Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold
Default Does it seem like the Mavs...

..play down to the competition a lot lately? hollingers power rankings (whether you have a use for them or not) kinda make a point. i mean, some of these teams (sacremento tonight) seem to give them a harder time than they should. maybe the team is just in a lull.

also, what's with allowing all these points in the paint these days?
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

this is just speculation, but I have had two ideas on this:

1) Its just hard to play with the same intensity because we really dont NEED to win right now. I think everyone but Avery is ready for the playoffs to start because we have basically done what we needed to do in the regular season. As good as Avery is at keeping us focused, there are times during games when we kind of coast because we really arent playing for anything. Remember, SA and PHX are still playing for the 2nd seed. Their games still matter.

2) We are worried less about winning and more about seeing certain situations, lineups, running different plays. We might not be throwing out everything we have, but instead using each game as a learning situation to help us grow as a team headed into the playoffs.

... or maybe I'm way off base and we are just tired and going through a lull. Either way, I'm not too worried about this time. I still don't think anyone can beat us in a 7 game series. GO MAVS!
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

defensive rotations have broken down pretty noticably a few times recently. i don't know if we as fans have just acquired a keener eye for it, or if the mavs just need a couple of practices to get back in sync.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Bathouse Bear

Bathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these parts

Last year this team had a horrible march.

I think what you ae seeing is that this team is running out of steam. Its hard to play at a really hgh level for as long as the Mavs have this season.

Ive also been a bit concerned about our play over the last 5 or 6 games.

Once we clinch the 1 seed. I think you will really see Avery rest a lot of the players and also give guys like Buckner and Devean George extended minutes to get their games back in shape.
Bathouse Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
..play down to the competition a lot lately? hollingers power rankings (whether you have a use for them or not) kinda make a point. i mean, some of these teams (sacremento tonight) seem to give them a harder time than they should. maybe the team is just in a lull.

also, what's with allowing all these points in the paint these days?
No Dirk? No Damp?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

This is a tough situation.

As the Mavs have run through the league this year they must be getting fatiqued (Mentally and Physically)

However they have a rythm going that you don't want to mess with. So how, in the final couple of weeks, do you get them each plenty of rest, and then how do you get them ramped back up for the post-season.

It took 4 games into the regular season before the Mavs turned it on...remember 0-4...they don't have this same luxury in the post-season.

As a fan, I reserve the right to freak out...after the playoffs are under way, for now it's just a speed bump that is a bit annoying, we will resume highway speeds in the playoffs.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Suns eek by the Grizzlies by 5, are they playing to the level of their competition? The Mavs blast the Hornets, the Spurs eek by. Each game is different in the NBA. I still think this team is ready for the regular season to end, and are struggling to maintain focus. All will be well once the playoffs begin, and this will a challenging year to make it all the way to the finals. In the post seasons, fans don't get upset if the Mavs win by one or two points, the win is what is important, and at this time of year the same should be said.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
No Dirk? No Damp?
to an extent, you're definitely right.

but they have allowed lots of points in the paint even with damp.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

It may be a characteristic that Avery picked up from Popovich--the Spurs are notorious for "playing down to the level of an opponent"
At this point in the season, I'm inclined to think it's more a matter of conserving a bit of energy for the playoffs

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs need more cowbell

Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the mavs need more mean streak.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

In many of these "play down to the level" games, it seems the Mavs surge to a huge lead, then relax and lose it and have to come back strong to win. While I'd rather see them put teams away, even the mediocre teams have great players who can fill it up if the defense relaxes even a little. Guys like Arena and Paul Pierce and Starbury are a threat to erase a 12 point lead with just 4 shots. And when they play the Mavs, they rarely throw in the towel until there is not enough time left for a comeback.

The good thing about this is its put the Mavs into more 4th quarter situations where they need to execute. The Suns players are yucking it up on the bench with their big blowouts, while the Mavs are still working at the end of games. Sometimes I wonder if Avery doesn't prefer it this way, so his team gets more experience executing in close game situations. To my mind, thats more valuable than a few minutes extra rest.

The bottom line here is that in many of these situations, the Suns and Spurs lost games, while almost every time, the Mavs found a way to win. And when the playoffs start, there will not be many blowouts. It will all come down to 4th quarter execution. The ability to hold leads, lose leads and come back, stick around and surge ahead at the end are all skills that will come in handy in May and June. The Mavs have a lot of practice at all these. And think about it, even in Atlanta, when that team and its fans think they have a chance to beat the Mavs, its instant playoff atmosphere. Avery can't simulate that in practice. So in 4th quarters, he's drawing up in bounds plays, and teammates are learning to trust each other.

I'll bet that turns out to be far better preparation for the playoffs than smiling on the bench with a 20 point lead.

Of course, it doesn't fit Hollinger's belief that margin of victory is the best predictor of future wins. Well, we've been through an entire season with his power rankings. If his theory was sound, by now, the Spurs should have won more games than the Mavs. His system has utterly failed to predict future wins this season. The Mavs just went 9-1, while the Spurs did 7-3, yet their lead in his system is bigger than ever. . The system may be good for something. but as far as predicting future wins, it just ain't working.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The Mavs need more cowbell

Can Kevin Willis play cowbell?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

G-Man, I have much respect for you, but please don't say "Starbury" ever again, ok?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
G-Man, I have much respect for you, but please don't say "Starbury" ever again, OK?
Sorry. I meant it in the most derogatory way possible.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

I think the recent injuries to George and Buck (and the nagging dings to Dirk, JHo and Damp) have softened our defense. Before the knee injury to George, the Mavs were playing some of the best defense I've ever seen them play. They hung in there for awhile when George and Buck were out, but have been consistently burned lately by the opponent's "star" offensive players: Michael Redd, Marbury, Stoudemire, and even Artest last night. I think things will come back around here in the next couple weeks. I actually kind of liked having to go without Dirk last night as it forced George and Buckner to get more involved and they both played much better than they have shown lately.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #17
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

It's sort of just how it's been all year. We really haven't blown out too many teams.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #18
Bathouse Bear

Bathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these parts

[qutoe] I think the recent injuries to George and Buck (and the nagging dings to Dirk, JHo and Damp) have softened our defense. Before the knee injury to George, the Mavs were playing some of the best defense I've ever seen them play. They hung in there for awhile when George and Buck were out, but have been consistently burned lately by the opponent's "star" offensive players: Michael Redd, Marbury, Stoudemire, and even Artest last night. I think things will come back around here in the next couple weeks. I actually kind of liked having to go without Dirk last night as it forced George and Buckner to get more involved and they both played much better than they have shown lat[/quote]

I agree with you.
Our defense during the Laker game in January was insane. I think our defense has been a little soft the past few weeks, but I think it will come into shape now that Devean George and Greg Buckner are back.

Make no mistake about it, we could win the NBA championship without Buckner and George, but when they are both on their game , the MAvs go from being a very good team that could contend for the NBA title, to an awesome team that might be considered one of the all time best.
Bathouse Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #19
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
It's sort of just how it's been all year. We really haven't blown out too many teams.

yeah i know. just kinda bothers me.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #20
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
G-Man, I have much respect for you, but please don't say "Starbury" ever again, ok?
G-Man is cool enough that if he wants to say it, he can.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #21
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

We havent blown out too many teams but we've won a lot of games.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote