Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default The MVP Race

So, we are nearing the midway point in the season. (Ok, not quite, but humor me.)

The MVP talk is starting to pick up a bit. Bill Simmons had his top 3 as 1) LeBron 2) Amare and 3) Wade, with honorable mentions to Dirk, Nash, KG, and TD. (Strangely, Shaq was absent.)

Personally, I think that the MVP Award is waiting for Dirk to win it. I think if the Mavs pick up the pace just a bit (which I think they will - meaning, I think they will finish with a winning percentage above .688. I think they can win 58 games ) and Dirk maintains his current pace (and I think when February and March roll around he will pick UP his game) then....

Dirk is going to win the MVP award.

No, he is not the favorite right now. Kind of a dark horse. But lets break down the candidates, shall we?

KG - Will NOT win it. The TWolves are not good and will not get much better with Spree and Cassell breaking down.

Nash/ Amare - Cancel each other out. You can't give it to either one...because of the other. How can you give it to Amare when the the team sucked before Nash, the league leader in assists, go there? How can you give it to Nash when he plays with Amare, the heir apparent to Wilt Chamberlain?

Shaq/ Wade - Similar situation to Nash/ Amare, except they are both more serious contenders, IMO. I think Shaq will eventually miss some games and his stats will not be overwhelming. Wade will not win, because he plays with the Diesel (the current Wilt Chamberlain.)

I think it will come down to Dirk, TD and LeBron.

I don't think TD will win it because his numbers - 22 and 11 -- are not "eye popping."

In the end, it will be Dirk vs. LeBron.

The Diggler vs. The King

Right now, the Mavs have a record of 22-10, and are riding a 5 game winning streak.

Dirk is at 27 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 blocks, 1.3 steals, 45% from the field, 10 free throws a game at 85% a clip. Efficiency rating of 28.26.

The Cavs are at 20-12 and have won 3 in a row.

LeBron is at 24 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 block, 2.3 steals, 49% from the field, 7 free throws a game at 75% a clip. Efficiency rating of

The Spurs are at 28-8 and have won 8 of their last 10.

Duncan is at 22 points, 11 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 3 blocks, .7 steals, 50% from the field, 7.8 free throws a game at a 64% clip. Efficiency rating of 26.81.

I am not saying he is the favorite,

but......

Dirk has a great shot to be the 2004-2005 MVP. In fact, if I had to put my money somewhere....I would put it on

Dirk.

Bet the house on it.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:The MVP Race

We'll see. We gotta win some games first though. No game is a given this season.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: The MVP Race

Duncan, Steve and Dirk have the best chance right now! I'd give it to Nash at this point!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I think the league eventually gives it to Lebron especially if he keeps his 25/7/7 up for the rest of the season. I don't think Duncan gets it this year unless the Spurs end up with the best record in the West or I guess the league for that matter. Same goes for Dirk. At this point of the season it should go to Nash but it will be interesting to see if he breaks down towards the end of the season like he did here.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If the Cavs end up the season looking like legit challengers to Miami and Detroit for the Eastern Conference crown the MVP will probably be his to lose. Working against the Cavs in that regard is the fact that they have, thus far, had one of the easiest schedules in the league (the easiest according to Sagarin's ranking system). Their tougher remaining schedule could put a dent in King James' coronation if the Cavs don't find a way to keep winning.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
dirk41nowitzki

dirk41nowitzki is on a distinguished road

Dirk may not even be named to the All-NBA first team let alone the MVP.
At the end, people are still going to point to his defense, his ability to make his teammates better as his weakness.
C-Shaq/Amare
F-Garnett
F-Duncan/Lebron/Dirk
G-Kobe/Ray
G-Nash/Wade

This is how the All-NBA first team will end up being like. KG is the only lock on the team with his amazing numbers, not saying he'll win MVP though because of his team's record.

It is too early to tell anyways so its all a moot point.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

If the Wolves continue to struggle Dirk may get enough votes to join Shaq, Duncan, Steve and James in the All NBA 1st team! Kobe and Amare WILL NOT be in the team! btw Amare is no center, even if he plays that position right now.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
dirk41nowitzki

Quote:
Originally posted by: #41
If the Wolves continue to struggle Dirk may get enough votes to join Shaq, Duncan, Steve and James in the All NBA 1st team! Kobe and Amare WILL NOT be in the team! btw Amare is no center, even if he plays that position right now.
Thats not necessarily true. Amare is starts at C so he will have to be voted in as a center on the all-NBA team. I am pretty sure about that. Duncan will not be voted in as a C since he starts at PF, unless Malone joins him and forces him to play C. Lebron meanwhile is a F because on every boxscore he's listed at SF while Newble at SG, so unless there are changes in the second half of the season, Lebron will be voted in as a F, which makes the F spot even tougher. So Kobe will easily make the team with averages of 28/7/7.
As for Garnett, I think as long as his team is still in the playoffs it will be impossible to leave him out. He's the only Wolves who is playing consistently so it's not his fault his team is losing.
The best chance for Dirk to make the team I'd say is if he plays more center. That would probably only happen if Dampier (touch wood) gets injured.
The way I see it, the All-NBA teams will go (as of now):
C-Amare
F-Garnett
F-Lebron
G-Kobe
G-Nash
2nd team
C-Shaq
F-Duncan
F-Dirk
G-Ray
G-Wade
This could be one of the most wide open races for MVP in a while.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
dirk41nowitzki

Quote:
Originally posted by: #41
Thats not necessarily true. Amare is starts at C so he will have to be voted in as a center on the all-NBA team. I am pretty sure about that. Duncan will not be voted in as a C since he starts at PF, unless Malone joins him and forces him to play C. Lebron meanwhile is a F because on every boxscore he's listed at SF while Newble at SG, so unless there are changes in the second half of the season, Lebron will be voted in as a F, which makes the F spot even tougher. So Kobe will easily make the team with averages of 28/7/7.
As for Garnett, I think as long as his team is still in the playoffs it will be impossible to leave him out. He's the only Wolves who is playing consistently so it's not his fault his team is losing.
The best chance for Dirk to make the team I'd say is if he plays more center. That would probably only happen if Dampier (touch wood) gets injured.
The way I see it, the All-NBA teams will go (as of now):
C-Amare
F-Garnett
F-Lebron
G-Kobe
G-Nash
2nd team
C-Shaq
F-Duncan
F-Dirk
G-Ray
G-Wade
This could be one of the most wide open races for MVP in a while.