Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-06-2001, 05:32 PM   #1
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Here are my thoughts on the first game....

Finley likes to drive high from the wing. When he is being double teamed by the center, Bradley or Booth needs to try to position themselves for an open pass from Finley.

Dirk is really having foul problems. His first two were stupid stupid fouls. Dirk really needs to snap out of his 3 point funk, missed all 3 I think.

That Tim Duncan fella has skills. Great moves for a seven footer, even better touch.

BRADLEY BRADLEY BRADLEY, what a game, especially the first half. This was him at his best. He almost shut down Duncan when he was guarding him- it was when Juwan, Dirk and Booth were guarding him that he was like 7 for 7. I would say that Bradley outplayed Duncan one-on-one in the first. He blocked him like 5 times, got a jump ball/steal, and played some really effective defence. He had a Kareem-like little hook shot early on which was awesome. He was even diving on the floor for loose balls. Bradley should have got more time especially since Booth was off.

I don't like Danny Ferry. First of all, he looks like a nazi when he's angry. And he always has this smug look on his face. That push on Howard really annoyed me too.

Howard was just playing hard when he fouled Anderson. Why is everyone treating him like the devil???

Shawnelle Scott, Derek Anderson, Danny Ferry.... why do the Spurs get all their players from the 98 Cavs??

Best Dallas plays of the game....

1st quarter- Offensive foul drawn by Dirk, Bradley's blockS on Duncan (note plural)

2nd quarter- Nash lob pass inside to Fin, Eisley's sneaky pass inside to Fin, Circus shot by Fin off a missed shot that was a Spurs foul

2nd half- Eduardo Najera's hustle.

Our MVPs

1. Shawn Bradley
2. Michael Finley
3. Juwan Howard.... that's the way the cookie crumbles...no Anderson for the rest of the series, whether you like it or not, he was valuable.

Mavs in 7.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:57 PM   #2
scooterj5
Golden Member

I think that message made me a senior member... ooooh..
Old 05-06-2001, 08:32 PM   #3
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on becoming a senior member Scooter....well deserved.

I didn't see the game, I was partying my nuts off at Boston College, what did Ferry do to Howard?

Anderson's out 3-6 weeks, which gives us a fair shot in the series.
Old 05-06-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
scooterj5
Golden Member

After Howard 'maliciously injured' Derek Anderson, he immediately came over to say sorry and see if he was ok. Ferry gets in front of him, stops and shoves him, he was trying to start something.
Old 05-06-2001, 10:54 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

After the Anderson foul, Juwan went over to check on how bad he was hurt. Ferry shoved him back from Anderson.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 08:48 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you have to remember, we have the opportunity to immediately see an instant replay.
ferry did not, you cannot blame him for being upset with juwan.
he's protecting his teammate.
from his point of view at the time, he probably thought it was a foul with intent to injure.

what would you want the mavs players to do if it was reversed and it was finley laying on the floor?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:59 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Hey scooter - we posted the same answer at the same time. Weird.

murph asked what would you want the mavs players to do if it was reversed and it was finley laying on the floor? I'd want the same thing. Make the opposing players back off. Let the guy on the floor take his time and see if he's just stunned or really hurt. If he stands up, then let the other team check up on him. I saw no fault in what Ferry did.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 02:11 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i find no fault in what ferry did. i actually think ferry did the right thing.
i was kinda suprised that san antonio didn't react harsher than what they did. acutally, i thought san antonio was professional about it.

it wasn't a malicious foul. but it was a very stupid foul. i agree with the ejection, but... i probably wouldn't suspend him. not with the league letting karl malone slide for his cheap shot elbow to dirk's midsection. that was obvious and deliberate.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote