Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-03-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Please vote in the poll.
Also, if you know any good tweaks, post them here.
I´m running on XP Pro. My new Sony GR314MP Notebook came with XP Pro too, but I plan on switching to my old 2000 Pro.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

A very good tweak for XP is to increase the icon cache.
Go to the start menu, there "Ausführen" (I don´t know how that is called in the english version, maybe execute). Type in "regedit", which brings up regedit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. There you must go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Explorer.
In the right window, right-click a blank area and choose "New" - "String Value" and call it "Max Cached Icons". Press return. Double-click this new Key and type the value 8192 into the box.

This should increase the speed when opening folders by a significant ammount. Only use this on XP. If you have any problems or don´t know what to do, abort the whole thing and ask here, cause playing with the registry can be bad for your OS if not done correctly.

Oh and you need to reboot of course.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
Fidel
Diamond Member

Another very good tweak for XP:
It is for the start menu and other explorer related menus. They have a delay between different tiers of the menu hierarchy. To speed this up, you must change the value of delay to zero. This will allow the different tiers to appear instantly.

Start Regedit. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop. Select "MenuShowDelay" from the list on the right. Rightclick on it and select modify. Change the value to 0. If 0 seems too fast for you, you can choose something like 100 which is still much quicker than the default 400. Reboot your computer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

More to come...
Old 07-03-2002, 06:50 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

No offense but WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Fidel
Diamond Member

Yeah Rob, I should have included something like: "For advanced users only" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. But actually if you do it step by step these tweaks are pretty simple and they have a great affect of speeding up the system (especially the second one). There is stuff that is much more advanced. I´ll post some if anybody wants it.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:24 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Win2k Pro here. Hate XP.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:25 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Come on guys, nobody knows any tweaks? And vote please.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:28 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Yeah DJ I know what you mean, that´s why I want to switch back to 2000 Pro. But if you disable "Luna" on XP and all the built in stuff it´s not that much different from 2000.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:37 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I was forced to upgrade to XP Pro because apparently XP Home won't run IIS. Bill Gates sure knows how to squeeze every last dollar out of his customers.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:44 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

If the Palladium concept goes down as planed everybody will switch to Linux anyways.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:55 PM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

ahhh, I think I know what your talkin 'bout now. Computers?

I got an e-machine:e-monster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

edit - windows 98. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:19 PM   #12
Fidel
Diamond Member

LOL Rob.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:24 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Windows 98 on one, 2000 on another and XP on the laptop.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:57 PM   #14
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

seriously contemplating going back to the Mac when i get my next computer, maybe in a couple of years.

running WinME on desktop and Win98 SE on laptop.

also have a very cool Diamond Mako/Psion Revo Plus for PDA.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:33 PM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Windows XP = Windows FP (Fisher Price)

I still have 98 SE on my home computer. No need to upgrade. Win 2k on the company laptop.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:31 AM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Rhylan I disagree. XP is MUCH better than 98. It´s stable and fast if you know how to configure it. All that fancy stuff XP comes with like the new Luna GUI can easily be disabled. In fact there is not much difference between XP Pro and 2000 Pro. I know that it costs a little efford (and money) to upgrade from 98 to 2000 or XP, but it´s well worth it.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:28 AM   #17
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

<< Windows XP = Windows FP (Fisher Price) >>

LOL, Rhylan
Old 07-05-2002, 09:41 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't Tweaks that kid that drinks too much coffee on South Park?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote