Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-15-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Here is an Interview with Askrabic from Link

"It is now certain I'll stay another year with FMP Zeleznik (Askrabic's club in Serbia), after speaking about my future with the club officials. There were some contacts from Dallas, I spoke to them, they wanted me this year - but I decided to stay here and move there next year."

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2002, 01:17 PM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Fix the link.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Please.

I wonder why he would stay another year? Especially if he is planning on coming to Dallas next year like he says.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange turn of events. (The link didn't work for me either). I can see no reason why Askrabic would put off his entrance into the NBA.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:54 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I went to www.b92.net (Yugoslavian news flash site) which is the link he provides, but isn't working for me either. I scanned around a little bit, but couldn't find anything. Maybe one of you might have better luck.

<< I wonder why he would stay another year? Especially if he is planning on coming to Dallas next year like he says. >>

The only reason I can think of him staying another year is if it was something he and the Nelsons disgusted and thought best. Maybe there is something they want him to work on and get another year in before coming over?

Strange, indeed.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:06 PM   #6
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< The only reason I can think of him staying another year is if it was something he and the Nelsons disgusted and thought best. Maybe there is something they want him to work on and get another year in before coming over? >>

That was my initial reaction even though he says that Dallas did want him this year. Another possibility I've thought of since is contract issues. We hadn't heard much about his European contract so I had assumed it wasn't an issue, but its possible Dallas' offer was just not enough given that he might have to buy out his current contract with it. So that would make sense for him to stay another year for it to run out--and of course he wouldn't be admitting that Dallas wasn't offering him enough.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:10 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about his contract only briefly.

I didn't think about money being an issue since Cuban will pay for something he wants.

Of course, I know nothing about his contract so it could be something ridiculous and waiting a year could solve that problem.

I'd still like to read the article, though.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:39 AM   #8
Milos D

Milos D is on a distinguished road

The article is in Serbian and you can see it here, scroll down and you will see the title &quot;ASKRABIC ZA B92: &quot;IDEM U DALAS, ALI SLEDECE GODINE&quot; which translates into &quot;Askrabic says for B92: I am going to Dallas, but not until next year&quot;.

BTW, the &quot;article&quot; is really only a short quote and the entire quote is already posted in the first message.
Milos D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing on that link about Askrabic.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:27 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

damn...I can't seem to get to this story.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2002, 12:28 PM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< There is nothing on that link about Askrabic. >>

How can you tell?
Old 06-16-2002, 12:36 PM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I didn't think about money being an issue since Cuban will pay for something he wants. >>

True, but he has to work around the salary cap like anyone else. In this case, Cuban has the small exception and the medium exception (about 5.5 million together, I believe) to sign free agents. It doesn't matter if he's willing to pay more than that for free agents, he can't. And if he already has another free agent in mind who he thinks will cost him say 3 million, he's not going to offer more than 2.5 to Askrabic.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #13
Milos D

Milos D is on a distinguished road

Yeah, he is right, they must have updated the page, the article (quote) is gone and the archive seems to be out of order.
Milos D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 05:16 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

I guess we will just have to wait and see on Askrabic to be sure.....but someones point about the contract not being up for a year is a good one.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:49 PM   #15
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

there are several possible reasons for this statement:

Dallas may need this years exception for other purpose, and can only offer a minimum or low contract this year ... this sounds very likely to me, especially with Wang and Buckner beeing FA´s

usual contract-negotiation tool. Pretend that it´s all done for next year, making it more likely that his current team accepts a lower buy-out.

Nelson advising him to develop leadership qualities
Old 06-16-2002, 06:10 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

usual contract-negotiation tool. Pretend that it´s all done for next year, making it more likely that his current team accepts a lower buy-out.

great insight SJ....I think you hit on it right here!
Old 06-16-2002, 09:16 PM   #17
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

This was posted by &quot;Alec&quot; over at LMF

WHAT IS NELLIE UP TO NOW?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Igor Mangovski
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jun 14, 2002, 5:03pm
Print this article
Email this article

The Dallas Mavericks' assistant coach, Donn Nelson, is regarded as one of the best
evaluators of the oversees' talent. He is the one who unearthed Dirk Nowitzki from the
German's second division league when no other executive had even heard of him. He
put his name at stakes when he persuaded his father, Don Nelson, to trade for
Nowitzki and was even criticized for his decision when Nowitzki had hard time adjusting
to the NBA basketball. Well, Nowitzki developed into one of the most versatile and
difficult to guard forwards in the League. Meanwhile, the Milwaukee Bucks, who
thought to have acquired the coup of the draft when they swapped Nowitzki for
Robert Traylor, must be deploring their sorry decision every day. Instead of having the
Big Four, the Bucks ended up trading Traylor to Philly, making the &quot;Tractor&quot; only the
latest of the draft disappointments to become a journeyman. Traylor is now with the
New Orleans Hornets, his fourth team in the young career, while Nowitzki regularly
dominates the headlines with his stellar play. In addition to playing in the All-Star
game, Nowitzki made the Second All-NBA Team, an unprecedented feat for a player
groomed in Europe. Only the late Drazen Petrovic came close when he was voted to
the Third Team in 1992.

How did the rest of the highly paid decision makers assisted by dozens of scouts
overlook the Nowitzki's potential? Granted, some GM's would have eventually taken a
flyer on Nowitzki in the mid-to-late first round, but only for the fact the draft usually
gets awfully thin there and the risk of tarnishing the reputation by taking the wrong
player is exceeded by the risk of an overlook. From this perspective, 8 GM's made a
dreadful mistake for not drafting Nowitzki, as many experts agree he should have gone
first, but Nelson's clairvoyance and pioneer vision in that regard should not be
diminished. The executives do have an excuse for their mistake however, as few teams
had the full-time oversees scouts at the time. It was different in Dallas, as Donn
Nelson served as an international scout simultaneously with his regular assistant coach
assignments. In fact, Nelson seems to find an immense satisfaction in unearthing
hidden gems from the mud. After all, he lobbied hard for the Warriors to take Vlade
Divac with the #11 pick in the 1989 draft, but the risk was probably too high for Don
Nelson, and Divac lasted all the way to the #26 where the Lakers feasted at the
opportunity to select Divac, who became one of the best players from the crop. The
Warriors still brought an international player to the training camp, as Nelson was
enamored with the Lithuanian guard Sarunas Marciulionis, who would have had a great
career of his own, had his knee's not prevented him from achieving anything more than
being a runner-up for the sixth man of the year award.

The upcoming draft is touted as one of the deepest in years and even the lower
seeded teams in the first round work many players out, expecting to add a significant
piece to their rosters. Some teams even have a marketing strategy in place, as they
try to convey the publicity the first round pick brings to an additional income in these
quiet summer days. The parts of these workouts are open for the media in such cases,
and the sports writers eagerly report on the players who ostentatiously display their
skills in the days when basketball related news is nowhere to be found. The Mavericks
owner, Mark Cuban, is one of the smartest when it comes to using the market in
gathering an extra-income, but the apparent lack of news from the Mavericks camp
suggests that something behind the curtains is going on. Where are the Nelsons after
all?

The whole draft process is a sort of a poker game, and not getting the cards exposed
is almost as important as reading the other players' mind. The Nelsons are certainly
very good at the game and they defended their reputation once again. While the rest
of the league executives are scouring the well-documented and taped talent, Donn
Nelson is pulling a trick to mask the real reason for his recurring visit to Belgrade,
Yugoslavia. Donn Nelson had visited Belgrade a month ago also, when he supposedly
took part in organizing the International Coaching Clinic. The visit coincided with the
Yugoslavian championships semi-final playoff series between Partizan and FMP. The
series featured NBA prospects on both sides, with Nenad Krstic, a talented 18 years
old 7-footer, playing for Partizan against Mladen Sekularac, a fellow 2002 draft
prospect in the FMP uniform. A week ago, Donn Nelson repeated the visit, this time
bringing his father, Don Nelson and another Mavs' assistant, Dell Harris to participate in
the seminar. Yeah, right!

The most attractive part of the seminar had to be the practical one, including the
training sessions with the Yugoslav best young players, essentially giving the Mavs' a
chance of an in-depth workout without much publicity in the States. Among these
were Nenad Krstic, Milos Vujanic, Mladen Sekularac and ... Ognjen Askrabic. Askrabic
should be a familiar name to the most rabid draft followers, as he declared eligible for
the draft last year, but went undrafted mostly because the teams were not familiar
with him. However, as is the case in similar situations, Nelson knows better. Askrabic,
who played for FMP in the aforementioned series, stole the show from the more
acknowledged players and completely dominated the game with his uncanny versatility.
Of course, those in tune with the Yugoslav basketball expected the more experienced
and elder Askrabic to dominate the young Krstic, but Askrabic made up for last year's
draft day disappointment and probably earned himself a shot at the NBA with his
strong play.

Askrabic is very experienced for his age because he played in the FMP's starting lineup
since he was 17, finally grabbing the leading role on the team last year. Askrabic is
6-10 and is very versatile for his position. He has decent range on his shot, knocking
the jumpers with consistency from up to 20 feet. He is very agile for his height and
runs the fast brake very good. What probably likened him most to Nelson is his
strength and a versatile game around the basket array, something the Mavericks did
not have in the playoffs this year. Askrabic worked out for Nelson twice and they were
ready to agree on signing a contract come July. However, Askrabic is tied to a
contract for one more year with his club and the buyout is rumored to be very high,
limiting the financial appeal of the NBA. League rules prevent teams from contributing
to a contract buyout by more than $350 thousand and the Mavs may not be able to
offer Askrabic a contract which would justify his move to the NBA because of their
payroll being way above the salary cap. Askrabic will have enough time to determine if
he is ready to sacrifice money to play for the Mavericks, but according to his
statement, a deal may have been agreed for the next season. With the move, Nelson
secured his unchallenged position as the best shark in the international talent pool.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 09:31 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I love Igor's prose. Eat dirt, Valade!

But I hope he's wrong about Askrabic running the 'fast brake' good--he'd never fit in with Nellie's run-'n-gun style.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 09:42 PM   #19
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< Dallas may need this years exception for other purpose, and can only offer a minimum or low contract this year ... this sounds very likely to me, especially with Wang and Buckner beeing FA´s >>

Wang, Buckner and Najera have all been with the team long enough to qualify for early-bird status. The Mavs can sign them for values that equal the big exception without actually touching any of their exception money.

If its a contract issue then its either that a) the buyout is so large that even the medium exception doesn't make it reasonable for Askrabic to do it this year, or b) the Mavs are saving part of their exception for another free agent, and what they are offering is not enough to take care of the buyout this year.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:57 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Here's another article that Alec from LMF posted. It talks about how we can either go for Askrabic or take a team up on it's offer and land a pick around the mid first round. Or possibly do both. So, what teams are we talking about??

THE MIDWEST DIVISION

by The Rocket Guy, Tom House, and Cameron Martin
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jun 15, 2002, 10:28am
Print this article
Email this article

DALLAS

THE ANSWER MAY BE ASKRABIC,
AND MAYBE MORE TOO

NEWS@ correspondent Igor Mangovski based in Yugoslavia had given us extended insight into the so-called 'Coaching Clinic' that Mavs' head coach Don Nelson plus the top two assistants Donnie Nelson and Del Harris conducted in Belgrade last weekend. It seems as if European sources are saying this was mainly to get a final handle on the abilities of KK FMP Zeleznik forward Ognjen Askrabic whose versatility and development over the last year since a late injury caused him to go undrafted in 2001 may have him ready to step right into a contributing role in the NBA for the 2002-03 season. The buyout may be a bit of a snag since Askrabic has one more year left on his contract in Europe. This may not be a huge snag however.

Things drifting on the hot summer breezes in Dallas point to this trip as a final evaluation as to whether the Mavs' will make the major run at the free agent [by NBA standards] Askrabic, or possibly take another team up on a deal offered that would land Dallas a pick in the June 26th NBA Draft that would fall near the mid first round and enable them to grab talent at that spot. Askrabic may have settled that with the way he played in the Yugoslavian finals recently and his performance in the coaching clinic attended by the Mavs' top brass. It's even hinted in European press that contract details between the Yugoslavian player and Dallas are in the advanced stage at this point which would make the buyout of the final year in Europe a done deal on Askrabic's part.

It's still possible that Dallas may try to do both in an effort to bolster the teams depth that was a factor in their final demise of 2002. Askrabic should come in well ahead of where Dirk was when he arrived since Ognjen [23 this year] has played in the top leagues over there since he was just 17 and has begun to be a near dominating force at times. Compare this to the second division play of Dirk in Germany before he arrived.

Rumors are conflicting about the possible deal for a mid first round draft pick but if Dallas strengthens the frontcourt with Askrabic to fit into the 2002-03 rotation it may be probable that the Mavs' would look at the backcourt if they were to obtain that rumored pick. Names that might be called from the podium by David Stern about that time include Missouri SG Kareem Rush, Illinois PG Frank Williams, former Fresno St PG Tito Maddox, and possibly the versatile Czech guard Jiri Welsch. Nellie has always had an affinity for tall guards and Welsch is 6-7 and has played SF, SG, and the point in Europe [plus he's the son of a coach] while Maddox is a true 6-4. Maddox declared and then withdrew from the 2001 NBA Draft when many analyst thought he'd probably be a sure first round pick even then. It backfired on him later when the NCAA declared him ineligible for what would have been his sophomore year in 2001-02 at Fresno St after they determined he had accepted gifts from an agent outside of NCAA regulations
Old 06-16-2002, 10:10 PM   #21
Bayliss

Good news... good news. (Is sup ready yet mom? My mouth is sure watering...)

On a side note, I used to love reading Hoopsworld but I hate the way they've turned into an Espn Insider clone. I realize that websites cost money but it's a tease... somethings shouldn't cost. It's almost like me charging people so they can read my reviews on my website @horrorbay.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:44 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

First of all...props to David and MFF for those stories...

Secondly...it sure seems to me at this point that nellie/cubes have a deal in place for Askarabic for next year. So the question arises....who do the Mavs take this year in the draft and who are the free agent targets? We just assumed that Askarabic was a done deal for the most part and that we would pick uip some second tier guy and maybe trade NVE....now it's on....What is Nellie up to anyway? I love this time of the year....
Old 06-16-2002, 10:56 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

now it's time to see if nellie will address the mavs' main issues or if he's dead set on trying to simply outscore every other team.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 10:57 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Maybe this will be good for the Mavs....not getting Askarabic this year will indeed force Nellie to be creative in addressing the weaker points on the team. Good call.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:56 AM   #25
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

now it's time to see if nellie will address the mavs' main issues or if he's dead set on trying to simply outscore every other team.

Yes this would be nice, but we'll see what happens..
Old 06-17-2002, 09:01 AM   #26
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< Rumors are conflicting about the possible deal for a mid first round draft pick but if Dallas strengthens the frontcourt with Askrabic to fit into the 2002-03 rotation it may be probable that the Mavs' would look at the backcourt if they were to obtain that rumored pick. >>

If we get a mid to late first round choice, I would hope we would target someone like Dan Gadzuric. Even though he may take awhile to develop, he has great potential and would be worth the developmental time, especially since it so hard to acquire athletic big man.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:49 AM   #27
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I would hope that this isn't Nelson's plan, assuming the deal is legit and we would be landing a mid round pick. We have some of the right pieces, it's time to deal with what we still need instead of worrying about foiling everyone else's deals.

I'm also assuming the deal is for NVE??

Looking at 15-28, there's only a few teams that I can see wanting NVE.

(15)Houston, Philly, New Orleans, Orlando, Utah, Toronto, Portland, Phoenix, Detroit, New Jersey, Denver, SA, Lakers, (28)Sacramento.

Any ideas??
Old 06-17-2002, 03:18 PM   #28
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< I'm also assuming the deal is for NVE?? >>

I will preface this by stating that I hope that this is not true. I would hope we could get more than a mid 1st rounder for Quick. If not, I just assume keep him and not do this deal.

<< Looking at 15-28, there's only a few teams that I can see wanting NVE.

(15)Houston, Philly, New Orleans, Orlando, Utah, Toronto, Portland, Phoenix, Detroit, New Jersey, Denver, SA, Lakers, (28)Sacramento.

Any ideas??
>>

Quick thoughts and initial reactions for each team:

Houston - you don't go risking a relationship with Franchise in an extension year with a move like this.

Philly - risky. Can Iverson and Nick co-exist? Will Brown stick around to find out?

New Orleans - see Houston and insert Baron.

Orlando - why would they give up their 2003 cap space and a possible run at Duncan to take on Nick's contract?

Utah - only after Stockton retires would Miller even consider this and still wouldn't do it.

Toronto - likely suspect, however, a team so concerned with the luxury tax would be trading players with salaries, not draft picks.

Portland - possibility. It's no secret they are shopping Damon and they are not afraid of the big contracts or big egos.

Pheonix - an unpredictable management so you never know. Could Marbury be convinced to play SG?

Detriot - you have to play defense to even get a look from Dumars and Nick's got none.

New Jersey - if they want a shot at re-signing Kidd after next season, they don't deal for Nick.

Denver - you gotta be kidding me!

San Antonio - besides Tony Parker being cheap for another 2 years, they are saving cap space.

LA Lakers - Shaq ran him Nick out of LA so why would he bring him back in?

Sacramento - fairly certain that they would rather concentrate on Bibby's re-signing.

A couple of suspects here at best. Honestly, I would be surprised if this rumoured deal involved Nick at all but if he is the key to this deal, we better be getting something more than a mid 1st rounder for him or shame on us.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:08 PM   #29
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< A couple of suspects here at best. Honestly, I would be surprised if this rumoured deal involved Nick at all but if he is the key to this deal, we better be getting something more than a mid 1st rounder for him or shame on us. >>

All trade scenarios have the cap as part of the equation. With Nick at $10.1, a team will have to be WAY under the cap, or we will have to take back significant salary in the deal, even with mutliple teams involved.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:49 PM   #30
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I agree that the Mavericks should definitely be able to turn NVE into more than a simple mid-first rounder. However, with any team over the cap, we can't do a 'NVE for a pick' trade. Balanceing salaries will have to be included. That said, some comments on your breakdown.

<< Houston - you don't go risking a relationship with Franchise in an extension year with a move like this. >>

NVE is already playing back up to Nash. He might be willing to play backup to Francis. In such a case, Moochie would have almost certainly have to be coming back our way in addition to the pick. Not a particularly good deal for us and I don't see that it does much for Houston, but its at least possible.

<< Philly - risky. Can Iverson and Nick co-exist? Will Brown stick around to find out? >>

Philly desperately needs another scorer, whether Iverson likes it or not. But because they play Iverson at the 2, they need a big point guard (like Snow) for defense. This is highly unlikely.

<< New Orleans - see Houston and insert Baron. >>

A very real possibility. The Hornets clearly need a back-up for Davis. NVE gives them a 3 guard rotation of Davis, Wesley, and NVE--undersized but still very impressive.

<< Orlando - why would they give up their 2003 cap space and a possible run at Duncan to take on Nick's contract? >>

Trade would make no sense at all.

<< Utah - only after Stockton retires would Miller even consider this and still wouldn't do it. >>

Again--Utah needs a competent backup for Stockton. But they have Lopez coming next year and while he's their point guard of the future, they can't expect to have NVE back up a rookie without problems. So no deal.

<< Toronto - likely suspect, however, a team so concerned with the luxury tax would be trading players with salaries, not draft picks. >>

Any deal with NVE to anyone over the cap (all these teams except possibly Orlando and Detroit) is going to involve salaries in addition to the pick (and possibly several of Cuban's millions), so Toronto still seems one of the best options out there.

<< Portland - possibility. It's no secret they are shopping Damon and they are not afraid of the big contracts or big egos. >>

Possible. But unlikely. Dale Davis is the only thing they have that I think Dallas would want and as above, a trade would have to involve matching salaries in addition to the pick.

<< Pheonix - an unpredictable management so you never know. Could Marbury be convinced to play SG? >>

What player are they going to give us? Highly unlikely.

<< Detriot - you have to play defense to even get a look from Dumars and Nick's got none. >>

OTOH, Detroit, like Philly, needs another scorer. And even more than Philly, they need a competent point guard. They would have to be feeling desperate, but its still a possibility.

<< New Jersey - if they want a shot at re-signing Kidd after next season, they don't deal for Nick. >>

Again, they need a back-up for Kidd in a big way. Unlike New Orleans though, they have a lot of other positions they need to shore up as a higher priority than backup pg. I agree, no chance with this one.

<< Denver - you gotta be kidding me! >>

Would be funny.

<< San Antonio - besides Tony Parker being cheap for another 2 years, they are saving cap space. >>

Agreed.

<< LA Lakers - Shaq ran him Nick out of LA so why would he bring him back in? >>

Agreed

<< Sacramento - fairly certain that they would rather concentrate on Bibby's re-signing. >>

With Bibby and Jackson they are set. Any deals they do will be aimed at shedding some cash to lower the luxury tax hit of Bibby's new contract. NVE need not apply.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:59 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

As far as Askrabic not coming that makes this off season even better. I wasnt up for getting Askrabic even tho he shoots 73% from the field and averages 14 a game. That just shows he cant create his own shot and being the history of other overseas players im sure his defense isnt a plus either and we definately dont need that. I hope we look at the free agent pool and sign a guy like Matt Harpring or being that everyone wants to ship NVE I would love to get Michael Redd here if possible. Yes we should go after our main problem which is a Big Man that we dont have but its gonna be hard but it cant hurt to have a guy who can score here and play defense either goin after a big man isnt that easy.

1996-2005
Old 06-17-2002, 05:09 PM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< I agree that the Mavericks should definitely be able to turn NVE into more than a simple mid-first rounder. However, with any team over the cap, we can't do a 'NVE for a pick' trade. Balanceing salaries will have to be included. That said, some comments on your breakdown.

<< Houston - you don't go risking a relationship with Franchise in an extension year with a move like this. >>

NVE is already playing back up to Nash. He might be willing to play backup to Francis. In such a case, Moochie would have almost certainly have to be coming back our way in addition to the pick. Not a particularly good deal for us and I don't see that it does much for Houston, but its at least possible.

<< Philly - risky. Can Iverson and Nick co-exist? Will Brown stick around to find out? >>

Philly desperately needs another scorer, whether Iverson likes it or not. But because they play Iverson at the 2, they need a big point guard (like Snow) for defense. This is highly unlikely.

<< New Orleans - see Houston and insert Baron. >>

A very real possibility. The Hornets clearly need a back-up for Davis. NVE gives them a 3 guard rotation of Davis, Wesley, and NVE--undersized but still very impressive.

<< Orlando - why would they give up their 2003 cap space and a possible run at Duncan to take on Nick's contract? >>

Trade would make no sense at all.

<< Utah - only after Stockton retires would Miller even consider this and still wouldn't do it. >>

Again--Utah needs a competent backup for Stockton. But they have Lopez coming next year and while he's their point guard of the future, they can't expect to have NVE back up a rookie without problems. So no deal.

<< Toronto - likely suspect, however, a team so concerned with the luxury tax would be trading players with salaries, not draft picks. >>

Any deal with NVE to anyone over the cap (all these teams except possibly Orlando and Detroit) is going to involve salaries in addition to the pick (and possibly several of Cuban's millions), so Toronto still seems one of the best options out there.

<< Portland - possibility. It's no secret they are shopping Damon and they are not afraid of the big contracts or big egos. >>

Possible. But unlikely. Dale Davis is the only thing they have that I think Dallas would want and as above, a trade would have to involve matching salaries in addition to the pick.

<< Pheonix - an unpredictable management so you never know. Could Marbury be convinced to play SG? >>

What player are they going to give us? Highly unlikely.

<< Detriot - you have to play defense to even get a look from Dumars and Nick's got none. >>

OTOH, Detroit, like Philly, needs another scorer. And even more than Philly, they need a competent point guard. They would have to be feeling desperate, but its still a possibility.

<< New Jersey - if they want a shot at re-signing Kidd after next season, they don't deal for Nick. >>

Again, they need a back-up for Kidd in a big way. Unlike New Orleans though, they have a lot of other positions they need to shore up as a higher priority than backup pg. I agree, no chance with this one.

<< Denver - you gotta be kidding me! >>

Would be funny.

<< San Antonio - besides Tony Parker being cheap for another 2 years, they are saving cap space. >>

Agreed.

<< LA Lakers - Shaq ran him Nick out of LA so why would he bring him back in? >>

Agreed

<< Sacramento - fairly certain that they would rather concentrate on Bibby's re-signing. >>

With Bibby and Jackson they are set. Any deals they do will be aimed at shedding some cash to lower the luxury tax hit of Bibby's new contract. NVE need not apply.
>>

There is no way NVE wants to play back up at the end of his career. IT wont be smart for him especially being that he still has some gas left in his tank at 31. I just dont see NVE going to any team that has a nice pg at the posistion and NVE being happy with a backup role. I think Detroit makes the most sense out of all the teams being that they have alot of inconsistent scorers and Atkins isnt a better point guard than NVE but if im correct Detroit has a late pick becuase they were second in the east conference. Anything can happen tho didnt Golden State trade there pick to Atlanta and they got Jason Terry? NVE is 10 times a better baller than Mookie.

1996-2005
Old 06-17-2002, 05:48 PM   #33
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Edit
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:39 PM   #34
MavsFanFinley
Guru

If NVE isn't the player that could possibly land us a mid-round pick, then what is it that the 'supposed' team wants from us??

Fin, Dirk and Nash are out.

Raef, Wang, Najera, Newman and Buckner are free agents and would have to agree to a sign and trade. Raef can land something higher than mid-round to my thinking. Newman isn't even a factor.

I have hard time believing it's for Bradley or Esch. Utah is a maybe for Bradley, but still seems like a stretch to me.

Manningand TAW are out for different reasons.

I guess Griffin and AJ are possibilities.

I know Cuban's cash can make some teams talk, but I'm not seeing what package it is that a team is wanting from us and that we're considering.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #35
Drbio
Banned

Bradley to Utah wouldn't surprise me too much...
Old 06-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #36
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< If NVE isn't the player that could possibly land us a mid-round pick, then what is it that the 'supposed' team wants from us?? >>

The thing to keep in mind is that unless we are trading with a team under the cap, we *cannot* just trade NVE (or Bradley or any other player with a contract) for a draft pick straight up. Until a player is signed, a draft pick or the draft rights to a player are worth $0 for cap purposes and you have to take back as much salary as you send out. And even once a player is signed, I don't think even the #1 pick makes as much NVE on the current rookie scale. So a trade would be NVE (+ possible cash) for Player(s) X + the pick.

NVE for a pick is a waste of a trade asset, but it won't be NVE for a pick. The value of the trade will depend as much on 'player x' as on the pick.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 PM   #37
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I understand that now, Hoops. I should have made myself more clear about what I was asking.

Some were making it sound like it couldn't be NVE that was going to land us the pick because of his salary or because he could get us something higher than a mid-round pick.

I was just trying to point out that our best chance of getting into the first round is NVE assuming we're not just buying a pick like we did with Orlando/Courtney Alexander.

Is it that big of a stretch to assume that the 'supposed' deal is NVE (Cash as you suggest) for X player and the pick?