Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-19-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funderburke out 6 months

Kings forward sidelined at least six months by surgery

September 19, 2003

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- Sacramento Kings forward Lawrence Funderburke will be sidelined at least six months after having surgery on his left Achilles' tendon.

Funderburke, who missed 16 games last season because of foot problems, had surgery Monday at the Grant Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio, team officials said Friday.

Funderburke had the operation to relieve chronic tendinitis, but during the procedure, doctors found a partial tear in the tendon. His leg will be in a series of casts through mid-January, then he'll start a six-week physical therapy program.

The 6-foot-9 power forward is in his seventh year with the Kings, the longest service with the team of any player on its current roster. He's averaging 6.4 points a game over that span.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Funderburke out 6 months

There goes another part of the King's depth.

What will they ever do without the bench warmer?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Funderburke is actually a tough guy and a nice backup to Webber. They have no one else besides Darius Songaila, who is a project and garbage minutes at best this year.

I just looked at there roster and they only have 13 guys under contract. They shouldn't have a hard time finding a vet to fill in.

Tyrone Hill
Walt Williams

Could they swoop in and snag Donnell Harvey maybe?
Old 09-20-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see any frontcourt minutes available. Webber, Vlade, and Miller will suck them all up.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:26 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I can't remember, but won't Webber miss the start of the season? Besides, they have no one to back Webber now. No one. What if he injures himself again during the season?

I doubt Petrie starts the season without adding a pf. Vlade is getting older and Miller will be the starter. Will they try to use Vlade and Massenberg as the centers with Miller filling in at pf?
Old 09-20-2003, 12:34 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that Miller would be doing the swing thing - a lot of time at center and a little time at power forward.

And I forgot that Webber would be out a few games early in the season.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:44 AM   #7
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Even if Webber it gone, Miller will probably take up the 4 and Vlade will of course stay at the 5. Then there's Massenburg, who as far as I can tell should be able to fill in either the 4 or 5 adequately, though certainly not through heavy minutes. The only question that remains is whether Songaila will be able to pick up the slack successfully, and my guess is probably not too well, but he's not playing big minutes so it may not matter a bit.

One other worry is Vlade's conditioning, which has hardly been exemplary as of late. I think he'll barely last through this year at a good 30 mpg, but who knows.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Two steals for the Kings would be Vladimir Stepania and Donnell Harvey.

Tyrone Hill and Walt Williams would be nice vet additions to cover while Webber is out.

Even though Petrie is trying to save money, he must realize that Vlade is on his last leg. Otherwise, they wouldn't have cleared the bench out just to land Miller.

They're already walking the line by weakening the bench, they'd be fools if they do not add another big man that can handle backup duties behind Webber.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Who cares, Lawrence Funderburke sucks, I doubt he'll average more than 4 minutes a game. Yes, The Kings don't have depth like last year, but still...why would they put Finderburke in the game?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote