Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-14-2002, 03:05 PM   #1
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

Rumors say that Wang wants to play elsewhere next year because he doesn't think he will get enough minutes with Dallas.

GSW, Magic and Clipps are the ones named most frequently. One rumor had him leaning toward GSW because of the large Chinese-American populations in the San Francisco area.

He is a RFA, meaning we can match, but should we? I don't really know all the ends and outs of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the Salary Cap, but if we do a S&T with another team and get something back we could use, it should leave our mid-level exemption in tact, right?

GSW and Magic are already over the cap I think, so all they can work with is the mid-level exemption, I believe.

Larry Hughes is also a RFA, would you try and do a dual S&T, Wang for Hughes? I don't know who else on the Magic or GSW we would do a straight "Wang for.." trade, without adding more pieces.

Clippers always have interesting pieces, but they are under the cap. But I doubt that they would offer Wang enought to do a S&T for Olowakandi.

Anyway, the possibility of Wang signing elsewhere does pose some interesting options.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, if wang wants to go play somewhere else,that's fine... move him in a sign and trade... and no, it shouldn't effect any exceptions
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:16 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Let him sign if he wants to. No reason to trade him, especially not for Hughes. Now if they want to get rid of Troy Murphy, I wouldn't mind.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, of course, you dont' just sign and trade to sign and trade..but if you can get a servicable part, you sign and trade wang ... if you can't and wang doesn't want to be here..then let him go

of course, this is all just speculation.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:20 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< He is a RFA, meaning we can match, but should we? I don't really know all the ends and outs of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the Salary Cap, but if we do a S&amp;T with another team and get something back we could use, it should leave our mid-level exemption in tact, right? >>

That's all correct. Because he's our rfa we can sign him for anything up to the mid-level exception and it doesn't affect our own exceptions. We can also match any offer no matter how much its for and it doesn't affect the availability of our exceptions.

The Clippers definitely would not offer Wang enough to make a match with Olowakandi. If they let Olowakandi go, it is completely because Sterling is not willing to pay a player more than he is already paying Olo this year.

Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

My opinions on this subject are pretty clear.

I really could care less.

Stay or go. Go or stay. Whatever.

Indifferent.

Sorry that I don't have more of a HSO.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:48 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

well, dooby..i would like to get something for him if that is possible.. otherwise, if he wants to go..
Old 06-14-2002, 03:48 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I mean, seriously, why do we continue to spend so much time and energy discussing Wang?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 06-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

BTW, you can't sign and trade Wang for a lot of money, because BYC issues arise. Therefore, a mutual sign and trade for Larry Hughes won't work.

Chances are he leaves and we ain't getting anything for him, or he stays. Really the only option. Could package him with NVE, I suppose.

Old 06-14-2002, 03:54 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

of course dooby, it would have to be some sort of package deal or an exchange between relatively small contracts...
but, if he goes, it doesn't change my outlook for the mavs one bit
Old 06-14-2002, 04:06 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

He could play for the Mavericks for 10 years, he will never win a playoff game for them.

Old 06-14-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

just curious - why is wang a RFA?
he was a second rounder - therefore he should be a FA

j
Old 06-14-2002, 04:22 PM   #13
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< just curious - why is wang a RFA?
he was a second rounder - therefore he should be a FA
>>

I'm not sure--but Najera is also an RFA and he was also a second-round pick. I think that its simply that a second-rounder doesn't have any restrictions on his contract. Meaning that when the team and player negotiate it, they can agree to the player being an RFA after 2 years. Take my vague recollection of this as FWIW.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #14
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< just curious - why is wang a RFA?
he was a second rounder - therefore he should be a FAj
>>

Not sure either. But when all the Wang missing stories broke, I read something about Cuban would be making him a qualifying offer, I think. If that's the case, you only make a QO on RFA.

But you may be right. In which case, this topic is moot.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:03 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't break the bank on Wang but I would match offers if it's reasonable.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:01 AM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I thought they were RFA's because they're in the third year of their contracts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but when they changed the rules about first rounders having the four years with the fourth year being the team option, I thought they did that for second rounders too. Making all second round rookie contracts three years with the third year making a player a restricted free agent. Very few second rounders stick around long enough to run into this problem so I assumed this is why we haven't heard about it. Like I said I could be VERY wrong here and if I am I would like someone to help me out, but this was my thinking.