Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quiet getaway around Austin area?

The week of July 15-18, I'm trying to find a quiet relatively secluded place to meet a friend of mine for a sort of intervention.

He's been pretty depressed about some things so I've offered to find and finance about a 4 day getaway. I want it to be in a pretty area, not too crowded and has some fishing, some boating (canoeing, or other) but mostly I plan on spending the majority of the time walking, sitting and just talking.

I don't know the austin area well, so I thought that maybe someone might have some suggestions. The last time I did this with someone else it was up at hot springs and was just a 8-15 room motel (with separate little bungalos). That worked out really well.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or anything that has a bunch of nightlife, but someplace that is not so secluded that we could not get in the car in a half-hour or so and find a restaurant or something.

Any thoughts? It could also easily be 2-3 hours outside of austin, in fact that might be nicer. The more scenic the better imo as I expect just seeing some nice scenary will be a help.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
The week of July 15-18, I'm trying to find a quiet relatively secluded place to meet a friend of mine for a sort of intervention.

He's been pretty depressed about some things so I've offered to find and finance about a 4 day getaway. I want it to be in a pretty area, not too crowded and has some fishing, some boating (canoeing, or other) but mostly I plan on spending the majority of the time walking, sitting and just talking.

I don't know the austin area well, so I thought that maybe someone might have some suggestions. The last time I did this with someone else it was up at hot springs and was just a 8-15 room motel (with separate little bungalos). That worked out really well.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or anything that has a bunch of nightlife, but someplace that is not so secluded that we could not get in the car in a half-hour or so and find a restaurant or something.

Any thoughts? It could also easily be 2-3 hours outside of austin, in fact that might be nicer. The more scenic the better imo as I expect just seeing some nice scenary will be a help.
Depending on how fast you drive, I hear the Mavs FO is pretty quiet this time of year.

Also it's nice what you are doing. More friends should be like that.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.visitwimberley.com/
Old 07-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
Wimberly is awesome - a bit of a "retired hippie" community, but charming & peaceful... Probably one of the prettier places in the Hill Country...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I have no recommendation, but just want to say that sounds like a great thing you are doing for a friend.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

http://www.marblefalls.org/
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at Canyon Creek Lake, Buchanon Lake and just started looking at the LBJ lake area.

Wimberly huh...I did love the LonesomeSome Dove River Inn name but a little pricey.

Last edited by dude1394; 07-03-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
I almost never agree with Mavdog, but MarbleFalls is beautiful, and everything you could ask for.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

Yes the marblefalls in the lbj lake area looks really nice.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

fredricksburg is really nice as well.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I know this area very well, and I think Marble Falls is a really great choice.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Marble Falls.

get some pies at Bluebonnet

do some cliff diving and swimming/fishing at enchanted rock

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, get a lakehouse at Marble falls. If you have an SUV, you could rent some jet ski's there too.

I was up at a lakehouse over the holiday around Kingsland. It's also an area that you might be interested in--probably cheaper than stuff in Marble Falls too, but still within the same proximity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
Marble Falls.

get some pies at Bluebonnet
Co-sign on the pies at Bluebonnet--this place is on Food Network quite often too...

Enchanted rock would be fun for camping...and one of the best places to see what the Austin "hill-country" is all about. Nearby Fredericksburg will give a hint of "Dirk" to the trip--pretty good brats and beer at Silver Creek Beer Garden. The one downside would be that there isn't a large body of water in the area if you're into that.

Honestly, there's so much nature in Austin, it might be the least expensive to grab a place in the city and drive out about 1-2 hours every day...but that's up to you. If so, you might also want to check out Hamilton Pool--natural pool outside the city with a few nature trails for hiking too.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

You've gotten some very nice recommendations here. You can't go wrong.

It's really great that you are willing to take the time to try to help your friend. That's true greatness in my book.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Hey dude...did you make your decision yet?

Past weekend I went down to Lockhart again--aka the BBQ Capital of Texas.

Best BBQ I have eaten in my life. I'm not really one to throw out "bests" all the time, but there is no denying the quality of meat here. Check out the prime rib, brisket, and ribs at Smitty's Market. Trust me, they will let you down.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Best of luck...hope it goes well.

Unfortunately, I don't have any "Cool Connections" in Austin, but I will agree that there are some great places down there. All my experience with Austin has been work related, so I drive by all these neat places...

On the flip side, up here...or just North of Dallas, I have had experience at Lake Texoma around Tanglewood resort and folks in that area who rent there homes out on a weekly basis. Some good lake time, as well as outdoor get away from reality time.

Let us know what you found out about the Austin area and if you have any advice for future Austin retreats.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Is your friend's name by any chance Marcin Gortat?

just kidding. You can't go wrong with Marble Falls. This sounds like a great thing you are doing.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and the kind thoughts..Marble Falls is definitely on my hit list. I picked a place on Buchanon Lake because I was having some difficulty getting cabins on short notice, I think it will fit the bill.

My wife mentioned something about "pies" also, so I'll be checking those out at Marble Falls for sure.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember right from my time in Austin, you'll want to say, "Lake Buchanan."
Otherwise, they might hold the best pies for the locals, brah.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote