Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #41
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
After watching the game twice today, I would be so pissed if I was Kobe Bryant playing on that team.
was there any updated info on the Kobe drama during the game?
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #42
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
LA vs Utah:

Kobe Bryant played 28 minutes and scored a team-high 15 points on 4-for-16 shooting - including an airball from the top of the 3-point arc with 1:52 left in the third and Los Angeles trailing 72-54. The two-time defending NBA scoring champ missed his first eight field goal attempts before ending the drought on a 16-footer with 4:08 left in the first half. He sat out the fourth quarter.

[I love throwing rocks at hornets nests...]

great...way to go!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #43
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

At the end of the day, I have always stated that Kobe is simply overrated.

He is not even in the same league with Scottie Pippen, whom I also felt was overrated.

Kobe road the coattails of Shaq...and he broke that dynasty up.

To boot, he plays virtually the same area of the court that Dirk plays, which combined would cause this team to drop in the standings and ultimately bow out in the playoffs.

The keys to this team is the continued development of Howard and Harris, whom have already bonded and formed a working/playing tandem with Dirk.

If anything, we should look to Howard to step it up in the 4th quarter of games.

Kobe would simply be a waste of time and we would see this team and organization get torn apart...I would say that Kobe to the NBA is what Alex Rodriguez is the MLB.

Both are overrated, selfish individuals who think themselves above the team.

Again, I don't like the guy and I don't want him in Dallas...I would not trade either of our former "French" players for Kobe!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #44
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Kobe, overrated? the man scored 81 points in one game last year. sure, he may have an ego and you can hate the guy for it, i can see why someone might, but he IS the best player in the NBA right now. to say anything less than that about his game is just absurd.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:41 AM   #45
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

I hate Kobe, but this blind overrated talk is ridiculous. The guys numbers speak for themselves.

If you hate Kobe because he's a jerk then say so. Don't invent these bogus overrated reasons to justify it.

I'll say it. I hate Kobe because he's kind of a jerk. He's probably the best player in the NBA, but he's a jerk and I'd rather lose without him than win with him

That said, if they get him, I'm not going to complain. As long as the Mavs keep Dirk, you almost have to make that trade. It's Kobe. Get real guys. Just root for Dirk and put up with Kobe as best you can.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #46
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
To boot, he plays virtually the same area of the court that Dirk plays

why do people keep saying this? it sounds like you're expecting them to always go to the right wing and trip over each other's feet...

how is kobe's position on the court any different than josh's? Josh drives the lane, shoots the 3, shoots the mid-range jumper. So by your criteria, josh and dirk play in the same area as well. The only difference is that kobe is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better at every skill set than josh. I like howard, but kobe is a very obvious upgrade.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-25-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #47
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Kobe is the best player on a bad team and acts like he is the best player of all time.

You can put up all the numbers you want, the guy doesn't win with his team. He is not a TEAM player and I don't want him anywhere near our Mavs.

He should go play for the Globetrotters, his showboating would be entertaining with them...or perhaps see if he can make an And 1 team???

As for the NBA, he's Stern Hype that is being forced down the throats of NBA Fans. He's like CNN and Liberal biased news...it's not real, but it sure looks good, until you look at reality and we realize we got taken.

Say NO to Kobe!!!

What's wrong with liking what we have better?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #48
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

the guy has averaged over 4.5 assists per game for his career, with his highest season being 6 per game (and that was the year after Shaq left)

In 05-06, he still averaged 4.5 assists, even while scoring 35 per game (27 attempts per game). With a weak supporting cast.

Last year, he was down to 22 attempts per game, but still scored 31 per game and dished out about 5 and half assists per game. still with a weak supporting cast.

I think he can be a team player and try to get others involved.

92bDad, have you ever actually seen kobe play? I would assume you have because he certainly gets lots of airtime. but comparing him to the globetrotters or And1 team seems to point that you haven't. Yes, the guy scores a lot, but i honestly wouldn't call Kobe a showboater. he doesn't go out of his way to make things flashier or difficult. the guy always plays hard.

As for not winning with his team, the guy has nobody around him. Odom is a homeless man's version of Dirk. If Dirk and Kobe played together, there's no doubt we would win games.

Do i think he's a jerk? of course i do. But not enough of one that i wouldn't want him anywhere near this team.

And do i like our current team? of course. But i'm also not naive enough to think that we wouldn't be better with Kobe (assuming we don't trade Dirk, which would make no sense)

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-25-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kobe is the best player on a bad team and acts like he is the best player of all time.

You can put up all the numbers you want, the guy doesn't win with his team. He is not a TEAM player and I don't want him anywhere near our Mavs.

He should go play for the Globetrotters, his showboating would be entertaining with them...or perhaps see if he can make an And 1 team???

As for the NBA, he's Stern Hype that is being forced down the throats of NBA Fans. He's like CNN and Liberal biased news...it's not real, but it sure looks good, until you look at reality and we realize we got taken.

Say NO to Kobe!!!

I just can't take it. Do people really believe this?

Stern hype?

People said the same things about Jordan before he got a supporting cast. Unfortunately for Kobe his career took the exact opposite arc. He's already had his success, now he's playing on a bad team, and people look for any excuse to discount him.

I'm honestly tired of making posts like this, because I can't stand the guy, but good God people, he's arguably the best player in basketball. This idea that he's Allen Iverson and can't cooexist with a legitimate team/teammate because he won't share the ball is utterly ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #50
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Say NO to Kobe!!!

I've said this in every Kobe thread thus far:

If you watched FIBA USA basketball this summer, you would understand the kind of competitor that Kobe is. You would see how great of a team player he is.

I never knew that excellent defensive prowess could be seen as "individual", "selfish", or "non-team". The man is one of the best shut down defenders in the league. I don't think that should be overlooked.

The fact is, and I repeat many posters' comments here: Kobe is arguably the best/most talented player in the league.

Not only that, but he is on of the most respected players around the league. Once again, this was seen in both FIBA practices and games this summer--time and time again. He wasn't the leading scorer of every game, but every player on that team respected and looked up to him. If you don't believe it, then do some research for yourself. Not hard to watch some nba.com videos on Kobe/FIBA from this summer...

Truth-- Kobe isn't an overated player. Rather, you are under-rating him. =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
mavsgirl56

mavsgirl56 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsgirl56 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsgirl56 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I've said this in every Kobe thread thus far:

If you watched FIBA USA basketball this summer, you would understand the kind of competitor that Kobe is. You would see how great of a team player he is.

I never knew that excellent defensive prowess could be seen as "individual", "selfish", or "non-team". The man is one of the best shut down defenders in the league. I don't think that should be overlooked.

The fact is, and I repeat many posters' comments here: Kobe is arguably the best/most talented player in the league.

Not only that, but he is on of the most respected players around the league. Once again, this was seen in both FIBA practices and games this summer--time and time again. He wasn't the leading scorer of every game, but every player on that team respected and looked up to him. If you don't believe it, then do some research for yourself. Not hard to watch some nba.com videos on Kobe/FIBA from this summer...

Truth-- Kobe isn't an overated player. Rather, you are under-rating him. =/
The point is Kobe only plays team ball in FIBA. He does not play team ball in the NBA. It doesn't make one bit of difference how well he played this summer. The MAVS aren't a FIBA team, neither are the Lakers. Bringing Kobe (or KoME as I like to call him) would be a terrrible mistake for the Mavs. You cannot point to how well he played this summer when he's proven time and time again that he doesn't play that way in the NBA.
mavsgirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #52
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsgirl56
The point is Kobe only plays team ball in FIBA. He does not play team ball in the NBA. It doesn't make one bit of difference how well he played this summer. The MAVS aren't a FIBA team, neither are the Lakers. Bringing Kobe (or KoME as I like to call him) would be a terrrible mistake for the Mavs. You cannot point to how well he played this summer when he's proven time and time again that he doesn't play that way in the NBA.
You can't make assumptions like that. The Lakers are not a talented team. The Mavericks on the other hand are. Our bench can compete with the Lakers starting 5 minus Kobe.

The man is blamed for not producing when he passes off to teammates, but then bashed for being a "ball-hog" when he takes too many shots.

The fact is, his teammates love him. His teammates think he is a wonderful team player. And I can guarantee you, they'd rather have him stay in LA than go to another team.

Find me any teammates on the current Lakers roster that bash Kobe as a teammate/team player. Do it and I won't argue this point anymore. Btw, good luck with that...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #53
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
the guy has averaged over 4.5 assists per game for his career, with his highest season being 6 per game (and that was the year after Shaq left)

In 05-06, he still averaged 4.5 assists, even while scoring 35 per game (27 attempts per game). With a weak supporting cast.

Last year, he was down to 22 attempts per game, but still scored 31 per game and dished out about 5 and half assists per game. still with a weak supporting cast.

I think he can be a team player and try to get others involved.
Props.

These are solid stats people. There's no point in letting media fluff distort your view on Kobe as a teamplayer.

The fact that he couldn't get along with Shaq does not make him a bad teammate.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #54
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter how he plays if this discussion is in anyway a function of how he would then fit in Dallas. Because he isn't coming to Dallas. There isn't one shred of evidence that he's coming to Dallas, while there are plenty of people writing about Chicago next spring. You can talk about how Kobe would fit here until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't stinking matter. Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter. Why people love talking so much about hypotheticals and dreams is absolutely beyond me. I simply cannot understand it.

Ok that's it...I'm done. I promise, I'll stop replying to these threads.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #55
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

2007/2008 Mavs roster:

Damp/Diop/DJ
Dirk/Bass/Faz
Josh/George/Ager
Jones/Stack/Hassell
Devin/Terry/JJB

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #56
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of you miss the point on Kobe. It is not about Kobe's play being selfish or not. That isn't the question. It is not about his overall play -- he is obviously extremely talented and as others have said "arguably" the best player in the league today. The question isn't if Dirk and Kobe can play together.

The Big question is "could Avery coach Kobe into the Mavs team?"

Why did the fLakers hire JacZen? Not because he was such a great coach (even though he is), but because he had proven that he could take players (MJ and Pippen) and get them to play up to their potential for the betterment of the team. JacZen did that with Kobe and Shaq to the tune of three championships. He did it with Pippen/MJ to the tune of 6.

Could Avery do that with Kobe and Dirk? Dirk isn't as big of an obstacle as Shaq, IMO, but I don't know if Avery could handle Kobe -- maybe yes, maybe no. Would Kobe run the play that Avery called late in the game, if it was a Dirk ISO? I don't know if Avery is the coach for Kobe, but if he is, then Dirk/Kobe could possibly be better than MJ/Pippen, IMO.

Personally I think Kobe has realized that he only has a few years left in his prime, say maybe 5, and if he wants his legacy to go down as possibly the best ever, he needs to get to a team that is close, and then put them over the top, and win 3-6 more championships. He is several years away from having a team in LA that can do that. He just doesn't have the supporting cast.

Could Dirk/Kobe win multiple championships while Lebron, Dwade/Shaq, Yao/Tmac, Carmello/AI, Kidd/Carter, Nash/Matrix/Stoudamire, TD/Ginobili/Parker, Okafor/Wallace/Richardson are all in the waiting as well as Bosh, Oden, DHoward, and Durant all coming up the pipe? This isn't to mention that Allen/Pierce/Garnett are an obstacle for a few years. What about the team play of Utah - can they find that SG to go with Deron/Boozer/AK/Okur --- a nasty SG and a better defensive center would make them hard to beat?

I'm not sure, but Kobe doesn't have much of a chance if he doesn't get to a place where he is playing with another star.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #57
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
It doesn't matter how he plays if this discussion is in anyway a function of how he would then fit in Dallas. Because he isn't coming to Dallas. There isn't one shred of evidence that he's coming to Dallas, while there are plenty of people writing about Chicago next spring. You can talk about how Kobe would fit here until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't stinking matter. Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter. Why people love talking so much about hypotheticals and dreams is absolutely beyond me. I simply cannot understand it.

Ok that's it...I'm done. I promise, I'll stop replying to these threads.
Forum = discussion.

Dreams/hypotheticals = much discussion.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #58
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Props.

These are solid stats people. There's no point in letting media fluff distort your view on Kobe as a teamplayer.

The fact that he couldn't get along with Shaq does not make him a bad teammate.
how come you didn't give me props for my stats? =]

...in the other kobe threads

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 10-25-2007 at 04:37 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #59
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsgirl56
If your backcourt mates were Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, and Smush Parker..you would shoot 1,000,000 times. Then if you saw Chris Mihm, Ronnie Turiaf, Kwame Brown, and Andrew Bynum under the basket you would shoot another 1,000,000 times. The other 1,000,000 shots go to Brian "Black Hole" Cook and Lamar Odom (who definitely needs the ball in his hands to do damage).

However, Luke Walton owns. That guy is a great all-around player.

(My math on the number of shots taken could be a little off.)

--titus..how are my stats? q=D

Last edited by nikeball; 10-26-2007 at 02:36 PM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #60
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

they dont need kobe!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #61
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

hey nikeball - Bynum doesn't belong in your mini-rant. The rest, maybe - but I think the Lakes are right to hold onto Bynum.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #62
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

They may be right to hold on Bynum now, especially if they lose Kobe. But choosing a 19 year old kid over a Jermaine Oneal or a Jason Kidd was a terrible decision last year IMO because your superstar is in his prime now, not 5 years from now.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter