Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-26-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby Jackson sidelined after hand injury

December 26, 2002

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Sacramento Kings guard Bobby Jackson will be sidelined for about six weeks with a broken left hand.

Jackson injured himself Wednesday against the Los Angeles Lakers when Shaquille O'Neal knocked the ball out of his hands while he was driving to the basket. Jackson, who wore a splint after the game, scored 11 points in the team's win over the Lakers.

Jackson underwent surgery Thursday at UC Davis Medical Center.

Jackson is averaging 19.5 points per game but has been coming off the bench since Mike Bibby returned from an injury earlier this month.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:03 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Eventually the KIngs are going to have an injury that causes them to lose a couple of games.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Guess this means that the Mavs can't prove anything when they meet the Kings on Jan. 15th. If we win, then the critics will say it was only because Bobby Jackson was injured while conviently forgetting about Eddie.

I would really like to see the Kings and Mavs go at each other with everyone healthy. The way this year is going I don't know if that will happen.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:55 AM   #4
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

while im not sure of it, but jackson averages close to or more than 20ppg this year, im pretty sure thats more than eddie. so he is a huge part of the team, thats close to 20 points, 4rebs, and 4 assists missing from your team. not to mention the good D he plays, not to take anything from najera but jackson is a bigger piece to their puzzle. they now rely on damon jones to be the backup, as the mavs have better options to go to.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

If you're talking about importance of a player for a team you can't simply look on the stats. It's Eddie's hustle plays that are so important for the Mavs, but Jackson was much more important for the Kings, but only because Bibby was out. If Bibby regenerates totally he will be just as much help for them as NVE's for us, because I don't see Adelman starting Jackson...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:38 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

#41: Great point. Jackson's stats have been inflated from what they normally would have been because he was starting for Bibby. It would have been a better comparison to have used his stats from last year. Of cource as you mention stats don't tell the whole story. Just remember that Eddie did what a lot of all stars have failed to do this year, he shut down Yao. That just doesn't show up on Eddie's stat sheet. Basketball is a team game and the Mavs are more team oriented than most if not all NBA teams. Take away a key part of that team and it doesn't function quite the same. One thing that I think Eddie does and does quite well is elevate the play of his teammates. You could look at the team stats with Eddie and without Eddie for examples. But as I have said in another thread, Statstics are the the tool of geniuses and the master of fools. We should use stats wisely for a tool instead of foolishly letting them rule our thinking.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
realclipsfan
Banned

Well that's how some players do, they step up when a teammate is hurt. Exactly what alot expected Raef to do when Dirk was out but he didn't. Some people take advantage of their oppurtunity. That's what makes the Kings so good, they have guys they can plug in for another guy. Jackson stepped up when Biddy was out and put up 20ppg, 4asp, and 4rpg. I don't think his numbers were inflated, just him taking advantage of his oppurtinity. Again, that's some guys do. I don't think Najera "shut" Yao down at all, I am willing to bet you that if Nellie put Najera on Yao for the entire game, Yao would score over 30. I am sure Yao knows how to play a guy like Eddie now, being physical with him wont get you nothing but torched.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

The Mavs should bring plenty of cheese with them Jan. 15th to go with the whine about Bobby Jackson.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:02 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it's Mike Bibby time. Lets see if he can elevate his game from his accustomed 13 pppg, 6 apg standard. .500 level basketball just might be in Sacramento's future...
Old 12-27-2002, 04:04 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

Evil: Does that mean if the Kings play .500 basketball that Bobby Jackson is league MVP?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:08 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Yeah. And that is the point. Bobby Jackson is the backup PG filling in for a maxed-out player. We played without our allstar-calibre backup PG and nobody gave us any slack; lets see them do it. There are no excuses for a team when they have to put a guy on the injured list and replace him with a guy who just signed a multi-year big dollar deal who was arguably the best player on the team during last year's playoffs.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:26 PM   #12
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

<< Yeah. And that is the point. Bobby Jackson is the backup PG filling in for a maxed-out player. We played without our allstar-calibre backup PG and nobody gave us any slack; lets see them do it. There are no excuses for a team when they have to put a guy on the injured list and replace him with a guy who just signed a multi-year big dollar deal who was arguably the best player on the team during last year's playoffs. >>

I don't think the injury situation is even comparable between the Kings and Mavs. Kings have been decimated by injuries and still have amazed the shiznit out of me and every Kings hater I know. You wanna play lets see, lets see how the Mavs play without Dirk, Najera and Nash or NVE at the same time, then you can compare injury impacted performances. The Kings have been without Webber, Peja, Pollard and Bibby for lots of stretches. That's their top 3 players and their second best bench player. Last year the Kings kicked butt without Webber for a very long stretch.

Not even close.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:49 AM   #13
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Anybody with any common sense SHOULD give props to the Kings for the way that they've played this season, WOW. That's what DEEP, talented teams are all about. Everyday that I look at the standings, I'm amazed that they're so close given the Mavs fast start and the injuries that the Kings have had. Since last year's playoffs, the Kings have been the measuring stick.

I think that the comparison others tried to make about Eddie and BobbyJax is a bit strained...totally different things. Trying to make comparison's between the injuries suffered by both the Mavs and the Kings is awfully difficult and I'm not sure that an extreme view on either end is warranted at all. Different people, for different periods of time, with different values to each club. Let's just say that I think it's been unfortunate for both teams. Hopefully, they'll both be at full strength for the playoffs. I wouldn't want it any other way.

(I'm totally disgusted that Raef was brought up AGAIN in this thread by the same repetitive poster - absolutely ridiculous - THIS is a BobbyJackson/kings thread !)

Old 12-28-2002, 08:01 AM   #14
realclipsfan
Banned

op, if you dont like it, dont post in it. i used raef as an example, sue me
Old 12-28-2002, 08:50 AM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

WayOut, the Kings are so deep, it´s almost unfair.
I give them props for what they´ve done with all the injuries.
It doesn´t mean they are the better team though IMO, just deeper, which is only one part of the puzzle. See the Lakers, they are one of the least deep teams around, but the last three years, well you know it.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:59 PM   #16
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

(I'm totally disgusted that Raef was brought up AGAIN in this thread by the same repetitive poster - absolutely ridiculous - THIS is a BobbyJackson/kings thread !)

Although I did not speak to you directly, I'll say it again, SuperSlowMO/RCF/RealClipsFan; whatever your current name is...I guess you recognized yourself in my post as you directed a response directly to me. I will break my silence, on your posts, this one time, to say one thing and one thing only:

Rhylan has previously posted about members making positive contributions, so, in that spirit, I will ask you to please make a contribution to this board...PLEASE. Open a thread, post an article or some outside information...please do something that is helpful to us all. Raef bashing is getting very, very old. WE GOT YOUR POINT THE FIRST TIME !! We really did. Everyone understands your complaints about Raef.

Let's return to the discussion of BobbyJax and the Kings !
Old 12-28-2002, 05:25 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

<< Anybody with any common sense SHOULD give props to the Kings for the way that they've played this season, WOW. That's what DEEP, talented teams are all about. Everyday that I look at the standings, I'm amazed that they're so close given the Mavs fast start and the injuries that the Kings have had. Since last year's playoffs, the Kings have been the measuring stick. >>

OP: I agree with you totally that the Kings have played great this season. They are a tremendously talented and deep team. And they have played wonderfully throgh probably the worst bought of injuries in the league. They are incredibly deep team, and even more so after adding Jimmy Jackson. Probably they are the deepest team in the NBA.

What I have problem with is those who make such a big deal about the Kings injuries, and totally dismissing the injuries the Mavs have had. I would rate the Kings as having been hit the worst with injuries and the Mavs and being next. All of our accomplishments are constantly dismissed due to the injuries that the Kings have had.

<< I think that the comparison others tried to make about Eddie and BobbyJax is a bit strained...totally different things. >>

I think you make a great point here in comparing the players. But the point I was trying to make when I started this whole mess, is to mention the Kings injuries and say if they beat the Mavs Jan 15th they are beating the &quot;real&quot; Mavs even with injured, but if the Mavs beat the kings and have it said that the Mavs didn't beat the &quot;real&quot; kings because of injury is not fair IMO. It's a double standard, that I am not particularly fond of. To me its saying that even though the Kings are deeper than the Mavs the Kings are allowed to be affected by injuries while the Mavs aren't. It's difficult to define which team is hurt the most by injuries since many factors come into play and in the end its a very subjective call. We are playing a &quot;what if&quot; game. My fondest wish would be to see the 2 teams go toe to toe in the Western Conference finals with both being at full strength. But even if that happens and the Mavs win with home court, I can still hear the wines coming that if the Kings weren't injured and they had home court, they would have won so the Mavs victory doesn't really count.

The Kings beat the Mavs last year in the playoffs. Both teams had key people injured. But the bottom line was the Kings just out played the Mavs. I just would like the same concession for the Kings affictionados this year if the Mavs beat the Kings. And I definitely believe the Kings are the team to beat for the Mavs.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:14 AM   #18
realclipsfan
Banned

sorry op, but if he continues with his poor play, his name will be mentioned even more, especially by me. i used him as an great example, whats wrong with that? its not against the rules to mention the guys name in a post, or they maybe against your rules, but not this boards. and i would certainly like you to not mention the mods name in everyone of your posts directed at me, please. thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 08:34 PM   #19
OutletPass
Diamond Member

LRB - I understand what you're saying, but as Kiki has rightfully pointed out, the Mavs still don't get a lot of consideration nationally...despite this year's start.

Let's face it Sacto kicked our butts in the playoffs and had the Lakers on the ropes. Therefore, their &quot;names&quot; are bigger than our &quot;names&quot;.

Bottom line: Both teams have really been hit hard and the players on both sides have been integral to their teams. I look to the way that each have responded to their situations; both have played really well...yet Sacto has sneaked someone into their lineup by the name of Jimmy Jackson. What a great move that has turned out to be. And our response, if needed is ____________ ?

Can we make a move, if we need to, that works out anywhere near that ?
Old 12-29-2002, 08:58 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

OP - I hear what you're saying. I don't have a problem with Sacto getting more restpect than us. Like you said, they beat us very convincingly last spring in the playoffs. I realize that this is part of the double standard that has been put in place where injuries don't affect Dallas and they do affect Sacto. Or rather if Sacto loses as they did last night it is because they have injuries. But when Dallas gets beat by SA with Dirk, Griff, and Eddie out that doesn't affect us any. Sacto is a very deep team, deeper than we are IMO. They got even deeper with Jimmy Jackson. He was a great pickup for them. But if they are so much deeper than we are, how come they are more affected by injuries than we are? I know it goes back to the respect issue. I understand this. I'm just not a big fan of double standards. Essentially the standard is that unless Sacto gets healthy Dallas cannot be NBA champion this year. We might win 4 games in the finals, but Sacto will be the real champions unless we can beat them at their full health. Its this kind of thinking that turns me off on the BCS. I don't like it there and I don't like it here. I'm a proponent of proving it on the court, not on paper. I also like a team to have its destiny solely in its hands at the start of the season. It looks like Dallas is solely dependent on Sacto for any real championship hopes, at least many consider this. I understand why, I just don't like it. That's why I think all those who think Dallas won't be champions unless they beat a healthy Kings team are a bunch of whiners. My opinion only.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:42 PM   #21
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Well, to me, whoever wins, wins....period. I just hope that we reach the finals and don't really care who we play or whether they're healthy or not. Sac is just the current measuring stick because that's who we lost to andthat's who has the 2nd best record.

I don't think we need to have a Sacto fetish. If we get to the WC finals, it could be Portland or the Spurs or someone else for all we know now. I just want a Mavs win and I'll take it any way that we can get it.

10 years from now, the trophy will still be the trophy and few will care if our opponent had some injuries or not. Having said that, I hope that we're healthy and that they're healthy and that we kick butt seriously. That's just MY hope.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:02 AM   #22
LRB
Guru

OP: I'm with you, in that I will take a win any way we can get it. And you are right, 10 years from now it won't matter who we beat or how, just that we won. I was looking forward to playing Sac for the Mavs to prove some of their critics wrong. Looks like we might have to wait until June. Of cource everyone that's been critizing the Mavs will probably run and hide like HoosierDaddyNow. Not that that is necessarily bad thing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]