Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
RoddyB#3

RoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really nice
Default Corey Maggette

This guy could easily be Dirk's other half. He is a wing that plays like a post player. If we are going to have a big that plays on the outside. Then why not grab a wing player who will make up for what your missing. I just think we need someone in that starting lineup who doesn't have a shooter's mentality. Corey knows what his strength is and he sticks to it. I'm aware of his defense, and that nasty contract. Dirk needs help though, and Corey may be exactly the fit we need next to him. There is a good chance they would do it for Howard straight up. They know they are going to be building around their young talent, and that does not include Maggette. They would also like out of that hefty contract. Just wanted to see what you guys think on this one.
RoddyB#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

love the way Maggette gets to the line. but i think they're probably waiting to see if they can get something better with J-Ho whether it's before Feb.18th or this summer. if they somehow could land a guy like Iggy without it costing us any depth up front then that would probably be best case scenario. it's unlikely any team gets back Iggy or Bosh w/out some young talent being included. and Roddy is probably off the table leaving us w/ very little to offer. Dalembert is playing extremely well and only has 1 yr. after this year. the guy they really want off their books is Brand but i don't think anyone wants any part of that. any trade involving Brand kills ANY future flexibility for the team that gets him.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
RoddyB#3

RoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really nice

I think your right on the whole 76ers and what they would be wanting back thing. Certainly would not be against Iggy and Dally, but it comes down to how greedy will they be for giving up Iggy. If we could pull Turiaf away from the Warriors with Maggette I think that wold be worth looking at. I could see them giving some serious thought to Howard and Gooden. They might even bite on that. We would save over 2 million with that deal straight up for this year as well. That's over 4 million in savings from the lux-tax.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i mean no way they're just giving Iguodala away. if they want to dump a contract along w/ him there are only a couple teams that can even consider such a thing, Dallas and Houston being the most obvious and maybe the only ones actually. i still think any deal involving Iggy requires young blood. they can't totally alienate their fanbase.
the concern with Maggette is we lose some lateral quickness and defensive flexibility. Josh is pretty good that way. and if we stumbled upon a stud wing for the Damp chip this summer could we find playing time for Player X, Marion, Maggette, Dirk, Jet and Kidd? Maggette's not a versatile defender, limiting lineup options. that being said Maggette lives at the line and is built for the playoffs and would definitely help that way.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
RoddyB#3

I'm also interested to see what we could land next off-season. I wonder if that in itself is the problem though. Does that mean the FO isn't worried about what happens this year because of the potential of landing someone for next season? I doubt that is the case, but there may be a little truth there. I just hate the thought of perhaps wasting another year of Dirk just for what might happen in the off-season. I have high hopes what may be coming our way, but I like what you said. Maggette is practically built for the playoffs. He just seems to have the mindset that we have wanted a player on the Mavs to have. ATTACK THE BASKET!!!..........RELENTLESSLY! lol
Old 01-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I would like to have Maggette here but not as the big trade, IGGY or Hamilton are better options if doable
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
RoddyB#3

Right now it looks like Howard for Maggette would be a steal for us.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
mavsfan4lyfe201

mavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these partsmavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these partsmavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these parts

aggreed. maggette is not what id like to be our starting SG. id prefer iggy. then kevin martin. the mavs wont take on dalemberts contract unless cuban is real hard up for iggy...cause wed be giving up howard and dampier...both contracts are big come this summer. itll be interesting to see how it plays out, but we know a title is not in our sights with the lineup as it is now.
mavsfan4lyfe201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
RoddyB#3

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yg2xz45

This deal seems pretty realistic to me. I actually think the only hold up may be Turiaf as GS likes him. Seeing as I'm not sure of Barea's future with this team after this year. Mavs may decide it's best to get Roddy going, and get something for Barea instead of him walking after this season.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

"Maggette continued his torrid month of January, topping 30 points for the fourth time in eight games. He's averaging 28.8 points per game for the month, so make sure he's in your lineup." From the ESPN player profile
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I wouldn't mind Mags for Howard if we couldn't do better but I just don't see him being the player that will get us to that next level. I'd almost just as easily keep Howard and try to package him with Damp in the off-season.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I wouldn't mind Mags for Howard if we couldn't do better but I just don't see him being the player that will get us to that next level. I'd almost just as easily keep Howard and try to package him with Damp in the off-season.
Magette helps on offense, but not defense. IMO, Dallas needs a guy that will do both to get them to the next level.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote