Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default Clippers relsease Patterson

Several sources are reporting that the Clippers have just released Patterson. I know he seems like he can be a bonehead player sometimes but the guy is tough as nails and definitely has presence defensively.

Any chance we pick him up? If so, who would we drop?

Here are some Clippers fans reaction to move:

---"WTF?? Where is the reasoning?? His game was comin along nicely; he was just getting healthy!! Was he buggin' Dunleavy THAT much? Maybe we're gonna sign Penny Hardaway or something crazy like that.... but where is the sense in this?"

---"I was shocked myself, but the fact that he was approaching the date where his contract becomes guaranteed is definitely a Clipper-type move. I would much rather have seen Powell waived, but I assume he's fully guaranteed. Patterson was a factor in the last 2 games we've won, but following each win he barely played a lick."

---"I guess....well....maybe we are just securing our position in the competition for OJ Mayo.... Blasphemy!"

---"Rube was definitely NOT my favorite Clipper, but he was a contributor and he busted his butt every time he came in the game. Yeah he missed some layups that I'm sure my 4 yr old nephew could have made blindfolded, but he killed it on the defensive end constantly."

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

The bad
Bonehead
32 or 33
Not a good 3 shooter or ft shooter

The good
Career 52% shooter from the field(very good)
6'5", plays guard or forward
Can bring some toughness

I am very disapointed at sg. I like Terry but Terry can't play both guard positions all night long and especially when Harris is hurt. He is also short at sg and lacks on defense. I am getting where i do not understand Avery as he loves Stackhouse and he doesn't like Ager or Hassell. I understand Ager gives him headaches. Eddie Jones has looked terrible. Patterson will score inside as well as outside but he is a bonehead and the Clips need him and they have alot of injuries but he was compalining nabout more time, so they probably let him go because he was causing trouble.

sg is killing us. We have no low post scorring. sg defense is killing us. Dirks man is killing us(the man he guards). I have no problem trying Patterson but we keep grabbing 32 to 35 year olds and trying them and it hasn't worked, plus our young Ager loves sitting on the bench. I do not know what to do as Avery wants Stackhouse to be the superstar also and he is killing us.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I would get him very tough guard and has low post game for a guard. Its too tough thou wit all the players we got

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
mavsgirl56

mavsgirl56 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsgirl56 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsgirl56 has a spectacular aura about

Stupid move by the Clippers. How bout the Mavs release George and sign Patterson?
mavsgirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I'm with you guys on a stupid move by the Clippers. They are loaded with injuries and Patterson is just now healthy and he can score inside and out, plus will play defense. It is almost like the Clips are unloading and calling this injury season over.

I am not sure who all is needing a good tough guard but he can be a good pick up for someone but you risk as a team, he could act up or be a bonehead but i feel his potential outweighs the risk. Utah could also try to pick him up.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I understand the move by the Clippers either. The few games I've seen he was playing well for him.

Hopefully the Mavs are considering him.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very interested.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I hated him when he was here in Portland... but we need a SG so *shrug*
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

it's true we really need a 2 guard. yet, it remains to be seen whether Coach will play a real 2 guard in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line and the game actually counts. you can't put RP on the bench and expect the ol' "Mavs chemistry" to sort it out. RP isn't that type of player. he's not Eddie Jones.

anyways, my point is really this: we need a bigger 2, who plays both ways. BUT we need zone-busting shooters. every team knows that you beat Dallas by going zone in the fourth period; AJ puts in terry and harris, and Dallas loses the game on the defensive end.

okay. i'm just complaining and feelng sorry for our team. i'll stop.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

we need a tough guy in our backcourt. make it happen cuban.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Often outspoken and erratic, Patterson was temporarily suspended from the Trail Blazers in the 2005-2006 season for speaking harshly at coach Nate McMillan and refusing to return to a game, upset about his lack of playing time. Patterson later explained his outburst, saying he was frustrated and it was "like the devil hit me and told me to get it out".[1] He also demanded that he get at least 25 minutes per game or be traded

Patterson has been involved in a number of off-the-court issues during his basketball career. Patterson must register himself as a sex offender in the state where he lives due to pleading guilty in 2001 to attempted rape of his child's nanny in September 2000.[4] It was reported that he forced the nanny to perform a sex act on him.[4][5] In February 2001, Patterson was convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking a man who scratched his car outside a Cleveland, Ohio night club. Patterson was arrested in 2002 for felony domestic abuse charges on his wife. His wife later dropped the charges and they later divorced.
wikipedia
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I like the idea of adding Patterson. Like others have said, we need some toughness and identity in our backcourt and I think this may be a viable option to help out that area of our game.

The real question is who would we release? I love having George around because I know what he can contribute to a team when healthy, but I'm thinking he would have to be the one to go.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i like the idea of having a convicted sex offender on the team. Makes the mavs seem more scary and threatning. DO THIS deal

Often outspoken and erratic, Patterson was temporarily suspended from the Trail Blazers in the 2005-2006 season for speaking harshly at coach Nate McMillan and refusing to return to a game, upset about his lack of playing time. Patterson later explained his outburst, saying he was frustrated and it was "like the devil hit me and told me to get it out".[1] He also demanded that he get at least 25 minutes per game or be traded

Patterson has been involved in a number of off-the-court issues during his basketball career. Patterson must register himself as a sex offender in the state where he lives due to pleading guilty in 2001 to attempted rape of his child's nanny in September 2000.[4] It was reported that he forced the nanny to perform a sex act on him.[4][5] In February 2001, Patterson was convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking a man who scratched his car outside a Cleveland, Ohio night club. Patterson was arrested in 2002 for felony domestic abuse charges on his wife. His wife later dropped the charges and they later divorced.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Patterson is one of the few players I just do not want on the Mavs.

One of the Mgmt team of a few years back - I think Nellie - called him as dumb as a box of rocks. This team doesn't need anymore rock heads, it seems to have enough already.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
i like the idea of having a convicted sex offender on the team. Makes the mavs seem more scary and threatning. DO THIS deal.

Hey, if the Mavs signed him he would probably instantly be the toughest on-the-ball defender we have. He hustles and has energy (which we've been lacking lately) and he's an in-your-face kind of player.

I don't agree with some of the guy's off the court antics either, but if he can help this team get that damn trophy once and for all then I'm all about taking the chance.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take the chance even though as even Nelson once said, Patterson is "as dumb as a box of rocks."

He is a hustler on the court (and apparently off court as well).
Old 12-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
I'm not sure I understand the move by the Clippers either. The few games I've seen he was playing well for him.
http://www.clipsnation.com/story/2007/12/13/14446/574

"With the roster sitting at the maximum 15 and Patterson carrying the only non-guaranteed contract, the move is entirely about roster flexibility (Patterson's contract would have become guaranteed this Saturday). And say what you will about Clipper management, the fact that they got Ruben agree to come to LA and play without any guarantees was a pretty shrewd move. If it worked out (and early in the season it looked like it would), that's great. But with the team having lost 13 of their last 17, the benefit of carrying a veteran like Patterson is short term, while the thinking has to be long term. The fact that so much of the team's limited offensive arsenal (Cassell, Mobley, Maggette not to mention Brand and Livingston) has spent all or part of the season hurt makes a one-dimensional defender like Patterson less appealing. He's valuable in situations, like guarding Ron Artest - but the Clippers need more shooters on the floor in every game, and he can't shoot."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The last time we took a gamble at going after a guy considered a "locker room killer" was NVE.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I'm all for letting go of George for Rube. Great idea mavsgirl

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
I'm all for letting go of George for Rube. Great idea mavsgirl
That's definitely a possibility but with George on the floor opponents at least have to pay attention to him when behind the three point line. How much would Patterson negatively affect our offense in a half-court game? He can definitely slash to the basket but his passing skills and offensive awareness aren't good enough to consistently find the open man.

Still, George hasn't been getting much PT and he just doesn't seem to have that hustle to him anymore, possibly because of injury purposes.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
The last time we took a gamble at going after a guy considered a "locker room killer" was NVE.
The question is whether we have an antidote for these players, or we are just getting lucky at Russian Roulette.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote