Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-09-2022, 05:45 AM   #1
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold
Default The J.Kidd is (a) great (coach) thread.

There is really no J.Kidd thread?

I did not like his hire at first.
Still remember the wife beater and drunk driving days. And you heard bad things about his coaching style at his former stops.

But man he won me over.
Nice interviews and pressers. He appears calm, composed and witty!
And he is perfekt for Luka and for the team’s defense mindset.
He already made a lot of players better and team appears tight knit.

And he is outcoaching the opposing coaches in these play offs.

Last edited by Lestat_1795; 05-09-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 AM   #2
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn’t a fan of the hire at the time. I thought it was an effort by Cuban to try and put a familiar face and a fan favorite amid all the allegations going on with the front office. Appears Kidd has learned a few things since his previous HC stints. Players seem to like playing for him, and him and his staff have done a fantastic job this season. Even if we lose this series (which I still expect to happen) this season has still been a huge success.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

best things about Kidd so far

- getting team to buy into team defense mentality - imagine what could happen if we add some more quality defenders?
- not being afraid to tinker with line up changes and giving guys time to play during the regular season so you know what works and doesn't work, and so that guys have a chance to develop (if you're trying out something for the first time in the playoffs out of desperation, it's usually too late)
- i also thought that he was being brought in more for his name and reputation, but let's face it - he does have a name and reputation as a HOF player. hopefully he can bring some of the following to the players from his playing days:

1. as a HOF pg he hopefully/rightfully will have Luka's ear but also know there are times when the coach has to trust his pg.
2. J Kidd was an oustanding defender even into his later years with us - so smart on and off the ball. How much of what he sees and knows of players can he coach his guys to do?
3. Started off as a pretty lousy shooter but really came to be a knockdown 3 point shooter in his run with us. Gives me hope even as we have seen DFS blossom and have hopes for the likes of J Green or Frankie.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat_1795 View Post
There is really no J.Kidd thread?

I did not like his hire at first.
Still remember the wife beater and drunk driving days. And you heard bad things about his coaching style at his former stops.

But man he won me over.
Nice interviews and pressers. He appears calm, composed and witty!
And he is perfekt for Luka and for the team’s defense mindset.
He already made a lot of players better and team appears tight knit.

And he is outcoaching the opposing coaches in these play offs.
Look, Kidd is was no saint. More than likely committed some of the acts as he pleaded guilty. Who's to say that wasn't more of an action to cease proceedings and move on from the situation? Everyone talks about that but gives no credit to the divorce proceedings which did not paint Joumanna in a great light. Obviously both sides try to save face, I get it, but she genuinely sounds crazy per some of the accused acts. Did Kidd's early career transgressions drive her to brink insanity? Sure, but it doesn't seem like she was all there, at least in the latter years. Some creepy stories and allegations unfolded that make me question the beginning of their story at least. But hey, both parties have long since moved on. I just think it unfair for someone to be painted as a spousal abuser when there's much more to the story. Big time Amber Heard vibes looking back through that history. I was much too young and pre-occupied to know any better when it all occurred.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:36 PM   #5
JTmoney2424

JTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of light

Great coaches don’t start Dwight Powell. Anyone is better than this stiff. Let’s see if he keeps making the same mistake on game 6.
JTmoney2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:38 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmoney2424 View Post
Great coaches don’t start Dwight Powell. Anyone is better than this stiff. Let’s see if he keeps making the same mistake on game 6.
Great GMs don’t leave their coach with Powell, Kleber and an unplayable Boban
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #7
JTmoney2424

JTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
At this point, Chriss is a better option. Not that he’s some great option but anyone else can’t be as bad as Powell has been. He’s unplayable.
JTmoney2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Despite this, Kidd should recognize that Kleber simply plays Ayton better and can provide spacing from the start versus off the bench. The actual game minutes reflect this, so at this point, Powell is a starter just by name or virtue. A slow start didn't bite them last night, but it absolutely did in games 1-2. We can argue home versus away, but if you give a team like the Suns a similar start in game 6, you can kiss the season goodbye.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #9
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmoney2424 View Post
At this point, Chriss is a better option. Not that he’s some great option but anyone else can’t be as bad as Powell has been. He’s unplayable.
Good chance that Chriss gets suspended for going up the tunnel after Biyombo.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:46 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I despised the Kidd hire at first. I thought he was a proven failure as a HC and Cuban was pulling a Jerry Jones and just hiring someone he liked.

But goddamn if Kidd hasn't done a hell of a job this year. Seriously, beyond my wildest expectations. I'm still tempering my long term expectations, because we've seen coaches have a great year or two and then flame out fast. There was a time when we all thought Avery Johnson was the next great, legendary coach.

But credit where it's due. Jason Kidd has been fantastic so far.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:25 AM   #11
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I too am hoping that Kidd isn't responsible for a 1-3 year bump in defensive effort before flaming out like the Little General. He generally seems more steady and composed than Avery was, so here's to hoping he makes a long-lasting impact.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I despised the Kidd hire at first. I thought he was a proven failure as a HC and Cuban was pulling a Jerry Jones and just hiring someone he liked.

But goddamn if Kidd hasn't done a hell of a job this year. Seriously, beyond my wildest expectations. I'm still tempering my long term expectations, because we've seen coaches have a great year or two and then flame out fast. There was a time when we all thought Avery Johnson was the next great, legendary coach.

But credit where it's due. Jason Kidd has been fantastic so far.
I think the more level headed reality is that there just aren't many good coaches right now. I mean, my god, Sacramento just hired Mike Brown. It was between him and Mark Jackson. Yikes. And who knows who the Lakers will hire.

We got lucky.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:59 AM   #13
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Kidd gets overall credit for what has been accomplished, but during games, he still makes some headscratching decisions. I am more inclined to give the majority of the coaching credit and successful adjustments we see between games to the assistant coaches. However. Kidd is still responsible for listening and approving staff recommendations.

In this respect, he's been a very good manager of the coaching staff. I'm still underwhelmed about him as an outright coach himself strategically. Still, a welcome upgrade from the overrated Carlisle.

Last edited by turin; 05-15-2022 at 05:05 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
Boltback

Boltback has a spectacular aura aboutBoltback has a spectacular aura about

He’s a great example of coaching learning from their previous experiences to become a better coach.
Boltback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd coached his ass off in game 7 especially. Listening in live while he orchestrated the defensive possession from the ESPN feed was incredible. His instruction and intensity is why there's a massive defensive improvement with many of the same players from carlisle era.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd is great, but Luka is greater. Both are true.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #17
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd Mic'd up.
Watch with audio on

https://streamable.com/4czf0w
Old 05-15-2022, 10:51 PM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
Kidd Mic'd up.
Watch with audio on

https://streamable.com/4czf0w
Yea. Incredible. Flashback to 2011 communication and defensive intensity.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:54 PM   #19
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Do we have the best head coach, GM, and player? Seriously, what a season! I'm excited for what we're going to do after we win the title this year! Yes, I believe!
Old 05-16-2022, 12:11 AM   #20
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

One thing that I think has gone unnoticed is Kidd made every game doing the regular season feel like it mattered.

He played most of his rotation big minutes down the stretch of the season which i think conditioned their legs for the playoffs.

I think that was a very subtle decision he made that sort of flew of the radar. He made them fight through fatigue in preparation of the playoffs possibly knowing this team wasn't deep so they needed their top 5-6 guys capable of playing big time minutes.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:08 AM   #21
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

It seems pretty obvious now that Cuban hired this Sportsology dude, who told him to hire Nico, and Nico said to hire Kidd. Hiring Kidd is up there with drafting Luka and Brunson as reasons why the Mavs beat the best team in the league. Drafting Luka of course is the main reason.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #22
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Kidd gets overall credit for what has been accomplished, but during games, he still makes some headscratching decisions. I am more inclined to give the majority of the coaching credit and successful adjustments we see between games to the assistant coaches. However. Kidd is still responsible for listening and approving staff recommendations.

In this respect, he's been a very good manager of the coaching staff. I'm still underwhelmed about him as an outright coach himself stra
tegically. Still, a welcome upgrade from the overrated Carlisle.

This comment sure didn't age very well. Lol. No problem here. I hope Kidd continues to correct me.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
This comment sure didn't age very well. Lol. No problem here. I hope Kidd continues to correct me.
I'm right there with you man. This is the second time Jason Kidd has made me eat crow. Aside from hating his hiring as HC, I HATED when we traded Devin Harris for him. I thought that destroyed our title chances. But then 2011 happened, and he was absolutely integral to that title win.

Crow is absolutely delicious when it means the Mavs winning.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #24
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'm right there with you man. This is the second time Jason Kidd has made me eat crow. Aside from hating his hiring as HC, I HATED when we traded Devin Harris for him. I thought that destroyed our title chances. But then 2011 happened, and he was absolutely integral to that title win.

Crow is absolutely delicious when it means the Mavs winning.
It goes down a lot easier with a nice winning wine. I had mine with Bullock and his long slump.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #25
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Kidd coached his ass off in game 7 especially. Listening in live while he orchestrated the defensive possession from the ESPN feed was incredible. His instruction and intensity is why there's a massive defensive improvement with many of the same players from carlisle era.
Yeah. I got goosebumps watching that.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote