Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Q Carr Article from Star Telegram

Clarence E. Hill Jr. , StarTelegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Cowboys quarterback Quincy Carter has spent much of his NFL career looking up to Eagles star Donovan McNabb.

A similarly styled run-pass quarterback, McNabb was the perfect example of what Carter hoped to develop into one day.

And ever since his mom became fast friends with McNabb's mom when they worked with the NFL Mothers Association -- resulting in a bond between the two players -- Carter gained a confidant as well as a role model.

But this relationship always had an order, with McNabb as the established star and Carter a work in progress.

So it will be a bit of role reversal in the Eagles-Cowboys game Sunday at Texas Stadium, with Carter coming in playing like someone on the verge of a Campbell's commercial and McNabb heading for the soup line.

Carter's surprising play, one season after he was benched, is a big reason the Cowboys (3-1) are in first place in the NFC East for the first time since 1999.

As the leader of the league's top-ranked offense, Carter ranks sixth in the NFC in quarterback rating, third in passing yards and first in yards per pass.

Meanwhile, McNabb's struggles have typified the Eagles' slow start. After leading the Eagles (2-2) to consecutive NFC title games, McNabb has fallen far off in 2003. His quarterback rating of 51.3 is next-to-last in the NFC. He's thrown one touchdown, been intercepted four times and has not produced any magic with his feet.

"There's so much love between us, I feel for him," Carter said. "He knows what I went through last year. But I know what kind of person Donovan is. He works hard. He is a strong man. He just had a couple of bad games. He will be fine."

Never mind McNabb's struggles, which have been sullied by radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh's allegations that the Eagles quarterback is overrated and receives favorable media treatment because he's black. The shock in this new relationship is Carter's rise from nearly forgotten to a difference-making force.

He did it the old-fashioned way with boot-strap pulling hard work -- not NFL-sponsored affirmative action.

"Everyone was pretty down on him last year and the year before," McNabb said. "But I think what Quincy has done and he's shown it -- his work ethic in the off-season, he's shown it -- just his dedication of just trying to be a better quarterback, and it's paying off."

Carter had impressed Cowboys coach Bill Parcells by coming to the club's Valley Ranch complex before daylight and leaving well after dark. Carter took that approach a step further following Sunday's victory against the Arizona Cardinals.

"I will tell you this, just so you know, when the game is over, he ices after the game, then he comes over here and watches the film, so that ought to tell you something," Parcells said. "Now when quarterbacks coach Sean Payton tells him what he did wrong the next day, he already knows. ... He could be out having a good time, but he's not. He's in here taking care of his business. That's important to me. I'll bet you there weren't too many other quarterbacks in the NFL doing that."

Carter wasn't doing that last year, either. But once he got over the shock of being benched in favor of Chad Hutchinson after seven games in 2002, he made a vow to himself that he would give football 100 percent of his attention.

Of course, Parcells' presence helped along the process, considering the demands he puts on his quarterbacks. But Carter, who won the starting job in training camp, followed through by making the Cowboys' complex his home away from home.

"This is my work spot," Carter said. "This is how it should be. I am single. My kids live with my mom. What else should I be doing? God has put me in a place where I can take care of my kids and my mom. I don't have too many burdens. It's my job and my duty to give football 100 percent and prepare myself the best way."

Carter said Sunday's postgame celebration at the team's complex with the janitors and the film was just part of the job of being a quarterback that he learned from Parcells. The Cowboys generally put the game plan in on Wednesdays, and Carter says the two days prior to that are critical for him to get ahead of the process.

"I like to put the game behind me on the same night so when I get up here Monday I have a fresh start," Carter said. "I try to watch at least three games before Wednesday so when I go out to the walk-through, I have seen a lot of things already."

Carter's teammates can see the difference his new work ethic has had on his game and his team.

"Quincy is a lot of fun to play with now," said big-play receiver Joey Galloway, who has benefited from Carter's improved play. "He is prepared. He is confident. He knows more about this offense than anyone else."

Carter, however, refuses to be satisfied, saying he has not proved anything yet.

"It's way too early," Carter said. "I am not even scratching the surface. I am not even close. I have to keep getting better. That's just more hard work."

Old 10-09-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to hear he is busting his hump to know the offense. It has shown in his play, which couldn't have gotten much worse last year. He hasn't looked as confused as he did at times last year. I swear, Coslet had him so scatterbrained that occassionally he didn't know which end zone he was going to last year. What a difference a coach makes. And the effort too.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:35 AM   #3
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

It's starting to show that Quincey is really serious about being a top Qb in this league. All the hours of game tape, and hours of practice is really starting to show with him in his games, and it's good to see. I think if Qcarr stays humble , knows he has room to improve, and doesn't let it get to his head, he has the chance to be a great QB in this league and I hope he becomes that great QB for the Cowboys.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I seriously doubt Parcells will let him start thinking he is more than he is. As long as Bill Parcells is coach of the Cowboys, Qok will be potentially improving.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Glad to see Quincy has his head in the right place. If he keeps it up, he could go a long way. Let's hope he does.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Great artcile. I remember reading something like this similiar last season but this one looks updated. It's funny because Carter is looking more like McNabb of last season and McNabb is looking like Quincy of last season.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

so what you're saying is that Carter is looking good and McNabb is sucking?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

FFM, i thought the same thing when reading this article....was asking myself if we were going to have to read an article like this every year.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: Q Carr Article from Star Telegram

Way to go Quincy, keep up the good work!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
so what you're saying is that Carter is looking good and McNabb is sucking?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

FFM, i thought the same thing when reading this article....was asking myself if we were going to have to read an article like this every year.

Basically. But yea when I started reading it seemed as if this was the same article as the one I read last year but this one had a quote from Parcell's.

1996-2005
Old 10-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Murph mcnabb has sucked this season when he only has one touchdown pass to a wide reciever this season and his best game throwing the ball was 173 yards. I buy that maybe mcnabb was overrated but not by the color of his skin.

Carter has shown poise and confidence this season, he is hitting wide recievers in stride. And is showing with time and when he sets his feet he can look really good. Its too early to start talking about the qb of the next decade but he is making his case. He missed a few recievers the other day but all qbs miss recievers his only pick came with a break down in coverage. Id like to see more rollouts in the redzone where carter can either make plays with his feet or throw it to either campbell or whitten.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sure, JayC..that's what I said.. Carter has looked good and McNabb has sucked this year
Old 10-09-2003, 05:23 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is how it should be. I am single. My kids live with my mom. What else should I be doing? God has put me in a place where I can take care of my kids and my mom.
Does anyone know how many kids Quincy has? I wonder where the mother(s) is(are)?
Old 10-09-2003, 05:27 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Maybe he adopted them, evil...simply out of the kindness of his heart
Old 10-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Yea maybe he did adopt. I could be wrong but last season I don't remember him having any kids when they showed his house on Fox.

1996-2005
Old 10-09-2003, 11:00 PM   #15
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

from his bio on dallascowboys.com

Quincy has two children, a daughter, Khai (8/1/95), and a son, Keyshawn (1/10/00).
Old 10-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

cool. He always comes out as a nice guy.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote