Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2002, 09:52 PM   #1
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Am I the only one who has this same feeling? I know the guys are all professionals, but, there has to be some hurt feelings show up in this game.

I don't think I even want to watch it.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i have no fear of the mavs playing denver..the mavs should win the game.. so i'm looking forward to seeing juwan losing.

i always thought that if the mavs lost, i hope it's completely from something stupid that juwan does...well, i'm hoping win the mavs beat the nuggets, it's because juwan is taken to school
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:56 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Should be interesting to watch.

I almost feel sorry for Denver cause you know Dallas is going to give them a whipping.

When we use to play them, LaFrentz was really my only concern.

I guess that honor goes to Posey now, but he's not enough.

Wouldn't it be our luck that Hardaway stays pissed enough to hoist 3's and make them like he didn't here? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2002, 10:19 PM   #4
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Murph, you're pathetic

P.S. Hardaway's 3 point percentage is higher than Finley's
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:23 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

As up as Hardaway/Howard/Harvey will be, the four that left Denver will be up as well. I expect a MONSTER game from NVE.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:40 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pathetic?
shouldn't that be a strike against you?
;-)
Old 02-25-2002, 10:44 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< P.S. Hardaway's 3 point percentage is higher than Finley's >>

I'll assume this was for my benefit.

Yes, Hardaway shot 34.1% from down-town compared to Fin's 30.1%.

Then again, Hardaway hoisted up 141 more than Finley did.

Hardaway...95-279

Finley...42-138

Old 02-25-2002, 10:52 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

While McDyess play? I can't even visualize a scenario where we could lose this game if he doesn't play. They just traded away 4 of their top players and have another hurt.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Im not sure MFFL...the last I heard, he was thinking of sitting out the rest of the season.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:55 AM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The matchup I'm going to enjoy the most is Dirk vs. Howard. Howard has aboslutely no chance of guarding him. Dirk may put another 30-20 game on the Nugs.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:41 PM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Actually Kat, I would thinking Denver would be dreading the meeting. I can see Van Exel and La Frentz going off ESPECIALLY Van Exel because he dind't like them at all. Look how he goes off whenever he plays the Lakers. Hope he does the same thing to the Nuggets.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:58 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

but doesn't everyone remember howard as being the dominant inside defensive presence that the mavs always needed?
Old 02-26-2002, 02:38 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

<< but doesn't everyone remember howard as being the dominant inside defensive presence that the mavs always needed? >>

LOL.

I must say I was guilty of liking the trade. Although, I don't think I went as far as to say he was the dominant presence inside that we needed. But, I thought he would have helped more. As time went by, his defense made me shudder.

While I wish him well, he don't stand a chance against Dirk.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #14
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

At least he didn't get punked out for 53 by Duncan ala Dirk or wasn't hidden on the weakest offensive link of the opposing team ala Finley.

Unless you guys are hardcore Steve Nash fans, then none of you has good ground singling any particular Maverick starter out for poor defense.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:25 PM   #15
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

My my my... what a selective memory. Dirk did not guard Duncan the entire game. It was a combination of Dirk, Howard, and Manning.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 06:32 PM   #16
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

By March 3, 2003 Harvey will probably be the only one left(if him)...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 PM   #17
Epitome22
Golden Member

Dirk guarded him for most of the game, it was the worst defense I had ever seen at that point. He was also getting eaten alive by Chris Webber in the first half before they decided to switch Raef to guarding Webber.

The Mavericks would be smart not to give Dirk the assignment of guarding Gasol.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:29 PM   #18
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< He was also getting eaten alive by Chris Webber in the first half before they decided to switch Raef to guarding Webber. >>

Again that selective memory.... after they switched Dirk from Webber to Divac... Dirk shut down Divac with **no** points and blocked Divac.... Divac was so frustrated with Dirk's D that he fouled him twice after Dirk got the rebound. Man what horrible D.

And Webber had 18 points at halftime if I recall (which I **know** Dirk didn't give up all 18). Dirk had 15... so what does that say about Webber's D? And did you see the drive baseline Dirk had when he finished with a dunk?

Anyway... I'm not saying Dirk's d is great... but saying he was responsible for Duncan's 53 or Webber's 18 is pretty amusing.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:54 PM   #19
Epitome22
Golden Member

It's only amusing if you find the truth funny.

Duncan completly tore dirk a new body cavity

Webber was doing the same thing to him in the first half the other night before they switched him over to guarding Divac.

Shutting down Divac is nothing to brag about, it's not as if he is a prime offensive force or something, especially not anymore. The reason he fouled dirk twice after his old creekety floor footed hook shots didn't go in is because he thinks it's an injustice for him to run up and down the court. He does it every game. I hear kings fans complain about it everytime. If he misses a shot and his opponent gets the board, he swats him quickly to stop play so he won't have to die of cardiac arrest going back down the court.

It doesen't matter, Dirk did a nice job on Pau Gasol tonight and did an excellent job of boxing him out in the first half. He was passing very well tonight too, props for Dirk.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:25 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

McDyess will probably play.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
<a target=new href="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_1003577,00.html
">McDyess returning Friday vs. Memphis</a>
Vandeweghe agrees star forward ready to play again after a couple of false starts
By Kyle Ringo, News Staff Writer
Rocky Mountain News

Antonio McDyess is ready to play basketball again. The Denver Nuggets forward has been ready for a week now. He will make his season debut Friday at the Pepsi Center against Memphis.

No kidding this time.

McDyess has missed every game this season after undergoing surgery Oct. 12 to repair a partially torn patellar tendon. He has endured a laborious rehabilitation while watching teammates lose. Several of his closest friends on the team were traded Thursday in a deal that shifted Denver's focus back to rebuilding.

McDyess is aching to get back in uniform and start winning again. Denver general manager Kiki Vandeweghe now agrees he's ready.

Vandeweghe stopped McDyess from making his comeback last week in a home game against Utah. McDyess had announced his intention to play in the game and team doctors had given him the OK. Vandeweghe stepped in and said he believed McDyess still needed more practice time to strengthen his left knee.

Vandeweghe then set Friday as a new return date. Then he wasn't so sure if setting that date was a good idea. Now he is, and he says it was McDyess' decision all along.

&quot;It's up to him,&quot; Vandeweghe said. &quot;Clearly, I think everybody in Denver would love to see Antonio back out there playing.

&quot;When I talked to him before, he sounded like he wasn't real sure of himself, and I decided he shouldn't play until he felt more confident.&quot;

McDyess said he has been ready for a week and feels certain he isn't putting too much pressure on himself to come back. He realizes there will be challenges along the way and times when his knee will beg him for mercy.

&quot;I know that's going to be part of coming back, the aching part,&quot; McDyess said. &quot;I just have to fight through that and continue to keep my confidence up and don't get down on myself.&quot;

McDyess said his weakness remains his ability to stop quickly when running, but his knee has improved dramatically in that regard. His endurance is improving, but it won't be truly tested until he plays a game.

Denver interim coach Mike Evans is sticking to the philosophy that McDyess should not start initially and will play only in 5- or 6-minute intervals at first. Eventually, McDyess will work himself into a condition where his readiness to start and play significant blocks of time will be evident.

&quot;I feel great,&quot; McDyess said. &quot;Sometimes when I'm having hard practices it causes my knee to get fatigued a little bit, but other than that I'm feeling fine and I'll be on schedule for March 1.&quot;

The experience also has taught McDyess to be a realist. He is excited to get back out there but understands he isn't going to be playing at the level he was a year ago.

That will take time.

McDyess was one of six NBA players to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds a game last season. It earned him his first All-Star Game appearance. Before suffering a dislocated left kneecap and missing the final 10 games of the season, McDyess had averaged 20.8 points and a career-best 12.1 rebounds. Only Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber and Elton Brand had similar statistics.

&quot;I know right away I won't be a big impact on the team, but at least I can give them some kind of minutes,&quot; McDyess said.

Before Thursday's trade brought veteran Juwan Howard to town, McDyess' teammates used to say a partly healthy McDyess was better than any other low-post option. That isn't true anymore with a completely healthy Howard.

Now teammates are excited to have both options. The Nuggets are likely to be transformed from an outside shooting team to a team that plays inside out.

&quot;That gets me very excited,&quot; Vandeweghe said. &quot;We're obviously a much better team with him on the court.&quot;
Old 03-04-2002, 09:55 AM   #21
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

&lt;&lt;Am I the only one who has this same feeling? I know the guys are all professionals, but, there has to be some hurt feelings show up in this game.

I don't think I even want to watch it.&gt;&gt;

Nice call on this one, Kat. All part of the fun of intradivision trades.

Now the question is whether this was a one-time thing, or if it's the beginning of a tough, very personal rivalry for the Mavericks that fans can look forward to four times a year.

Mavericks better be prepared--this one is gonna be personal for awhile, and they better toughen up, mentally and physically.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote