Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-14-2001, 10:03 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Here's hoping the Spurs go on to humiliate the Lakers, and then lose to the Sixers in the Finals. I don't think I could possibly root for them now, especially after being exposed to so many of their loser "fans" in person and over the Net.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2001, 10:03 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa this was a weird double-post!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:23 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer a team like The Bucks or Hornets to win. I dislike Iverson and his gangsta attitude.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:24 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

weird double post, eh? Are you sure you're not padding your post numbers? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2001, 10:44 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'll still pull for the Spurs. My grandma would kill me if I didn't. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:08 PM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'm with you DJ, now I want the Sixers too.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:03 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i wish no success for allan iverson in basketball
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 08:13 PM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The sixers should be punished for trading away good young prospects for the only NBA player eligible for social security.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 11:09 PM   #9
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Good for you murphy, nobody cares...IVERSON#3, 2001 NBA Most Valuable Player.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:23 AM   #10
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

MFFL what do you mean by gangsta attitude? Personally I would let a gangsta attitude for Iverson slide, because he actually came from the ghetto. Unlike Kobe who calls himself a thug. I just don't understand why you judge Iverson on traditional white-middle-class standards, because they are irrelevant.

And, Murphy, whatever you reckon. I would like to see you actually survive Iverson's situation, let alone become a self-made millionaire.

Someone who did what Iverson did earns my respect......
Old 05-16-2001, 07:24 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

I just don't understand why you judge Iverson on traditional white-middle-class standards, because they are irrelevant. scooter - this is one of the problems with the internet. You don't know me. I was raised in a situation almost as poor as Iverson. But when I finally got to be "middle-class", I had respect for people. I don't bash homosexuals. I don't hang out with thugs in the off-season. I just dislike Iverson.

let alone become a self-made millionaire. Iverson has God-given talent to play basketball, that is considerably different than being "self-made".
Old 05-16-2001, 11:37 AM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

MFFL, Your first statement I agree with you can't assume or judge anything about anyone. However saying Iverson had a god given talent is false. You don't think he had to work to get to the level he's at? I seriously doubt if he didn't put in many hours of playing etc. etc. he would not be where he's at right now. There are a lot of players who have talent, but if they don't work at their games, they go no where.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:51 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

Hey Rob. I never suggested that Iverson hasn't worked to earn his way to stardom. But there are many more players who have worked just as hard who cannot make it. Therefore his success is primarily through genetic good fortune. And I hardly call being good at basketball making yourself a self-made millionaire. But that's my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:54 PM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

True, but the reason why I feel he's a self made millionaire is because it's not something that the average joe blow can go out and do. There definately is some good luck or as you say good genes there, but I think a lot of it has to do with the effort and putting himself in a place to perform.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:27 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

Your explanation of a self-made millionaire is cool with me. I personally reserve the term for someone like Cuban - an average guy who succeeds by hard work and good ideas. I will even extend my definition to Jordan because he worked so hard to market himself (build a Jordan brand so to speak).
Old 05-16-2001, 03:19 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

OK, I see where you're coming from. However I will say this though, and PLEASE don't take this as a personal attack towards you because it's not. Just in my experiences with talking to people at work and through my career a lot of people REALLY dislike the fact that a lot of people like Iverson are rich because they think he's a punk. etc. etc. It's mostly middle class white men because they feel they're more intelligent, they feel they've worked harder and here's a guy who they feel has been "gifted" is rich because he can play basketball. They don't like that fact and they dislike him because of it. I don't begrudge anyone like that at all.

Like I said, I don't think that's you because you could be a black man for all I know. Just something you said reminded of what I debate with people at work when we're talking basketball. So as I said, I'm NOT attacking you so please don't take it that way.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:37 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

just so you know, MFFL, you're talking with thekid, not Rob, damn changing icons...
Old 05-16-2001, 03:47 PM   #18
scooterj5
Golden Member

I had respect for people. I don't bash homosexuals. I don't hang out with thugs in the off-season

Iverson has got respect, just not on the court.

Bash homosexuals- Was this in his rhymes (by the way 'last night is his good one) because saying 'f--- you fags' or something does not mean he bashes gay people, it just means 'death to my enemies.'

Hang out with thugs- they were his friends. Would you sell out on your friends?

Old 05-16-2001, 03:53 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

scooter, "fag" is a derogatory term for homosexuals. "F--- you, fags" is definitely bashing homosexuals.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:54 PM   #20
scooterj5
Golden Member

Hey Rob. I never suggested that Iverson hasn't worked to earn his way to stardom. But there are many more players who have worked just as hard who cannot make it. Therefore his success is primarily through genetic good fortune. And I hardly call being good at basketball making yourself a self-made millionaire.

Who was worked harder than Iverson , and through harder circumstances.

In case you haven't realised every millionaire has genetic talent, and if you hold that against them then you are just being jealous.

Why isn't Iverson a self-made millionaire exactly? Does he have to have some software company or something? If there was a top technical position at work that paid 8 million per year would this person be a self-made milionaire?

And what makes basketball less of a profession? Basketball helps a lot of people do something other than drugs in the dirt poor neighbourhoods. I don't see woftware companies doing anything like that.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:59 PM   #21
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooter, "fag" is a derogatory term for homosexuals. "F--- you, fags" is definitely bashing homosexuals.

Yes but you have to understand the context.
Old 05-16-2001, 04:29 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

context or not, scooter, it's a bash. people aren't going to hear that and say, "oh, he means death to my enemies."
Old 05-16-2001, 06:47 PM   #23
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Why can't he just say "Death to my Enemies"?
Old 05-16-2001, 06:51 PM   #24
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

How about, "A Pox on Your Children, Miscreant"?
Old 05-16-2001, 07:09 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

scooter - Again I have to say that other people's definiton of a self-made millionaire is cool with me. It's just not my definition. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2001, 02:57 AM   #26
scooterj5
Golden Member

What is your definition of a self made millionaire??

Old 05-17-2001, 08:47 AM   #27
MFFL
Guru

I already posted it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2001, 08:59 AM   #28
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

LOL, mavinator! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2001, 02:24 AM   #29
scooterj5
Golden Member

Okay I had a look at your definition "I personally reserve the term for someone like Cuban - an average guy who succeeds by hard work and good ideas."

No offence but this does not make sense. Iverson had a good idea and worked hard. I don't do economics but I know that if you are incredibly talented and you are prepared to work hard on your talent, then go for it.

Now you tell me if you were in Iverson's shoes, which is the good idea:

1. Play the game you love, get to Georgetown on a scholarship because of it, and get paid mega-millions for it.

2. Try to start up an IT business, but fail because of the lack of computer knowledge in the ghetto.

Iverson fits both of your criteria of 'hard work' and having a 'good idea.' Iverson was not helped by his poor situation, surely Iverson still could have done it if he was 'normal' like Cuban was.
Old 05-18-2001, 08:59 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

scooter - It's the average Joe part of it to me. I cannot comprehend the talent that Iverson has therefore it is hard to FOR ME to give him proper credit. I am also unused to people using the term "self-made" to describe an employee. Most people use the term "self-made" for someone who is an entrepreneur. Someone who risks his all on a venture, without the safety net of being an employee and being able to shift a portion of the blame to others. Look at most NBA players, only a very few are stand-up guys. If the team loses - it's because it's a team sport. If the team wins - everyone wants credit. And if Iverson has a bad day he still gets a paycheck. Most "self-made" men can lose a lot of money (maybe all) when they have a bad day.

That's the reason I mentioned Jordan in the 2nd part of my description. He wasn't an employee when he started up his clothing line, etc and started to market himself.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:04 PM   #31
scooterj5
Golden Member

Everyone who makes millions is talented (unless it's lotto) but Iverson isn't just talented. If he was a lazy talented player he would be like Harold Miner or Derrick Coleman.

Can't you see that Iverson did risk it all by concentrating on basketball? If he failed he would have had to gone back to the hood.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:00 PM   #32
MFFL
Guru

I'm sorry but I'm going to stick with my definition. If that's allright with you.
Old 05-18-2001, 08:30 PM   #33
scooterj5
Golden Member

I don't see why you can't debate with me, you obviously have time to make five hundred posts a day
Old 05-19-2001, 12:34 AM   #34
MFFL
Guru

scooter - I don't see any way we can resolve our differences about this subject. You have your definition and I have mine. I'm not going to convert you to my way of thinking and you're not going to convert me. Why do you want to continue a pointless argument?

And the reason that I make 500 posts a day is because I don't sleep but a couple of hours a night. Since I hate TV, I spend a lot of time goofing off on the internet (love my cable modem). I LIKE the Mavs and I'm excited about them so I spend a little extra time here. But I also research other interests, track my portfolio, and send off 20-30 emails a night. I have a busy full life (I go boating two to three times a week), but it's boring sitting around the house when everyone else is asleep.

Don't worry. I'll lose interest in this site in a week or so and I probably won't be back until the season starts (I might post a few times during the draft or if we make a big trade or free agent signing).

I'm not trying to be an ass, I just don't want to continue this discussion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2001, 08:02 AM   #35
scooterj5
Golden Member

Okay let's never speak of it again