Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Longhorn jailed, one cited

Quote:
One Longhorn jailed, one cited
By Jimmy Burch
jburch@star-telegram.com

Texas receiver Tyrell Gatewood remained in custody Thursday in Travis County Jail after an early-morning arrest on two misdemeanor charges of possession of a dangerous drug, as well as an outstanding reckless driving charge from March in Dallas County.

In addition, freshman defensive back Ben Wells -- who was riding with Gatewood at the time of his arrest -- was issued a field citation for possession of drug paraphernalia. Roger Wade, a spokesman for the Travis County Sheriff’s office, said Wells was released after being issued the citation.

According to jail records, Gatewood was booked at 12:36 a.m. Thursday. It marks Gatewood’s second arrest since last September. Along with Wells, they become the fifth and sixth Longhorns to have brushes with the law since June 1.

Currently, defensive end Henry Melton and linebacker Sergio Kindle are serving three-game suspensions for being charged in separate driving-while-intoxicated incidents during the summer. Defensive end Dre Jones is suspended indefinitely after being charged in relation to an aggravated robbery on July 27. Former Longhorns’ safety Robert Joseph, also charged in the aggravated robbery on July 27, is no longer on the team.

Gatewood, a senior, also was arrested on Sept. 4, 2006 and charged with marijuana possession, along with former Texas teammates Tarell Brown and Aaron Harris. Those charges against Gatewood were subsequently dropped.

Gatewood, who has floated between defensive back and receiver during his college career, plays primarily on special teams. He has made two tackles this season for the sixth-ranked Longhorns (2-0), who play Saturday at Central Florida. Wells, an incoming freshman from Beaumont Ozen, has yet to play this season.

According to the arrest warrant, Gatewood was stopped for a minor traffic offense. The officer detected an odor of marijuana and found trace amounts of the drug in the vehicle, but not enough to trigger a marijuana possession charge.

Upon searching the vehicle, the officer also discovered two prescription drugs in a baby bottle -- Xanax and promethazine codene. Gatewood was unable to produce a prescription in his name for either drug, Wade said, and was arrested for possession of a dangerous drug.

A background check showed a warrant issued March 12 against Gatewood in Dallas County for reckless driving, Wade said. All three charges against Gatewood are Class A misdemeanors. Bond was set at $2,500 for each of the drug charges and $500 for the out-of-county reckless driving charge.

Texas coach Mack Brown has yet to comment on Thursday’s situation involving Gatewood and Wells. In August, he issued a “zero-tolerance” policy for police-blotter incidents and publicly apologized to Texas fans, administrators and students for “the embarrassing incidents that occurred this summer.”

“In no way are those (arrests) indicative of what we’ve worked so hard for nine and a half years to build with class, character and integrity at the University of Texas,” Brown said on Aug. 5, the day his team reported for fall drills. “We have a zero-tolerance policy and ... the large majority are listening. The few that aren’t will be disciplined and punished and we’ll move forward.”
Baby bottle full of drugs?

Weird.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Mack Brown seems to have a new and innovative definition of 'zero-tolerance'.

I know UT went a long time without a winning team, but if the university and the alumni and the city are willing to put up with all these types of offenses in the sheer volume and frequency that they're occurring, then they have seriously lost sight of what they're supposed to be doing.

At what point is Mack Brown going to be held accountable? It's like he's angling for a job in Norman.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 09-13-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr

I know UT went a long time without a winning team, but if the university and the alumni and the city are willing to put up with all these types of offenses in the sheer volume and frequency that they're occurring, then they have seriously lost sight of what they're supposed to be doing.

At what point is Mack Brown going to be held accountable? It's like he's angling for a job in Norman.
Not sure what you mean by this. Mack hasn't even had a chance to punish/kick these guys off the team for this incident.

How can he be accused of not following his "zero tolerance" doctrine when he hasnt even had a chance to do anything? Zero tolerance doesnt mean he can walk around with them and personally prevent them from doing anything stupid.

*Edit to add*. He's suspended indefinitely from the team. Seems pretty reasonable to me:

http://texas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?...id=902&style=2 ($$$).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 09-13-2007 at 05:12 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:

At this point, it's pretty fair to say that Stoops is running a much cleaner program than Brown. The Longhorns are becoming the Cincinnati Bengals of the NCAA.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Not sure what you mean by this. Mack hasn't even had a chance to punish/kick these guys off the team for this incident.

How can he be accused of not following his "zero tolerance" doctrine when he hasnt even had a chance to do anything? Zero tolerance doesnt mean he can walk around with them and personally prevent them from doing anything stupid.

*Edit to add*. He's suspended indefinitely from the team. Seems pretty reasonable to me:

http://texas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?...id=902&style=2 ($$$).
Zero-tolerance doesn't mean an 'indefinite suspension'. It means an immediate and permanent dismissal from the team.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
The Longhorns are becoming the Cincinnati Bengals of the NCAA.
I was about to make the same comparison. DMN says they've had six run-ins with the law in just the last four months.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
At this point, it's pretty fair to say that Stoops is running a much cleaner program than Brown.
Yeah, but I figure that puts Stoops on pretty shaky ground up there.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Zero-tolerance doesn't mean an 'indefinite suspension'. It means an immediate and permanent dismissal from the team.
That's not even the point. You made that comment before the penalty had even come down. You had no idea whether Mack would a) do nothing b) suspend him c) kick him off the team or d) whatever else, yet you posted that he wasn't conveying a zero tolerance attitude. That makes no sense.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 09-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
That's not even the point. You made that comment before the penalty had even come down. You had no idea whether Mack would a) do nothing b) suspend him c) kick him off the team or d) whatever else, yet you posted that he wasn't conveying a zero tolerance attitude. That makes no sense.
Nah, I was kinda going on the fact that he has 2-3 plaers on 2-3 game suspensions for drunk driving offenses or possession offenses or whatever.

When the university decides its eye is black enough, the punishments will be immediate and permanent suspensions, not slap-on-the-wrist and wait-and-see. And when they get tired of Mack Brown, he'll take his JImmy Johnson act elsewhere.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 09-14-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
According to the arrest warrant, Gatewood was stopped for a minor traffic offense.
The arrest occurred at night time in a north-east Austin area. If you are from Austin, you understand that areas east of I-35 tend to generally be lower in socio-economic-status.

The minor traffic offense was for not signaling in sufficient time at a stop light for a right turn.

Gatewood had signaled, but only a short time before making the turn.

Sigh--I'm not trying to defend what he had in the car and I know this is an assumption, but... Racial profiling is a B. Just horrible.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Racial profiling is a B. Just horrible.
So is living up to a negative stereotype. Horrible. And dumb.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So is living up to a negative stereotype. Horrible. And dumb.
Of course. That's what I said. I'm not supporting that. But to me, racial profiling was the first stone casted.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
LonghornDub

Quote:
Nah, I was kinda going on the fact that he has 2-3 plaers on 2-3 game suspensions for drunk driving offenses or possession offenses or whatever.

When the university decides its eye is black enough, the punishments will be immediate and permanent suspensions, not slap-on-the-wrist and wait-and-see. And when they get tired of Mack Brown, he'll take his JImmy Johnson act elsewhere.
What a ridiculous comparison. Do you intend to destroy your credibility so readily, or does it just happen by accident?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
What a ridiculous comparison. Do you intend to destroy your credibility so readily, or does it just happen by accident?

It's not my credibility that's at stake here--it's Mack Brown's.

And who gives a f*ck about ANY internet poster's credibility anyway?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
LonghornDub

Quote:
It's not my credibility that's at stake here--it's Mack Brown's.

And who gives a f*ck about ANY internet poster's credibility anyway?
You're right. People posting on the internet aren't real people and their opinions are worthless.

My fault.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #16
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Roll call: Henry Melton, Sergio Kindle, Dre Jones, Robert Joseph.
I guess Joesph doesn't really count, but still.......

Shouldn't take a prodigy to see the pattern.

Quote:
You're right. People posting on the internet aren't real people and their opinions are worthless.

My fault.
Quote:
Longhorns safety suspended indefinitely

By JIMMY BURCH
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Texas safety Tyrell Gatewood has been suspended indefinitely after his arrest on two counts of misdemeanor drug charges, coach Mack Brown said Thursday.

In addition, freshman defensive back Ben Wells, a prep All-American who was riding with Gatewood at the time of his arrest, was issued a field citation for possession of drug paraphernalia. Roger Wade, a spokesman for the Travis County Sheriff's Office, said Wells was released after being issued the citation.

Gatewood was booked at 12:36 a.m. Thursday on charges of possession of a dangerous drug. A background check uncovered an outstanding reckless driving charge from March 12 in Dallas County. Gatewood, 22, was released after posting $5,500 in bonds.

It marks Gatewood's second arrest since last September. Gatewood and Wells become the fifth and sixth Longhorns to have brushes with the law since June 1.

Currently, defensive end Henry Melton and linebacker Sergio Kindle are serving three-game suspensions for separate incidents of driving while intoxicated in June and July, respectively. Defensive end Dre Jones is suspended indefinitely after being charged in relation to an aggravated robbery on July 27. A former Longhorns safety, Robert Joseph, was also charged in the aggravated robbery on July 27.

Gatewood, a senior, also was arrested on Sept. 4, 2006, and charged with marijuana possession, along with former Texas teammates Tarell Brown and Aaron Harris. Those charges against Gatewood were subsequently dropped.

At the start of fall drills, Mack Brown issued a "zero-tolerance" policy for police-blotter incidents and publicly apologized to Texas fans, administrators and students for "the embarrassing incidents that occurred this summer."

In a statement issued Thursday, Brown said: "We're aware of the recent situation with Tyrell Gatewood. We've talked to Tyrell and his family and decided to suspend him indefinitely, pending the completion of the legal process."

Brown's statement did not mention Wells, who has yet to play this season and is eligible to be redshirted. Gatewood's attorney, Jamie Balagia, said his client accepts Brown's discipline.

"With all of the comments being made about the Texas football team right now, his most important concern... is this incident's reflection on the team," Balagia said. "Tyrell accepts [Brown's suspension] and he is sorry for any embarrassment he has caused."

According to the arrest warrant, Gatewood was stopped for failure to signal 100 feet prior to turning at an intersection. The officer said he detected an odor of marijuana and found trace amounts of the drug in the vehicle.

Upon searching the vehicle, the officer discovered two prescription drugs -- Xanax and promethazine/codeine cough syrup (street name "Lean"). Gatewood was unable to produce a prescription in his name for either drug and was cited for possession of a dangerous drug.

All three charges against Gatewood are Class A misdemeanors.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 09-14-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #17
LonghornDub

Quote:
Roll call: Henry Melton, Sergio Kindle, Dre Jones, Robert Joseph.
I guess Joesph doesn't really count, but still.......

Shouldn't take a prodigy to see the pattern.
I'm not arguing there's no pattern. I'm not even arguing that something doesn't need to be done. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with where the program is at right now in terms of behavioral issues off the field.

I just think you're quite ignorant if you think Mack Brown is anything but a stand up coach and one of the highest character guys around. He can't spend every minute with the kids and watch their every move. As for your assessment of the punishments, no coach in their right mind would kick guys off the team for their first misdemeanor offense. Are you saying nobody you listed deserves a second chance? Because all those guys (sans Gatewood) hadn't been caught doing anything before.

As for Gatewood, "indefinite suspension" quite clearly means that he won't be playing for UT anymore. When Ramonce Taylor had his 2nd run in with the law before last season, he was "indefinitely suspended" and then soon after kicked off the team. And Ramonce was one of the best players on the roster. So it's not like Mack lets guys mess up more than once and get away with it.

Honestly, I'd just like to see one point of support from you for the idea that Mack isn't doing what any decent, reasonable coach would do.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of longhorns, is anyone watching this crazy game?

UCF could take the lead here in the 4th quarter.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Speaking of longhorns, is anyone watching this crazy game?

UCF could take the lead here in the 4th quarter.
Yep, saw the game. Horns won but looks like they'll be going down in the rankings.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

At this rate UT will be undefeated and unranked.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
At this rate UT will be undefeated and unranked.
lol bingo.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #22
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

i think dismissal would be the worst thing possible for these kids. we're not talking about some rich prep kid that can transfer and play somewhere else, and we're not talking about a calculated offense (rhett bomar, when did YOU get here?) or kids with a history of this sort of stuff. President Bush had a DUI in college. He was not precluded from future success. Sergio Kindle had a DUI in college. He should not be precluded from future success.

these guys made a mistake. mack brown and the AD are handling the situation extremely well, and any accusations to the contrary are in extremely poor taste.

Last edited by nowhereman; 09-16-2007 at 09:28 PM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #23
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
i think dismissal would be the worst thing possible for these kids. we're not talking about some rich prep kid that can transfer and play somewhere else, and we're not talking about a calculated offense (rhett bomar, when did YOU get here?) or kids with a history of this sort of stuff. President Bush had a DUI in college. He was not precluded from future success. Sergio Kindle had a DUI in college. He should not be precluded from future success.

these guys made a mistake. mack brown and the AD are handling the situation extremely well, and any accusations to the contrary are in extremely poor taste.
In poor taste or not, I disagree.

I think a dismissal from the team would be the best possible way to get their attention and let them know they're blowing it. Not to say that they wouldn't get a second chance either, but their second chance would come at a second-rate program in a year or two after they've had a chance to get back on track.

These kids are getting a huge opportunity, and it's clear that some of them don't understand or respect or value what they're being GIVEN. And I'm not talking about an opportunity to play professionally--the majority won't be that talented. Rather the opportunity to get an educational credential and network among Longhorn alumni. A diploma and contacts will give them opportunies down the road for a better standard of living. Instead these boneheads waste their time (and their opportunity) by dabbling in drugs, driving under the influence, and even getting involved in robberies.

Brown would make a much bigger impression by saying the next person to be arrested, or the next person to be cited for possession, or the next person to be pulled over in a car where someone else is carrying an illegal firearm, or controlled substances, or whatever....the next one is off the team immediately and permanently. And follow through with it. Brown's team rules don't have to be at legal standards of proof.

We'll see how it all turns out. If there are no more incidents in the next couple of years, then I'll concede Brown was right. If there continue to be incidents anything like the rate there have been, I'll continue to believe a harder line approach would be more effective.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #24
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

bump

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #25
ty
Diamond Member

Sigh...don't they know the eyes of Texas are upon them =[