Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Cool reads...regardless of beliefs

We all read various books and I just had a few books come in from Amazon...I was wondering if others here could post some books that they have enjoyed, Conservative or Liberal?

Here's what just came in to my office:

"The Conservative's Handbook" - Phil Valentine
"48 Liberal Lies About American History" - Larry Schweikart
"Black Belt Patriotism" (How to reawaken America) - Chuck Norris
"Dare to Prepare" (How to Win before you Begin!) - Ronald M. Shapiro

Looks like I'll get some good reading in over the next few weeks, obviously my taste aint for everyone...so what books are you currently reading?

I'm looking forward to build my library and read what others are reading, it should help with our mini-forum debates.

Maybe Mavdog and I can start up a book swapping club to help us understand the opposing view point...Kinda like back when they had the two guys in Dallas, Bob Ray Sanders and ??? I think they used to be on KLIF back in the late 90's or something like that.

Until next time...I'll be crackin the books
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
"The Conservative's Handbook" - Phil Valentine
"48 Liberal Lies About American History" - Larry Schweikart
"Black Belt Patriotism" (How to reawaken America) - Chuck Norris
"Dare to Prepare" (How to Win before you Begin!) - Ronald M. Shapiro
How can you consider these "cool reads...regardless of beliefs" when these books very clearly take aim at a specific set of beliefs???

A title like "cool reads for right-wing tools" would have been a better fit (except for the Chuck Norris book - I'm sure that's literary genius...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-31-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
How can you consider these "cool reads...regardless of beliefs" when these books very clearly take aim at a specific set of beliefs???

A title like "cool reads for right-wing tools" would have been a better fit (except for the Chuck Norris book - I'm sure that's literary genius...)
What a tool you are...the concept of the title of the thread is for others to post books that they are reading and recommend...thus it doesn't matter what your political leanings are.

With that in mind, what books are you currently reading?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
With that in mind, what books are you currently reading?

What books are you currently reading? Favorite Books? Discuss

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-31-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
92bDad
Platinum Member

I'm out...time to read through the books, until tomorrow have a great night on planet Krypton.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Schwiekart is hardly a good read. It's just a collection of straw men. People don't make the majority of the arguments that he claims are "liberal lies." If you want something similar but which actually involves correcting actual historical myths, go to James Loewen.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 03-31-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
92bDad
Platinum Member

Kiro,

Thanks...I'll add that to my list as I wind down going through the ones I have.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
92bDad
Platinum Member

So far I've read a few pages of "The Conservative's Handbook" by Phil Valentine.

Some points that have caught my attetion so far...with respect, I will need to do some research into the claims...that being said, this is a pretty cool outline regarding some strong issues:

It starts by discussing "America is Good" - placing some points on the good nature of America as a whole versus other superpowers throughout history that have been dominated by Dominant Government rule. One topic that comes up is this perception of racism within the founding fathers and how typically the freedom of slaves is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. But until reading this, I was unaware of how much took place towards freeing the slaves, long before Lincoln.

Rufus King, a signer of the Constitution, authored a federal bill prohibiting slavery in the territories of illinoie, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. that bill was singed into law by President George Washington.

He goes on to point out the purpose behind the 3/5 Compromise...basically this compromise was not to dehumanize the slaves, but rather to lower the representation of the Pro-Slavery constituents, thus creating an avenue to abolish slavery.

This book moves forward and goes on to point out how much America has spent from a resources stand point, as well as personnel (Military and other) to rescue and bail out other countries...only to continuely be hated by those countries...also to see virtually no help coming from outside the USA when we were in need of some help (Katrina)

They go on to point out how much debt the USA has forgiven.

Then it goes on to discuss Religion and Politics and pointing out that "Separation of Church and State" is nowhere in the consititution. The item that Thomas Jefferson wrote regarding this topic was to protect the State rights from having any Federal interference. It goes on to show over and over how God was and is a major piece of our nations foundation and that over the years, we have seen the Supreme Court twist the meaning of the constitution to the exact opposite of what it was originally written for.

So far so good...I'm looking forward to a broader overview and then re-reading and digging in for some additional background.

This makes me wonder...is there a "Liberals Handbook" out there...perhaps I can get a better understanding of liberal ideology, even as I disagree with it.

Tags
fluffy banter, stop