Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 08-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all
Default Palin on Obama

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/0...alk_gourevitch

Before she was running against him, Sarah Palin—the governor of Alaska and now the Republican candidate for Vice-President of the United States—thought it was pretty neat that Barack Obama was edging ahead of John McCain in her usually solidly red state. After all, she said, Obama’s campaign was using the same sort of language that she had in her gubernatorial race. “The theme of our campaign was ‘new energy,’ ” she said recently. “It was no more status quo, no more politics as usual, it was all about change. So then to see that Obama—literally, part of his campaign uses those themes, even, new energy, change, all that, I think, O.K., well, we were a little bit ahead on that.” She also noted, “Something’s kind of changing here in Alaska, too, for being such a red state on the Presidential level. Obama’s doing just fine in polls up here, which is kind of wigging people out, because they’re saying, ‘This hasn’t happened for decades that in polls the D’ ”—the Democratic candidate—“ ‘is doing just fine.’ To me, that’s indicative, too. It’s the no-more-status-quo, it’s change.”

This was two weeks ago, at the statehouse in Juneau. After persistent reports, in July, that Palin was on McCain’s short list of potential running mates, her name had faded back into obscurity. Nobody in Alaska seemed to take her seriously as a national prospect, and she had shrugged the whole thing off on television, telling CNBC’s Larry Kudlow that, before considering the job, she would want to know “what is it, exactly, that the V.P. does every day.” Now, at the statehouse, she sat, unattended by aides, curled up in a cardigan, and explained that what she had done every day since becoming governor was to stick her thumb in the eye of Alaska’s Republican Party establishment. “The G.O.P. leader of the state—we haven’t spoken since I got elected,” she said.

She went on, “I guess if you take the individual issues, two that I believe would be benchmarks showing whether you’re a hard-core Republican conservative or not, would be: I’m a lifetime member of the N.R.A.—but this is Alaska, who isn’t?—and I am pro-life, absolutely.” She continued, “I guess that puts me in a box of being hard-core Republican.” But she said she recognized that “the Democrats also preach individual freedoms and individual rights, capitalism, free market, let-it-do-its-thing-best, let people keep as much of their money that they earn as possible. And when it comes to, like, the Party machine, no one will accuse me of being partisan.”

So the possibility that Obama might win Alaska did not worry Palin: “Turning maybe purple in the state means, to me, it’s more independent, it’s not the obsessive partisanship that gets in the way of doing what’s right for this state, and I think on a national level that’s what we’re gonna see.” And she added, “That’s why McCain is the candidate for the G.O.P.—because he’s been known as the maverick, as the conduit for some change.” In the state’s Republican caucus, McCain came in fourth, trailing Ron Paul. “I always looked at Senator McCain just as a Joe Blow public member, looking from the outside in,” she said. “He’s been buttin’ heads with Republicans for years, and that’s a healthy place to be.” Then again, on McCain’s signature issue—the prosecution of the war in Iraq—she did not sound so gung-ho. Her son is a soldier, and she said, “I’m a mom, and my son is going to get deployed in September, and we better have a real clear plan for this war. And it better not have to do with oil and dependence on foreign energy.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now remember people this is John McCain's vice president telling how she feels and how she believes. Just how long is she going to be able to stand the McSame? Maybe about as long as Romney could stand him? The republican party, what a circus of clowns.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

So, JR, your point is that she's a Maverick who doesn't play party politics? And you'd rather have Obama, who came up through Chicago political machinery and Biden - whos been nothing but DC politicians since he was in his 20s?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_Reno
before considering the job, she would want to know “what is it, exactly, that the V.P. does every day.”
I find it interesting you have this in bold red. Can YOU tell me what a VP does every day? Sure, you can quote a VP's duties from the Constitution if you want, but tell me... what does Dick Cheney do every day? What did Al Gore do every day? Is it supposed to be a negative against Palin that she doesn't know the detail of what a VP does every day?

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Cindy McCain's Half Sister: "I'm Voting for Barack Obama"

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/cindy...ting-for-obama

Cindy McCain's half sister is planning on voting for Barack Obama, she tells Usmagazine.com.

"I'm not voting for McCain," Kathleen Hensley Portalski tells Us. "I have a different political standpoint.

"I'm voting for Obama," the Phoenix resident says. "I think his proposals to improve the country are more positive and I'm not a big war believer."

Portalski, 65, and the potential first lady, 54, have the same father: Jim Hensley, the founder of the beer distributor Hensley and Co. that Cindy McCain now chairs.

In an interview with NPR News' All Things Considered last week, Portalski said she felt "like a non-person" after Cindy McCain described herself as an "only child."

Portalski's mother is Hensley's first wife; Cindy McCain's mother, Marguerite Hensley, also had another daughter from her first marriage.

"She's kinda cool, standoffish," Portalski tells Us of her half sister.

Portalski also doesn't expect Cindy McCain to make an effort to reconcile their relationship.

"She never has, and I doubt that she ever will," she tells Us.

Portalski's son Nathan, a 45-year-old aerospace machinist, is also backing Obama.

"I wouldn't vote for John McCain if he was a Democrat," he tells Us. "I would not vote at all before I'd vote for him.

"I question whether Cindy is someone I'd want to see in the White House as first lady," he adds.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Cindy McCain's Half Sister: "I'm Voting for Barack Obama"

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/cindy...ting-for-obama

Cindy McCain's half sister is planning on voting for Barack Obama, she tells Usmagazine.com.

"I'm not voting for McCain," Kathleen Hensley Portalski tells Us. "I have a different political standpoint.

"I'm voting for Obama," the Phoenix resident says. "I think his proposals to improve the country are more positive and I'm not a big war believer."

Portalski, 65, and the potential first lady, 54, have the same father: Jim Hensley, the founder of the beer distributor Hensley and Co. that Cindy McCain now chairs.

In an interview with NPR News' All Things Considered last week, Portalski said she felt "like a non-person" after Cindy McCain described herself as an "only child."

Portalski's mother is Hensley's first wife; Cindy McCain's mother, Marguerite Hensley, also had another daughter from her first marriage.

"She's kinda cool, standoffish," Portalski tells Us of her half sister.

Portalski also doesn't expect Cindy McCain to make an effort to reconcile their relationship.

"She never has, and I doubt that she ever will," she tells Us.

Portalski's son Nathan, a 45-year-old aerospace machinist, is also backing Obama.

"I wouldn't vote for John McCain if he was a Democrat," he tells Us. "I would not vote at all before I'd vote for him.

"I question whether Cindy is someone I'd want to see in the White House as first lady," he adds.
And what is the point you're trying to make with this article?

Doesn't Obama have a brother living in a small hut, basically in poverty? So both candidates have family members that don't necessarily help their campaigns. Big deal.

Edit: And how does this article relate to Palin? You called this thread "Palin on Obama", and then you post an article about Cindy McCain's half-sister voting for Obama? I think you hijacked your own thread.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'

Last edited by jefelump; 08-30-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
I find it interesting you have this in bold red. Can YOU tell me what a VP does every day? Sure, you can quote a VP's duties from the Constitution if you want, but tell me... what does Dick Cheney do every day? What did Al Gore do every day? Is it supposed to be a negative against Palin that she doesn't know the detail of what a VP does every day?
If you listen to the interview, this is a throwaway line meant to dodge the "are you running for Vice President?" question.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Obama's half brother would vote for him and likes him. What is your point that George is in poverty? Does that make him a bad person? I don't think George hurts Obama's campaign at all.

Obama loves his children and loves his wife. He has faith and values. Let those words ring loud as you sleep tonight. Let the word morals creep in also. Why do you think he loves his mother so much, giving him her last dime to put him thru a good school. Why did she teach her son good faith and values and most of all morals? He loves his grand parents that help raise him and help love him and worked their fingers to the bone to put him thru college?

It is a reason this man loves his wife, children and his family and kin. He want's fathers to take responsibility as he had no father. He might have seen his father for a day or two and that's it. He knows what it is to be loved because he lived it. He knows what it is to have family with strong morals and helps do the right thing because again he had no father.

You better bet he will not forsake his wife and children because he was raised better and he was taught faith and values. He also knows what it means to have family. Mom and a dad and not running out on them on hard times because this is when family needs each other most.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
jefelump

Quote:
Obama's half brother would vote for him and likes him. What is your point that George is in poverty? Does that make him a bad person? I don't think George hurts Obama's campaign at all.

Obama loves his children and loves his wife. He has faith and values. Let those words ring loud as you sleep tonight. Let the word morals creep in also. Why do you think he loves his mother so much, giving him her last dime to put him thru a good school. Why did she teach her son good faith and values and most of all morals? He loves his grand parents that help raise him and help love him and worked their fingers to the bone to put him thru college?

It is a reason this man loves his wife, children and his family and kin. He want's fathers to take responsibility as he had no father. He might have seen his father for a day or two and that's it. He knows what it is to be loved because he lived it. He knows what it is to have family with strong morals and helps do the right thing because again he had no father.

You better bet he will not forsake his wife and children because he was raised better and he was taught faith and values. He also knows what it means to have family. Mom and a dad and not running out on them on hard times because this is when family needs each other most.
My reason for bringing up Obama's brother is that he lives in poverty, and Obama is filthy rich by comparison. If Cindy McCain's half-sister is a negative against McCain (as I assume you believe since you posted that article), then Obama's lack of financial support for family living in poverty is equally negative. If Obama's faith and values are so high, why doesn't he now offer his support to bring them out of poverty and help them attain to a better standard of living?

-Mark Twain

Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

That is a legit question. I know he has never even met George as he never lived with Obama. Obama never lived in Africa and i do not think George was ever out of Africa.

Cindy McCain's half sister lived and still lives in the USA. I think her and Cindy lived together and did things together. Her son is not in the military and supporting Obama. The people Obama knows and the people that raised him and loved him, he does support and love. I just imagine his grand parents also. His father went back to Africa and he never got to see him or even knew where he was or went or did. So i am not even sure how long he even knew it was a half brother George as he lived half away around the world.

It is different when you know someone, live with someone and then disown them. George has spoken highly of Obama and hopes for the best for him and you can see what Cindy McCain's half sister and nephew think about her.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I meant to say, her son is in the military and supporting Obama. Also look what Palin says about the war and her son. Doesn't sound like her and McCain are on the same page.

It isn't very morally right to come back on a wife that has waited years and years for you to come back from the Vietnam war and her pretty face being in a car wreck and some of her outside beauty is effected. She can't walk untill thearpy and finally does walk again but then the man you wait on and love comes back to see your outside beauty has somewhat been taken away and goes around the country chasing Cindy McCain. A woman 18 years younger and when he finds out Cindy will marry him, asks his wife when she is in need for a divorce. This isn't the morals i know. Maybe this is morals of the Republican party.

Then McCains mom sues her and her and John bring up a law suit on her to get property and a necklace untill they settle out of court. Atleast McCain says this is his biggest failure, his marriage. It doesn't make it right. It makes you wonder if maybe he ever knew Monica as well.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I believe that people that contribute absolutely nothing to the Mavericks portion of the forum should be banned from the site.

Last edited by Murphy3; 08-30-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
jefelump

Quote:
I meant to say, her son is in the military and supporting Obama. Also look what Palin says about the war and her son. Doesn't sound like her and McCain are on the same page.

It isn't very morally right to come back on a wife that has waited years and years for you to come back from the Vietnam war and her pretty face being in a car wreck and some of her outside beauty is effected. She can't walk untill thearpy and finally does walk again but then the man you wait on and love comes back to see your outside beauty has somewhat been taken away and goes around the country chasing Cindy McCain. A woman 18 years younger and when he finds out Cindy will marry him, asks his wife when she is in need for a divorce. This isn't the morals i know. Maybe this is morals of the Republican party.

Then McCains mom sues her and her and John bring up a law suit on her to get property and a necklace untill they settle out of court. Atleast McCain says this is his biggest failure, his marriage. It doesn't make it right. It makes you wonder if maybe he ever knew Monica as well.
You talk about McCain's divorce and re-marrying as if it happened immediately after he returned from Vietnam. He returned from Vietnam in 1973. He met Cindy in 1979, 6 years after returning. I'm not saying what he did was "right" by any means, but I will say we have no idea what went on in their marriage for those 6 years after he had returned. To say he left her just because of her injuries from the wreck is a little presumptuous. People get divorced every day for far less. And again, that was 28-29 years ago.

-Mark Twain

Old 08-31-2008, 01:40 AM   #13
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

In his 2002 memoir, "Worth the Fighting For," McCain wrote that he had separated from Carol before he began dating Hensley.

"I spent as much time with Cindy in Washington and Arizona as our jobs would allow," McCain wrote. "I was separated from Carol, but our divorce would not become final until February of 1980."

An examination of court documents tells a different story. McCain did not sue his wife for divorce until Feb. 19, 1980, and he wrote in his court petition that he and his wife had "cohabited" until Jan. 7 of that year -- or for the first nine months of his relationship with Hensley.

Although McCain suggested in his autobiography that months passed between his divorce and remarriage, the divorce was granted April 2, 1980, and he wed Hensley in a private ceremony five weeks later. McCain obtained an Arizona marriage license on March 6, 1980, while still legally married to his first wife.

Until McCain filed for divorce, the Reagans and their inner circle assumed he was happily married, and they were stunned to learn otherwise, according to several close aides.

"Everybody was upset with him," recalled Nancy Reynolds, a top aide to the former president who introduced him to McCain.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:46 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If I was getting ready to marry someone worth $100MM, I wouldn't waste much time either. But then again, I'm not married to the "faith and values" crowd, like McCain isn't.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

It did put him in the money. He better be a good boy because Cindy is holding the money.