Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all
Default Gerald Green should not play...

Gerald Green is really athletic, but he's dumb as bricks. People on this board have complained about Josh's shot selection. Green's is far worse.

I can't really say Green has any "shot selection" at all because he shoots the ball within 3 seconds of getting the ball almost every time he touches it. It'd be a lot better if those were drives to the rim, but no, they're long, contested two pointers with a lot of time left on the shot clock. Its not like he's making a bunch of different good moves either. He's almost always takes 1 - 2 dribbles, moves almost nowhere, and then shoots an off-balance shot.

Is there no coach yelling at him every time he does that? There should be. Seriously, I'm baffled why he gets any playing time while he continues to play like he has no understanding of the game.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I have to agree. Throughout the season I've been really pissed off at Carlisle for not letting him play, but now I know why. He's got the worst shot selection I've ever seen.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
frankvizza

frankvizza will become famous soon enough

i agree with his shot selections there bad and look like he is a ball hog , on the other hand he can finish around the rim and he makes his free throws not like our antoine wright who blows
frankvizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

He has tons of potential thats the only reason i want him to keep getting minutes. I agree though he has to work on his shot selection.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankvizza View Post
i agree with his shot selections there bad and look like he is a ball hog , on the other hand he can finish around the rim and he makes his free throws not like our antoine wright who blows
I showed this to my 4th grade english teacher and she jumped off a bridge and killed herself.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 03-31-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Welcome back, basketballgirl25.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Josh Howard should not play...
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I showed this to my 4th grade english teacher and she jumped off a bridge and killed herself.
Hahaha. This truly made me laugh out loud!

Genius
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't take a brain sargeant to know why this forum struggles~ ME

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
He has tons of potential thats the only reason i want him to keep getting minutes. I agree though he has to work on his shot selection.
I don't think he should get any non-garbage minutes until he limits his retarded shots to 1 or two a game. He can work on his shot selection in practice, D-league, watching tape with coaches, pre-season next year, and/or any other time but meaningful game minutes. Thats like 99%+ of his time is available to work on this.

I agree he has a ton of physical potential though. His defense is actually pretty good, but his shot selection is so poor, I have my doubts he'll ever really get it. Surely the coaches have scolded him multiple times while showing him the tapes of his play...Surely.

There are 9 games left and, even though we're 3 games behind Utah (really like 3.5) and 3 games behind Portland (really like 2.5), its not unreasonable for us to catch one of them because they both have road-heavy schedules while we have a home-heavy schedule.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
Surely the coaches have scolded him multiple times while showing him the tapes of his play...Surely.
They don't, and don't call me Shirley.

Last edited by vinylstar; 03-31-2009 at 04:22 PM.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

He's trying to impress a coach that hasn't played him all year. The easiest way to get noticed is by scoring. Just ask Holger and Dirk.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I actually think rocks are smarter than Gerald Green.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
He's trying to impress a coach that hasn't played him all year. The easiest way to get noticed is by scoring. Just ask Holger and Dirk.
I would agree with this statement.

If Green is ever to "get it" in this league, he needs playing time. And maybe, once you invest a little time into him, you'll realize he's never going to "get it". But with that much potential, don't you have to try?

I've compared him to Nelson Cruz of the Rangers last year. Cruz excelled in the minors, but he never could make it in the big leagues. He'd come up, hit poorly, go back down, hit lights out, come back up, hit poorly, on and on and on. People dismissed him as never going to be a major league player.

But last year, the end of the year, the Rangers gave Cruz 30-35 games where Cruz was going to start, and he was going to start every game. If Cruz was to get it, he was going to get it now. If he couldn't make it, then at least the Rangers would know.

Cruz started slow (went 0-19 after his first MLB game, I think) but he adjusted, and now he's the starting RF for the Rangers.

Sure, its baseball to basketball. Some might call it apples to oranges. But to me, these guys situations are similar: insane talent/potential, but could never make it as a key player until someone committed to giving him playing time.

I'm not sure that this is the right time to do it, with 9 games left in the season. But whether he re-signs or goes elsewhere, he needs someone to be committed to getting him minutes and he might just make it.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

He actually seems to have gotten worse than when I saw him play in Boston a few years ago. I never expected him to contribute much anyways.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #16
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
Totally agree.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #17
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn this City View Post
He actually seems to have gotten worse than when I saw him play in Boston a few years ago. I never expected him to contribute much anyways.
I think your right. But his playing time has also got down significantly. Just something to consider, in my opinion. I'm open to the fact that Gerald Green is a bust and that's all there is to it. Right now, I'm not sure I believe that, but I may eventually.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #18
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Vs. Lakers Rick has to bring a surprise if he wants or not.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Vs. Lakers Rick has to bring a surprise if he wants or not.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
I have to say that I agree.

I truly believe that Green is simply trying to do exactly what the coaches want him to do rather than playing "his" game. While that will up him as a "smart" player, it's taking away something that he's naturally good at as well as taking away something that the Mavericks need right now; someone that can drive the paint with deadly accuracy.

I've noticed that it looks like Green really wants to drive and go for the finish a hell of a lot more often than he does. I've complained about this before and I'll do it again - it seems like the coaches are trying to turn him into a less talented Josh Howard rather than letting him skip the jumpshots and going for the highlight reel dunks/drives that got him where he is today in the first place.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Players get better with game time, not practice time. Yeah he may be a rock with feet, but dumbness can be overcome.

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Pointless to dog Green, he doesn't get playing time. When he does it's with other scrubs so he has to jack up shots and create offense.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

We should use him for fast break points and alley-oops.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #24
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Gerald Green should just join the and1 tour.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #25
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
This guy should not post...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

This thread confuses me. Just when I thought I was supposed to be begging RickyC for more Green minutes because he could turn this team around, suddenly I'm supposed to hate Green and hope that he never so much as sniffs the court? Someone tell me what to think!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

Think that some people are bags of douche. A guy that plays very very very limited minutes is holding his own and not developing into a superstar over night from practice time only, has somehow become worthy of getting hammer in his own thread.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Think that some people are bags of douche. A guy that plays very very very limited minutes is holding his own and not developing into a superstar over night from practice time only, has somehow become worthy of getting hammer in his own thread.
I agree. Its nonsense. How in the hell can a player develop sitting on the pine wit splinters in his ass? Fine to criticize the guy but there's no reason to go at the guy's intelligence. Especially with the way he's been treated by the coaching staff whether its deserving or not.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
This thread confuses me. Just when I thought I was supposed to be begging RickyC for more Green minutes because he could turn this team around, suddenly I'm supposed to hate Green and hope that he never so much as sniffs the court? Someone tell me what to think!
Turn this team around? lol...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
joemoeschmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I agree. Its nonsense. How in the hell can a player develop sitting on the pine wit splinters in his ass? Fine to criticize the guy but there's no reason to go at the guy's intelligence. Especially with the way he's been treated by the coaching staff whether its deserving or not.
1) He recently played significant minutes in really important games - Den, GSW, CLE. In all of them (even where his numbers looked good vs GSW), he made a ton of poor decisions. It really killed us in the Den game - about 5-8 wasted possessions.
2) People on this board have been calling for significant minutes all season.
3) There are a TON of ways to get better outside of playing in a game. Watch film. Teach yourself new moves. Practice old moves. Shoot a ton of jumpshots. Scrimmages. D-League. I admit that getting significant, consistent game time is also important to a player's development, but you have to at least not suck.
4) I'd rather see more Wright or even Matt Carroll than him in non-garbage minutes.
5) Boo hoo, I'm "picking" on a guy that makes $800k this year. Everyone is fair game.

Last edited by joemoeschmoe; 04-02-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #31
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
1) He recently played significant minutes in really important games - Den, GSW, CLE. In all of them (even where his numbers looked good vs GSW), he made a ton of poor decisions. It really killed us in the Den game - about 5-8 wasted possessions.
No, he has played well in several of those games. He played well more games than not.. A few times he made poor decisions to shoot the ball but look who else was out on the court! It's not like he gets the ball and runs down court ignoring everyone and shoots a highly contested shot early in the shot clock. It's not like he hasn't hit big shots and made plays in the few presssure situations he has been in. He made a few big 3's and created some nice things for us in tough games when we needed the help.

Quote:

More people have been calling for consistent minutes, a defined role. Not significant in the way of late game or big pressure situations, but something a lil more consistent perhaps.

Quote:
3) There are a TON of ways to get better outside of playing in a game. Watch film. Teach yourself new moves. Practice old moves. Shoot a ton of jumpshots. Scrimmages. D-League. I admit that getting significant, consistent game time is also important to a player's development, but you have to at least not suck.
Reports are that he does work hard and practices hard. D league isn't exactly up to him, so that is a moot point. He doesn't suck, period. IMO, You are a fool if you have watched him play and thought he doesn't deserve more minutes than what he has gotten.

Quote:
4) I'd rather see more Wright or even Matt Carroll than him in non-garbage minutes.
This is silly twice, first off MATT CARROLL sucks big hard sloppy ones! He is good for nothing. Second, A Wright is a starter so IDK what you are saying. He already logs more minutes.

5)
Quote:
Boo hoo, I'm "picking" on a guy that makes $800k this year. Everyone is fair game.

pfft, no one is "crying" because you are saying things that are incorrect or as you say "picking" on him.

Sure everyone is fair game but that doesn't mean it makes sense to bash on a dude that doesn't play. Well, he gets tossed in at such total randomness that it seems like RC is drawing names out of a hat. When he plays he comes in and shows flashes of being able to contribute more than not. Bash Matt Carroll, when he comes in he brings ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!! Zero athletic ability, can't defend, can't shoot and that is what he was brought her for.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Before anything, I'll concede that Green took some bad shots. I'm not going to go all homer-y and say that everything Green does is perfect.

However...

*Often, Green is put in with a non-scoring lineup. Since Green has the reputation as a scorer, players try to feed him the ball. This results in a couple things: Green is played tighter as the defenses don't have to worry so much about the other players, and Green is forced to put up shots because no one else will.

*Other times, when Green is in with scorers, he never touches the ball. I can vividly remember a game where Green came in for 4 minutes and never touched the ball on the offensive end. Dirk and JJ took most of the shots, which is OK because Dirk is Dirk and JJ is a scorer.

*Green has taken several shot clock beaters, usually when he is passed to with seconds left. That skews his stats.

*He wants to score so to impress Carlisle because he wants minutes...

*...and so if he got some more consistant minutes maybe Green wouldn't feel as pressured to score, thus would make better decisions and shots. Also, playing time may help his decision making.

And if you want proof that not getting consistent minutes might mess with Green's decision making: In the game I mentioned earlier when Green played 4 minutes and didn't touch the ball, he didn't play the next game either. Or the one after that. Don't you think he might be thinking, "Had I scored once or twice in those 4 minutes, maybe I'd be playing now not sitting. Next time, I have to try to score, or coach will just bench me for another couple weeks."

Quote:
5) Boo hoo, I'm "picking" on a guy that makes $800k this year. Everyone is fair game.
We don't want significant minutes. Just 5-8 minutes on a consistent basis each night. Bigger roles if he's playing well and/or we are playing a team where we need his athleticism.

According to every source I've seen, Green is a great worker who stays after practice, comes early, listens to the coaches, etc etc. I think he's close to as good as he can get by just practice.

Wright gets minutes. Green is not here to take away Wright's minutes. Rather, take away some JJ minutes, please! At least on nights JJ can't score, because if JJ can't score he's worse than useless.

You know who you're picking on? You're picking on a guy who hasn't got many shots to defend himself. You know, I can take shots at a guy all day if his hands and feet are tied. But if he is ever allowed to get loose of those knots, he may just deliver a pretty hefty shot back.

Last edited by tcat075; 04-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Before anything, I'll concede that Green took some bad shots. I'm not going to go all homer-y and say that everything Green does is perfect.

However...

*Often, Green is put in with a non-scoring lineup. Since Green has the reputation as a scorer, players try to feed him the ball. This results in a couple things: Green is played tighter as the defenses don't have to worry so much about the other players, and Green is forced to put up shots because no one else will.

*Other times, when Green is in with scorers, he never touches the ball. I can vividly remember a game where Green came in for 4 minutes and never touched the ball on the offensive end. Dirk and JJ took most of the shots, which is OK because Dirk is Dirk and JJ is a scorer.

*Green has taken several shot clock beaters, usually when he is passed to with seconds left. That skews his stats.

*...and so if he got some more consistant minutes maybe Green wouldn't feel as pressured to score, thus would make better decisions and shots. Also, playing time may help his decision making.

And if you want proof that not getting consistent minutes might mess with Green's decision making: In the game I mentioned earlier when Green played 4 minutes and didn't touch the ball, he didn't play the next game either. Or the one after that. Don't you think he might be thinking, "Had I scored once or twice in those 4 minutes, maybe I'd be playing now not sitting. Next time, I have to try to score, or coach will just bench me for another couple weeks."

We don't want significant minutes. Just 5-8 minutes on a consistent basis each night. Bigger roles if he's playing well and/or we are playing a team where we need his athleticism.

According to every source I've seen, Green is a great worker who stays after practice, comes early, listens to the coaches, etc etc. I think he's close to as good as he can get by just practice.

Wright gets minutes. Green is not here to take away Wright's minutes. Rather, take away some JJ minutes, please! At least on nights JJ can't score, because if JJ can't score he's worse than useless.

You know who you're picking on? You're picking on a guy who hasn't got many shots to defend himself. You know, I can take shots at a guy all day if his hands and feet are tied. But if he is ever allowed to get loose of those knots, he may just deliver a pretty hefty shot back.
Those are all valid reasons, but at the end of the day, he's still taking bad shots. Normally you have one young player that you develop as a project and let play through his mistakes, but the problem with the Mavs is that the entire bench consists of these "project" players. It would seem Green is just the odd man out. It's unfortunate because I think he's probably the most talented guy we have on the bench (not including Terry of course), but when you're fighting for an eighth seed, you don't have a lot of breathing room to let your young players get the stupid out of their system.

Really good teams and really bad teams both have that luxury. Unfortunately the Mavs are stuck in the middle; not good enough to where they put away teams consistently and early enough to give someone garbage minutes, and not bad enough to where it doesn't matter who they play.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post

However...

Good post! +Rep.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #35
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this thread feels like I am sitting at a kiddy table surrounded by 5 year olds eating glue and cutting paper with their little safety scissors.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
Reading this thread feels like I am sitting at a kiddy table surrounded by 5 year olds eating glue and cutting paper with their little safety scissors.
I used to dip the safety scissors in the glue and then lick it right off of there.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #37
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post

Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #38
joemoeschmoe

Some good counterpoints to my agruments. I still think that, despite OK numbers in one game (GSW), when he played recently, he played poorly. Putting up a bad shot is still a bad shot even if you make it. Against GSW some of the bad shots went in so his numbers looked good.

I do agree that its likely he tries to score like crazy because he doesn't get on the court often. However, that doesn't excuse it.

We did play him all but one game in October and he had a few good ones, but overall still made a good amount of bonehead moves. These last 3 games his bonehead moves per minute went up IMO. However, I'd rather see Green than Stack or George most of the time.

Its great that he's working hard. Eventually I imagine it'll click and he'll be a consistent contributor without being a black hole on offense.

I still contend that he shouldn't play the rest of the season (or post-season) in non-garbage minutes.

Last edited by joemoeschmoe; 04-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Tags
thread urinal, upgrade from diarrhea?