Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Put me down as disappointed.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2002, 08:22 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

doc, the mavs only need to add one player..an inside presence..sure, it'd be nice to add a slashing three as well...

but they can make a move via trade or free agency after the draft
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

I was hoping for a trade tonight. Oh well.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well..i'm interested to find out what the mavs roster is going to look like next year..., but, i guess we'll have to wait
Old 06-26-2002, 08:30 PM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Kurt Thomas, NVE trade is still a possibility. Notice that the Knicks did not include any of the proposed players in the deal for McDyess. In fact, doesn't the arrival of Dice signal that the Knicks feel like Thomas isn't the long term answer at PF? They also did not address their PG situation.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:31 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

That trade just doesn't really excite me.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:32 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

it is still a possibility..but i would think they'd like to have mcdyess AND thomas together..
Old 06-26-2002, 08:32 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

that trade might not be one of the more glamorous moves made today..but it would excite the hell out of me
Old 06-26-2002, 08:36 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Check that note about the Knicks PG situation, they just picked up Frank Williams.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:46 PM   #10
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

I was kinda relieved not to see the Mavs in the first round. Don't think we're a team in need of raw rookie talent right now. Glad Cubes and Nellie agreed.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:47 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

I was expecting a NVE trade and was excited about who we might get i nreturn. Stern just announced a trade and said that it would by far not be the last announced tonight, so I still have hope.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

well I am pissed that the Mavs didn't do anything. This draft sucked.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Thankfully, we have a kick ass team.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2002, 10:14 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

the off season is far from over
Old 06-26-2002, 10:15 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Yep. let the FA signings and trades begin.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:37 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Put me down as very happy that the Mavs didn't do anything crazy tonight. The moves that need to be made are in free agency and via trade, not through the draft.

Old 06-27-2002, 08:43 AM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I was kind of hoping that they could move up into the 20s and select a backup PG. That would've seemed to've been the easiest, least risky move they could've made. Instead, nothing.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:44 AM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that the Mavs will make a big move right after the 1st.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

i agree kg...mffl
Old 06-27-2002, 08:58 AM   #19
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Thomas-Ward for NVE would improve us defensively and give more options. Even if Ward isn't the greatest, we still have AJ on the bench that can play 10 solid minutes a game, if we can keep him healthy for the playoffs, that is a nice asset.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:03 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

i wholeheartedly agree
Old 06-27-2002, 09:05 AM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not interested in Ward, he doesn't play the Mavs kind of game. I think the Mavs are trying to get a third team involved so they don't have to take one of the Knicks retread point guards.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:06 AM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Ward doesn't excite me much any more. If we can't get Williams, I don't do the deal...
Old 06-27-2002, 09:24 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

kg, if the mavs don't address their interior defensive needs..we'll be asking the same questions next year.

i'd trade thomas for NVE straight up... Thomas addresses the needs of the mavs... NVE does not.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:31 AM   #24
Drbio
Banned

I think you can get more than just Thomas for NVE.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:35 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

than just thomas...hmm,,interesting.

once again..i'd have to say you're overrating NVE and his importance to this mavs team

other teams know that he doesn't fit into the mavs situation. He doesn't exactly have a friendly contract either.
He's considered a bit of a selfish guy and a guy that looks for his shot before he looks to make players on his team better.

to get a relatively young PF/C that can hit the jumper, play around the glass, play defense, and rebound...plus get a serviceable backup PG (although i'd want to see the mavs try and pick someone up with the exception)...you'd have to pull the trigger

Old 06-27-2002, 09:44 AM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Grossly overrating Thomas here, IMO.

He's 6.7 1/2, average-to-below-average shotblocker, and will NOT significantly upgrade Mavs' interior defense.

His career offensive performance (which was mediocre at best) came in a year with the Knicks in total disarray. He only put up his best numbers when there were no other options, and no chance to win.

No way Thomas for NVE is getting the most out of NVE as a trade asset.

Ward adds a little, but even so, I'd still look to package NVE and get a better return.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:47 AM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< kg, if the mavs don't address their interior defensive needs..we'll be asking the same questions next year. >>

Rejecting this trade doesn't mean the Mavs are refusing to address needs.

<< i'd trade thomas for NVE straight up... Thomas addresses the needs of the mavs... NVE does not >>

You'd be in the minority.

<< than just thomas...hmm,,interesting.

once again..i'd have to say you're overrating NVE and his importance to this mavs team

other teams know that he doesn't fit into the mavs situation. He doesn't exactly have a friendly contract either.
He's considered a bit of a selfish guy and a guy that looks for his shot before he looks to make players on his team better.

to get a relatively young PF/C that can hit the jumper, play around the glass, play defense, and rebound...plus get a serviceable backup PG (although i'd want to see the mavs try and pick someone up with the exception)...you'd have to pull the trigger
>>

If the Thomas/Ward for NVE deal were such a no-brainer, the poll wouldn't have been so close. And I'm one of the people who voted for the trade...I'm changing my vote to against, so long as Ward is the other piece involved.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:50 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

KG, of course if you can pick up Kandi in free agency, you do that...

however, if that cannot be accomplished...of if you cannot pick up someone comparable in free agency, you have to make that move
Old 06-27-2002, 09:53 AM   #29
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

He's 6.7 1/2, average-to-below-average shotblocker, and will NOT significantly upgrade Mavs' interior defense.

His career offensive performance (which was mediocre at best) came in a year with the Knicks in total disarray. He only put up his best numbers when there were no other options, and no chance to win.

No way Thomas for NVE is getting the most out of NVE as a trade asset.

This is so, so, so, so true... The only reason why I think the trade would help though is
1. The Mavs would be attemptingi to address their issues. A strong body on their front line and rebounding.

Now could they do better YES, but this atleast makes an attempt to address the issue somewhat. Also if Ward gets thrown in, then you have a backup point guard who is a pretty good defender.

Do I think this gets the most out of Van Exel, no I DO NOT think it does, but if that's the only concrete offer you have without having to give up your entire team, then I say do it.

Old 06-27-2002, 09:57 AM   #30
TheKid
Diamond Member

However to say we're over valuing NVE that same philosophy can be used when talking about Thomas, I think you're overrating him.

Putting aside Van Exel's shooting percentage, his other numbers are NOT that bad for his ENTIRE CAREER.. Yes he's not the greatest defensive player, but neither is Thomas. Ward is a better defender but as I said you lose something. Ward can't distribute the ball as well as Van Exel and he SURELY can't score like Van Exel can. However like I said the other day, I'll sacrafice points to get rebounding which is really what you're doing if you do this trade and at the same time you still have a servicable backup.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:05 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

He is a significant upgrade defensively

and if your PG is a poor shooter that looks to shoot first, a horrible shooting percentage is a HUGE issue.

if ya'll want to continue to over value what the guy means to the mavs..that's fine

the mavs might have to take less than what the perceived trade value of NVE in order to upgrade this team
Old 06-27-2002, 10:30 AM   #32
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< He (KT) is a significant upgrade defensively >>

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think so--how many games have you seen him play over the last 2-3 years? How many last year even?

And over whom (currently on the Mavs) is he an upgrade? He's never averaged 1 block per game, although he came close last year.

If judging on the basis of his production last year as a NYK with starter's minutes, what suggests that he will be a (happy) productive bench performer?

Advocacy of him might be interesting at least, if fleshed out with more than naked ass-
ertion.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:34 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

probably 15 games or so in the past couple of years..

KT will instantly move into the starting lineup. No, he isn't a big time shot blocker but the mavs already have a decent amount of good shot blockers.

it is conceivable that Raef could play 25-30 minutes off of the bench
Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 AM   #34
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

If Thomas is acquired in this deal, the rotation will look like this (assuming no other moves):

Raef - Bradley
Thomas - Najera
Dirk - Griffin
Finley - TAW
Nash - Ward

I can live with that, although I'd much prefer to acquire Kandi (man, that's gotta happen...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )
Old 06-27-2002, 10:51 AM   #35
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I've seen KT play at least 50-60 times over the last 3 years.

He is not starter talent on a championship team. You are a Layden replica.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:53 AM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

well, apparently my views aren't too far off base... there's more than enough local and national media that agrees with my opinion to where your insults are way off base
Old 06-27-2002, 10:57 AM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< I've seen KT play at least 50-60 times over the last 3 years.

He is not starter talent on a championship team. You are a Layden replica.
>>

I think he's good enough to be the 5th best starter for Dallas.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:59 AM   #38
Drbio
Banned

That is all we need him to be.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:31 PM   #39
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

LOL...

well, but even Mantis can be the 5th best starter.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:41 PM   #40
TheKid
Diamond Member

I've seen him play a TON and he would probably be an upgrade defensively, however after watching our defense in the playoffs, that really isn't saying much at all. He's physical and he can rebound, NO he won't be blocking many shots at all.

However the interesting fact is this, I hear you (Murph) diminish Van Exel's numbers from him playing in Denver and say it's because he didn't have talent around him, or because he had free reign, whatever the case may be. Kurt's BEST SEASON was last year when he was with a fledgling Knicks team and he was the ONLY big man who was healthy the entire season. His best season wasn't GREAT by any stretch of the imagination either. How come I don't hear you taking into consideration that he may have been a product of a team that was terrible also the same way you value Van Exel's production.

Lastly, NO ONE is over valuing Van Exel. Van Exel is very tradeable and you can get a lot for hom. The problem with Van Exel was everyone was worried about his attitude which made teams afraid of his contract. Any guy who can realistically start on just about ANY TEAM in the NBA is NOT being over valued. Yes his shooting percentage is pretty bad but there was a point guard out there who shot pretty bad himself last year and it only got his team to the finals and MVP of the NBA... Some how those percentages just didn't seem to matter as much when his team was stacking up the W's.