Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-13-2003, 11:46 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default What do you think of Pedro Martinez?

Hitting a 70+ old man?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What do you think of Pedro Martinez?

He didn't "hit" Zimmer. He grabbed him by his head and threw him to the ground. What was he supposed to do? Let the guy come up and hit him?

I say kudos to Martinez.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i think Pedro did the right thing..he had to protect himself..but, he could have slugged zimmer in the face or something. He simply shoved/threw him out of the way
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

I wouldnt quite say "kudos" to him, but what else could he do? All I seen was Pedro protecting himself, and u2 is right he did not "hit" Zimmer. Zimmer and just about everyone else knew that he(Zimmer) was in the wrong in what he did, taking a swing at Pedro like that.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:20 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: QCarFan
I wouldnt quite say "kudos" to him, but what else could he do? All I seen was Pedro protecting himself, and u2 is right he did not "hit" Zimmer. Zimmer and just about everyone else knew that he(Zimmer) was in the wrong in what he did, taking a swing at Pedro like that.
Well, I hate the Yankees. So double kudos to him.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Pedro is a young athlete, he could have easily evaded Zimmer.
Instead he chose to save face and cowardly chose to throw a 70+ year old man to the ground.
He's a great pitcher but he has no respect for his elders.
And I hate the Yankees btw.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:25 AM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Pedro is a young athlete, he could have easily evaded Zimmer.
Instead he chose to save face and cowardly chose to throw a 70+ year old man to the ground.
He's a great pitcher but he has no respect for his elders.
And I hate the Yankees btw.
Yeah.. that would be great. The pitching leader of the club running away from a 70 year old man swinging at him.

This is the damn playoffs..... You don't act like a sissy in the playoffs.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:39 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i agree..you don't "run" away from him...hell, he could have injured his hammy or something.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:47 AM   #9
QCarFan
Golden Member

couldnt agree more with the last two posts, run away? surely you cannot be serious, and if he run then what? the 70+ year old man comes after him again? zimmer had no business taking a shot at pedro like that, i think thats the general consensus among people. you cannot excuse zimmers actions with that, he was in the wrong. thats the bottomline, pedro had to protect himself. on the replay it shows, zimmer running right towards pedro, and pedro was all alone. the guy had to protect himself, i see nothing wrong with what he did honestly
Old 10-14-2003, 12:53 AM   #10
Rod1975
Golden Member

Did I say "run"?!

I said "evade"

There is a difference.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:56 AM   #11
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Did I say "run"?!

I said "evade"

There is a difference.
Do you think Zimmer would've stopped coming after him if he Ole'd him? I think Pedro did what he needed to do. He didn't injure the guy he just made it to where Zimmer was not a threat.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 AM   #12
QCarFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Quote:
Did I say "run"?!

I said "evade"

There is a difference.
Do you think Zimmer would've stopped coming after him if he Ole'd him? I think Pedro did what he needed to do. He didn't injure the guy he just made it to where Zimmer was not a threat.
agree with you completely there
Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 AM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I'm sorry. I typed too quickly. I meant "throwing" down a 70 year old man. Personally, I think its horrible. Pedro could have easily defended himself without hurting the old guy. If a 10 year old kid would come up to him and try to harass him, would he have the justification to throw them down too? Another reason why I hate baseball and baseball players. I shouldn't generalize but this doesn't give me any reason to cheer for baseball at all.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

uh, he put him to the ground. i don't think it was done with much force, and it could have been a lot worse. there's really no argument here. zimmer was in the wrong, pedro was defending himself. 70 years old or not, if someone is charging you, you have to do something about it.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:30 AM   #15
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Zimmer apologized, so obviously he doesn't blame Pedro at all for retaliating. You have to understand, in 1955 Zimmer was hit in the head by a ball and still has a metal plate in his head to this day because of it. This is why he was so angry at the fact that Pedro pitched it really high.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:34 AM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

It's not like he pulled a Kermit Washington.

Is it lost that an assistant coach attacked a player? This guy is an assistant coach, he's not a player. I have never seen an assistant coach or manager confront a player of the opposite team in a bench clearing brawl. A 72 year old man with a plate in his head was dumb enough to attack a professional athlete who threw him to the ground. Pedro could have done much worse.

Pedro did what anybody would have done. If the Red Sox had been playing for any other team, no one would care, but since it is the Yankees, it is a national travesty.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Zimmer apologized, so obviously he doesn't blame Pedro at all for retaliating. You have to understand, in 1955 Zimmer was hit in the head by a ball and still has a metal plate in his head to this day because of it. This is why he was so angry at the fact that Pedro pitched it really high.
Fanatik- Zimmer doesn't have a metal plate in his head. When he was injured, the doctors back then drilled three holes into his skull to reduce the swelling. They used a synthetic mesh to cover them up. During the Sox-Yanks Game Four they talked about it. I remember reading about this years ago. If I can find something on it I will pass it on.

BTW....Zimmer was at fault here. Pedro did nothing more than he should have to protect himself. He could have hurt Zim had he had any inclination to do so.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #18
cin

cin is on a distinguished road

Pedro was fined $ 50,000
Zimmer was fined $ 5,000
But it would have been impossible for Pedro to even touch the crazy old coot if Zimmer hadn't charged him.
Therefore I think the fines are reversed.

I was at a wedding in CT, and after the reception we went to the bride's parents house,and were watching the game. As you can imagine we had Sox and Yankees fans there.

It was metioned Torre should keep Zimmer on a leash. Noone argued.

Here's an article about Zimmer's head.

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/286/...ries_ab:.shtml

BOSTON (AP) In Oct. 11 stories about the American League...

By Associated Press, 10/13/2003 16:13

BOSTON (AP) In Oct. 11 stories about the American League championship series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Yankees bench coach Don Zimmer had a plate in his head.

According to his autobiography, four holes were drilled in the 72-year-old Zimmer's head after he was hit by a pitch while in the minor leagues. Those holes are filled with tantalum buttons, a metallic element.
cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:49 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

whoa! big fine! but i assume some of pedro's fine is also for throwing at garcia... but still, that seems like a hell of a lot, especially since zimmer only got fined 5 grand.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If it was me I would've slugged him. When I see a guy running at me i'm not thinking how old its just he is a guy ready to deck me. No, Zimmer didn't deserve to get slugged but I give props to Pedro for not slugging him. I just couldn't react that fast to someone running after to me. BTW, he sure didn't look like a 70 year old when running at him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Why is Pedro getting fined for hitting a batter? It happens all the time in the game of baseball. I can understand if it were an obvious retaliation situation...but, this is just ridiculous
Old 10-14-2003, 04:27 PM   #22
QCarFan
Golden Member

i think he may of gotten fined a little more for him motioning towards his head at one of the yankees or someone.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #23
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Fanatik- Zimmer doesn't have a metal plate in his head. When he was injured, the doctors back then drilled three holes into his skull to reduce the swelling. They used a synthetic mesh to cover them up. During the Sox-Yanks Game Four they talked about it. I remember reading about this years ago. If I can find something on it I will pass it on.
Please do, I heard this information on ESPN, i must have been mis-informed.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #24
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Wether Pedro should of done what he did to Zimm or not aside, Pedro is a dirty dirty player. I really loathe Manny, Ortiz and he. All three are cocky and disrespectful. Pedro pointed to his temple and looked at the NY bench before throwing at Garcia's head. He was clearly indicating he was going to try and hit a yankee in the head, and later he laughed about it on the bench with guess who? Ortiz and Manny. Pedro could merely have sidestepped Zimm or restrained him, he had no business tossing him to the ground. Manny and Ortiz sit there admiring their homers for 5 minutes and freakin hug over every homer, very very disrespectful.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #25
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Wether Pedro should of done what he did to Zimm or not aside, Pedro is a dirty dirty player. I really loathe Manny, Ortiz and he. All three are cocky and disrespectful. Pedro pointed to his temple and looked at the NY bench before throwing at Garcia's head. He was clearly indicating he was going to try and hit a yankee in the head, and later he laughed about it on the bench with guess who? Ortiz and Manny. Pedro could merely have sidestepped Zimm or restrained him, he had no business tossing him to the ground. Manny and Ortiz sit there admiring their homers for 5 minutes and freakin hug over every homer, very very disrespectful.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #26
cin

cin is on a distinguished road

MavsFanatik

Quote:
Originally posted by: cin.

Here's an article about Zimmer's head.

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/286/...ries_ab:.shtml

BOSTON (AP) In Oct. 11 stories about the American League...

By Associated Press, 10/13/2003 16:13

BOSTON (AP) In Oct. 11 stories about the American League championship series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Yankees bench coach Don Zimmer had a plate in his head.

According to his autobiography, four holes were drilled in the 72-year-old Zimmer's head after he was hit by a pitch while in the minor leagues. Those holes are filled with tantalum buttons, a metallic element.
cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Personally, I believe that Pedro should be congratulated for what he did. Baseball ratings are kicking some ass and Pedro added fuel to the fire.

MLB should give him 50k instead of taking it away
Old 10-17-2003, 01:18 PM   #28
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Personally, I believe that Pedro should be congratulated for what he did. Baseball ratings are kicking some ass and Pedro added fuel to the fire.

MLB should give him 50k instead of taking it away
Man that's some twisted and totally true logic.

Old 10-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #29
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
What do you think of Pedro Martinez?
I don't like Pedro, maybe cause he has been some dominant against my team, but I was surprised last night when the TV showed his career numbers compared to Sandy Kofax'. Pedro has better numbers than Sandy! More wins, less losses, more SO's, and other that can't remember (ERA?).

Old 10-17-2003, 04:09 PM   #30
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, lower ERA, too.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:44 PM   #31
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:What do you think of Pedro Martinez?

With all do respect, Sandy Koufax never really got good until about his4th or 5th year in the league, then he got great, but his career was cut short because of injury at 30. If he was able to pitch 6 or 7 more years, there wouldn't be much comparison.

That being said, Pedro is consistently excellent. I respect that alot. In an era where even good pitchers are tough to come by(different game these days), you have to respect a great one. I also respect in a strange way that he was willing to throw at the yankees heads. Pedro helped make baseball interesting again. Baseball hasn't been this interesting in awhile. Some people naysay about the brawl and Pedro's actions saying they'd rahter have nice, clean baseball. If you ask me, we have a little too much nice clean baseball, it's nice to see some intensity in the game.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote