Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-16-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Oh what a lightning rod.

I hate Pete Rose. I hope he never gets in the hall. I hope he really is banned for life.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the discusions taking place are intended solely to take attention away from the pathetic excuse of a MLB offseason and the fact that salaries are really being supressed.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Pete Rose was one of the best players in the history of MLB. He is also scum. But being scum should not prevent him from being in the Hall - that is about what you do on the field. Otherwise Ty Cobb shouldn't be in the Hall either.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:15 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Dooby here. Pete Rose signed an agreement to be banned for life from baseball. In return, certain facts of the investigation were not made public. I suspect those facts were that he bet on the Reds to lose games. Whether or not he threw games is another topic, but when you agree to be banned for life, that means life darn it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Pete Rose

08/12/2003 11:31 AM ET
Major League Baseball statement

Bob DuPuy, Major League Baseball President and Chief Operating Officer, issued the following statement regarding an internet report about the status of Pete Rose:
"The story that appeared on the Baseball Prospectus website today regarding the return of Pete Rose to baseball in 2004 and the alleged written agreement that had been reached by Rose and Commissioner Selig is unsubstantiated and totally unfounded. The report is wholly inaccurate.

"As has been reported many times by the Commissioner and as recently as one week ago, Commissioner Selig and Mr. Rose have met regarding his pending application for reinstatement, which originally was filed in 1997. The Commissioner has not made a decision and no agreement with Mr. Rose has been reached or signed. When a decision is made, it will be reported through the appropriate channels. Any unnamed source to the contrary or any report suggesting otherwise is both unfortunate and journalistically irresponsible."

Old 08-12-2003, 02:14 PM   #5
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Pete Rose

Rose still won't admit to betting on games. Until he admits what he did he shouldn't be reinstated. Even if he were to admit what he did, I stilldon't think he should be readmitted.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Pete Rose

Apologies are overrated.
Admissions are overrated.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Default Pete Rose

Pete Rose is overated.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default Pete Rose

I could'nt care less wether or not he gets a job in baseball again.....He probably does'nt deserve it....
However he absolutely must be in the hall of fame for what he did as a player no ifs ands or buts about it.
20+ productive seasons and all time hits leader are absolutely not negated by a few acts of indescretion as a manager.
He was a member of the Big Red machine, without a doubt one of the greatest teams of all time.
He should be in the hall.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Pete Rose

He put a black eye on the sport and refuses to admit it. He should not be in the hall of fame.

I think it the Hall of fame should have too take into account actions aside from what happens on the diamond. This is a guy who sacrificed the integrity of the game.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Default Pete Rose

I don't understand how anyone can argue for Pete Rose. The man agreed to a lifetime ban to ensure that teh details of MLB's investigation would NOT be shared. The man bet on baseball. Otherwise, he wouldn't have made that deal. He agreed to the lifetime ban. The last time I checked, lifetime was a long time and was not exempted by the ranting of some fans who didn't like the agreement. Rose agreed. Case closed.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:12 PM   #11
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default Pete Rose

Pete Rose is a hall of famer- period. You cannot be the all-time hits leader and not be in the hall of fame. Saying his is "overrated" is almost comical. No one alive has more base hits than this man- NO ONE. That includes Dimaggio, Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Cobb, Musial, Wagner, Molitor, Brett, Boggs, etc...

He did gamble on baseball, and this is too bad, because the man who has more hits than anyone alive, perhaps more hits than anyone WILL EVER GET, should be in the hall of fame. Im sure there are many hall of famers who have done worse, just never got caught doing it..same goes for the NFL hall of fame...

Is OJ still in the college hall of fame? YES...the Pro football hall of fame? YES?? Now that is a joke...he lobbed of someones head, not put a few bucks on a baseball game....
Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Default Pete Rose

Settle down reeds. The overated comment was for effect. The attention Rose gets is certainly overated.

One difference between OJ and Rose is that OJ was already a HOF'er before his legal problems. Just a little point. BUT...Rose agreed to a lifetime ban from baseball. He knew that included a lifetime ban from HOF consideration. Why? Because he was guilty as sin and it was the only way to keep the facts out of the press. Why else would he agree to a lifetime ban?

And that is the way it is. Period.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #13
Rod1975
Golden Member

Default Pete Rose

Being banned from baseball is one thing, being banned from the hall of fame ought to be something else entirely.
You don't have to even step foot on a baseball field to be inducted into Cooperstown.
Who ever wrote up that agreement for Pete to sign needs to man (or woman) up and separate the MLB from Cooperstown (they are different).
Without Pete Rose in the Hall, the hall loses credibility.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Default Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Being banned from baseball is one thing, being banned from the hall of fame ought to be something else entirely.
You don't have to even step foot on a baseball field to be inducted into Cooperstown.
Who ever wrote up that agreement for Pete to sign needs to man (or woman) up and separate the MLB from Cooperstown (they are different).
Without Pete Rose in the Hall, the hall loses credibility.

Rod- the agreement was made and it includes the HOF. What is so hard to understand about a lifetime ban? Pete Rose agreed to a lifetime ban in return for baseball not sharing publically the facts of their investigation. It's a simple deal and Rose himself agreed.

God Bless Bart Giamatti.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #15
Rod1975
Golden Member

Default Pete Rose

I know what the hell he agreed to, I'm just saying it is wrong to keep him out of the hall as a player for what he did as a manager.
For a guy to do what he did as a player and be left out of the hall of fame, is a shame to all halls of fame and the idea of them.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:35 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Default Pete Rose

I don't think he should be in EVER. BUT, if he came clean and admitted his gambling on Reds games......I would be more inclined to listen to that argument, BUT since he will never do that and since he agreed to a LIFETIME ban....he can suck it.