Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-05-2001, 08:47 PM   #1
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

I'm as optimistic as they come, but even I know we're overmatched. I think we'll avoid the sweep, but we're gonna get our doors blown completely off. Just like Nelson said, we're just trying to get playoff experience.
Old 05-05-2001, 08:50 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I'd be happy with a win or two at home, but the Spurs will definitely move on.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 09:47 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yeah, I agree too. I never really thought we'd beat Utah and I definitly don't think we'll beat SA. They've already severly past my expectations. Any thing they do from this point on is just icing on the cake.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 11:41 PM   #4
Tarzan

Tarzan is on a distinguished road

Certainly the Spurs are favored but don't count the Mavs out yet.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:50 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Well if we're going to have a chance to win the series, we HAVE to win game 2. If we lose game 2, then we would have to either beat the Spurs 4 straight or beat them in game 7 there. Neither of those two scenarios will happen. The next game is the key.

GO MAVS!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 05:36 PM   #6
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I disagree.. look at our series against the Jazz. We won 3 straight and beat them on their home court, which is more intimidating than the Alamadome.
Old 05-06-2001, 06:35 PM   #7
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but the Jazz didn't have two of the best big men in the NBA. We just had to deal with Stockton and Malone. Now, Dallas has to contend with Robinson, Duncan and the rest of the spurs, who are ten times better than the Jazz could ever dream to be. I'd rather play Utah on their home court in a game five than have to deal with Duncan and Robinson. At least, however, we no longer have to deal with Anderson anymore. Antonio Daniels is pretty good.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen, but I have turned into a realist in my college years.
Old 05-06-2001, 08:03 PM   #8
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

It is certainly going to be tough to win this series. Dallas hasn't even come close to beating the Spurs in a long time. Well, we did come within 3 at home didn't we? Maybe Buckner can help close down their 3 point shooters. That way Duncan and Robinson will have to beat us. BTW, does anybody else think that Danny Ferry is a prick?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 08:12 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Danny Ferry's a classless, wannabe thug.
Old 05-06-2001, 08:19 PM   #10
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

The smug-white guy with a skin head look makes him look like a nazi
Old 05-06-2001, 11:04 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Utah is an old team who got tired as the series went on. The Spurs will not get tired, we cannot beat them 4 straight. I can't remember when they lost that many games in a row. I also cannot imagine beating them in a game 7. We barely beat Utah in the final game and they were worn out. We have to win game 2 to win the series.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:45 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is, is that if the mavs get hot, they can beat anyone. but if they are not hitting on all cylinders, they probably aren't going to squeak out any victories against the spurs.
bradley needs to come up huge like he did in game one., he has to guard duncan, or guard robinson and have dirk guard duncan
but, we can't afford to have dirk in foul trouble....but, we can't afford to have howard guard duncan....
so, guard duncan with bradley and guard robinson with dirk/booth/jhoward.

if the mavs get hot, it's going to be an interesting series
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 08:53 AM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Someone has been saying Bradley playoff heroics are coming. For a while there during the game, I thought it was going to happen. He played probably the best quarter of basketball I have seen him play since he's been in the NBA! If he could play like that against Duncan and somehow Booth can contain Robinson, we MAY have a chance. However to expect them to do that for FOUR GAMES, it's damn near impossible. However I still want to see competitive games though. I'll be pissed if they have another game like they did Saturday.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:06 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

truthfully, i don't know if juwan howard can guard any of san antonio's starting five well enough to where he needs to be on the floor.
yes, i would love to see booth and bradley take a shot at guarding robinson and duncan.

Old 05-07-2001, 11:38 AM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

The only way for us to win this series is control the post. This is the ONE time it's going to hurt us not being a good rebounding team.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:09 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

We can win this series. We just need to hit our shots. If we open the court and hit some threes, we will be in the game. But we need to have all of the big three to have good games to win.

I'm not a Junior Member anymore!
Old 05-07-2001, 02:12 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

I think the Mavs need to neutralize the post and control the Spurs' perimeter players. There's no stopping Duncan/Robinson but our centers need to at least prevent them from getting easy shots and rebounds.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:18 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

good point dj...
that's exactly why the mavs can't use their guards to double up on the spurs big men
they can't afford to be beaten by their three point shooting
Old 05-07-2001, 03:49 PM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

Right now the only three point shooter I would be concerned about is Porter! Kerr doesn't get enough minutes and Elliot is a "decent" three point shooter, but if they're going to rely on him hitting his three pointers to win the game, then we'll win!

I agree with DJ that we need to sure up their post play. I know this, we can't have someone leaving one of the big men because Duncan and Robinson do an EXCELLENT job of cutting to the basketball when the other is double teamed!!!!
Old 05-07-2001, 03:58 PM   #20
djb
Administrator

Antonio Daniels has been a pretty dangerous jumpshooter thus far in the post season. Mavs need to watch out for him, Porter, and Ferry. You're right about Kerr..talk about washed out.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:00 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

the mavs aren't going to control the post.
they can minimize the damage. solid games from booth and bradley would be huge.
the mavs can't afford to get beat by players other than robinson and duncan.

they need to minimize the damage in the post and not get killed by the spurs three point shooting.
regardless of whether or not you're worried about any of their three point shooters besides porter, the spurs are the top rated three point shooting team, so they've proven they can beat you outside if you use a guard to double up down low.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:14 PM   #22
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Does anyone else think that Howard is a liability on Defense against this team? This past game 1 was like game 2 of the Utah game... all inside scoring for SA, and that leads to the open 3's. I dont know if there is a way to stop it with the player we have. If we can contain everyone else and let Duncan get his points, maybe we have a shot?
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 04:16 PM   #23
djb
Administrator

Howard should come off the bench and provide some spark against the Spurs' secondary unit. Starting Buck is the way to go imo.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:18 PM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Starting Buck would be the way to go.

#1 - i think nellie should sit howard at the beginning as kind of a nice gesture to the spurs.

#2 - Buck could give us the rebounding we need

#3 - He could actually match up better against duncan (he's more active).

Who knows, but i think starting buck would be a good idea.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:28 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

i think the mavs should start buckner instead of howard as a kind gesture to mavs fans. they're tired of seeing his no defense playing ass on the court.

yes, juwan is a defensive liability against every team, not just the spurs