him too.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk has been clutch defensively quite a few times this season.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Dirk has some Karl Malone defense in him. He swipes for the steal like Malone did, rather than go for the block a lot of times. Now Dirk has a little Malone physique in him too.
I have seen a lot of Mavs use that foul this year. I think they have been taught it. Basically, they just go for the arms hard when the arms are going up. As soon as the dribble stops and the two hands take the ball, that is the time that Dirk's tomahawk chop downwards is coming across both (or at least one) arm. The ball and the arms never get up above chest level. There is no way the ball has any chance whatsoever of going to the hoop.
Now, on this particular foul, Dirk was moving towards Lebron and Lebron was closing in towards Dirk so that they slammed into each other as well. And, as Lebron was going airborn and Dirk was firmly on the ground, Lebron went flying out of bounds and Dirk went no where.
I don't think Dirk tried to hurt Lebron or make a statement. I think Dirk just went for the sure foul/denial of a shot.
Anyway, the results were excellent since Lebron was obviously shook up and missed his next 4 shots (two FT's and two 3 pointers).

Anyway, the Mavs frequently use that foul when they decide to just deny the shot and accept the foul.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, the Mavs have changed. I can't say it better than the Cav's coach Mike Brown (quote from a Mike Fisher column) Cavs coach Mike Brown, who watched his team rally from 14 points down in the fourth quarter before falling short, broke it down in more detail. "You can see how night-in and night-out they just find a way to win,'' he said. "You can see it in their faces. They believe in it, they believe in it all the time and they expect to win. This team has that will. They're a bunch of good guys who know what it takes to win a game. You can feel it. You can feel it from afar".

Now if just some of those critics had to sit where Mike Brown sat, they might realize just what we have in our Mavs!!!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

And they have changed in toughness. This DBC blog is interesting.

BLOGFISH

Shootaround: Is Dirk Dinged?

Is Dirk dinged?

Maybe coach Avery Johnson is being coy. Maybe he's playing stupid. Maybe be's borrowing from the NHL, where for purposes of deception a shoulder injury can be officially announced as a leg injury. (Come to think of it, maybe Dwyane Wade already imported that trick from hockey.) Or maybe -- as DB.com discussed exclusively with Avery in a one-on-one visit after Saturday's shootaround -- the coach has constructed a Mavs team so physically and mentally resilient that injuries barely register.

Officially, according to Avery and the Mavs, Dirk Nowitzki doesn't HAVE an injury. That's the company line, and AJ tossed that line to me until I pressed.

"You know, maybe it is kind of a thigh bruise,'' Avery finally conceded.

Bingo! We have a winner.

Without a doubt, The UberMan moved around gingerly, deliberately, in the Thursday win over Cleveland. Contributor Franz notes that when Dirk re-entered that game in the second quarter, he did so only after removing a wrap from his upper leg, and that when he attempted to leave the bench to re-enter in the fourth, there was nearly a delay-of-game call because he was busy undressing himself from the same wrap.

And during that huge fourth, didn't Dirk grimace and reach for his upper right thigh while trying to knee-bend away the stiffness?

On Saturday, Dirk participated in the shootaround with no apparent problem. Of course, so did Josh Howard, despite his gimp ankle. And heck, Devean George was even out there, bouncing around gamely on his I-listed knee.

So maybe Dirk's fine. Maybe a painful thigh bruise isn't worth reporting (though we're surprised the mainstream media doesn't muscle up with 24-hour coverage of the leading MVP candidate on a team winning at a historic pace). Or maybe this team is so made in Avery's image that guys would almost be afraid to discuss something as "silly'' as a thigh bruise.

For the record, I've got an appointment to visit with Dirk one-on-one after the Orlando game tonight. I've already promised myself to remain lucid and sober.

And for the record, this is all on Avery. I tried and tried to give him credit for creating a team that used to be Soft White Boyz and is now, as he says, "full of warriors. Dirk's a warrior. They're all warriors.'' But he wouldn't buy it.

"It's not me, it's them,'' he said. "Stack does that. We brought in Devean to do it. Damp does it. Devin Harris takes charges. Josh is a tough guy. They all do it.''

Including Dirk. Who isn't injured -- just hurt.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter