Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questionable three way - Dal/LA/Sac

What would you think about this trade? I am not sure it works, but I think it will by the current CBA

Dallas:
Marquis Daniels to Sacramento
TAW to LA Lakers

Sacramento:
Peja to LA Lakers

LA Lakers:
Lamar Odem to Dallas
Caron Butler to Sacramento
Luke Walton to Dallas

Why would Dallas do it?
To get another talented/athletic Big. To move TAW contract. To resolve the crunch at swingman. Get a young guy in Walton.
I am not sure that Odem is the answer to the athletic 4/5 when he is really a 3/4 -- but IMO, he has tons of talent, and can block some shots.

Why would Sacramento do it?
Get young talents in Butler and Daniels for a player that is wanting to move to LA to be with his buddy Vlade. Peja would probably have to force this one.
I am not sure that Sac would move Peja, but with his playoff meltdowns, maybe if he pushed hard enough.

Why would LA do it?
Get their Pippen in Peja for Kobe... and clear cap space with the TAW contract - immediate cut.
If they aquire a defensive Big....watch out. They would be fairly set on offense with Kobe, Peja, Mihm in the triangle. Atkins on spot-up, and Grant/defensive big clean-up. I could definately see Phil making this work.

Curious as to others thoughts of why/why not this would/wouldn't happen.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Questionable three way - Dal/LA/Sac

sure, I'd like getting Odom for Quise, but I don't see this happening.
I don't think Sac would send Peja to LA, and I don't want any Walton in Dallas.

Also, I think Sac would want Odom in this deal.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Questionable three way - Dal/LA/Sac

Trading Quis for Odom would be a good deal for Dallas even if we had to give up TAW [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But noway in hell do I see the Kings doing this trade especially since it would be trading Peja to a division rival.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
gnzl312

gnzl312 is on a distinguished road

i like it, dont think it would work but i would do it. i think odom would fit nice in our system. but i know sac would want more than butler and quis for peja.
gnzl312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:03 AM   #5
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

man, a bad deal for us. Avery hates mismatches and like a conventional lineup. There is nothing conventinal with odem and dirk in the starting lineup. He will kill himseld. But nelly would have loved it. We will also add walton which is another 3/4 guy. Very bad. We will look like the 2004 team that lost in the first round. NO WAY.
the kings are not stupid, u don't trade an mvp candidate 2 years a go for 2 developing guys like butler and quis. Bad deal for them. They can get artest for peja.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, Odom would come off the bench as the 4/5 combo. He would still get 30 a night, but just not start. And Walton, I think, would be just a filler -- energy role player -- I wouldn't expect him to figure into the lineup as a regular rotation guy.

I can understand the Sac not moving Peja, but if Peja states he is leaving, and Sac doesn't want Artest because of the baggage, then getting 2 youngs with potential might be appealing to them.

IMO; this is how the lineups should shake out....if this trade were to happen.
For Sac:
Bibby, Butler, Daniels, Thomas, Miller -- with Mobley possible --

For LAL: (much like what Chicago had)
Atkins, Kobe, Peja, Grant, Mihm

For Dallas:
Harris, Stackhouse, Howard, Dirk, Damp --- with a rotation of Terry (1/2), Finley(2/3), KVH (3/4), Odom (4/5). Walton as the 10th, and Bradley and the two young bigs battling for scraps.

Totally conventional starting lineup, with the ability to convert to just about any style of play -- and not have a dramatic drop-off at any position.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 06-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Questionable three way - Dal/LA/Sac

Odom cannot play the 5...period.
He is a big 3...small 4.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Odom cannot play the 5...period.
He is a big 3...small 4.
according to realgm.com:
Odom is 6'10 225 -- Amare is 6'10" 245 -- TD is 6'11" 260 and KGarnett 6'11" 240

He is light in the backside, but you have Damp when the weight is needed. He also has very good length and quickness.
If Detroit can play Antonio McDyess at 6'9" at the 5 in the championship series.....I think Odom can play the 5 for periods of the game.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

No way odem is a backup. He will not like it. He is young and is at a point in his carear where he is proving himself. He will not accept being benched. Plus he plays his best as a 3.

I don't know why everybody wants peja and kobe together? If kobe was unselfish and dished to him out of a double team, peja will score a 100 points a game. All form 3s. But never rely on kobe to be a good team player.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Odom's best position is PF, not SF. He's a bit on the small side for a 4, but he's a good enough rebounder, has enough length to compete defensively against opposing PF's, and his unusual offensive repertoire creates more problems for opponents in the frontcourt. Here's his +/- by position the last three years:

02/03 - SF (35% of the team minutes, -8.5); PF (6% of the team minutes, +11.3)
03/04 - SF (23% of the team minutes, -8.1); PF (52% of the team minutes, +5)
04/05 - SF (6% of the team minutes, -5.1); PF (50% of the team minutes, -1.6)
Old 06-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't know why everybody wants peja and kobe together? If kobe was unselfish and dished to him out of a double team, peja will score a 100 points a game. All form 3s. But never rely on kobe to be a good team player.
I don't know that people want Kobe and Peja together. It was just my connecting the dots. Vlade wants Peja in LA.... that is well documented that he has tried to get Peja to LA. Peja wasn't happy in Sac -- at least not with Webber in town (I know he is gone now). IMO. Phil will be looking for that "Scottie Pippen" type player to run with Kobe. Peja seems like he might be able to be that sidekick, since he has seemed to have a problem being "the guy".

If Kobe really does want to be "better than Jordan" -- who would be a better "Pippen" than Peja?

And you are probably correct in the Odom line -- he probably wouldn't be happy as a non-starter --- but the same was said of KVH, Stackhouse, Jamison, NVE , and all of them seemed to do fine. Yes, he plays his best as a 3, but only because most 3's aren't his size. All of that gets really jumbled with lineups though. IMO, you have Bigs, Smalls, and PG's. Take for example the Sun-SA series. TD is the PF for SA, but on D he usually took Hunter (Sun C) and Nazr took Amare (vice versa on the other end)-- so they didn't really match 5-5 and 4-4, but Bigs guarded Bigs, and smalls guarded smalls.
<edit>
Ok, Grand boought to my attention that PF might be his preferred position to SF. If Dallas had a PF like Odom, would teams be forced to play Dirk with a C then?
Who would guard whom with a KVH, Dirk, and Odom all on the floor.