Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #41
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Scott Williams

REDIRK .... There are plenty of "Plan B" options out there, if this one doesnt work, and there are still about 3 wks til the trade deadline. No need to get all lathered up over Williams either way, frankly. Maybe he comes, maybe he doesnt.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2004, 09:21 PM   #42
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Scott Williams

Quote:
Originally posted by: superheadcat
from arizona republic:
"sources said that every team ahead of Dallas in the pecking order with the exception of the Los Angeles Lakers assured Williams and his agent, Arn Tellem, that they would not claim the 35-year-old center. The Lakers had expressed no interest earlier, Williams said."

maybe a strategy his agent uses to get more money out of cuban?
When we claim him we inherit his contract. He can't get more money.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #43
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
When we claim him we inherit his contract. He can't get more money.
thx.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:51 PM   #44
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I smell the Tyrone Hill thing happening all over again.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 AM   #45
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

from la times:
"The Lakers are not expected to put in a claim on Scott Williams, waived Wednesday by the Phoenix Suns, by today's deadline, according to a league source. Williams reportedly would prefer to play for the Dallas Mavericks."

i am quite curious to watch his performance.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:33 AM   #46
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

How soon do you think we will see him play if Dallas gets him?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:32 AM   #47
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Isn't today the day the 48 hr. period ends? We should know something one way or the other by the end of today.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:22 AM   #48
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Isn't today the day the 48 hr. period ends? We should know something one way or the other by the end of today.
Assuming the league office processes the claim today. They >might< wait until Monday morning (especially because it is Cuban and the Mavs).
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:18 AM   #49
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

48 hrs ends early Fri afternoon. If claimed, Williams' contract will be assigned immediately at that point to whichever team, and there will be a blurb on the AP transaction wire, plus perhaps a press conference or announcement by that team.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:34 AM   #50
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

But i doubt we see him actually play for awhile...unless its garbage time
Old 01-30-2004, 11:40 AM   #51
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
He really just needs to learn the defense. After that period of the learning curve, then I predict he will be another situational substitute player like Fortson and Bradley. I like what he brings.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #52
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
He really just needs to learn the defense. After that period of the learning curve, then I predict he will be another situational substitute player like Fortson and Bradley. I like what he brings.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooool.

He has to LEARN our defense? Hell, I thought he plays more of inside D than anyone outside Mr. Bradley ... so it´s more like he has to TEACH some before he hits the floor ....
Old 01-30-2004, 01:46 PM   #53
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

this really is a perfect alternative. I would rather have acquired Haywood via trade but this way we can keep our roster together while adding on basically what we needed to get through trade. Good situation for us and id be thrilled if it goes through.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:09 AM   #54
texasflip

texasflip is on a distinguished road

Got him
---------------------

ESPN.com news services

The Dallas Mavericks on Friday claimed veteran power forward Scott Williams off waivers and assumed his contract for the remainder of the season.

The 6-foot-10 Williams was waived by the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday. He cleared the 48-hour window for which other teams could submit claims. The Los Angeles Lakers, a team that could use a forward like Williams to help fill in for the injured Karl Malone, was a potential rival for Williams' services.

"The Lakers didn't put a claim on him," agent Arn Tellem said. "He's happy. This is what he wanted."

Williams, 35, started in 10 of his 16 games played for the Suns this season, averaging 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in 16.7 minutes. He won three NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls from 1991-93.

One of the league's worst defensive teams, the Mavericks have allowed teams to score 99.8 points -- the highest opponents' average of any NBA team.

Williams is expected to be uniform Saturday against Denver.

Dallas had an open spot on its roster and did not have to make another move.
texasflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:57 AM   #55
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Mavs' new center piece brings a lot to table

Williams could be big help as a middle man

12:58 AM CST on Saturday, January 31, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Scott Williams of 1994 would have been a tremendous addition to the Mavericks.

How much he has left in the tank in 2004 remains to be seen. But the Mavericks believe they received some much-needed insurance at the center position Friday when they claimed the 6-10, 260-pounder off waivers.

Mavericks/NBA
New center piece brings a lot to table

Scott Williams bio

Mavericks-Nuggets preview

Subscribe to our free Mavs/NBA newsletter

Mavericks Forum

More Mavericks
As far as the former Phoenix Sun is concerned, it's a dream come true.

"I can't wait to get there and start helping the Big Three-plus," Williams said Friday evening before catching a flight from Phoenix to Dallas. "I've always prided myself in playing well in the bigger games. It's going to be a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to getting nasty in the paint with those guys."

Williams, a 14-year NBA veteran, said the situation got tense for him shortly before the 5 p.m. deadline Friday for teams to claim him off waivers.

"It got a little hairy at the end with Miami," Williams said. "They showed an interest, but I have to give credit to [Phoenix general manager] Bryan Colangelo. He and my agent told Miami if they claimed me, I wasn't going to report and would start coaching for the Suns. So that worked out. My wife and I are thrilled to be coming to Dallas."

Since Williams was making the minimum salary for somebody with more than 10 years of NBA experience, the Mavericks did not have to make any moves to accommodate Williams on the roster.

They think he is a perfect fit for what they need – somebody to be a presence in the paint who has loads of playoff experience.

"We don't need a guy to trot out there 40 minutes a night," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations/assistant coach. "We need a guy who's been through some of the playoff wars and understands his place on this team.

"Hopefully he can provide us some of that punch that we need in the middle, a guy who is more of a true center."

Williams had a thumb injury early this season, but he said he is fit now and expects to be in uniform today against Denver.

Shawn Bradley is the only other true center on the roster, although Danny Fortson, Eduardo Najera and Dirk Nowitzki all have pitched in at times in the pivot. Nelson said he expects the addition of Williams – along with the return next week of Najera – to ease the burden on Nowitzki, who has logged more minutes in the paint than the coaching staff would like.

At one time, Williams was more than just a functional center. He was on the Chicago Bulls' championship teams from 1991 to '93 and was a key contributor on the last two of those. Williams also played with Bradley in Philadelphia in the mid-'90s.

"Scott's a good dude," Bradley said. "He can hit the 16-foot jump shot. He's aggressive, and he's going to go for rebounds. Plus, he's smart and been in a lot of playoff games."

Najera still not ready: The waiting is really starting to bug Eduardo Najera.

The forward will have another strength test on his left knee Monday. If his leg is at least 80 percent as strong as his right leg, he will be cleared to practice and could resume playing sometime next week. He has been out since late December.

"I'm bored out of my mind," he said. "But the last thing I want is to hurry back and be back where I was. The truth is, I skipped rehab last year, and I'm paying for it now."

Najera came back from knee surgery last season without getting the knee back to full strength.

E-mail esefko@dallasnews.com

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 01:11 PM   #56
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

ah...finally its over...lol...im still hoping for another small scale move