Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Bonzi

Bonzi is on a distinguished road
Default Tractor

The Cavs just declined to pick up Tractor Traylor's option for next season. We need depth at center and he was a consistent reserve in Cleveland. Why don't we go after him?
Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Tractor

Too slow and too short.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't mind picking him up for the LLE. He's certainly no "Amare stopper," but for 10-12 minutes he could be pretty usefull in throwing his big belly around and getting rebounds. Plus he'd get a "reunion" with Dirk, who we traded him for [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tractor

Mavs don't have the LLE to spend. It'd have to be vet minimum, or part of the MLE. Wouldn't be a horrible pickup - good rebounder, better shot-blocker than some of the other guys whose names get tossed around in spite of his size, capable of playing the 4 or the 5. Mavs would do well to keep an eye on him, even if he's not close to being my first choice.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How do these exceptions work? How's come we don't have the LLE but do have the MLE? Is it that you can use the MLE every year, but not the LLE? I don't get it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
How do these exceptions work? How's come we don't have the LLE but do have the MLE? Is it that you can use the MLE every year, but not the LLE? I don't get it.
Under the current CBA, you can only use the LLE every other year. We used it last year to sign M'Benga, so it's not available this year. The MLE is available every year to teams that are over the cap.

All of this MAY end up being moot if they change it in the new CBA (assuming a new CBA is reached), but I don't think this is one of the items being discussed, so it's likely to remain pretty much the same.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If Tractor is the Mavs only pickup this offseason, I still have doubts of the Mavs making it through the finals.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

If Tractor is in the rotation this coming year I have doubts of the Mavs making through the 2nd round. 6'8" is just too short for a nonathletic and ground bound and slow player like Traylor. I'd rather have Fortson back than Traylor and I'm not that fond of Fortson.

GMC he may get a goodly amount of block for someone his size, but I think that we need more height and if getting Traylor keeps us from getting it or playing it, I think it will cost us dearly.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

No thanks, I'll stick with the guy we traded "Tractor Trailor" away for in the first place...don't want him back.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

My impression of Tractor is that while he's not posessed of a noteworthy athleticism, he's still considerably more moblie than Fortson, and he's demonstrably much more of a shotblocking threat, which is something I value in the guy we end up getting at least as much as I value height per se. Again, he's not remotely a guy I'd advocate targeting from the get-go, but you just never know how things are going to play out, and I'd argue that the Mavs would be better off signing him to a cheap contract than they would be trading Marquis for some over-the-hill guy with a larger vertical extent but who, when you get right down to it, isn't really any more effective than Traylor.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

GMC I'll agree that whoever we get we want to be productive as possible and that height for height's sake doesn't really give us anything. However I'm concerned that Traylor's shot blocking stats are decieving because he has played exclusively in the Leastern conference where the big men are generally shorter and less talented. Still I suppose that we could get a lot worse.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
gnzl312

gnzl312 is on a distinguished road

hell why not,, anything is an upgrade from bradley. for the LLE of course. hes not a natural center but i rather have him playing back up to damp than brad
gnzl312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #13
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

We don't want him to take a spot from mbenga and pavel. But he is a veteran and has experiance. If we et him for the veteran minimum, we must get rid of bradley. We need to start giving p-pod and mbenga some time to play or how will we know if they are any good. Mebga's contract is expiring this year, so playing time for him should be a priority.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #14
LRB
Guru

There is only 2 areas that Tractor is better than Bradley and one of those is a huge maybe. One Tractor is more physical than Bradley. The 2nd is that maybe and that's a huge maybe Avery would be more likely to play Tractor than Bradley. Still even if we gain about 10lbs we lose 10" at the center spot. If Avery will play Bradley or if Avery won't play Tractor I'll take Bradley any day over Tractor.

Everyone likes to dish Bradley, but he did fill in well when Damp was injured this year.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #15
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

We may pick him up... I mean cmon he gave us Dirk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone likes to dish Bradley, but he did fill in well when Damp was injured this year.
I thought he did as well. But, Avery would not play him in the playoffs. I have no idea why, but he got so little burn that I have to believe that Avery will never play him unless Damp is injured. With that said, there are many other teams out there that can use a backup Center, and would play him. Trade him while he has a little value. Letting him ride the bench does nothing for the Mavs. People are so polarized about Bradley -- and Damp -- both, IMO are what they are. Use them for their strengths and try to minimize their weaknesses. If they aren't a piece of the puzzle to the championship, then trade them off for one that is.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Better to compare Tractor to Henderson--that's who he'd replace on the roster. I think he'd be a slight upgrade, not a big one.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote