Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ron Artest

This is preemptive, and all I have to say is that that dude is permanently and irrevocably f*cked in the head. He cannot be trusted and is a legitimate danger to himself and others and will continue to be so until he makes it into his mid-to-late 40's when the currently unchecked strength of his emotions and the control they exert over his behavior succumb to the slow march of time. Please do not post any trade proposals to bring him to Dallas (excepting that such trade proposals be submitted in jest). If you do, I believe that you will be doing irrepairable damage to the Mavs' collective karma and that the franchise and its fans will be doomed to suffer through a curse of Cubs-ian proportions that will last well into the 22nd Century. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Ron Artest

I read the title and got nervous...surely a levelheaded poster like yourself couldn't be calling for the Mavs to bring in Artest. Indiana has more behind the scenes information on the guy than any other team in the league so for them to trade a more physical Bruce Bowen with an actual offensive game would be a clear indication that his problems go deeper than any of us know.

...I’ll put it like this…you know you're out there when Rasheed Wallace thinks your crazy. The difference is, Rasheed just wants everyone to think he's crazy...Artest really is.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Ron Artest

Could he check Stoudemire? ......Never mind.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

hehe, I must admit I was hoping the title of the thread would belie the content.

"That was a pre-emptive shh! Just know I have a hole bag of shh! with [Ron Artest's] name on it."
Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

There's no doubt that we were in the Conference finals by now if we had a completely stud like Artest playing for us. The guy can defend anybody and I seriously doubt that he will do something like in Detroit ever again. And you should consider his statline in the first games:

24.6 PPG, on 49.6% FG and 41.2% 3pt and 92.2% FT shooting. Plus 6.4 RPG, 3.1 APG and 1.71 SPG.

We would have Bruce Bowen with an offensive game.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:50 AM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
and I seriously doubt that he will do something like in Detroit ever again.
Yeah. There's a pretty decent chance the next thing he does could be worse.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Please do not post any trade proposals to bring him to Dallas (excepting that such trade proposals be submitted in jest).
who dare suggest
a trade for Artest
for any reason, lest
that post be in jest
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Grand,

See, I want to play devil's advocate on the "don't get Artest" idea.

While he may be a head case - yes he is a head case - Avery is very good at that part of it, and couldn't this team use a little bit of attitude. I don't want to break up team chemistry, but to add a little fiery attitude might not hurt either. Since Artest will lead by example on the defensive end.... I still think you should at least take a look at it.

I am not saying do it at all, but I would look at it and suggest it for the right price.

And yes
Not in Jest
I suggest
They consider Artest.........

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If your goal is to have the best
Defense in the West
Then you would be hard pressed
To acquire better than Artest

Rock me!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
While he may be a head case - yes he is a head case - Avery is very good at that part of it,
No, no, no. You don't get it. I don't care how good you think Avery is at mentoring head cases, or how many second chances Artest gets (I don't think he gets another one, personally). I have come to the conclusion that there's a reason the guy is still a complete psycho at this point in his life: he is physically, neurologically incapable of controlling his own behavior in the way a normal person is capable of controlling his own behavior. I just don't think his brain is wired up the right way to allow him to ever get control over the way his emotions express themselves. His consciousness, and therefore his will and sense of right and wrong, are simply out of the loop, and no matter how much you try to teach him right from wrong, when the fit hits the shan the circuitry of his brain is simply not equipped to allow his consciousness to hold a powerful surge of emotion under the sway of a mature and integrated moral sensibility. Did you see that interview he just did a couple weeks ago? Watch what his face is doing while he's talking. The emotions it's expressing don't even come close to matching up to the things that are coming out of his mouth. That's not happening because he lacks guidance in his life. That's happening because of a neural pathology, a breakdown in his biological development that effectively failed to hook up all the different parts of his brain the way they're usually hooked up. If he doesn't get kicked out of the league for doing something unforgiveably stupid in the next few years there'll be nothing to give credit to but dumb luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Link
Weird scene

The Pistons were still shaking their heads at what happened Thursday night as they were on their bus inside the loading-dock area of Conseco Fieldhouse.

It was between 11:30 and midnight and the Pistons' bus was about to leave the arena for the airport.

Suddenly, a dark Escalade roared into the loading dock, nearly hitting several people.

Out jumped Ron Artest, the Pacers forward who got a seasonlong suspension for his part in the Nov. 19 brawl.

According to Pistons players on the bus, Artest was wearing an old (and short) pair of shorts. He had no shoes on and, upon getting out of the vehicle, he tore off his T-shirt.

Given the history between Artest and the Pistons, the team's security officials were on high alert. But Artest made no motion toward the bus. He simply walked, bare-chested and bare-footed, into the building, presumably for a midnight workout.

"There's something going on there," Ben Wallace said, not wanting to comment further.

Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Just say no to Artest and stick with the developing JHo.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Ron Artest is a shut down defender one year removed from being the defensive player of the year. Howard is great but guys like T-Mac and Nash seem to go off on him. Perimeter defense was just as big of a reason we lost as Amare Stoudamire. Letting Marion go off for 24 points and 12 rebounds was just as big of a reason as Nash and Amare going Ape.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Grand, you may be right. But then again, you may be wrong. It is anyone's guess as to what he will do next. The real question is -- is his talent worth the risk? ?

If you think no, then I can't argue. If you think yes, then I can't argue.

Randy Moss anyone ? ? ? ? Charles Haley? Latrell Spreewell? Warren Sapp? Dexter Manley? Lawrence Taylor? Terrell Owens? Ricky Williams? Dennis Rodman? Alonzo Spellman?
Just a small list of the "star athalete's with slight mental issues, that were once exceptional.

I don't know that he is worth it, massive problem. Just a thought though, that you would be wrong not to consider - even if you decide against it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 05-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

It's not a "slight mental issue". And the fact that it's anyone's guess (including his) what he'll do next is preciesly the problem.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #16
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

The bigger part of the issue is that Indy does NOT want to trade him - so, trying to figure out whether we want him is a moot point.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
The bigger part of the issue is that Indy does NOT want to trade him - so, trying to figure out whether we want him is a moot point.
Is this the public stance? or is this the truth? or is this the -- we aren't going to get anything of any value if we admit we want to move him stance? or is it a combination of it? or do you just read the Headlines, and skip the article? or is this inside information?

What was it Jordan said -- I will never play NBA basketball again, I am retired. How many times? Nash will always be a Maverick -- at least until..... TMac will never be traded... No one can move Chris Webbers contract..... and on and on and on.

All players are movable -- it just depends on the two sides determining what he is worth to each.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #18
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Fine, you can offer Dirk for him and yes Indy will obviously be interested. But I have monitored everything coming out of Indy for the last 6 months, and the concept that many outsiders have that the Pacers have some desire to move Artest is dumbly wrong - it is pretty close to the opposite of the truth.

You can play the what-if game and toss in a jillion hypotheticals. Just like Sam Smith does with Dirk. But INDY DOES NOT WANT TO TRADE ARTEST. They see him as part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

Depending on what we had to give up, of course, I actually like the idea of Artest on this team. Teams that used to think we are soft, will now actually have watch what they do out there. We would pick up an intimidating defender with attitude who can run the floor and has a great offensive game. Sure, the guy is something of a nutcase but he has learned a tough lesson this year. His stock is at a low. From what I understand, he is well liked by the other players on his team. (I can't really even fault him too much for going after that fan who a threw his drink on him. What would you do if someone through their drink at you?) We have an inspirational coach and a good group of guys--a fostering environment if you will. Van Excel was supposed to be a bad guy, too. Where would the Cowboys defense have been without Charles Haley? Sometimes you may have to be a little crazy/emotional to play with that much intensity.

As Pirate says, Indiana may not even want to trade the guy. However, they went far this year without him and will need some clutch shooting without Miller around in the future. Perhaps we could work something out along those lines, especially given our logjam on the perimeter. I wouldn't give up JHO--but maybe a package of some kind with Jet (who I also like) might be enticing to them.

Artest would be a great addition against some of the foes we are sure to continue seeing over the next couple of years. You could place this guy on McGrady, on Amare (who is only 6-10 on the stat sheet), Manu or Carmelo and expect excellent results. Sure, we could stand pat. But if the experiment was a success, we would have an outside shot at becoming a dynasty rather than just a team that might be able to win a championship sometime in the next couple of years if all the stars in the sky are properly aligned.
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #20
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sure, the guy is something of a nutcase but he has learned a tough lesson this year.
He hasn't learned anything.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #21
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I would love to have the guy here but I doubt we have the assets, other than Nowitzki, to land Ronnie Artest.

Would be a great addition to the team though, the guy is flat out a winner. Pacers are 62-20 in the last 82 games he played for them.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote